PDA

View Full Version : Scals on Stage In May

scals
02-14-10, 9:53 pm
Sitting here tonight, drinking a Iso Whey shake, really thinking about how far I've come since last year. I was supposed to make my stage debut last August, but tore a piece of my tricep and was out for 9 weeks. Definitely struggled mentally during that period, really questioning whether or not this was for me. Got back in the gym in the beginning of July and got going again. It was a slow start, but I eventually gained momentum and started rolling again. I knew that I wanted to do this, and had what it took. I partnered up with my trainer in late September and came up with a game plan for this year. The two definite shows that we discussed were the NPC Natural Mid-Atlantic and the NGA Philly. With them ending up being on the same day, I opted out of the Philly show and moved to the OCB Richmond.

I have been dieting since 11/1. It has definitely been a tough road, but something that has been totally worth it. I started my diet at 232-233, and currently 11 weeks out am 201 @ 9.7%. I have been doing a ketogenic approach with two days of re-feeds. I know there's a ton of controversy surrounding the diet, but I can say that it has definitely worked for me. Training has been a roller coaster as well. My coach has thrown every different thing at me, from high reps to low reps and different splits. I have to say though, whatever he's doing, it works. I have brought up my chest to match my delts, and my back has a ton of detail. Still woking on the arms and legs.

I really want to thank everyone that has supported me throughout the ride this year. Definitely wanna give a shout out to G Diesel and Big Ant. Whenever I'm at my parents place in Philly I try to get a workout in, and they're always awesome. Broc and Burt, my VA brothers, and TTL, Aggression, and RK, my NJ/PA brothers. The constant support, either on here or the texts lol. Also, Universal/Animal for all the great opportunities that they have given me, I truly appreciate it.

The point of this thread is to post what I'm feeling like as I get closer to show time. I would love for you all to follow along as I make my show debut, and try to rock the house.

jac71
02-14-10, 10:29 pm
Definitely will jump on here for the ride!!

RK
02-14-10, 10:51 pm
I'm down for this man. Really looking forward to May 1st

Phil800101
02-15-10, 12:54 am
You know I'm down for this...can't wait to see you killing it up on that stage bro!

Mr. Dead
02-15-10, 12:56 am
Knock it out, bro!!!

belladiabla13
02-15-10, 1:13 am
Good luck!

firsthorseman97
02-15-10, 6:58 am
Count me in.

mritter3
02-15-10, 9:02 am
def. in for this one scals....ur gonna tear it up man.

B Con
02-15-10, 10:31 am
SUBBED.

Thanks for the shout out. Keep doing your thing and as always I'm gonna support ya. Glad you found a diet/training regime that is really working for you and look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

C.Coronato
02-15-10, 1:43 pm
Yea buddy. I can NOT wait for this.

Birdman
02-15-10, 1:52 pm
Good luck bro im subbed for this!

G Diesel
02-15-10, 1:53 pm
Your attitude, dedication and heart make me proud bro.

The rest is just details, but when the day arrives I know you're going to do work.

Peace, G

scals
02-15-10, 2:07 pm
Definitely will jump on here for the ride!!

Thanks brother. I appreciate it.

I'm down for this man. Really looking forward to May 1st

It's gonna be unreal. Being close to home and having everyone there is gonna mean the world.

You know I'm down for this...can't wait to see you killing it up on that stage bro!

Thanks Phil. I won't quit until I do.

Knock it out, bro!!!

Will do MD.

Good luck!

Thank you. See ya in a couple weeks.

Count me in.

Thanks Ryan.

def. in for this one scals....ur gonna tear it up man.

Thanks brother. Very focused right now. Got to kick Aggressions ass at the Arnold then go back to rockin the prep.

SUBBED.

Thanks for the shout out. Keep doing your thing and as always I'm gonna support ya. Glad you found a diet/training regime that is really working for you and look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

No doubt bro. I know ya will, thats why we're boyz. 2.5 weeks cant come soon enough.

Yea buddy. I can NOT wait for this.

Thanks bro. Really amped up.

Good luck bro im subbed for this!

Thanks for the support bro.

Your attitude, dedication and heart make me proud bro.

The rest is just details, but when the day arrives I know you're going to do work.

Peace, G

Thanks G. I appreciate everything you've done for me, and I will continue to make ya proud.

Firedrake
02-15-10, 3:45 pm
Count me in! I'm following anyone's contest prep as mine's just getting rolling.

JUGGERNAUT
02-15-10, 3:51 pm
Awesome! Do it up!

scals
02-21-10, 3:51 pm
Count me in! I'm following anyone's contest prep as mine's just getting rolling.

