PDA

View Full Version : The Gear Whore Thread...

IRBS
02-16-10, 3:05 pm
I get quite a few questions on Powerlifting Gear (Bench Shirts, Squat Suits, Briefs, etc) so I figured I would start a thread for Q&A purposes. We have a few guys around here who are experienced in Equipped Powerlifting who can help answer questions.

I have experience with Metal, Titan, and INZER. All make great products that have pluses and minuses.

Ask away,
IRBS

p.s. - If you are a Raw Zealot who think's we're a bunch of cheaters for wearing gear, go jump off a cliff.

ghost
02-16-10, 3:11 pm
how much does a DL suit help in the lift?

IRBS
02-16-10, 3:32 pm
how much does a DL suit help in the lift?

It is completely dependent upon the lifter, his/her technique, and how effectively he can use the suit. Typically, Conventional pullers get less out of their gear than Sumo pullers. I think anywhere from 50-100lbs is reasonable for most people. If you perfect your form, you could get a bit more.

Most big pullers have big raw deadlifts to go with their equipped deadlifts.

Hope that helps,
IRBS

Cstlfx
02-16-10, 3:33 pm
I'm a Raw lifter, but only because no one will spend all their time and energy cramming me into gear :-(

However, for being Raw Lifters, my friend and I have as much gear as is allowed. Sleeves, Wraps, and Belts galore!

So, I do have experience with a lot of APT wraps.

IRBS
02-16-10, 3:36 pm
I'm a Raw lifter, but only because no one will spend all their time and energy cramming me into gear :-(

However, for being Raw Lifters, my friend and I have as much gear as is allowed. Sleeves, Wraps, and Belts galore!

So, I do have experience with a lot of APT wraps.

LOL, good stuff man. Wraps can get you decent carryover if applied correctly. Not to mention the knee protection.

Firefist
02-16-10, 4:02 pm
im still workin on a 315 bench press, but do you think it would be worth it to train with a shirt to help my raw bench? or keep on training raw, until i need the shirt for 405? i bodybuild, but my bench is my only weak number and id like to be as strong as i look.

fenix237
02-16-10, 4:19 pm
hey IRBS- i've had a Scheik lifting belt and combo lifting straps/wristwraps for a looong time. i've recently ditched the straps (on deads) in an effort to develop my grip strength, but i still use the wristwraps (more of a wristband with a buckle & velcro closure) on my heaviest presses. i also have not used a belt in a long time until i'm getting into new PR territory, but i read that a belt is a good idea when getting heavy (400+).

i know Scheik does seem to get much respect in the world of gear- is it smart for me to upgrade to 'professional grade' gear? if you remember, i'm starting 5/3/1 and want to run it at least a year, so i'm hoping to get into big boy poundages, so having quality gear is a priority for performance and safety.

are those wristwraps garbage? is that belt worth it's salt? any advice is greatly appreciated- thnx bro! - MM

IRBS
02-16-10, 4:29 pm
im still workin on a 315 bench press, but do you think it would be worth it to train with a shirt to help my raw bench? or keep on training raw, until i need the shirt for 405? i bodybuild, but my bench is my only weak number and id like to be as strong as i look.

Honestly, if you are a bodybuilder and hypertrophy is your main goal, there really is no need to use a bench shirt. More time and thoughtful programming will get you there.

hey IRBS- i've had a Scheik lifting belt and combo lifting straps/wristwraps for a looong time. i've recently ditched the straps (on deads) in an effort to develop my grip strength, but i still use the wristwraps (more of a wristband with a buckle & velcro closure) on my heaviest presses. i also have not used a belt in a long time until i'm getting into new PR territory, but i read that a belt is a good idea when getting heavy (400+).

i know Scheik does seem to get much respect in the world of gear- is it smart for me to upgrade to 'professional grade' gear? if you remember, i'm starting 5/3/1 and want to run it at least a year, so i'm hoping to get into big boy poundages, so having quality gear is a priority for performance and safety.

are those wristwraps garbage? is that belt worth it's salt? any advice is greatly appreciated- thnx bro! - MM

I personally use an INZER Forever 13mm belt. I dont think it will ever wear out at the rate I am going now. I think I have had it for 7 years or something like that and it barely looks like I've used it. Defintely worth the investment to get a good, quality belt from a reputable manufacturer.

A good pair of wrist wraps can go a long way in protecting your wrists and adding stability. I use APT wraps and INZER wraps. Both are of good quality and fairly inexpensive. Elitefts.com has a good line of wraps as well (I think APT makes them, but I am not sure on that.)

You seem to be on the right track with your useage though. I still use straps on heaving rowing movements and things like shrugs. Definitely leave them in your gym bag for deadlifts though.

fenix237
02-16-10, 4:45 pm
IRBS wrote: "I personally use an INZER Forever 13mm belt. I dont think it will ever wear out at the rate I am going now. I think I have had it for 7 years or something like that and it barely looks like I've used it. Defintely worth the investment to get a good, quality belt from a reputable manufacturer." [/QUOTE]

awesome- thanks for the quick reply! i just looked at Inzer's web to look at some belts- they have the 13 in single/double buckles as well as a lever. what's to choose between these? AFAIK, the lever offers infinite increments of adjustability, whereas a buckle, you have to choose a 'hole'. is one or the other 'easier' to live with? pros/cons...

thanks again big guy!

mark
02-16-10, 4:52 pm
IRBS wrote: "I personally use an INZER Forever 13mm belt. I dont think it will ever wear out at the rate I am going now. I think I have had it for 7 years or something like that and it barely looks like I've used it. Defintely worth the investment to get a good, quality belt from a reputable manufacturer."
awesome- thanks for the quick reply! i just looked at Inzer's web to look at some belts- they have the 13 in single/double buckles as well as a lever. what's to choose between these? AFAIK, the lever offers infinite increments of adjustability, whereas a buckle, you have to choose a 'hole'. is one or the other 'easier' to live with? pros/cons...

thanks again big guy!

Single prong belt is the easiest to live with... Double prong is a waste of time and a f'ing headache to deal with when you're getting ready for a heavy set.
The belts with the metal levers are great if you don't have a lot of body weight changes, but when you need to adjust the position of the lever, it's a pain in the ass, esp if you go heavy raw and in gear. They are easy to secure and unlock for when you're done lifting.
The other lever belt where you feed the strap into it and crank are just a pain in the ass to deal with... not worth it.

If i had to get a new belt, i would go with a single prong belt.

mark
02-16-10, 4:54 pm
p.s. - If you are a Raw Zealot who think's we're a bunch of cheaters for wearing gear, go jump off a cliff.

What if i just think you're a whore??
Do i have to jump off the cliff still??

fenix237
02-16-10, 5:01 pm
If i had to get a new belt, i would go with a single prong belt.

thanks mark! i was already thinking i wanted a single buckle as it seems like a no brainer to use. plus i seem to fluctuate quite a bit in weight too haha!! when it comes to choosing a 10 or 13mm, what are the deciding factors? i'm guessing the 13 is stiffer and needs broken in, but offers more support??? is the 13 for big guys 250+, or it's how strong you are?

sorry for so many questions, just want to choose the right one as it's likely my last belt purchase!

mark
02-16-10, 5:07 pm
just get a 13mm

ldskenpo
02-16-10, 7:53 pm
I am going to my first meet at the end of this month as unequipped. Took me several attempts at reading different rulebooks to catch on to unequipped vs raw. I use inzer z wraps ( 2m for knees and 36 inches for wrists) and a single prong toro 13mm belt.

I dont have anybody to show me how to use shirts, suits, etc. how hard is it to learn how to put on and use the gear if training alone?

IRBS
02-16-10, 9:12 pm
I am going to my first meet at the end of this month as unequipped. Took me several attempts at reading different rulebooks to catch on to unequipped vs raw. I use inzer z wraps ( 2m for knees and 36 inches for wrists) and a single prong toro 13mm belt.

I dont have anybody to show me how to use shirts, suits, etc. how hard is it to learn how to put on and use the gear if training alone?

Awesome, definitely try to find some experienced guys to help you with gear. You should be able to find someone nearby. Definitely ask around at the meet. I traveled an hour and a half each way the first few times I used gear to get help.

Good luck, have fun at the meet!

ldskenpo
02-16-10, 10:40 pm
thanks for replying so quick, 2 more questions for tonight.

You said you had experience with inzer, metal and titan, which is better for a beginner? I pull conventional ( kinda narrow stance for a 6 footer, been told) thinking that once i do decide to go equipped I should stay with single ply for a while

Cstlfx
02-16-10, 10:58 pm
Squatting and deadlifting wasnt too hard to have some people help put the suit on (I usually could get all but one strap on), and learn how to use by reading articles and watching videos.

But putting on a bench shirt correctly and learning how to use it without someone was near impossible for me.

Oh, yea, this was also single ply. Champion suit and HD Blast shirt from Inzer. Probably the lightest out there.

However, now that I know of some people around me, I'd gladly travel the hour+ to learn how to properly use gear. Gotta pay in some way to get the good info you know what I mean!

ldskenpo
02-16-10, 11:10 pm
Cstlfx- you are right, I have been asking around ( even went to the civilian gyms in town), so far, the nearest people I could bug are several hours away.

mark
02-17-10, 4:13 am
thanks for replying so quick, 2 more questions for tonight.

You said you had experience with inzer, metal and titan, which is better for a beginner? I pull conventional ( kinda narrow stance for a 6 footer, been told) thinking that once i do decide to go equipped I should stay with single ply for a while

It's not necessarily what gear company is better for a beginner or not, but is the gear right for you...

Personally, i would lean toward a standard Metal squat suit or Viking squat suit for a first suit. They're easy to use, and you can get what you need to fit your needs.

For a bench shirt, I would say try one of the Metal King Bench shirts (there are several kinds) or a Rage X. Both are great shirts, user friendly and if going single ply, what i would use.

For deadlift, i personally feel you aren't loosing much if you pull conventional by pulling without the suit. For conventional, it makes no difference for me.

fenix237
02-17-10, 10:06 am
@ mark/IRBS or anybody else with experience;

do you think a 10mm is too thin? i've had others tell me 13 can be uncomfortable and too stiff, and that a 10 should be plenty. i'm buying this belt for squatting and deadlifting, so does that influence which size to get? i'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to figure out if a 10 or 13 is a better choice. i'm buying this belt over the weekend, so any advice is appreciated! thnx fellas!

mark
02-17-10, 10:11 am

do you think a 10mm is too thin? i've had others tell me 13 can be uncomfortable and too stiff, and that a 10 should be plenty. i'm buying this belt for squatting and deadlifting, so does that influence which size to get? i'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to figure out if a 10 or 13 is a better choice. i'm buying this belt over the weekend, so any advice is appreciated! thnx fellas!

I've used a 10mm belt once, and didn't care for it as much as the 13mm belt.
It's a freaking weight belt, it's not suppose to be comfortable, it's suppose to help you lift more weight. As long as it's not hurting your ribs, hips, or back, then its good to go in my book

IRBS
02-17-10, 10:18 am

I've used a 10mm belt once, and didn't care for it as much as the 13mm belt.
It's a freaking weight belt, it's not suppose to be comfortable, it's suppose to help you lift more weight. As long as it's not hurting your ribs, hips, or back, then its good to go in my book

Yeah, the 13mm is like wearing a tire, especially at first. Once it gets broken in it's just fine.

Bottom line, either will be fine though. I've never used anything other than the 13mm...

fenix237
02-17-10, 10:45 am

[QUOTE=IRBS;903569]Yeah, the 13mm is like wearing a tire, especially at first. Once it gets broken in it's just fine.

good deal! i'll just pick one and go with it. thanks for the replies

Cstlfx
02-17-10, 1:08 pm
A 13mm belt is like a new pair of good boots. You have to break it in at first, but once you do its golden.

naturalguy
02-17-10, 1:24 pm
How about shoes?

