PDA

View Full Version : Troy Barbell

Max-Angle
02-13-10, 9:58 am
How much does a troy barbell hold, a standard not an olympic? If not alot im looking for a 7' standard barbell that holds alot of weight but it not like 2-300$ any suggestions would be really appreciated, if this is against the rules i am very sorry and it can be deleted imediatly i am very sorry if it is please don't kick me off the forvm if it is, thank you.

FITGYM
02-13-10, 11:02 am
The standard bars usually came with about 500lb weight set max. Some I'd guess that anymore than that you will most likely bend the bar.

If you put 650lbs or more on an olympic bar they begin to bend depending on the movement.

How much are you trying to put on the bar? This would be helpful in determining if you should get a texas power bar.

Max-Angle
02-13-10, 11:06 am
The standard bars usually came with about 500lb weight set max. Some I'd guess that anymore than that you will most likely bend the bar.

If you put 650lbs or more on an olympic bar they begin to bend depending on the movement.

How much are you trying to put on the bar? This would be helpful in determining if you should get a texas power bar.

I only bench 180 max right now, i deadlift 305, and i squat 210, i need a standard 1' hole bar

Max-Angle
02-13-10, 11:16 am
I only bench 180 max right now, i deadlift 305, and i squat 210, i need a standard 1' hole bar

I don't use a belt so keep that in mind cuz i like to do all my excersises raw

intoodeep25
02-13-10, 11:33 am
im not seeing why you need a barbell that can hold alot of weight if those are your lifts? any old barbell would be fine for you

Max-Angle
02-13-10, 11:37 am
im not seeing why you need a barbell that can hold alot of weight if those are your lifts? any old barbell would be fine for you

well eventually ill lift big right so why wouldn't i get one now and i just basically need a good quality barbell that 7' 1 inch holes for my squat rack

intoodeep25
02-13-10, 1:15 pm
dont mean to be a debby downer but the day that your gonna need a heavy duty bar is years and years away my friend. i would invest in something else thatll help your progress in the here and now and then worry about that heavy duty bar down the road when you really need it. just my opinion, trying to help you out man

Max-Angle
02-13-10, 1:31 pm
dont mean to be a debby downer but the day that your gonna need a heavy duty bar is years and years away my friend. i would invest in something else thatll help your progress in the here and now and then worry about that heavy duty bar down the road when you really need it. just my opinion, trying to help you out man

I understand completly but what kind of 7' 1 inch hole bar would you suggest right now?

intoodeep25
02-13-10, 2:05 pm
id go to a used sporting goods store, such as play it again sports, or look on craigslist to find just a basic, cheap standard barbell. then you can use the leftover money you would have spent on a more expensive bar and pick up something else, such as more plates, different cable attachments, an EZ bar, or any other piece of equipment that will help you bring up any body parts. these power bars are $300+, much wiser to spend that money on things that will help you get to the point where you actually need that bar. feel me?

PORTERHOUSE
02-13-10, 2:45 pm
id go to a used sporting goods store, such as play it again sports, or look on craigslist to find just a basic, cheap standard barbell. then you can use the leftover money you would have spent on a more expensive bar and pick up something else, such as more plates, different cable attachments, an EZ bar, or any other piece of equipment that will help you bring up any body parts. these power bars are $300+, much wiser to spend that money on things that will help you get to the point where you actually need that bar. feel me?

I would Def. go this route.

Muscleguy93
02-13-10, 3:09 pm
FITGYM is right... they hold about approx 500 before it bends.

Iron 3
02-13-10, 4:11 pm
Do you mean the standard 1" size like this??
http://www.fitness-superstore.ca/images/York_home/York%20Pro%20Plate.jpg

Even though olympic sized kind of makes you think about olympic lifting, powerlifters and bodybuiders use "olympic" sized equipment too. Those are really the only two sizes I've ever heard of anyway.

Either way, I wouldn't waste my money buying shit just cuz you're not currently as strong as you'd like to be. If you stay with it you'll get stronger, and you'll just need to buy another one in the future. Why screw yourself and put yourself at a disadvantage because you're relatively weak when you could be using a good bar NOW and get stronger faster? Using a crappy bar (and equipment in general) will definately impeed your progress. And would you really want to depend on a piece of shit to hold weight on your back and over your FACE? I wouldn't. And if you're building a garage gym that means you're probably sick of shitty equipment at gyms, so why buy more?? And once it breaks, you'll have to spend even more money to finally get something worth using.

Nothing beats the feel of using a quality bar in your hands (or on your back). A texas power bar (made by Troy) is definately worth it. I'm sure there are other good bars out there, but I don't have experience with them. Maybe do some research and see if there's another one you want to go with, but a TPB can't really be beat as far as versatility and price goes.

I ordered basically this for my garage gym: http://www.g2fitnessproducts.com/troybarbellpo500lbblackolympicweightset.aspx

However, it's out of stock. I think Troy stopped making those sets, or it was another similar set that isn't on the website any longer, I'm not sure, but keep an eye on it if you want. I upgraded to the TPB. I wasn't going to go with out one, and it was a big factor in who / where I bought the weights from.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I have to say. Hopefully you found at least some of it useful. Good luck.

Max-Angle
02-13-10, 10:50 pm
http://underbid.com/product/710-697145/TRYB307/Troy_Barbell_GRB-84_Standard_7_Foot_Bar.html?ref=base

Max-Angle
02-14-10, 12:49 pm
http://underbid.com/product/710-697145/TRYB307/Troy_Barbell_GRB-84_Standard_7_Foot_Bar.html?ref=base

Does anyone know if this site is trustworthy?

FITGYM
02-14-10, 1:14 pm
I don't know that site. If I come across a bar in my travels I will gladly grab it for you

Max-Angle
02-14-10, 1:19 pm
I don't know that site. If I come across a bar in my travels I will gladly grab it for you

How would that work?

FITGYM
02-14-10, 1:20 pm

Have you tried a local flea market in your area. They usually have these kinds of weights and bars for sale cheap.

FITGYM
02-14-10, 1:22 pm
How would that work?

Postal Service can ship this when packed right.

Max-Angle
02-14-10, 1:27 pm
Postal Service can ship this when packed right.

No i mean like when would you get it, id be paying for it im assuming, why would you do that for me, i want to get it as soon as possible is all im worrying about because i believe my leg gains will suffer and no there are no flea markets near me that would have that kind of stuff

Muscleguy93
02-14-10, 3:27 pm
http://www.pacillo.com/detail.asp?product=250

I Hope this will shut you up... Just kidding. not sure how reliable the other website you linked is. But I have bought from this website many times and they never let me down. Shipping isnt too much and got to me on time.

Max-Angle
02-14-10, 3:39 pm
http://www.pacillo.com/detail.asp?product=250

I Hope this will shut you up... Just kidding. not sure how reliable the other website you linked is. But I have bought from this website many times and they never let me down. Shipping isnt too much and got to me on time.

K thanks man, ill go with them and get it over with, and FITGYM Thanks for the offer