Awesome! Do it up!

Thanks guys. Appreciate the support.

scals
02-21-10, 3:59 pm
Ight another week down. Pretty good week. Workouts were pretty solid. Diet was on point. Went to NYC this weekend. Hung out with great guys, aka Big Al, TTL, and G Diesel. Found a solid salad joint down the street and had a couple meals of grilled chicken over spinach. When I got to Bev Francis Powerhouse Saturday night, I weighed in 199.6. So officially under 200 for the first time in maybe 5 or so years. Definitely a weird feeling. But the conditioning is definitely coming along. Strength is still good for the most part. The one thing that I lacked this week was sleep. Need to get on a better sleep cycle to optimize my energy and recovery.

Looking down the road, the Arnold is coming up in less than 2 weeks. I'm definitely excited about that. The overall experience is going to be awesome. From being an intern, to being a part of the Pros and bros versus Aggression, to being able to train with the Freak, it is going to be an amazing weekend. I'm going to continue to rock and roll with the same split, diet, and cardio sessions. Good things are happening, and I like it.

sodapop
02-21-10, 6:36 pm
This is awesome bro. Best of luck to you. You're definitely workin' fucking hard.

widdlewade44
02-21-10, 7:12 pm
Good luck brother, I'm in for the ride!

Kevin
widdlewade44

Beach91
02-22-10, 11:09 am
Subbed, May will be your Month bro!

C.Coronato
02-22-10, 11:13 am
Good to chill this weekend brother, and ya your damn lean. Keep on the solid strides forward and you will be all set homie. See you in 2 weeks.

Phil800101
02-22-10, 2:21 pm
Sounds good bro, keep it up!

RK
02-22-10, 5:41 pm
Sounds like an awesome weekend brother. Keep your eye on your goals. Dont be missin meals out in Ohio cause your chasing the fitness girls around LOL. Keep the fist pumpin down too, it doesnt count as cardio hahahaha But i better see a win on the dead lift competition though!

scals
02-28-10, 1:24 pm
This is awesome bro. Best of luck to you. You're definitely workin' fucking hard.

Thanks brother. I got 9 weeks left to whoop my ass, then everyone else's!

Good luck brother, I'm in for the ride!

Kevin
widdlewade44

Thanks brother. Appreciate the support.

Subbed, May will be your Month bro!

Thanks Beach. I sure hope so.

Good to chill this weekend brother, and ya your damn lean. Keep on the solid strides forward and you will be all set homie. See you in 2 weeks.

Absolutely bro. Thanks. I have a solid group in my corner.

Sounds good bro, keep it up!

Thanks Phil.

Sounds like an awesome weekend brother. Keep your eye on your goals. Dont be missin meals out in Ohio cause your chasing the fitness girls around LOL. Keep the fist pumpin down too, it doesnt count as cardio hahahaha But i better see a win on the dead lift competition though!

Hahaha. The fitness girls may throw me off, but BigAnt will get me back on track (if he's not mesmerized too LOL). I'm gonna take no names in the dead comp. I got this.

scals
02-28-10, 1:30 pm
Feeling pretty good. Strength is still rollin along. I am getting a lil tired throughout the workout but I figure being sub 200 lbs for the first time in 6 years might do that to a guy LOL. Cardio is remaining the same. Hittin some more if I have time. Started seeing some real good separation in my pecs while hitting some cable flyes this week. Back has gained a ton of detail. Still working on bringing the detail in my arms up. That seems to be the only parts that are having a hard time. All in all everything is straight.

Next week is the Arnold Classic. Gonna be a great time. Interning on Friday, then training with The Freak Friday night. Then the infamous 225 deads for reps verus Aggression. Tested the waters yesterday, and after a hellacious workout went and did deads. Got 225 42 times then rested 1 minute got another 20, then rested another 1 minute and banged out 10 more. This was all after pulling 405 for 10 too. I feel confident we're both going to bring it, so it's gonna be a must-see next Sunday in the Cage. Can't wait to see everyone there.

Firedrake
02-28-10, 1:48 pm
I'm really looking forward to seeing you! Sounds like things are coming along. I want pictures this weekend!

scals
02-28-10, 1:49 pm
I'm really looking forward to seeing you! Sounds like things are coming along. I want pictures this weekend!

You got it my brother. I'm definitely looking forward to see ya as well. Hope we can get a lift in, like we said a year ago :)

Phil800101
03-01-10, 2:06 am
Solid bro! Good deal.

Less than a week now...

scals
03-13-10, 9:21 pm
Solid bro! Good deal.