What are the best squat shoes for someone with wide feet?

IRBS
02-17-10, 1:27 pm
How about shoes?

What are the best squat shoes for someone with wide feet?

For Wide Stance Squatters: Anything with a hard, flat sole. I use Chuck Taylors.

For Narrow(er) Stance Squatters: An Olympic Squat Shoe would be preferable (Addidas makes some good squat shoes and the Metal squat shoes are supposedly awesome if you can find a pair). BUT, Chuck Taylors, or any other flat hard bottomed shoe will work here as well.

Any kind of cushioned sole is terrible for squatting or deadlifting.

naturalguy
02-17-10, 1:29 pm
For Wide Stance Squatters: Anything with a hard, flat sole. I use Chuck Taylors.

For Narrow(er) Stance Squatters: An Olympic Squat Shoe would be preferable (Addidas makes some good squat shoes and the Metal squat shoes are supposedly awesome if you can find a pair). BUT, Chuck Taylors, or any other flat hard bottomed shoe will work here as well.

Any kind of cushioned sole is terrible for squatting or deadlifting.

I meant for someone with wide feet, not wide stance, sorry.

With regular shoes/sneakers I have buy wide width.

ghost
02-17-10, 1:35 pm

i love my chuck T's/

IRBS
02-17-10, 1:36 pm

hmmm, thats a good one. I dont really know a specific shoe, but I would say something with a hard, flat bottom, but is comfortable for you to wear.

Possibly work boots would be good here. I know many of them come in wider sizes.

ldskenpo
02-17-10, 1:41 pm
i just use wrestling shoes, I have wider feet also.

IRBS
02-17-10, 1:45 pm
i just use wrestling shoes, I have wider feet also.

This is another good option.

Young&Hungry
02-17-10, 5:51 pm

If you squat close(r) stance and want a good squatting shoe, yet have wide feet, do NOT buy Adidas olympic weightlifting shoes. I have them and they work for me because I have narrow feet, but I couldn't imagine them working for even a moderate width foot. I've heard really good things about Do-Wins (especially the Rogues that come in a good looking black color) for guys who have wide feet. I will say that after squatting in an olympic weightlifting shoe, I will never squat in anything else again.

BigChrisF
02-18-10, 7:04 am
Yay! I read the title and my first thought was, "They made a thread just for me!" I've been through the gear classifieds a time or two and have picked up a lot of gear to try along the way.

Initial remarks- For the money, I like titan for single ply shirts and squat suits best. The F6 and Fury are good beginner shirts and are a bit easier to touch than the Katana. If you can deal with a hard touch, the super Katana is great. I used the same katana for about 1.5-2 years. Inzer really doesn't have good single ply shirts. The phenom really can't be made tight enough without a superneck (frequently illegal in single ply feds) to work well and rage-x's have a narrow groove and can be tempermental and blow out. Double ply it's bullet-proof. Super-Duper Phenom is great for carry-over and ease of touching, but doesn't last long compared to a lot of shirts and is EXPENSIVE.

For squat suits, single-ply I recommend the centurion if you like stop at the bottom, and the hardcore if you want more elastic rebound. Double ply poly I like the Metal Ace and for canvas I like Inzer leviathan with Ace briefs.

For getting into gear for the first time, I would start with single ply and buy it used. That way you won't have a lot invested if you decide it's not for you. Not everybody can or wants to take the pressure and pain of using gear.

Belts- 13mm is stiffer and more rigid than a 10mm. The 10mm is for those that don't want to deal with the discomfort of a stiff belt. Comfort and heavy fucking weight will never cross paths. Choose your direction. I have a 13mm double prong belt from Cardillo that I have used for about 8 years. It has slightly rounded edges compared to others and I have never had trouble with it digging into my hips. Double prongs aren't hard. If you can't figure them out, go back to the zoo and stop screwing around. Single prongs have a tendency to torque from side to side and may pinch you if you are lifting in the fatboys club. I also have a lever belt from Crain. I have seen all the lever belts and I think they are all made in the same factory in china and have different labels put on them. Harder to adjust if you change size a lot, but there is a certain convenience to them.

Shoes- I like my Chuck Taylors. I'm not sure how wide you are talking, but I have a 14EE and they work fine.

IRBS
02-18-10, 9:51 am
Yay! I read the title and my first thought was, "They made a thread just for me!" I've been through the gear classifieds a time or two and have picked up a lot of gear to try along the way.

Initial remarks- For the money, I like titan for single ply shirts and squat suits best. The F6 and Fury are good beginner shirts and are a bit easier to touch than the Katana. If you can deal with a hard touch, the super Katana is great. I used the same katana for about 1.5-2 years. Inzer really doesn't have good single ply shirts. The phenom really can't be made tight enough without a superneck (frequently illegal in single ply feds) to work well and rage-x's have a narrow groove and can be tempermental and blow out. Double ply it's bullet-proof. Super-Duper Phenom is great for carry-over and ease of touching, but doesn't last long compared to a lot of shirts and is EXPENSIVE.

For squat suits, single-ply I recommend the centurion if you like stop at the bottom, and the hardcore if you want more elastic rebound. Double ply poly I like the Metal Ace and for canvas I like Inzer leviathan with Ace briefs.

For getting into gear for the first time, I would start with single ply and buy it used. That way you won't have a lot invested if you decide it's not for you. Not everybody can or wants to take the pressure and pain of using gear.

Belts- 13mm is stiffer and more rigid than a 10mm. The 10mm is for those that don't want to deal with the discomfort of a stiff belt. Comfort and heavy fucking weight will never cross paths. Choose your direction. I have a 13mm double prong belt from Cardillo that I have used for about 8 years. It has slightly rounded edges compared to others and I have never had trouble with it digging into my hips. Double prongs aren't hard. If you can't figure them out, go back to the zoo and stop screwing around. Single prongs have a tendency to torque from side to side and may pinch you if you are lifting in the fatboys club. I also have a lever belt from Crain. I have seen all the lever belts and I think they are all made in the same factory in china and have different labels put on them. Harder to adjust if you change size a lot, but there is a certain convenience to them.

Shoes- I like my Chuck Taylors. I'm not sure how wide you are talking, but I have a 14EE and they work fine.

Great info Chris, I was hoping you would swing through here.

fenix237
02-22-10, 4:46 pm
hey fellas- i'm also in need of a pair of wristwraps. i had a look around and was wondering what's to choose between a 12", 20", 24", and a 36" lengths? i hardly ever use WW's (never have wrist pain), but the more and more i read that wraps will prevent injuries.

also, any tips on choosing lifting straps?

can anyone recommend a good website to purchase my Inzer belt, wraps and straps that can save me some money over factory direct? i need to watch my $$$ these days. thnx! MM

BigDubbDiesel
02-22-10, 5:00 pm
was lookin at the inzer 10mm lever or the titan toro 10mm lever, about the same price, but i heard inzer had horrible customer service so i went with the titan. It should arrive middle of this week, so i'll take some pics and let you know how i like it...the lever seemed a lot more convenient after a heavy set...ive had panic attacks before trying to get a double prong belt off after...not fun

eat big and train hard. -Dubb

IRBS
02-22-10, 5:32 pm
hey fellas- i'm also in need of a pair of wristwraps. i had a look around and was wondering what's to choose between a 12", 20", 24", and a 36" lengths? i hardly ever use WW's (never have wrist pain), but the more and more i read that wraps will prevent injuries.

also, any tips on choosing lifting straps?

can anyone recommend a good website to purchase my Inzer belt, wraps and straps that can save me some money over factory direct? i need to watch my $$$ these days. thnx! MM

For wrist wraps, I use 12in for everyday lifting stuff (non competative) and for competition I use 36in. Check with your Federation if you plan to use wrist wraps in competition though, because some feds do not allow all lengths.

I use APT straps (on the rare occasions that I use them), they have lasted 4 years and dont even look worn...

I ordered my belt from INZER directly. Be careful, some of their belt colors have longer lead times...I dont really know of anywhere to save too much with the INZER stuff. House of Pain sells INZER gear though. If you are buying a shirt or suit I would give them a call.

Hope that helps,
IRBS

fenix237
02-22-10, 5:51 pm
For wrist wraps, I use 12in for everyday lifting stuff (non competative) and for competition I use 36in. Check with your Federation if you plan to use wrist wraps in competition though, because some feds do not allow all lengths.

I use APT straps (on the rare occasions that I use them), they have lasted 4 years and dont even look worn...

I ordered my belt from INZER directly. Be careful, some of their belt colors have longer lead times...I dont really know of anywhere to save too much with the INZER stuff. House of Pain sells INZER gear though. If you are buying a shirt or suit I would give them a call.

Hope that helps,
IRBS

awesome IRBS! thanks a lot. i'm long overdue to get some quality gear.

one last question- instead of buying a dip belt, could i just buy a chain/carabiner and use my lifting belt? seems to be an easy/cheap solution

BigChrisF
02-23-10, 12:26 am
You don't even need to use the belt. Just carabiner/bolt the chain around your waist and hang the weight from that.

Wrist wraps- what length and kind of wrap you get depends on what you want from them. For most everything I have a pair of 36 in. Titan Thp's that I have used for the last 3 years. I don't put them on until the weight starts to get heavy. I also have a pair of 24 in. APT Blue line wraps that I use for deadlift at competitions only.

I've used a lot of wraps and could recommend some if you knew what you wanted in wraps. For benching I recommend the 36 in wraps because you don't have to wrap them tight if you don't want a lot of support.

theharjmann
02-23-10, 7:29 am
one last question- instead of buying a dip belt, could i just buy a chain/carabiner and use my lifting belt? seems to be an easy/cheap solution

You don't even need to use the belt. Just carabiner/bolt the chain around your waist and hang the weight from that.

Yeah dont use the lifting belt. I used to do that and i ended up fucking up my belt when piling the plates on.

theharjmann
02-23-10, 7:32 am

hey guys,

i wouldnt say im a powerlifter. far from it. i like to "bodybuild" but i equally as much like to lift big weights for reps RAW! so id probably class myself as a raw zealot.

but ive been reading through this thread and its VERY informative.

keep up the good work!

peace

fenix237
02-23-10, 11:47 am

I've used a lot of wraps and could recommend some if you knew what you wanted in wraps. For benching I recommend the 36 in wraps because you don't have to wrap them tight if you don't want a lot of support.

thnx Big Chris! i will have an extra (cheap) belt that can be used if necessary- either way, this sounds like a plan.

for wristwraps, i'm looking for an everyday pair that will last and feel sturdy. i've been using a pair of Scheik lifting strap/wristwrap combo, but i cut off the lifting straps- so essentially they're a pair of padded wristbands. you can get them tight as hell, but i'm guessing they are crap in comparison to APT/Inzer etc... they do not cover the wrist/hand junction. i've never suffered from wrist pain, but some pros are recommending them to prevent injuries and chronic pain. i do load the bar up pretty good, so i'm gonna start using them

any recommendations is appreciated- i'm buying an Inzer belt, so wraps from Inzer or ATP would be convenient. i really appreciate your (and everyone else's) advice! - MM

btw- Harjmann is correct; this thread has been great!

BigChrisF
02-24-10, 1:42 am
From Inzer, I really like the True Black wraps, but they are generally overpriced and I got mine on an introductory sale for about 50% and liked them.

From APT, I would recommend 24" Blue Power or Blue Mamba wraps. They're not really stiff and the length will provide the capability of giving a lot of support if you wrap them tight.

ldskenpo
03-01-10, 2:04 pm
this weekend i went to my first meet, while in the warmup area , i watched the equipped guys getting ready.from the guy on the left using 3 guys to squeeze int o his shirt, to the young lady that used 2 guys my size to pull her squat suit on while another would hold her down by the shoulders, it looke dlike these guys burnt themselves out just getting dressed. my wife commented on all the stuff, questioning whether it was cheating ( i told her its not) i understand why they use it- the biggest argument i think is safety for the hips,shoulders,etc.

