PDA

View Full Version : need some advice??

ORDER 22
01-31-10, 2:25 pm
I am coming off a ankle surgery from getting hurt in football. and im almost able to jog without any problems so cutting without being able to run and only do cardio or eliptical. but im really trying to workout my core a lot more this offseason and build explosiveness which has been my 2 weakpoints as im not so great at powercleaning or hang snatching lifts like those. my bench is coming to be best it has ever been along with my shoulders. legs are lacking due to surgery so im jus trying to get them back to speed. but im looking for some pointers on training core and real explosiveness. at my school we have tires and sledgehammers and have been reading up on them and was thinking about instead of my cardio in the morning i would do that instead a series of tire flips and sledgehammer hits. as far as ive read it works out core helps explosiveness and grip strength. is this a good replacement for cardio or not really. i realy pride myself on my dedication and definitely try harder then all these people at school theres only a few of us on this campus who are as dedicated and we all get that look of why do we do it?..but any advice or other pointers id be greatlyy apreciated

C.Coronato
02-01-10, 3:34 pm
Im sure your burning alot of cals while doing sledge and tires. I would say as long as your consistently moving and doing things, that would be great cardio.

Jwnelsn1
02-01-10, 3:37 pm
Brother,

Honestly man, getting into something tough like flipping tires and sledgehammers; that's not going to help you improve with where you are. Don't get me wrong, stuff like that is graet, and if I had the resources now, I'd be doing them. However, you're coming off ankle surgery. For you, the most important thing right now is to develop proper balance, stabilization, and reaction strength. Ever notice how people who have knee problems, once that knee is fixed, they have problems with their other knee? This is because of two reasons: 1) improper stabilization muscles; the body must stabilize before it can strength; and 2) overuse injuries. This is something we're seeing alot more in our society today due to the fact that high schoolers and younger are focusing on one sport and only the range of motion those sports require. This overdevelops some muscle and underdevelops others. That being said, I'm a personal trainer. My primary focus (other than bodybuilding) is young athletes and injury prevention. So we don't take up to much more space on the board; shoot me a message.
Tell me a little more about yourself; sport you play, how long, age, height, weight, resources at your gym, how you hurt your ankle, etc. the more I can know about you, and what you can/can't do with your resources, the better I can help tailor something for you.
Peace - J

ORDER 22
02-02-10, 11:03 am
Brother,

Honestly man, getting into something tough like flipping tires and sledgehammers; that's not going to help you improve with where you are. Don't get me wrong, stuff like that is graet, and if I had the resources now, I'd be doing them. However, you're coming off ankle surgery. For you, the most important thing right now is to develop proper balance, stabilization, and reaction strength. Ever notice how people who have knee problems, once that knee is fixed, they have problems with their other knee? This is because of two reasons: 1) improper stabilization muscles; the body must stabilize before it can strength; and 2) overuse injuries. This is something we're seeing alot more in our society today due to the fact that high schoolers and younger are focusing on one sport and only the range of motion those sports require. This overdevelops some muscle and underdevelops others. That being said, I'm a personal trainer. My primary focus (other than bodybuilding) is young athletes and injury prevention. So we don't take up to much more space on the board; shoot me a message.
Tell me a little more about yourself; sport you play, how long, age, height, weight, resources at your gym, how you hurt your ankle, etc. the more I can know about you, and what you can/can't do with your resources, the better I can help tailor something for you.
Peace - J
well i play football in college and got hurt blocking i play o-line im about 220 now and 5'10 (i was 240 when this happened) my gym here pretty much ha anthing but kettleballs my official injury was that i fractured my ankle and displaced it and also tore a ligament on the other side so it was a bad one. i have phyical trainers who help their main concern i that i have no range of motion rit now and im working on it.
its hard cuz i wanna get ready fot football and kick some ass but this ankle dont help and im also trying to be an animal which is the hardest as of now im cutting as i will bulk all summer for football (kinda opposite wat evry1 else does) but i bust my ass in and out of the gym anything for my ankle or explosivenes would b great man thanks

zubda345
02-02-10, 2:03 pm
I just cannot win an arm wrestling match I think my arms arent strong enough, what should I do. And yet another thing how to increase my punching power??

hemmy086
02-02-10, 3:06 pm
I just cannot win an arm wrestling match I think my arms arent strong enough, what should I do. And yet another thing how to increase my punching power??

The first thing you should do is stop posting the same question in multiple threads. Second, work your forearms and learn arm wrestling technique. Put the work in.

zubda345
02-03-10, 1:25 pm
OK, That was a mistake, In forearms which exercises should I do?? , and how to develope streach marks on my arms and Chest???

ORDER 22
02-04-10, 12:14 pm
l if anyone has some other techniques that could help me out im really imto the strongman stuff but its too cold in NY to do it rit now. but any suggestions would b great