PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding or Powerlifting?

JDogg31
02-02-10, 11:36 am
I really need some advice... I am a experienced lifter, but haven't lifted in over a year due to lifestyle changes and schedules (a couple little ones and a new career working 24 hour shifts). I was really big into powerlifting/strength training back in the day. Experienced in 4 day, push/pull splits and speed/heavy lifting. But now I am out of school, I don't play football anymore and the sports and lifting has taken it's tole on my body. I have had knee replacement, shoulder dislocated numerous times and pins in my elbow. Though I am still strong and perform cardio regularly to keep fit for my job (firefighter) I would love to get back into competition. I would really like to compete in the bodybuilding world because I still have good mass and knowledge on diet. Could any of you guys help me out on a good routine that involves strength training but also produces good mass. I am stuck on deciding whether or not to follow strenght training principles training everything usually twice a week or following the traditional bodybuilding principles training everything once a week. I have followed programs training everything once a week but say I trained chest on Mondays... When Thursday rolls around I'm ready to lift chest again. Any advice or routines you guys have had success with? Thanks.
JDogg31

T o m m Y
02-02-10, 1:30 pm
Jim Wendler's 5/3/1..

Definitely good for strength and mass,and its so simple to follow..

zubda345
02-02-10, 2:02 pm
I just cannot win an arm wrestling match I think my arms arent strong enough, what should I do. And yet another thing how to increase my punching power??

JDogg31
02-02-10, 2:13 pm
Let me type it up another way:

Does anyone have any routines they have had success with which allowed them to gain strength and size? What is the most effective training frequency?...

Thanks.

T o m m Y
02-02-10, 2:14 pm
Jim Wendler's 5/3/1..

Right here bro...

ghost
02-02-10, 2:15 pm
Let me type it up another way:

Does anyone have any routines they have had success with which allowed them to gain strength and size? What is the most effective training frequency?...

Thanks.

Right here bro...

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1..

he has said it twice now. -shrug. Wendler's program is phenominal..

Bullfrog JJR
02-02-10, 2:17 pm
Jim Wendler's 5/3/1..

agreed. the core lifts are for the strength building aspect as the weight consistently goes up, plus the accessory work is geared toward adding mass. He even states to "train like a bodybuilder" when explaining the accessory work.

JDogg31
02-02-10, 2:26 pm
I have currently been reading about Jim Wendler's Philosophy/Program since you posted it. Was just seeing if anyone else had other ideas. I do like the program... has everything I am looking for. Thanks for the reply.

T o m m Y
02-02-10, 2:32 pm
No problem bro,are you going to post a log so we can follow?

JDogg31
02-02-10, 2:37 pm
I have never posted a log before but there is a first time for everything. Plus I think it will be a good motivator. Keep an eye out for it. Thanks again man.

MELTDOWN
02-02-10, 3:06 pm
Good reads in here....

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=413&section=training

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=407&section=training

I like idea of that PowerBuilder category.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=16627&highlight=bodybuilding+powerlifting

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=8806&highlight=bodybuilding+powerlifting

JDogg31
02-02-10, 3:23 pm
Thanks for the input. I had stumbled across those articles a few times and have pulled ideas from them. Thanks.

theharjmann
02-02-10, 3:49 pm
I am a experienced lifter,
JDogg31

No offence bro, but i dont think you can call yourself an experienced lifter. I think it takes MANY years of training to be call experienced. But yeah what the other guys have said in the thread is spot on.

JDogg31
02-02-10, 3:59 pm
Not trying to be smart or anything... how many years would it take for you to call someone an experienced lifter?

Goliathus
02-02-10, 5:01 pm
man ive spent the psat couple years studying
i mean studying this shit
im 21
and i couldnt come anywhere near calling myself

Goliathus
02-02-10, 5:02 pm
experienced

JDogg31
02-02-10, 5:20 pm
I understand what you mean... but on the other hand IMHO an experienced "lifter" is someone that understands muscel, muscle fibers and knows how to change, form and develop them into a specific goal and has first hand experience in doing so. I don't think you can put a "number" on how many years someone has been lifting to become experienced. Does an experienced lifter have to know exactly what is going on with each cell and tissue in the body at any given time? Or does he/she need to know how to train them to reach a specific goal? I'm not disagreeing with you because it all takes "time". A lot of time. But if you only train for 5 hours a week and I train for 8 hours a week but we both start at the same time... who becomes an experienced lifter first? All I am saying is I am experienced in powerlifting... it is my bread and butter. I have been lifting for 6 years and competed for 4 of the last 6. No breaks... not off and on... using programs like Dartfish for studying technique in power movement/olympic movements. Studying. I may not know "everything" about how the body works... but I do know how I have trained and how my body has responded for me on a personal level. I just wanted people's opinion on training frequencies and routines they have been successful in. I have taken a year off to deal with life, stress, family and careers. I honestly have lost a lot of my "want to" over the past year. Just trying to get back into the game.

Goliathus
02-02-10, 5:31 pm
Man if you've lost intrinsic motivation over time, looking at a program and what it may do for you isn't the way to do get back into it

Goliathus
02-02-10, 5:34 pm
Now with that
you cant jump right back into it like you used to
come into it easy so you dont burn yourself out

JDogg31
02-02-10, 5:52 pm
I agree with you on that... I'm not really looking for a routine to get me back into it. I am kinda give'n up the powerlifting thing. I have a family and a career that really requires me to have endurance along with strength. I didn't see the point in beating myself up to bench 500 pounds or squat 750. I would rather build lean muscle that I can use every day on the job. But I am not experienced in bodybuilding or any other kind of lifting outside of power/olympic lifting. And yeah I will have to take it slow... Cold days hurt worse than warmer ones haha, that's the truth. I feel like I need to stretch sometimes to take a shit, afraid I might pull something. I'm young but I'm beat up. Bout to be 22 going on 50

MELTDOWN
02-02-10, 11:42 pm
I agree with you on that... I'm not really looking for a routine to get me back into it. I am kinda give'n up the powerlifting thing. I have a family and a career that really requires me to have endurance along with strength. I didn't see the point in beating myself up to bench 500 pounds or squat 750. I would rather build lean muscle that I can use every day on the job. But I am not experienced in bodybuilding or any other kind of lifting outside of power/olympic lifting. And yeah I will have to take it slow... Cold days hurt worse than warmer ones haha, that's the truth. I feel like I need to stretch sometimes to take a shit, afraid I might pull something. I'm young but I'm beat up. Bout to be 22 going on 50

Good mindset man. Reality creates necessity. Being a family, career, extreme hobby man myself puts big light on some small problems, areas, and/or issues. Couple years back I willed myself to 251lbs. Good mental and physical goal, loved being big and strong, but decided to back it way down when: A) wiping/washing my azz was a problem, B) another set of $1800 custom racing leathers were bought, and C) king size bed was too small. Not to mention all the other issues at 40+ y/o.
Good, strong, flexable, usable muscle is where I like to be today. Solid, simple, basic movements combined with some pump and muscle contacting routines along with a ultra clean diet got me down to 228lb today.
Your brain seems on straight, take the time to re adjust and your mind and body will let ya know what works and what doesn't.
Carry On !!!