IRBS
03-01-10, 2:35 pm
this weekend i went to my first meet, while in the warmup area , i watched the equipped guys getting ready.from the guy on the left using 3 guys to squeeze int o his shirt, to the young lady that used 2 guys my size to pull her squat suit on while another would hold her down by the shoulders, it looke dlike these guys burnt themselves out just getting dressed. my wife commented on all the stuff, questioning whether it was cheating ( i told her its not) i understand why they use it- the biggest argument i think is safety for the hips,shoulders,etc.

Its not that bad...LOL

I enjoy the technical aspect of equipped lifting.

ldskenpo
03-02-10, 10:00 pm
Its not that bad...LOL

I enjoy the technical aspect of equipped lifting.

i dont take anything away from those guys, just an observation. I think that if the gear is available and legal, why not use it- if used properly ( might be wrong, but to me it seemed like 1 or 2 of them relied TOO much on the gear, and didnt develop themselves ( shoulders, back, hamstrings,etc ).
but, shirt or not, if you bench 700- you just benched 700 pounds
for me, its a price thing, and not really having someone to learn off of in the gym, price mostly.

IRBS
03-03-10, 8:30 am
i dont take anything away from those guys, just an observation. I think that if the gear is available and legal, why not use it- if used properly ( might be wrong, but to me it seemed like 1 or 2 of them relied TOO much on the gear, and didnt develop themselves ( shoulders, back, hamstrings,etc ).
but, shirt or not, if you bench 700- you just benched 700 pounds
for me, its a price thing, and not really having someone to learn off of in the gym, price mostly.

I am of the opinion that you should have experience under your belt and have hit some strength milestones before you put gear on. I am a huge gear whore, but I hate going to meets and seeing a guy who has no musculature and who can barely bench 225 put a jacked out shirt on and hit a much bigger number.

There is also a huge misconception among the average gym goers and non-competitive lifters who think that you can put a bench shirt, squat suit, knee wraps (whatever) on and all of a sudden master it and hit huge numbers. That is not the case for most people. The first time I put a bench shirt on I couldnt even bench my raw max.

Equipped lifting is technical, and requires a skill set other than just lifting weights, thats why I enjoy it.

IRBS
03-05-10, 4:06 pm
I thought I would throw up a few reviews of gear that I personally have experience working in. I have experience helping others with different stuff as well, but these are all pieces of equipment I have used personally:

Metal Viking V-Type Single Ply Squatter:
This was my first squat suit and I thought it was pretty good. Just enough support, but nothing crazy. Easy to hit depth (depending on how tight you wear it) with good pop out of the hole and good support. I also used this as my deadlift suit when pulling Conventional which, surprisingly, worked pretty well. It was also a good suit to pull Sumo in when learning to pull Sumo in gear. I'm sure there are better single ply suits out there (Titan Centurion is what I would recommend based on the material and what I've seen with my training partners) but this was a good first suit. I bought mine used, so my investment was pretty low. Overall Grade: B to B+

Metal Pro Squatter:
Again, purchased used. When I got this suit it had Velcro Straps added to it by Ginny Phillips, which was an added bonus. This was, and still is, a great squat suit. Great support and great pop out of the hole. Depending on the brief combo you use with it, you can use your briefs for stopping power and the suit will provide some rebound. It wasnt terribly difficult to hit depth in this suit, provided I sat back into it properly. If you got it too tight in the hips, I could see depth as an issue. I also used this suit to pull Sumo in and it works fantastic for that. Since I bought this one used as well, investment was still fairly low (lower than new). Overall Grade: A

Metal Ace Pro Briefs:
These were my first pair of briefs, and it was too much brief for when I bought them. I didnt know how to seat them properly, so they were tough to work with and I didnt use them much. After I gained more experience I pulled them back out and got them seated much better and they became my go to training brief. They are a little loose, so not competition tight, but they are very good. Lots of support. A warning: novice lifters should avoid this brief...its just too much. The seam accross the top of the leg will kill your form if you dont have them seated properly and if you dont know how to spread your knees and sit back. Great brief though overall, but not for the novice. Overall Grade: B+

Titan Boss Suit:
To be fair, the Boss Suit I had for a while was about 1 size too big and I didnt train in the suit very long and ended up selling it. I was wearing Boss Briefs while using this suit. The Boss-Boss combo was just not right for me. I know others who have had good sucess with this combo, but I wasnt one of them for the short time I worked in the gear. I just couldnt get comfortable in it. I do like the material, but again, if you are a novice, I would avoid this suit...it will be too much for you and ultimately a waiste of money. Overall Grade: Not enough info...

Titan Boss Briefs:
Currently, this is my brief. I wear the previous generation Boss Brief and absolutely love it. Great stopping power and support. Again, not for the novice lifter. I REALLY like these briefs with the Metal Pro Squatter because the Metal Gear tends to be a bit thicker. The Boss Briefs are thinner material and pair well, IMO, with the Metal Multi-Ply Suits. Overall Grade: A+

Titan F6 Single Ply Bench Shirt:
My first bench shirt. I got this for free, used, from another Powerlifter. This shirt was at least 1 size big, but that was good as it was my first shirt. I was in this shirt for a long time and hit my first 500lbs bench in the gym with it. For me, it was a lot of work to touch but I didnt get the carryover all the way through the press. This is probably due to my long stroke (I am 6'3), but that was what I didnt like most about the shirt. It was a good starter shirt for me, but not my favorite out there. Overall Grade: C+

INZER Single Ply RageX:
Overall, the material was great, but I did not take many reps in the shirt, and quickly outgrew it. I got this shirt early in my powerlifting career and sold it quickly after I outgrew it. Overall Grade: Not enough info

Titan Katana Single Ply Bench Shirt:
The latest shirt I've been using, and I currently have a new Super Katana on the way. Great shirt. I really like the material and the carryover I get from the chest through lockout. If you are over 5'10, get the extra material added to the bottom of the shirt, or it may slip up over your belly even under your belt. A reinforced collar also enhances the shirt along with a scoop neck. I prefer to leave this shirt closed back so that it stays in place a little better once you get it set. I have used it open back and closed back, and prefer closed. First competition 500lbs bench was done in this shirt. Touching is difficult in a competition fit Katana. There are many people who give up on the shirt because of touching difficulties. My advice in this case is to touch, even if you cant press it up. For me, this was the key. As soon as I touched, and knew I could touch, all of a sudden touching got easier and I knew the groove much better. Very solid shirt. Overall Grade: B+ to A-

Metal Pro Deadlifter:
Like most of the Metal Squat and Deadlift Gear, this was/is a great suit. I had one a few years ago and have a new one on the way now. Great pop off the floor. Warning: your nuts will get crushed, but its worth it. Great Deadlift suit. For conventional pulling its the best out there. Typically, you dont get much carryover out of conventional deadlift gear, but this is a good suit. Overall Grade: A

Wraps, Straps, Elbow Sleeves, Belts:
I have used APT, INZER, and TITAN wraps and they are all good. I wear INZER 2 meter wraps for training in the gym and APT 2.5 meter strangulators for competition. For Wrist Wraps I use 12in INZER and 36in APT Convict wraps. I use INZER Elbow Sleeves and have an INZER 13mm forever Double Prong Belt. All fantastic, all get an 'A' rating.

I currently have a Titan Super Katana Bench Shirt on the way as well as a Metal Ace Pro Squatter that I will review after I spend some time in them. I will hopefully move into multi ply bench gear over the next year or so, so I will then have some multiply bench shirt reviews. But that wont be for a little while.

Hope this was beneficial,
IRBS

OklahomaMuscle
03-05-10, 4:18 pm
Great write up IRBS, definitely will help when I look into gear in the future. Thanks

ldskenpo
03-06-10, 12:24 am
I am currently doing 5/3/1, I know wendler says dont use knee wraps in the gym, but I use inzer z 2m knee wraps whenever i go over 350 on squats- if i hurt my knees i am screwed professionally.

i dont normally use wrist wraps, but i got a set of inzer 36 in that i used last week at the meet, didnt use them on opener, but when i DID use them i dropped the bar from lockout to my chest.

ok, got that out of the way, so here are the questions-
1- at what point should one use wrist wraps?
2- in your reviews for squat suits, you mentioned spreading the knees- I squat with a relatively narrow stance- tracking my knees over my feet. I know that with gear i would have to relearn the grooves, but how much of a variance is too much? or does differences in style dtermine which suit to use?
3- i deadlift conventional, even though like you i am taller than most ( i am 6'1''), should i switch to sumo to use a suit?
4- for the time being i plan on staying on the unequipped side of the platform, reasons we have talked about before, but how hard/complicated is it to learn to use single ply gear?
5- last one, i told my wife i wouldnt start buying gear til i total elite unequipped, if i was to use just one manufacturer which one gets your vote?

Hercules
03-06-10, 9:13 am

I use wrist wraps most of the time when doing any kind of pressing movement because I have two sprained wrists. They're healing but still hurt without the wraps. I still do well over 400lbs on boards even with bad wrists. I'm too damn stubborn to just rest and let them heal. Those wraps certainly help, though. I am the head weightlifting coach at a high school in FL and I encourage my guys to use wrist wraps during the meets. Out of everything in my gym bag, my chalk and wrist wraps get the most use. (BTW, I use 20" APT Convicts.)

IRBS
03-06-10, 9:38 am
I am currently doing 5/3/1, I know wendler says dont use knee wraps in the gym, but I use inzer z 2m knee wraps whenever i go over 350 on squats- if i hurt my knees i am screwed professionally.

i dont normally use wrist wraps, but i got a set of inzer 36 in that i used last week at the meet, didnt use them on opener, but when i DID use them i dropped the bar from lockout to my chest.

ok, got that out of the way, so here are the questions-
2- in your reviews for squat suits, you mentioned spreading the knees- I squat with a relatively narrow stance- tracking my knees over my feet. I know that with gear i would have to relearn the grooves, but how much of a variance is too much? or does differences in style dtermine which suit to use?
3- i deadlift conventional, even though like you i am taller than most ( i am 6'1''), should i switch to sumo to use a suit?
4- for the time being i plan on staying on the unequipped side of the platform, reasons we have talked about before, but how hard/complicated is it to learn to use single ply gear?
5- last one, i told my wife i wouldnt start buying gear til i total elite unequipped, if i was to use just one manufacturer which one gets your vote?

1. Whenever you want
2. They make squat suits for narrow stance and wide stance in many cases. When squatting with gear you want to open your crotch, spread your knees and sit into the suit. You don't have to squat super wide to do this.
3. I train both sumo and conventional. My meet PR is a conventional pull. Do whatever feels most comfortable
4. Single ply squat and deadlift are fairly easy to learn on your own. For bench I would try to find some experienced powerlifters to help you at first.
5. No one gear provider I beat, but for single ply if you wanted to stay with one manufacturer I would go with Titan

thi is all just my opinion,
IRBS

mark
03-06-10, 12:11 pm

2. They make squat suits for narrow stance and wide stance in many cases. When squatting with gear you want to open your crotch, spread your knees and sit into the suit. You don't have to squat super wide to do this.
3. I train both sumo and conventional. My meet PR is a conventional pull. Do whatever feels most comfortable
4. Single ply squat and deadlift are fairly easy to learn on your own. For bench I would try to find some experienced powerlifters to help you at first.
5. No one gear provider I beat, but for single ply if you wanted to stay with one manufacturer I would go with Titan

thi is all just my opinion,
IRBS

Since apparently i had some level of gear whoreness in my past life, and have a wee bit of experience and knowledge of how to get a few pounds out of it... I will go ahead and chime in...