Less than a week now...

It was a great time bro.

scals
03-13-10, 9:26 pm
The Arnold Classic has come and gone. Deadlifted 225 for 50 reps and defeated Aggression like I said I would :) Next year's powerlifting meet between the two of us should turn some heads. Neither one will be dieting, so it's on. Anyway, 7 weeks left til the NPC Natural Mid Atlantic in Jersey. It's crunch time. Weighing in at 196.5 today. Met with my trainer today. Changed some things up going into the last weeks of prep. Decreased some fats from the diet and upped the rep range of the training. Went from a range of 8-12 to 12-20. Weights are going to come down, but the intensity definitely will not. I am ready to do it.

On another note, I received excellent news this week. I was named the new SportPharma Rep. I am very excited to represent such an amazing company. There's gonna be some cool shit going down in the near future.

PIJW
03-13-10, 9:35 pm
The Arnold Classic has come and gone. Deadlifted 225 for 50 reps and defeated Aggression like I said I would :) Next year's powerlifting meet between the two of us should turn some heads. Neither one will be dieting, so it's on. Anyway, 7 weeks left til the NPC Natural Mid Atlantic in Jersey. It's crunch time. Weighing in at 196.5 today. Met with my trainer today. Changed some things up going into the last weeks of prep. Decreased some fats from the diet and upped the rep range of the training. Went from a range of 8-12 to 12-20. Weights are going to come down, but the intensity definitely will not. I am ready to do it.

On another note, I received excellent news this week. I was named the new SportPharma Rep. I am very excited to represent such an amazing company. There's gonna be some cool shit going down in the near future.

Can't wait to see the results in May and those were come killer lifts even though you were dieting.

Phil800101
03-14-10, 4:43 am
Hell yeah, bring it bro!

Congrats!

scals
03-26-10, 9:27 pm
Man, oh man. Where has the time gone? I can't believe I am just 5 weeks out of the first show of my life. It is very exciting and very nerve racking all at the same time. Some days I look spectular and feel like I can take the whole show. Then there are days that I feel like I look like I haven't worked out in 6 months. I know it's all in my head, but shit, it taxes ya. Been sticking it out with keto. I definitely feel that has its pros and cons. I don't know if I will go the same route in the future, but I recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it and is looking for something different. Last week my trainer moved my rep range from 8-12 to 12-20. Damn that's a lot of reps. Still handling decently heavy weight. I just got a new split today. Gonna push it for the next couple of weeks, then get up on that stage. It's gonna be a fun ride the next 5 weeks. Hope you come along.

Lowdown5
03-26-10, 10:00 pm
Keep doing your thing scals, enjoy the ride getting there.

Phil800101
03-26-10, 11:21 pm
Hell yeah! Keep it up bro.

Firedrake
03-27-10, 1:35 am
I wouldn't miss it for the world, Steve! You got this, son! (Now, I want you to come back and kick my ass for me in another 12 weeks when I'M down this far . . . <grin>)

I'm serious -- you're going to knock 'em dead!

JUGGERNAUT
03-29-10, 10:15 am
This is where you really dig in and see the results, crank it up scals. The suffering is worth it.

RK
03-29-10, 5:29 pm
Can't wait for your show bro! Looking forward to get a sneak peek on Sat. Greg Longs better watch out.

Mr. Dead
03-29-10, 6:31 pm
That clock's tickin'... How are ya doing...???

scals
03-30-10, 7:12 pm
Keep doing your thing scals, enjoy the ride getting there.

Thanks LD. Lovin every second.

Hell yeah! Keep it up bro.

Thanks Phil.

I wouldn't miss it for the world, Steve! You got this, son! (Now, I want you to come back and kick my ass for me in another 12 weeks when I'M down this far . . . <grin>)

I'm serious -- you're going to knock 'em dead!

Thanks Drake. I appreciate your constant support. It helps get me through those tough days.

This is where you really dig in and see the results, crank it up scals. The suffering is worth it.

Will do Juggs. I'm psyched for the torture.

Can't wait for your show bro! Looking forward to get a sneak peek on Sat. Greg Longs better watch out.

Thanks bro. I'm psyched to get some good feedback. Definitely have areas that still need help but hopefully those come in soon.

That clock's tickin'... How are ya doing...???

Doing well. Things are looking pretty good. Still carrying some fat in the lower abs and lower back. Hitting cardio hard and staying strict on the diet. Need it to come off soon.

C.Coronato
03-31-10, 10:28 am
4.5 weeks .. ohhhhh boy!!!!

scals
03-31-10, 2:33 pm
4.5 weeks .. ohhhhh boy!!!!

