PDA

View Full Version : go heavy , then go light,..then go home

Joseph V
02-03-10, 4:38 pm
i was reading and before i say what i gotta say im a true believer on this type of training because i got the biggest pumps in my life, and if you wanna know how graciously huge the pump was,...think of the time when you first woked out your arms, biceps atriceps, and forearms for the first time...HUGEE pump

by going heavy with the basic movements that work out for example the tricep PRIMARILY ..and then doing 2 to 3 exercises that also focus on the tricep but not as heavy

going heavy are exercises you NEEED for streangth and growth. snd by doing 2 or 3 exercises you WANT increases the overall pump you get out of your workout

heres what i did for my triceps workout using this type of training

NEED: close grip bench press ( 4 sets, 6 reps)
seated overhead DB press ( 4 sets, 6 reps)

Want: V-Bar pushdowns ( 5sets, 15 reps)
chained dips( 5 sets, 12-15 reps) * squeez each rep*
overhead skullcrushers ( 5 sets, 12 reps)

note: when doing the "NEED" exercises take 2 to 3 minutes of rest since your going extremely heavy..and for your "WANTS" take no more then 30 seconds because your goal here is to try and push as much blood as possible into your ticeps..I FORGOT to add earlier that he heavy movements are meant to basically tear small fibers in your muscle and as you may know alrwady that hen your in the gym your there to tear and push blood as much as possible into the muscle....the recovery starts when your at home EATING.

HOCKEY TEMPER
02-03-10, 4:44 pm
Bro, I been training in this manner for the majority of my life. Heavy compound movements in the beginning, then sets of 15-20 reps on the iso-exercises towards the end. Love it.

Legacy
02-03-10, 4:51 pm
I agree to some extent with ya man. Obviously heavy compound moves are the way to go because there is nothing better than straight power (if power is your goal). Then following up with a few other moves to really gorge the blood in your muscles is good thinking. I have incorporated some of my training like that. Usually I'll do the large power moves first based on percentages, (bench, squat, deads, power cleans, CGB) then do a few other exercises to get that pump.

Nothing like looking like your powerful and also performing the way you look. G Diesel knows about that, "I don't wanna be the guy that looks big but is weak, nor do I wanna be the guy who is strong as shit but not big."

FYI - I think your tricep routine above can be toned down a little bit man, if I was reading it right, looks like you were doing 24 sets for tris, a little too much lol, unless your body is responding to it man. TRAIN HARD

Joseph V
02-03-10, 6:06 pm
i honeslty can say they are responsinf well,.and i cant show photos for now cause my big brother whos 20 and in colllege is using it..but what i can say is that ive gained 3 pounds combined on both triceps starting off

ill take your adivce at hand and what i will do is cut out one exericse making it 19 or 20 sets i believe im doing...but heres the thing..your bicep consists of 2 heads when your tris consists of 3 heads..and the rule of thumb for big ass tris is to kill em just as hard as if you where woerking out your biceps

Joseph V
02-03-10, 6:08 pm
i want to correct what i was saying about the training system i posted up..

on the same body part for example you are doing chest then triceps..

go heavy then light on chest,..and go heavy then light on triceps

Deathride
02-03-10, 7:16 pm
Tis exactly what i've started doing. Push a HEAVY 5*5 on the deads/bench/squat, then rep out some high rep sets of, for example, pulls and rows / inclines and flies / zerchers and extensions.

Brilliant workouts in not much time also!

Legacy
02-03-10, 10:10 pm
i honeslty can say they are responsinf well,.and i cant show photos for now cause my big brother whos 20 and in colllege is using it..but what i can say is that ive gained 3 pounds combined on both triceps starting off

ill take your adivce at hand and what i will do is cut out one exericse making it 19 or 20 sets i believe im doing...but heres the thing..your bicep consists of 2 heads when your tris consists of 3 heads..and the rule of thumb for big ass tris is to kill em just as hard as if you where woerking out your biceps

I understand what you are saying, however on the other hand, it is physiologically impossible to individually stimulate both heads of the bicep and three heads of the triceps independently. In relative terms, the muscles in the arms are a lot smaller than muscles such as your legs and back. On top of all that as well, your arms do help with pushing and pressing movements so they are indirectly worked on a daily basis in the gym.

You can keep doing your 20 sets for tris, but eventually you will probably overtrain, unless you have some help, if you know what I mean.

MrMonday
02-04-10, 12:49 am
I train in a similar sort of way. I think a lot of people do.

My reps typically increase as my workout goes on, with 6-8 reps for my mainstay exercises, and I continue widdling down through more isolated exercises with 8-10 reps, then finally 12-15.

Briefly in response to the "20 sets for triceps will lead to overtraining" comment, not everybody is the same. On top of the fact that each person's body has an individual physiology, you also need to understand that our bodies are literally adaptation machines.

Although a beginner should not begin training by doing 20 sets for triceps and 20 sets for biceps, over time they could progress from 9-12 sets per muscle up to 18-25 sets once they know what they're doing (even then it is both a personal preference and dictated by results).

It is not uncommon for me to do 20 sets for chest, back, shoulders, or thighs. As long as I am eating enough, I don't overtrain.

jeff00z28
02-04-10, 1:17 am
dips > overhead dumbell extensions

shizz702
02-04-10, 8:14 am
I like having heavy and light days. By doing that you can still train for power and strength, and hypertrophy.

I pretty much always base my workouts on this general format: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20292

RedCard03
02-04-10, 8:04 pm
looks like am gonna give it a shot when i hit the tris and pecs

Joseph V
02-08-10, 10:16 pm
I understand what you are saying, however on the other hand, it is physiologically impossible to individually stimulate both heads of the bicep and three heads of the triceps independently. In relative terms, the muscles in the arms are a lot smaller than muscles such as your legs and back. On top of all that as well, your arms do help with pushing and pressing movements so they are indirectly worked on a daily basis in the gym.

You can keep doing your 20 sets for tris, but eventually you will probably overtrain, unless you have some help, if you know what I mean.

i know what you mean lol,..but as long as i can go without using that ill stick to just my supplements and food..only the future holds to whether its a "must" to win or not.