2- Well, even when squatting raw, though your feet will be closer together, you still want to spread your knees apart in order to fully engange the hips as much as possible. This can also help keep you upright more... Just don't over do it. Only difference is with a closer stance, you're not going to sit back as much, regardless of whether or you're wearing a suit or not.

3- Pull however you're strongest... Few people get that much out of a deadlift suit, even sumo, to justify switching styles... And those that do get a lot of their gear on deads, are usually built for it. Just pull in the strongest, most comfortable position possible.

4- How hard it is depends on how tight your gear is, and how good you are at keeping your form... Get something that's tight, but not necessarily as tight as someone who has lots of experience would get... It's easier to learn in something that's 1 size too big and grow into it then get something that's insanely tight and requires a lot of technique to get to touch.

5- For single ply, for just one company, I'd go with either Metal's King Line or Inzer... Not enough experience in Titan's newest fabric (NXG+ Super or whatever they call it) to be able to recommend them.

ldskenpo
03-09-10, 10:25 pm
I swear to you, the stories i post are true, i cant make this crap up.

today, i wore a tshirt i got from the company i got my singlet from, on the back they advertise that they sell bench shirts and squat suits, etc.
this guy starts talking loud enough for me to hear about how bench shirts, etc are cheating and that the lifts wearing that stuff are not valid. i ask him " do you compete?" his reply, " no i dont want to compete against people who use gear to cheat their lifts up"

i explain that most feds have unequipped or raw divisions, and he comes back with, " well, ALL those guys are cheating, too". HE gets red faced and stomps off when I challenge him to a lift off right then and there with his butt-buddies judging.

I invite anybody who wants to to come down, i will get you on post and see the ridiculousness that goes on here.

J Wong
03-09-10, 10:36 pm
I swear to you, the stories i post are true, i cant make this crap up.

today, i wore a tshirt i got from the company i got my singlet from, on the back they advertise that they sell bench shirts and squat suits, etc.
this guy starts talking loud enough for me to hear about how bench shirts, etc are cheating and that the lifts wearing that stuff are not valid. i ask him " do you compete?" his reply, " no i dont want to compete against people who use gear to cheat their lifts up"

i explain that most feds have unequipped or raw divisions, and he comes back with, " well, ALL those guys are cheating, too". HE gets red faced and stomps off when I challenge him to a lift off right then and there with his butt-buddies judging.

I invite anybody who wants to to come down, i will get you on post and see the ridiculousness that goes on here.

LOL, ok. You should have told him to try and bench 100 lbs more then his max with a bench shirt on.

Er, it annoys me how people don't understand the big 3 are technical lifts, and WAY moreso when equipped.

maddawg
03-10-10, 10:15 pm
I was thinking about ordering a bench shirt. Any suggestions of which one to go with single ply double ply open back etc.... I dont know a whole lot about them so any help would be nice

Legacy
03-10-10, 10:27 pm
I was thinking about ordering a bench shirt. Any suggestions of which one to go with single ply double ply open back etc.... I dont know a whole lot about them so any help would be nice

Well if your getting a bench shirt, I am guessing you are going to compete? If so, you need to figure out which federation you are going to be competing in because each one only allows certain shirts. These are a few that have restrictions - USAPL allows single ply poly only. WNPF allows single or double ply, poly or denim, open or closed back, but no canvas. WABDL allows single or double ply, poly or denim, but the neck must be closed. IPF requires individual brands to pay a fee for approval of shirts.

To be honest, the best way to determine what type of shirt you need is based on figuring out how you bench. If you got guys at your gym that use shirts, try on their shirts and look at their bench and see if you are similar to them. What I mean by that is look at the way you bench and see if your elbows flare out and the bar comes to your chest; or see if you take more of a powerlifting approach and keep the elbows tight and pull the bar down near your stomach.

Hope this helps bro

K Stro24
03-15-10, 2:58 am
I got into powerlifting seriously after about 6 cycles of 5/3/1 and I had a few quick questions about wraps, sleeves,and wirst straps. also, i have an INZER forever 2 prong, cant remember if its 10mm or 13mm but going from not ever using a belt, to using one on my heavier lifts, I must say it is really good and I like it alot. anyways to my questions:

1. I have the animal wrist straps, are these any different than the wrist wraps sold by the other companies such as: APT, EFS, METAL etc. etc.? (Assuming that they are) Can someone recommend some for me to use during my training? Not for competition yet anyways.

2. Ive always had knee problems, played catcher in baseball for about 10 years so they hurt alot, would knee sleeves give me adequate support while squatting? I heard good things about Tommy Kono's but was open to suggestions as well. Also, would elbow sleeves be a good idea?

3. Also, when should one think about incorporating knee wraps into the equation when squatting? And how much do they really help?

Thanks in advance.

mark
03-15-10, 3:12 am
I got into powerlifting seriously after about 6 cycles of 5/3/1 and I had a few quick questions about wraps, sleeves,and wirst straps. also, i have an INZER forever 2 prong, cant remember if its 10mm or 13mm but going from not ever using a belt, to using one on my heavier lifts, I must say it is really good and I like it alot. anyways to my questions:

1. I have the animal wrist straps, are these any different than the wrist wraps sold by the other companies such as: APT, EFS, METAL etc. etc.? (Assuming that they are) Can someone recommend some for me to use during my training? Not for competition yet anyways.

2. Ive always had knee problems, played catcher in baseball for about 10 years so they hurt alot, would knee sleeves give me adequate support while squatting? I heard good things about Tommy Kono's but was open to suggestions as well. Also, would elbow sleeves be a good idea?

3. Also, when should one think about incorporating knee wraps into the equation when squatting? And how much do they really help?

Thanks in advance.

1) They are all pretty much the same with regards to your concerns. If you were doing some more strongman like stuff, i would suggest maybe looking into some APT wrist wraps... However, remember, you can't use straps in a powerlifting meet...

2) Look into incorporating TKEs into your workouts, and other odds and ends to help the knee heal up... Otherwise, yes, Tommy Kono's would be beneficial. Elbow sleeves are pointless in my opinion as elbow injuries can easily be avoided.

3) How much knee wraps help depends on your pain tolerance. If you can handle a lot of pain, and deal with them being cranked on as tight as hell, then they will do you wonders...
No real need to use them unless you're prepping for a pl'ing meet...

ldskenpo
03-15-10, 10:38 pm
I have been told that a shirt changes the way you have to do the bench vs no shirt, for example- shirts tend to push the bar further away from your head, so alot of guys try to push more off their toes to get the bar back where it " belongs".

my question is- how much of the advice found in powerlifting circles should be heeded/ ignored for unequipped guys? in the fed i compete in, lifting the head is allowed, and i have been told to "watch the bar down", why? and is this for those with shirts, or anybody?

mark
03-16-10, 4:31 am
I have been told that a shirt changes the way you have to do the bench vs no shirt, for example- shirts tend to push the bar further away from your head, so alot of guys try to push more off their toes to get the bar back where it " belongs".

my question is- how much of the advice found in powerlifting circles should be heeded/ ignored for unequipped guys? in the fed i compete in, lifting the head is allowed, and i have been told to "watch the bar down", why? and is this for those with shirts, or anybody?

Yes, watch the bar down but that should be doable without lifting your head... Leave your head on the bench, all you do when you lift your head is increase your range of motion.
Some people do it when wearing a shirt because their shirts are so tight its hard as hell to fight that motion or they can't touch without picking their head up so the shirt relaxes some.

IRBS
03-16-10, 8:41 am

Yes, watch the bar down but that should be doable without lifting your head... Leave your head on the bench, all you do when you lift your head is increase your range of motion.
Some people do it when wearing a shirt because their shirts are so tight its hard as hell to fight that motion or they can't touch without picking their head up so the shirt relaxes some.

I alsways pick my head up...just prefer it. Either way is fine. Also, some feds require your head to stay flat on the bench, so if you plan on competing in those feds, practice it.

Hartschuh
03-17-10, 5:44 pm
I alsways pick my head up...just prefer it. Either way is fine. Also, some feds require your head to stay flat on the bench, so if you plan on competing in those feds, practice it.I can't lift mine, if I do, my arch goes to shit. And my arch is small enough already.

D-Bone
03-19-10, 4:47 am
Well if your getting a bench shirt, I am guessing you are going to compete? If so, you need to figure out which federation you are going to be competing in because each one only allows certain shirts. These are a few that have restrictions - USAPL allows single ply poly only. WNPF allows single or double ply, poly or denim, open or closed back, but no canvas. WABDL allows single or double ply, poly or denim, but the neck must be closed. IPF requires individual brands to pay a fee for approval of shirts.

To be honest, the best way to determine what type of shirt you need is based on figuring out how you bench. If you got guys at your gym that use shirts, try on their shirts and look at their bench and see if you are similar to them. What I mean by that is look at the way you bench and see if your elbows flare out and the bar comes to your chest; or see if you take more of a powerlifting approach and keep the elbows tight and pull the bar down near your stomach.

Hope this helps bro

I couldn't agree more. You have to figure out what organization your wanting to lift in before you can decide on what shirt to get. It doesn't make much sense to go and spend $100 to $200 on a bench shirt you can't use if your organization doesn't allow it.

U Mad Brah?
03-19-10, 9:22 am
some interesting stuff here brahs... didn't realize the equip that goes into lifting weights brahs

fenix237
03-23-10, 12:15 pm
do you guys think these are beneficial even if i do not suffer from any knee or elbow pain? i know they just keep the area warm and are not a support item. i used to not think wrist wraps were necessary for me (no wrist pain), but they have been recommended to me for preventative measures- i use them now on heavier sets of bench and military press (considering adding them in on heavy DL's)

thnx broski's!!

Hartschuh
03-26-10, 10:05 am
do you guys think these are beneficial even if i do not suffer from any knee or elbow pain? i know they just keep the area warm and are not a support item. i used to not think wrist wraps were necessary for me (no wrist pain), but they have been recommended to me for preventative measures- i use them now on heavier sets of bench and military press (considering adding them in on heavy DL's)

thnx broski's!!
They couldn't hurt, I like to use a Rehband sleeve to help keep my bad elbow warm, but I usually take the sleeve off once it is warm.

ldskenpo
03-26-10, 1:12 pm
I alsways pick my head up...just prefer it. Either way is fine. Also, some feds require your head to stay flat on the bench, so if you plan on competing in those feds, practice it.

just asking, i keep my head down, kinda push my head into the bench ( feels like i stabilize better- tripod with shoulders and head, i guess)

Shawn Rainey
04-01-10, 2:20 am
Hey all, thought id stop in here because I have a lot of exsperance with gear. and Have spent a lot of time in bench shirts. Right now im carrying around 5 shirts, 3 super katana's of different sizes and fits and 2 apex shirts. Right now I get about 200 to 250 lbs out of my shirts and have a new shirt on the way that I think if its the way I think it will fit I will get over 300 lbs of carry over in it. So please if you have any gear questions and defiantly bench shirt questions please ask I will do my best to help you!

Mikey132
04-12-10, 6:26 pm
[QUOTE=ghost;903086]how much does a DL suit help in the lift?[/QUOIT

It doesnt help at all of grip is your issue, like me. Boo Deadlifts!

Shawn Rainey
04-20-10, 7:44 pm
[QUOTE=ghost;903086]how much does a DL suit help in the lift?[/QUOIT

It doesnt help at all of grip is your issue, like me. Boo Deadlifts!

yeah grip training is vital in power lifting.. Try using a wrist roller, and try not to use straps when you train..

IRBS
04-26-10, 2:32 pm
SOme stuff that doesnt fit me, might fit you. Pretty good deals on a lot of this stuff:

METAL Ace Pro Squatter, Size 52. Practically brand new. I never got it seated. Tried it only a few times. Has some chalk on the straps, other than that its pretty much new. $225 shipped.

METAL Pro Deadlifter (Conv), pretty much brand new. Only had it on once and pulled 3 sets in it. $100 Shipped.