It's gettin crazy!

Firedrake
03-31-10, 2:35 pm
It's gettin crazy!

Nah. You're already crazy! <grin>

Mr. Dead
03-31-10, 2:36 pm
Tick... Tick... Tick... That clock's tickin'... How are ya doin'...???

scals
03-31-10, 2:41 pm
Nah. You're already crazy! <grin>

Fact, LOL

Tick... Tick... Tick... That clock's tickin'... How are ya doin'...???

Doing well. Strict the last 4.5 weeks and it's mine!

Mr. Dead
03-31-10, 2:47 pm
Doing well. Strict the last 4.5 weeks and it's mine!

Sweet!!!

NJC_Manhattan
04-06-10, 8:19 pm
Things are about to get weird for the last 4.5 weeks my friend. Keep up the good work

scals
04-06-10, 8:20 pm
Things are about to get weird for the last 4.5 weeks my friend. Keep up the good work

Hell yea bro. Sitting 25 days off. Still plenty of work to do.

mritter3
04-06-10, 8:34 pm
Hell yea bro. Sitting 25 days off. Still plenty of work to do.

25 days huh...def a lot of time scals....just keep progressing and you will tear that stage up man...you def got that fire to do so.

scals
04-07-10, 4:41 am
25 days huh...def a lot of time scals....just keep progressing and you will tear that stage up man...you def got that fire to do so.

Thanks bro. Definitely enough time to make the changes necessary. I have a good feeling.

B Con
04-07-10, 10:29 am
You better video your routine for those that can't make it...

scals
04-07-10, 8:09 pm
You better video your routine for those that can't make it...

I'm sure someone will...

scals
04-17-10, 10:39 pm
Can't believe it is this close to the show. I never thought it would actually come. 2 more weeks until I get my ass on stage. Weighin in at 187 right now. I have not been this light in quite some time. Definitely an interesting feeling. I feel ready to do this. It's been a long, tough road but defiinitely worth every second of it, win, lose or draw. Working next week, and taking off the final week before the show. Doing some simple training at this point. Nothing crazy, but definitely getting the job done.

Firedrake
04-18-10, 12:40 am
Get it done, Bro! You've had a hard struggle, and worked your ass and several other parts of your body off! The package is ready!

BigAnt
04-18-10, 12:43 am
Finish your prep strong..pose-pose and pose more...pre-cook your foods and do your cardio!

Strength train to maintain and be careful of injuries...and call to make your spray tan appt.

If you want to come down and go over music-night time posing routines...hit me up!

Matt is FINALLY ready!

scals
04-18-10, 9:51 am
Get it done, Bro! You've had a hard struggle, and worked your ass and several other parts of your body off! The package is ready!

Thanks for your support throughout Drake. Time to bring it home.

Finish your prep strong..pose-pose and pose more...pre-cook your foods and do your cardio!

Strength train to maintain and be careful of injuries...and call to make your spray tan appt.

If you want to come down and go over music-night time posing routines...hit me up!

Matt is FINALLY ready!

Will do. I'll be home on Friday. I'll hit ya up and see if we can go over the routine.

Phil800101
04-18-10, 9:37 pm
Hell yeah Steve! I know you're going to do some damage up on that stage.

B Con
04-19-10, 9:51 am
My man is on point like a razor.... yes sir stay focused brother.

J-Dawg
04-19-10, 10:32 am
Can't believe it is this close to the show. I never thought it would actually come. 2 more weeks until I get my ass on stage. Weighin in at 187 right now. I have not been this light in quite some time. Definitely an interesting feeling. I feel ready to do this. It's been a long, tough road but defiinitely worth every second of it, win, lose or draw. Working next week, and taking off the final week before the show. Doing some simple training at this point. Nothing crazy, but definitely getting the job done.

Nice Steve. You're almost there brother. Just some fine tuning for these last two weeks.

Mr. Dead
04-19-10, 11:12 am
You got this, bro!!! Nothing to do, but bring it on home!!!

scals
04-19-10, 11:25 am
Hell yeah Steve! I know you're going to do some damage up on that stage.

Thanks Phil. I sure hope so, after dieting for 19740983274982 years. LOL.

My man is on point like a razor.... yes sir stay focused brother.

Thanks B. Too close to drop the ball now.

Nice Steve. You're almost there brother. Just some fine tuning for these last two weeks.

Thanks J. Absolutely. Holding and squeezing.

You got this, bro!!! Nothing to do, but bring it on home!!!

Thanks MD. Aint that the truth.