PDA

View Full Version : Lending a Helping Hand

TheGreatWhite
02-03-10, 2:23 am
"Hey man, need a spot?"

From California, to my home state of Indiana to the East Coast, that same familiar phrase is uttered in gyms throughout the nation. Whether you're in a powerlifting gym like West Side Barbell or in your local health club, people are always willing to lend a helping hand.

At the gym I work and train at, most of our members are willing to help and APPRECIATE the help when they get it. Notice I put "appreciate" in all caps. There are a select few who still think they know it all and don't need any help. I'm calling bullshit on this. I have seen it first hand a few times since we opened our doors this past September.

If this seems like a rant, I apologize, but when someone is offering their energy and time to help you with something, just out of good will, and you don't accept it, boy you talk about getting me pissed. I was killing time between my clients tonight and there was a new member who was trying to put up a big flat bench. I'm only 20, and this guy was about 27. I asked if he needed a spot or a lift off.....very quickly he replied "hell no, I don't need any of that". I thought to myself, "hmm, okay smart ass...let's see how hard you drop this on your chest". I stuck around really close to the bench he was at. The bar was loaded up with 250 lbs....going for 2-3 reps with no spotter....that's plain dumb. As I predicted, he couldn't get it off his chest. Good thing I was nearby with a few other members, who quickly removed the bar form his chest. I went over to him and said "dude, not trying to rub anything in your face, but if you need a spot, don't be afraid to ask...everyone's willing to help eachother around here." He kind of looked at me with a dazed expression.

The reason I am writing this is simple: In life, too many people think they know it all, when in reality they don't. People don't think that they need any help at all. Helping people is my job, and man do I love it. In my gym, I'm the "authority" when it comes to fitness. But outside, I'm thirsty to learn more and to find help wherever I can.

It's really simple....if someone is willing to help you in whatever path you take in life, don't ignore them. You never know what type of friendships you may make and the knowledge you may acquire....

Ardent
02-03-10, 2:32 am
Very well said, I couldn't agree more. The way peoples minds are geared, were made to bounce off each-other in terms of knowledge.

violator
02-03-10, 5:34 am
great post...

Girevik 69
02-03-10, 11:27 am
The reason I am writing this is simple: In life, too many people think they know it all, when in reality they don't. People don't think that they need any help at all. Helping people is my job, and man do I love it. In my gym, I'm the "authority" when it comes to fitness. But outside, I'm thirsty to learn more and to find help wherever I can.

It's really simple....if someone is willing to help you in whatever path you take in life, don't ignore them. You never know what type of friendships you may make and the knowledge you may acquire....

Very well said, bro.

ironshaolin
02-03-10, 11:33 am
Yes, or at least courteously decline. Or, ask them to just stand by there but don't touch it. I've had people come up in the gym and spot me on a lift that didn't need spotting. And I feel MOST people in the gym don't understand proper spotting. If I can't lift a weight by myself, then I can't lift that weight. Sometimes, I'll attempt a heavy single or double, and ask someone to spot just out of concern. They end up taking off all the load, and its more like you lifted 30lbs less than what you were attempting.
With my own training, I follow a progressive cycle. If I know I hit 230 on the bench for 3 reps the week before, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to hit 235. I don't really need a spotter there to touch the bar. However, some people like to be stupid and say, well I did 185 for 6 reps last week, let me try 315 today.
So, you're right, this guys arrogance definately got him in trouble. At the same time, I don't think you should HAVE to take help from someone just because they offered, especially if you prefer to do it yourself. But decline respectfully.

GJN5002
02-03-10, 11:48 am
Great Post.

Spotting people or getting a spot is the way Ive made most of my friends at the gym. You get a spot, strike up a convo about the lift or give/get a tip. If someone is too bull headed, oh well, they deserve a little humiliation when 3 guys rush over to save their life.

TheGreatWhite
02-03-10, 4:35 pm
Yes, or at least courteously decline. Or, ask them to just stand by there but don't touch it. I've had people come up in the gym and spot me on a lift that didn't need spotting. And I feel MOST people in the gym don't understand proper spotting. If I can't lift a weight by myself, then I can't lift that weight. Sometimes, I'll attempt a heavy single or double, and ask someone to spot just out of concern. They end up taking off all the load, and its more like you lifted 30lbs less than what you were attempting.
With my own training, I follow a progressive cycle. If I know I hit 230 on the bench for 3 reps the week before, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to hit 235. I don't really need a spotter there to touch the bar. However, some people like to be stupid and say, well I did 185 for 6 reps last week, let me try 315 today.
So, you're right, this guys arrogance definately got him in trouble. At the same time, I don't think you should HAVE to take help from someone just because they offered, especially if you prefer to do it yourself. But decline respectfully.

I totally understand you bro, but this wasn't a typical post on how to spot properly...more so that when someone lends a helping hand, take advantage of it. I understand the whole respectively decline portion, and you couldn't have said it any better...this dude just blew everyone off and then had a big slice of humble pie 10 seconds afterwards lol. Just seems like with my experiences so far with life, if someone wants to help you, atleast hear them out, then make your decision.