Titan Super Katana, Size 48 Sleeves, 50 Chest Plate, extra material at the bottom to make it longer. Brand New, never tried on. $125 Shipped

Titan Katana, Size 50. Used for 2 meets and training cycles for those meets. $75 Shipped.

Titan F6, Size 50. Used. $40 Shipped.

PM me with questions or offers.

J A Y
04-26-10, 3:49 pm
just asking, i keep my head down, kinda push my head into the bench ( feels like i stabilize better- tripod with shoulders and head, i guess)

be very careful with this(the head on bench/head off)... couldnt quote IRBS's comment too but also very true...

i failed two benches in my latest meet because of the raising of the head,(first lift didnt realise, second couldnt change the habbit) i myself also prefer it(raising of the head) but it is sadly a rule i cannot change so look it up!

i learned the hard way! would not like anybody else to experience it too!

joel.recla
06-01-10, 1:15 am
I'm not really a powerlifter, i'm just a normal lifter but I was hopin u guys good help. When I dead lift and do shrugs, my hands get real sore. I think it's from old injuries. My question is would wrist straps, or gloves help this? I've never used nay type of gear before.

Shawn Rainey
06-01-10, 2:50 am
I'm not really a powerlifter, i'm just a normal lifter but I was hopin u guys good help. When I dead lift and do shrugs, my hands get real sore. I think it's from old injuries. My question is would wrist straps, or gloves help this? I've never used nay type of gear before.

straps arn't really powerlifting gear per say but.... I use straps on a few things like heavy kroc rows and sometimes shrugs I try to stay away from them but if It means I can get a few more sets and reps with a bit more weight I say go for it.. stay away from gloves thou.. there pretty pointless..

shoot my hands are tore up after ever bench or dead day... I think my hands are worse from bench personally...

BigChrisF
06-01-10, 2:55 am
if you aren't having any grip issues, I wouldn't worry about it. Heavy lifting isn't gentle on the hands, but you should get used to the pressure on your hands as you work with it more. If you are having trouble holding on then get some straps, but don't use them as a crutch. Go as heavy as you can before you get them out.

joel.recla
06-01-10, 3:22 am
alirught sounds good guys. I'm just gunna get a set and see how it goes. Bensh does destroy my hands but I just use chalk and that helps alot to keep em from gettin tore up.

joel.recla
06-01-10, 3:28 am
Oh and what kind of strap would be good for a first time user??

The House
06-01-10, 6:12 am

The animal straps are good...

Razor
06-01-10, 8:45 am
The animal straps are good...

Damn right! I never go without them.

IRBS
06-01-10, 9:31 am

APT or Ironmind

You should only be using straps for shrugs or maybe pullups. Leave them in the bag for deadlifts.

joel.recla
06-01-10, 1:13 pm
APT or Ironmind

You should only be using straps for shrugs or maybe pullups. Leave them in the bag for deadlifts.

alright sounds good. I looked at some but I don't know what the dif is between the 21" ones or the 12" is the size the only dif?

Cstlfx
06-01-10, 2:34 pm
alright sounds good. I looked at some but I don't know what the dif is between the 21" ones or the 12" is the size the only dif?

The size is length of the strap. The longer the strap, the more times it can be wrapped around the bar, giving more assistance.

Then the also have the width of the strap (generally range from 1-2") which is another factor. Basically the bigger and longer a strap the less you really have to hold on to a bar.

Like IRBS said, use them for accessory lifts (shrugs, maybe pull-ups, etc) and leave them in your bag for the big lifts.

joel.recla
06-01-10, 2:50 pm
okay sounds good guys, thank you so much for the help. I think I might get a set and try it ut on shrus, but I might just deal with not haveing them

xxhammerxx
12-16-10, 9:44 am
I have some 24" Strangulators wrist wraps by APT and they are great, some of the best wraps I have ever had, they are pretty stiff but I like it that way. I also use Double Ply Rage X with the "new" neck, I first learned with a size too big single ply Rage X then prgressed to a "used" Double Ply and now currently use the new one. I also use a 13mm double prong belt from APT, it was tough to use at first but once it became broken in its been awesome.

Razor
12-16-10, 9:48 am
New this month for me are Embroidered MOTIVATORS w/Cotton 1 inch and 24" CONVICT Pros. I'm a very happy camper.

Hercules
01-28-11, 7:28 pm
A couple years ago I would have been against it, but I'm looking to buy a bench shirt. I started out raw, but after competing for a couple years I realize that if I want to run with the big dogs in need a shirt. I've competed in a few different federations, but I lift primarily in WABDL meets. I'm currently benching in the low 400s (20" APT Convict wrist wraps only) in the 242 class; since I've never really focus on it, I'm on a bench-based program now to get my numbers up. I bench with a mild arch (not too crazy) and my elbows are somewhere in between a flare and staying tight. I touch low on my chest, not all the way to my belly. I currently have a Metal King Deadlifter and I like the material. I have some experience with Metal gear and I'm leaning toward buying a Metal shirt. However, I'm open to suggestions...

Hercules
01-30-11, 11:48 am
...and just to follow up on my last post (above), I just found a great deal on a new Inzer Phenom (single ply). Plusses, minuses, and overall general info would be appreciated.

IRBS
01-31-11, 10:00 am
If you are looking for a good single ply shirt, most guys are getting the most carryover out of Titan Katana'a and Super Katana's. I have benched in both and they are very good.

For MultiPly, Go with a Double RageX or Metal Bash Pro. Both are good shirts. I personally prefer Inzer for Multiply. I started in a single ply Titan F6, then went to a Titan Katana, then Super Katana, and now am in a Triple RageX. In the next year I am thinking of getting a Super Duper Phenom, but with a pricetag of $300+ I may not go that route, haha.

If you go Titan, call Ken Anderson, he is great to work with and will make sure you get the right fit.

Big D
01-31-11, 10:07 am
OVERKILL briefs

got a pair of 2ply front and 3 ply back OverKill briefs and by far are the best briefs i have used.

they give you the stoppin power of canvas and the pop of poly.

great combo.

naturalguy
02-14-11, 10:37 am
I just ordered a new belt - Inzer 13mm forever lever

Razor
02-14-11, 10:37 am
I just ordered a new belt - Inzer 13mm forever lever

That's what i'm talking about. Nice grab brotha!

naturalguy
02-14-11, 10:42 am
That's what i'm talking about. Nice grab brotha!

Yeah, I can't wait to get it to break that sucker in

Razor
02-14-11, 10:43 am
I love Inzer belts. The quality is the best out there and the weight is definitely a sign of reliability.

Mikey132
02-20-11, 11:34 am
A couple years ago I would have been against it, but I'm looking to buy a bench shirt. I started out raw, but after competing for a couple years I realize that if I want to run with the big dogs in need a shirt. I've competed in a few different federations, but I lift primarily in WABDL meets. I'm currently benching in the low 400s (20" APT Convict wrist wraps only) in the 242 class; since I've never really focus on it, I'm on a bench-based program now to get my numbers up. I bench with a mild arch (not too crazy) and my elbows are somewhere in between a flare and staying tight. I touch low on my chest, not all the way to my belly. I currently have a Metal King Deadlifter and I like the material. I have some experience with Metal gear and I'm leaning toward buying a Metal shirt. However, I'm open to suggestions...

You may want to try a Titan F6 with the Straight Cut sleeves. The F6 has a real broad chest plate so even if you touch the bar a bit low (lower than the base of the sternum) you will still get maximum recoil. Also since it is your first time in a shirt it may not be the wisest thing getting the newer "super hardcore" shirts such as the Super Katana or whatever Inzer and Metal's strongest one is.

Hercules
02-20-11, 1:20 pm
You may want to try a Titan F6 with the Straight Cut sleeves. The F6 has a real broad chest plate so even if you touch the bar a bit low (lower than the base of the sternum) you will still get maximum recoil. Also since it is your first time in a shirt it may not be the wisest thing getting the newer "super hardcore" shirts such as the Super Katana or whatever Inzer and Metal's strongest one is.

Thanks, Mikey. You are right - starting with one of the crazy-heavy shirts isn't the best idea. Problem with the F6 is that I don't have that big of an arch. I think I'd probably benefit more from a Fury if I went the Titan route. I did end up buying a new Inzer Phenom already. For the price I got it for, it was a great deal on a 'learning' shirt. I'll invest in something a bit more radical once I get acclimated to putting a shirt on and getting under the bar with it.

Mikey132
02-21-11, 7:00 pm
Nice bro, that is a good shirt. Best of luck with training and figuring it out.

BigChrisF
02-24-11, 11:00 pm
A little late to this party, but I'll give my thoughts anyway.

The single phenom is a good beginner's shirt (not for the asking price, but you got a deal) because of the material. The Hardcore material is really elastic and will get a lifter used to the tight feeling and the pressure of a shirt without having a lot of weight to touch or having to worry about a groove. Just bench normally and let the elasticity of the shirt work for you.

Here's where the honeymoon ends

If you find that you like shirts and want to get more out of them but still want to stay single-ply, the same feature that made the Phenom great is its weakness. Due to the stretchiness, the shirt has to be stupid tight in order to maximize carryover. And I mean stupid. Without experience it gear it is hard to tell, but if it takes you and an experienced handler less than 15 minutes to get it all the way on, then it is not tight enough. Problem is that the Phenom has a tendency to blow out at the collar when it is this tight. This can be solved with success by getting one with a superneck. Now the weak point will be at the shoulder seam, but those can be reinforced too. Now you are almost $200 deep in a single ply shirt that has limited life because that much stretch wears out the fabric kinda fast.

Hercules
02-25-11, 9:20 pm
Thanks, Chris. I've read some negative stuff about the Phenom along those same lines. I was hesitant to buy it at first due to that info, but I got the shirt brand new with velcro back for less than $100 so I didn't break the bank for a starter shirt. Once I get used the the armpit bruising and tightness of a shirt I will upgrade, no doubt.

Phil800101
03-12-11, 6:01 pm
EliteFTS is having a sale now through Monday 03/14. Sale items end up being an additional 20% off of the sale price.

http://www.elitefts.com/

I just picked up a foam roller and a monster stick.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone was looking to pick anything up.

BryanSmash!
03-14-11, 7:56 pm
EliteFTS is having a sale now through Monday 03/14. Sale items end up being an additional 20% off of the sale price.

http://www.elitefts.com/

I just picked up a foam roller and a monster stick.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone was looking to pick anything up.

Picked me up an adjustable squat box, it was an offer I couldnt refuse.

Hercules
04-02-11, 4:28 pm
I have a meet coming up in 2 weeks. The past few weeks I've been in my shirt and a deadlift suit to prepare (looking to set some more FL state records). Every time I come home from the gym my wife looks at me and tells me that I have broken blood vessels all over my face. When I pull they usually end up on my neck and shoulders as well. No nose bleeds, but it does feel like my eyes are going to explode out of my head. I know this is fairly common. Other than the normal bites on the chest and arms from your shirt and marks from your suit, what are you guys experiencing from your geared days?

Cstlfx
04-02-11, 7:08 pm
I have a meet coming up in 2 weeks. The past few weeks I've been in my shirt and a deadlift suit to prepare (looking to set some more FL state records). Every time I come home from the gym my wife looks at me and tells me that I have broken blood vessels all over my face. When I pull they usually end up on my neck and shoulders as well. No nose bleeds, but it does feel like my eyes are going to explode out of my head. I know this is fairly common. Other than the normal bites on the chest and arms from your shirt and marks from your suit, what are you guys experiencing from your geared days?

I get those broken blood vessels raw! Haha. I learned to breathe out when I'm about to explode in order to alleviate the problem. Dont know if you can do that in gear and still keep your form. But I wanted to say you are not alone!

BigChrisF
04-03-11, 7:28 pm
I get the broken blood vessels as well. Once I've been training in gear consistently for a while they lessen. It's like weeding out the weaker vessels. After a break from gear for a month or more, they will break real bad all over again.

BigChrisF
06-19-11, 7:19 pm
I just pulled in my Ace suit for the first time. I pulled sumo, obviously. I have a deadlift only meet next weekend, so I was just kind of screwing around with it. I ended up pulling 605 for a triple. Nothing too hard as I don't want to screw up my hands. I want to save that for the meet.

I didn't set the straps tight. I had my hand between the straps and had a buddy then fasten them as tight as he could. This ended up feeling about right. I use the suit with briefs to squat in (although I haven't in about a year) so the hips were looser than I would like in a suit. The legs felt snug and didn't slip.

Even during the set up it didn't feel like I was going to get a lot of support and it wasn't difficult to pull myself into position. Once I pulled my hips down, I got a great pop off the floor. I realize that this wasn't heavy, but I think I had to put more effort into keeping my balance than I did in pulling the weight. I am definitely going to have to put more effort into exploring this in the future.

BryanSmash!
06-25-11, 8:21 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8THtmSCYJg&feature=feedu

I like the idea of the pull straps, but wonder if theyll hold up for long.
Thoughts?

Hercules
06-26-11, 1:14 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8THtmSCYJg&feature=feedu

I like the idea of the pull straps, but wonder if theyll hold up for long.
Thoughts?

Looks promising. After my displeasure with Inzer I think my next shirt will be a Metal. I'll wait on the new Jack until I read some solid reviews.

BryanSmash!
06-26-11, 2:39 pm
Looks promising. After my displeasure with Inzer I think my next shirt will be a Metal. I'll wait on the new Jack until I read some solid reviews.

All my gear is Metal, and I really like my Ace shirt. I hate to be such a gear whore, but this is the thread for it lol.

weaver
08-13-11, 8:22 pm
i guess my question is more of when do you think someone should make the jump into using gear. i mean is there a strength mark of somewhat? i've been lifting for 8 yrs been into powerlifting since the beginning, but was always lifting like a bodybuilder. put i've decided to jump into PL with both feet. i'm doing a push pull in nov. and currently have a 330lb BP and a 430DL but trying to add at least 20-30lbs by then. this is a RAW comp, but i just feel like if i really want to get weight up i should use gear, as this is the reason why people use it right? i was think on a titan centurion for a squat suit, and maybe a f6 or a fury for a bench shirt. could i DL in the squat suit also?

BigChrisF
08-14-11, 2:33 am
There is a lot of opinion to be given out here. There really isn't a particular strength level to attain before getting into gear. You don't want to jump right in before you get some experience in with the weights, but clearly you have that. I think that it is a good idea to go with single ply first. This will give you a good idea what gear is all about and if it is for you with about half the expense of multi-ply gear. Lifting with gear isn't easy and some people can't/don't want to handle the pain and pressure. Training with gear can increase your raw lifts, but if you use it too much you will develop weak points in your raw lifts from depending too much on the support from gear.

If your squat suit fits right, you won't be able to deadlift with it because you won't be able to reach the bar.

weaver
08-14-11, 7:57 am
There is a lot of opinion to be given out here. There really isn't a particular strength level to attain before getting into gear. You don't want to jump right in before you get some experience in with the weights, but clearly you have that. I think that it is a good idea to go with single ply first. This will give you a good idea what gear is all about and if it is for you with about half the expense of multi-ply gear. Lifting with gear isn't easy and some people can't/don't want to handle the pain and pressure. Training with gear can increase your raw lifts, but if you use it too much you will develop weak points in your raw lifts from depending too much on the support from gear.

If your squat suit fits right, you won't be able to deadlift with it because you won't be able to reach the bar. hey thanks a lot for the info.

weaver
08-14-11, 9:55 am
also, whats the opinion on buying used gear? i see a lot of guys talk about that. i would think you would want a new piece of equipment. what is the advantages, or draw backs from doing this?

Bruiser
08-14-11, 10:30 am
What are some good homemade alternatives to buying (bench) chains and bands that you guys have found to work? I wanna pick up some chains but with shipping they'd be over $150. Not sure if I can find big enough chains (maybe at the farm supply store) that I could use. And for bands, I can't come up with a cheap alternative. Give me some ideas guys. Do you think if I can't find 5/8" chains I could use smaller ones that are longer and doubled up?

BigChrisF
08-14-11, 4:42 pm
also, whats the opinion on buying used gear? i see a lot of guys talk about that. i would think you would want a new piece of equipment. what is the advantages, or draw backs from doing this?

Buying used gear is a good idea. When I want to try something out that I have never used before, I find it to be a cheap alternative. Most of the gear I have purchased is used.

Advantages would be saving money and getting a wider experience for gear without breaking the bank. The drawback would be that gear wears out so it doesn't last as long as buying new and buying a piece that is pretty well used up won't give you a good appreciation for it's true performance. And then there is the buyer beware aspect of any person to person market. There are those out there to rip you off.

BigChrisF
08-14-11, 5:06 pm
What are some good homemade alternatives to buying (bench) chains and bands that you guys have found to work? I wanna pick up some chains but with shipping they'd be over $150. Not sure if I can find big enough chains (maybe at the farm supply store) that I could use. And for bands, I can't come up with a cheap alternative. Give me some ideas guys. Do you think if I can't find 5/8" chains I could use smaller ones that are longer and doubled up?

Buying chains that are marketed specifically for powerlifting is generally over priced. I bought mine on sale from a supply company. Larger diameter chains get expensive per foot, so I opted to just use more 3/8" chain.

I don't know of a cheap alternative to buying bands other than just getting bands. I have had mine for few years now. It's a little bit of an investment, but if you take care of them, they should last. Wait 'til EFS has a sale and buy a bag of monster mini bands. It will give you versatility with tension and still get you around 250-300 tension at the top of a squat.

Bruiser
08-14-11, 5:16 pm
Buying chains that are marketed specifically for powerlifting is generally over priced. I bought mine on sale from a supply company. Larger diameter chains get expensive per foot, so I opted to just use more 3/8" chain.

I don't know of a cheap alternative to buying bands other than just getting bands. I have had mine for few years now. It's a little bit of an investment, but if you take care of them, they should last. Wait 'til EFS has a sale and buy a bag of monster mini bands. It will give you versatility with tension and still get you around 250-300 tension at the top of a squat.

Thanks man. That's kind of what I was thinking was to just get 3/8" and double 'em up. Just hadn't gotten any firsthand advice on it.

weaver
08-14-11, 8:16 pm
Buying used gear is a good idea. When I want to try something out that I have never used before, I find it to be a cheap alternative. Most of the gear I have purchased is used.

Advantages would be saving money and getting a wider experience for gear without breaking the bank. The drawback would be that gear wears out so it doesn't last as long as buying new and buying a piece that is pretty well used up won't give you a good appreciation for it's true performance. And then there is the buyer beware aspect of any person to person market. There are those out there to rip you off.
where's a good place to look besides ebay?

BigChrisF
08-14-11, 9:48 pm
Most powerlifting forums will have a classified section. I've picked up some stuff from fortified-iron.com in the past, but the traffic over there is kind of low right now.

TXPWRLFTR
08-25-11, 3:22 pm
To the guy that posted about buying used gear, I bought a used pair of metal briefs and use them for my "loose brief" training days...I used Inzer Preds under my Boss during contest time.

J Wong
08-25-11, 5:16 pm
I just ordered metal pro briefs size 46, I am probably going to get a metal pro squatter as well size 50, then sending the suit to Ginny Phillips to put velcro straps on. Has anybody used the metal pro brief/metal pro squatter combo in here?

BryanSmash!
08-25-11, 5:24 pm
I just ordered metal pro briefs size 46, I am probably going to get a metal pro squatter as well size 50, then sending the suit to Ginny Phillips to put velcro straps on. Has anybody used the metal pro brief/metal pro squatter combo in here?

Ive used the pro brief/ace squatter combo before. Worked well, good stop and pop.

J Wong
08-25-11, 9:31 pm
Ive used the pro brief/ace squatter combo before. Worked well, good stop and pop.

Thanks. I just started training in some used gear recently for the first time... gonna do a geared meet in December so I am trying to get all the right stuff.

BigChrisF
08-26-11, 1:23 am
I haven't used the pro briefs or suit, but I have used the viking briefs and ace briefs/suit and I love the ace cut and material. I would just start off with the pro briefs and the ace suit. I would get the pro briefs really tight and the ace suit just a little bit loose. This would be a nice combo to start with and when you get better and want more support, you can get some tight ace briefs and wear them under the same suit and the whole combo will be tight since the ace briefs are thicker than the pro or viking.

LegendKillerJosh
09-07-11, 2:46 pm
I've only benched in a shirt one time. I really liked it a lot and want to buy one. The shirt I used was the single ply titan f6. It fit my groove perfect, I used it once for 3 sets and had no trouble with my style of benching, the bar moved perfectly in the groove and I benched 405 off a 2 board my first time (raw max is 370). The person I borrowed the shirt from said if I'm going to buy a shirt I should go right to a multiply and not even bother with a single. What do you guys with experience think? Would it be fine to go straight to a multiply F6 for my first shirt? I don't have a ton of money and don't want to buy more than one shirt. The guy I would buy it from also gives first time buyers a shirt that is a little bit loose and I can send it back to have it tightened up if I want to for a small charge. Is a multiply F6 a good idea for a first shirt under those circumstances? Or would you recommend something else?

BigChrisF
09-07-11, 3:08 pm
It is certainly workable. There is no reason to start with a single-ply if you don't have any intention of competing with it. I recommend single-ply for beginners because it is a cheaper alternative to figure out if gear is for them. You have already tried it and decided it is something you want to pursue.

I have never tried a double F6, but I know people who have used it with success and like it. Getting one a little looser than normal and then tightening the sleeves will get you something that is easier to touch but still good lockout support. If you have bigger arms relative to your chest size, a stock size may come this way anyway.

Just make sure whatever shirt you get is legal for where you want to compete.

Justin Randal
09-07-11, 5:35 pm
I've only benched in a shirt one time. I really liked it a lot and want to buy one. The shirt I used was the single ply titan f6. It fit my groove perfect, I used it once for 3 sets and had no trouble with my style of benching, the bar moved perfectly in the groove and I benched 405 off a 2 board my first time (raw max is 370). The person I borrowed the shirt from said if I'm going to buy a shirt I should go right to a multiply and not even bother with a single. What do you guys with experience think? Would it be fine to go straight to a multiply F6 for my first shirt? I don't have a ton of money and don't want to buy more than one shirt. The guy I would buy it from also gives first time buyers a shirt that is a little bit loose and I can send it back to have it tightened up if I want to for a small charge. Is a multiply F6 a good idea for a first shirt under those circumstances? Or would you recommend something else?

I think Titan singleply shirts are pretty good (in my experience) though I have also seen a few guys in the gym struggle to get the single ply Kitana's to touch (this was not my experience). I didn't really like the multiply shirt i tried out (Super Kitana) as it was really hard to touch my chest.

I personally have had great success with the Rage -X (single and multiply) and Phenom (I think around 16 ply on the neck LOL) Inzer Shirts. I've gotten great pop of the chest and solid carry through with both. The Phenom tends to move weight more explosively where the Rage-X grinds a bit more and is easier for some to control with maximal weight and would likely be a better multiply shirt to learn with though overall, the Phenom is the better of the 2.

I've heard that the Overkill shirt is amazing though I have yet to try it out. I plan to soon!

I wore a singleply shirt for 6-7 workouts and moved to multiply with no problems. So I would recommend getting a few more workouts in with your buddie's shirt if he'll let you and trying to touch your chest with something reasonable. Also was the shirt easy to get on or did it take a few minutes?

Lemme know if you have any more questions..

weaver
09-13-11, 2:42 pm
what's everyone opinion on the carryover one would get from a single ply shirt? i see on a lot of boards guys talking about getting at least 100lbs more then their raw benches. and on the multiply ply even more..like 200-300!! is that possible? i'm about to do my first meet ever and it's raw. but i was planning on buying some gear. i'm 210lbs right now, and bench 325lbs.

BigChrisF
09-13-11, 6:58 pm
Most of those numbers are that way because they train specifically for shirted benching. When my sole focus was on my single-ply training, I got about 120 lbs carryover from my katana. I haven't focused on shirt training for a while and my raw bench has increased, but my shirted numbers about the same. This would mean that I now get less carryover from my raw bench than I did before.

Justin Randal
09-14-11, 11:13 am
what's everyone opinion on the carryover one would get from a single ply shirt? i see on a lot of boards guys talking about getting at least 100lbs more then their raw benches. and on the multiply ply even more..like 200-300!! is that possible? i'm about to do my first meet ever and it's raw. but i was planning on buying some gear. i'm 210lbs right now, and bench 325lbs.

I definately agree with BigChris. Specialized training can make a huge difference! I think you have to think more in percentages rather than a solid carry over #. I typically get anywhere from a 30-50% carryover from a singleply shirt (Depending on the shirt). You also have to consider arm length as the guys with longer arms typically get less carry over because the shirt lets go earlier (longer ROM).

weaver
09-14-11, 6:32 pm
ok here's another question. where can i find literature on how to use the shirt. like how often to use it, how to break it in, what to expect from it...like the first time you put it on do you try to touch in it or do you work to touch in it over a couple of weeks(workouts) there should be a bench shirt for dummies book!

LegendKillerJosh
09-14-11, 6:37 pm
I definately agree with BigChris. Specialized training can make a huge difference! I think you have to think more in percentages rather than a solid carry over #. I typically get anywhere from a 30-50% carryover from a singleply shirt (Depending on the shirt). You also have to consider arm length as the guys with longer arms typically get less carry over because the shirt lets go earlier (longer ROM).

I agree with both of you. I almost never actually do raw benching down to the chest. When I bench raw it's off boards (anywhere from 2-4) and even shirted I'd go with a 1 or 2 board. Basically since we all know the shirt gives so much support off the chest, and what that also does it gets the bar moving so well it's easier to lockout. Like how using legs on an overhead press makes it much easier than just strictly pressing.

BigChrisF
09-15-11, 3:38 am
ok here's another question. where can i find literature on how to use the shirt. like how often to use it, how to break it in, what to expect from it...like the first time you put it on do you try to touch in it or do you work to touch in it over a couple of weeks(workouts) there should be a bench shirt for dummies book!

Everyone will have a different opinion on these things. If you are trying to break in a new shirt or are trying to learn how to use a shirt, you will need to use it often. Something like 3 out of 4 workouts. Once you are proficient you won't use it really often except when you start preparing about 4 or 5 months from the meet.

How to break it in will depend a little on what kind of shirt it is and how tight it is. If it is really tight, you should take a spray bottle and wet down the seams and maybe the chest plate a little while you are wearing it. The wet material will stretch a little better while you are benching. Make sure you get the sleeves all the way up to your armpits. Sleeve slippers or trash bags will make this easier.

I used to use boards when breaking in a shirt, but I found it's easier to just try to bring the bar as low as you can. Touching will take a lot out of you, so over the next couple workouts increase the weight until you get the bar to touch. Be cautious with this, because the shirt will push you around a bit and if you aren't ready you can dump the weight. Have your spotters stay close while you are getting accustomed to using shirts.

BigChrisF
09-15-11, 4:03 am
I agree with both of you. I almost never actually do raw benching down to the chest. When I bench raw it's off boards (anywhere from 2-4) and even shirted I'd go with a 1 or 2 board. Basically since we all know the shirt gives so much support off the chest, and what that also does it gets the bar moving so well it's easier to lockout. Like how using legs on an overhead press makes it much easier than just strictly pressing.

A lot of people make the mistake of rarely, if ever, touching during training. This can cause several problems. First, the lifter may lack the technique needed to touch where its needed or may not have the patience. Second, you may not be able to press a weight full range that you can do off boards. You may wonder how you can miss a weight at lockout in a full range press that is significantly lower than what you have done off two or three boards. Obviously you don't need more lockout work. Its because you don't have the endurance built up to lower the weight that far and press it back up. This adds time under tension you aren't prepared for.

weaver
09-15-11, 9:19 am
Everyone will have a different opinion on these things. If you are trying to break in a new shirt or are trying to learn how to use a shirt, you will need to use it often. Something like 3 out of 4 workouts. Once you are proficient you won't use it really often except when you start preparing about 4 or 5 months from the meet.

How to break it in will depend a little on what kind of shirt it is and how tight it is. If it is really tight, you should take a spray bottle and wet down the seams and maybe the chest plate a little while you are wearing it. The wet material will stretch a little better while you are benching. Make sure you get the sleeves all the way up to your armpits. Sleeve slippers or trash bags will make this easier.

I used to use boards when breaking in a shirt, but I found it's easier to just try to bring the bar as low as you can. Touching will take a lot out of you, so over the next couple workouts increase the weight until you get the bar to touch. Be cautious with this, because the shirt will push you around a bit and if you aren't ready you can dump the weight. Have your spotters stay close while you are getting accustomed to using shirts. ok got ya thanks for the info. so basically if i wanted to get into geared lifting, get the suits and use them often to get used to wearing them. from what ive read the more i use the suits the more they'll stretch out and have to be tailored or replaced. so, i would probably get some single ply suits use them in training.....maybe some used ones. then once i get proficient in using them invest in some new ones then pick a meet date break those in a couple of times before the meet. am i on the right track? oh, and i found this http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/powerlifting-articles/shirt-break-in-process/.....what do you think?

BigChrisF
09-15-11, 5:47 pm
That's pretty much correct. Some materials wear out faster than others. Learning to sew will save you loads of money in the long run.

I've gotten most of my gear used. It's a good way to try out something you've never used before without committing to the full cost.

As for the article, it seems about right. You may want to check out block periodization as well. A lot of people have had good success with that.

weaver
09-20-11, 8:09 pm
just ordered a titan f6 off ebay ...and it's brandnew. $100 total. this guys got a ton of gear. was thinking about getting a titan superior suit for deads and probably a centurion for squats. i wont start using this stuff until after my raw meet in november but i figured id better get it while i can.

weaver
09-25-11, 5:58 pm
so my next step is to buy a squat suit. titan has the best single ply from what ive read, so i would rather stick with that. since im new to gear, superior, spartan, or centurion? i know the first 2 are entry level suits but i really feel if im gonna do this im gonna jump in with both feet. any thoughts?

weaver
09-25-11, 9:29 pm
ok so i got a lone on centurion(used a few times) size 44. on the website(titan support) it says for comp fit go one size bigger...i weigh 215 and my quads are 26...and im 5-10...what do you guys think? should i go to 42?

weaver
09-28-11, 8:36 am
this thread is dead as shit!

Phil800101
09-28-11, 2:20 pm
this thread is dead as shit!

It's only been a few days since your last posts. Many of the PLers on here don't necessarily check this thread each and every day, some of them can only make it onto the Forvm every few days due to commitments to work, school, family etc.

Relax, and you'll get an answer soon enough.

Big D
09-28-11, 11:52 pm
ok so i got a lone on centurion(used a few times) size 44. on the website(titan support) it says for comp fit go one size bigger...i weigh 215 and my quads are 26...and im 5-10...what do you guys think? should i go to 42?

comp fit is one size smaller not bigger.

your comp suit should be tight as shit.

BigChrisF
09-29-11, 12:48 am
It's hard to judge what size you should get. The more experience with gear you have, the tighter you will be able to wear your gear. I am about 6'5" and 315 and I wear a 48 super centurion.

weaver
09-29-11, 8:35 am
thanks bro....i'm gonna get it. got my bench shirt yesterday, cant wait to get into this stuff to try it out. the centurion is a hell of a deal. the guy said it only been squatted in a few times with the straps down, it's the nxg super plus.

weaver
10-11-11, 8:45 pm
so i got the titan squat suit today...it's a 44 wide stance. should i be able to put it on with out slipers? because i did...it was a pain in the ass and the legs are super tight, it didnt take very long at all....i worked my legs in and squatted down a lot to work it up as high as it could go. once it was tight, i could barely bend over.

Justin Randal
10-12-11, 11:48 pm
so i got the titan squat suit today...it's a 44 wide stance. should i be able to put it on with out slipers? because i did...it was a pain in the ass and the legs are super tight, it didnt take very long at all....i worked my legs in and squatted down a lot to work it up as high as it could go. once it was tight, i could barely bend over.

Sounds about right. Do you plan to wear briefs??

weaver
10-13-11, 11:37 am
Sounds about right. Do you plan to wear briefs?? nope no squat briefs just underwear under neath. training for a raw push/pull meet, but gonna take it to the gym today and try it out.

weaver
10-13-11, 12:55 pm
so i just came back from the gym and all i can say is wow......i hurt my back last year(not gym related) and couldnt squat nor DL for at least 8 months. i am slowly getting my squats back in check and have been maxing out at 325 for a single. i worked up to 405 in this suit and i still wasnt hitting parallel. it wouldnt taken at least another 50lbs maybe more so thats over 100lbs from my raw max, my first time ever using a suit. this took alot out of me, and i did feel some tightness in my lower back so i didnt want to chance it na d mess up my meet. but it looks promising.

weaver
10-13-11, 12:56 pm
so i just came back from the gym and all i can say is wow......i hurt my back last year(not gym related) and couldnt squat nor DL for at least 8 months. i am slowly getting my squats back in check and have been maxing out at 325 for a single. i worked up to 405 in this suit and i still wasnt hitting parallel. it wouldnt taken at least another 50lbs maybe more so thats over 100lbs from my raw max, my first time ever using a suit. this took alot out of me, and i did feel some tightness in my lower back so i didnt want to chance it and mess up my meet. but it looks promising.

LegendKillerJosh
12-25-11, 7:56 pm
I got my first squat suit today. It's an Inzer Hardcore, the basic single-ply suit for first time gear wearers. My max raw squat right now is around 500. I've never squatted in a suit before. We have a monolift at our gym, and since joining a powerlifting gym my form has gotten I'd say nearly perfect - wide stance, toes out, standing on the outside of my toes, knees out, sitting back, looking up, back arched, hips back, etc.

So anyway my question is just this - is there anything I should know when squatting in a suit for the first time? The suit is pretty darn tight, but not too tight. I can get it on by myself, it just takes about 10 good minutes of kicking, squatting and pulling. I don't want to look dumb the first time I use it, and I've seen videos of people falling forward or backwards wearing the suit for the first time. Any advice guys?

BigChrisF
12-26-11, 4:14 am
The Hardcore is a very easy suit to use. Because of the stretchy nature of the material, it doesn't really have a groove and you can squat however you feel like. This stretchiness does mean it has to be sick tight to get the best carryover from it.

First thing you are going to have to become accustomed to is the pressure. You're going to feel like your face is going to blow off. Keeping your belt loose or not using it with the straps up will help ease you into things Once you grow more accustomed to the feeling you can add the belt back in to however you like to wear it. Also holding your air in your belly and not in your chest will help. This will also allow you to force your abs out into your belt as well as breathe with a heavy bar on your back.

LegendKillerJosh
12-27-11, 6:43 pm
The Hardcore is a very easy suit to use. Because of the stretchy nature of the material, it doesn't really have a groove and you can squat however you feel like. This stretchiness does mean it has to be sick tight to get the best carryover from it.

First thing you are going to have to become accustomed to is the pressure. You're going to feel like your face is going to blow off. Keeping your belt loose or not using it with the straps up will help ease you into things Once you grow more accustomed to the feeling you can add the belt back in to however you like to wear it. Also holding your air in your belly and not in your chest will help. This will also allow you to force your abs out into your belt as well as breathe with a heavy bar on your back.

Thanks for the advice. The big belly of air is something I do good, so I'll be sure to focus on that. I can't imagine what the pressure is going to be like. My face feels like it's going to explode just from having a tight belt and knee wraps. When I put the suit on just to try it it was tightest around the quads (I know it will leave a mark inside my thighs) and glutes. Even with the straps up it wasn't that tight on my belly.

BigChrisF
12-27-11, 7:20 pm
That's good. My hips are comparatively narrow, so in order to get the suit snug around my hips it was really tight around the torso.

weaver
12-27-11, 10:24 pm
alright, i did my first raw meet and got 1st place in my weight class (220's) with a 330 bench and 465 deadlift...both felt easy and i feel like i could've put on 10lbs on each. so my next meet will be at the end of march and i want to use the single ply gear i have. as this is my first time in gear, i would like some advice on how to lay out my training. last meet cycle was 10 weeks, and i think that worked out good because it seemed like i peaked right when i was supposed to...i dont train using the ME/DE method or anything like that, just old school periodzation. any suggestions?thanks.

LegendKillerJosh
12-29-11, 1:06 pm
That's good. My hips are comparatively narrow, so in order to get the suit snug around my hips it was really tight around the torso.

You were right about the suit being easy to use. It was very easy, I didn't have to change my form at all. My best raw squat since getting out of rehab was 475 and yesterday in a suit for the first time ever I did 495 fairly easily. I thought the suit was very tight but the more experienced guys in the gym said for how quickly I got it on its not that tight. They said I gotta get some power briefs to wear underneath and then it will be tight. I do have the privilege of training with guys where my 500 squat is by far the lowest one lol. Yesterday one of the guys did a 775 low box squat and no one blinked an eye.

The only thing I couldn't learn in 1 session was how to deadlift with the suit. We pull after squatting, a little bit lighter for speed, for support. I've always pulled conventional but I couldn't get my ass down, keep my back straight and bend over to grip the bar at the same time. I pulled 405 practically stiff-legged, and then tried 405 again sumo style and my form was much better. I just need to learn to grip the bar and use the bar to pull my hips down and get my back straight, which should come over time.

weaver
12-30-11, 8:33 pm
what's the best way to break in my new f6 shirt?

BigChrisF
12-31-11, 12:43 am
what's the best way to break in my new f6 shirt?

I would do board presses and use lower boards over the course of about a month until you get down to a half board or touching. You should probably start with a 3 board. If you find yourself touching any of the boards easily, then go down to the next board. Try to work with 3-5 reps. As the weight increases on lower boards, use lower reps. How hard this is depends entirely on how tight the shirt is to start with and how well you deal with the pressure. If you wet down the chest plate and sleeves with water, this will facilitate stretching of the fabric and make the process easier.

weaver
12-31-11, 1:00 pm
I would do board presses and use lower boards over the course of about a month until you get down to a half board or touching. You should probably start with a 3 board. If you find yourself touching any of the boards easily, then go down to the next board. Try to work with 3-5 reps. As the weight increases on lower boards, use lower reps. How hard this is depends entirely on how tight the shirt is to start with and how well you deal with the pressure. If you wet down the chest plate and sleeves with water, this will facilitate stretching of the fabric and make the process easier.
hey thanks a lot bro! i have another question. how would you set a 8-10 week program going into a meet for this shirt. what i mean is, my last comp, i hit a 330 bench raw and i used a 10 week cycle peeking at 305 for a triple into the 9th week with the 10th being the meet. so, i would imagine the numbers will change with the shirt.

BigChrisF
12-31-11, 4:24 pm
hey thanks a lot bro! i have another question. how would you set a 8-10 week program going into a meet for this shirt. what i mean is, my last comp, i hit a 330 bench raw and i used a 10 week cycle peeking at 305 for a triple into the 9th week with the 10th being the meet. so, i would imagine the numbers will change with the shirt.

If you are only a couple of months out, you are going to spend most of the time breaking-in and learning how to use the shirt. After some break-in work, you should spend the remainder of time finding out the lightest weight you can touch and the heaviest you can press full range and hope that the former is less than the latter.

Past that, I would just deload every four weeks. So 3 weeks in the shirt and 1 out. Use boards, bands and chains to set up a variety of pressing exercises. Every 3 week micro cycle you should make sure you get down to at least a 1 board. Never go a long time without working the lower end of the press. As the meet gets closer, start phasing out bands and chains and using more straight weight and lower boards and full range.

weaver
12-31-11, 5:11 pm
If you are only a couple of months out, you are going to spend most of the time breaking-in and learning how to use the shirt. After some break-in work, you should spend the remainder of time finding out the lightest weight you can touch and the heaviest you can press full range and hope that the former is less than the latter.

Past that, I would just deload every four weeks. So 3 weeks in the shirt and 1 out. Use boards, bands and chains to set up a variety of pressing exercises. Every 3 week micro cycle you should make sure you get down to at least a 1 board. Never go a long time without working the lower end of the press. As the meet gets closer, start phasing out bands and chains and using more straight weight and lower boards and full range.
thanks bro. i'll take your advice and i'll check in to let you know how it's going.

weaver
01-02-12, 5:42 pm
so first session in the f6 tonight. after i warmed up on raw presses, i put the shirt on,which took forever. i did three sets of triples on 3 boards, with 335 easy. 5lbs over my max...i liked it.

Lunchead
01-06-12, 10:34 pm
i was wondering if I could use a deadlift suit to squat if my squat stance is fairly close? and I also want to know what suits from the brands you listed are good for conventional pullers? thanks

BigChrisF
01-07-12, 12:00 am
You could do that. They aren't really designed for squatting and sitting back like you need to, but it would work. I would be more likely to recommend trying to deadlift in your squat suit if you only want to buy one. If you want only one suit, I would recommend the Inzer Hardcore since it doesn't really have a groove and will give you the versatility you are looking for. For deadlift suits I have liked Metal the best. I like the King pro conventional deadlifter since it grabs on the legs and doesn't bind in the crotch as much. However I think the Metal pro deadlifter was a more durable suit. I just had to wear a cup with it because it wanted to squash my nuts pretty bad.

weaver
01-07-12, 11:52 am
i just tried deadlifting in my titan centurion wide stance, i will NEVER do that again. i couldnt even get down to the bar to get a decent grip on it. think im just gonna buy one.

weaver
01-07-12, 12:13 pm
i just tried deadlifting in my titan centurion wide stance, i will NEVER do that again. i couldnt even get down to the bar to get a decent grip on it. think im just gonna buy one. to be fair though, i squat wide but pull conventional. i dont think the suit is really even broken in yet.

weaver
01-07-12, 12:47 pm
best single ply DL suit? anyone?

BigChrisF
01-08-12, 3:19 am
to be fair though, i squat wide but pull conventional. i dont think the suit is really even broken in yet.

The suit does kind of pull funny when you stand too close together. Although, typically if the suit is tight enough for the squat, it will be too tight to get to the bar to deadlift.

BigChrisF
01-08-12, 3:21 am
best single ply DL suit? anyone?

You could do that. They aren't really designed for squatting and sitting back like you need to, but it would work. I would be more likely to recommend trying to deadlift in your squat suit if you only want to buy one. If you want only one suit, I would recommend the Inzer Hardcore since it doesn't really have a groove and will give you the versatility you are looking for. For deadlift suits I have liked Metal the best. I like the King pro conventional deadlifter since it grabs on the legs and doesn't bind in the crotch as much. However I think the Metal pro deadlifter was a more durable suit. I just had to wear a cup with it because it wanted to squash my nuts pretty bad.

I really like the Metal deadlift suits for single-ply conventional deadlifting. If your fed allows velcro straps, those are a good addition.

weaver
01-08-12, 12:29 pm
I really like the Metal deadlift suits for single-ply conventional deadlifting. If your fed allows velcro straps, those are a good addition. just ordered the titan velocity.....it'll be here Wednesday. i dont know, something was def off trying to pull in the squat suit. dont get me wrong it's tight as shit, so much so that when i have the straps up i cant even bend over. and like i said, i dont really have much practice pulling sumo. i got 500lbs have way up but couldnt lock it. i'm hoping i can break this new suit in and pull over 500 in the meet at the end of march. i have pulled 470 in the gym conventional.

Lunchead
01-11-12, 5:59 pm
thanks for the advice BigChrisF, I think i would get a hardcore, another question... what are your views on using wraps to deadlift?

BigChrisF
01-12-12, 5:06 am
I don't particularly care for wearing knee wraps when deadlifting, but I have before when working through a minor injury. I don't like how the bar catches on the material and you don't really bend your knees enough to get any rebound out of the wraps. If you do use them, be sure to wrap your knees from the top down so that the edges of the wrap are going up your knee and won't catch as much on the bar.

I like the grip support I get from wearing wrist wraps. I usually wear some 24 inch wraps at competition. I don't in training because I want to work my grip as much as possible and just use the wraps as a bonus when competition rolls around. Similarly, I don't usually squat with knee wraps in training until I'm getting close to a meet.

When wrapping your wrist, you want to wrap the area below the hand. Make a tight fist when wrapping and you will see the tendons sticking out. That is what you are going to support. Don't wrap over the lower part of your hand like you would when using wrist wraps for bench.

weaver
01-14-12, 2:10 pm
so i just finished my first session with my new titan velocity.....i cant even touch down to grab the bar! i made it but i felt like i was going to pass out. weight barley budged and that was with 405...and ive hit 465 raw. wtf? how do i break this thing in? what am i doing wrong?

BigChrisF
01-15-12, 2:28 am
so i just finished my first session with my new titan velocity.....i cant even touch down to grab the bar! i made it but i felt like i was going to pass out. weight barley budged and that was with 405...and ive hit 465 raw. wtf? how do i break this thing in? what am i doing wrong?
Since you are not used to it, it is likely that you are letting the suit push you out of position and have a poorly leveraged starting point. Most people on their first time out will pull less than they do raw. To work in the suit, you can actually squat in it a few times, until you feel it loosen up enough for you to get a good starting position.

weaver
01-15-12, 8:37 am
Since you are not used to it, it is likely that you are letting the suit push you out of position and have a poorly leveraged starting point. Most people on their first time out will pull less than they do raw. To work in the suit, you can actually squat in it a few times, until you feel it loosen up enough for you to get a good starting position.

thanks bro i appreciate the help.

weaver
01-18-12, 9:57 am
Titan f6 bench shirt size 46 only used twice, still not broken in.
Titan Velocity deadlift suit, conventional stance, size 44. only used once.
$240 for both. will pay shipping, if interested contact me at jimlovesbabyjesus@hotmail.com

Lunchead
01-19-12, 8:56 pm
I decided against a deadlift suit, but I was wondering if an inzer erector shirt would give me anything on squats and particularly deads... I'm 163lbs and 30lbs from a raw triple bw dead and working towards a 500 goal after that... any advice on erector shirts?

BigChrisF
01-20-12, 2:01 am
Erector shirts are like blast bench shirts with the sleeves more angled to the back. It is really tight and helps hold your shoulders back. Despite the generous description on from Inzer, they are only useful if you have trouble with your upper back rounding over during the lift. Largely, people consider them worhtless.

BigChrisF
06-29-12, 1:34 am
Recently with the wraps sale that EFS had, I decided to pick some up because I didn't really have any longer wraps. I picked up their Krait wraps, Basilisk wraps and heavy knee sleeves. I haven't squatted with the wraps yet, but I did try them on because of curiosity.

Krait - When wrapping these, they reminded me a lot of APT's Convicts in cast like feel. To the best of my understanding, they are the same weight as the Super Heavy wraps, but with a higher rubber content so you get more stretch/rebound at the expense of casting. Very strong wraps none the less.

Basilisk - These have redefined my idea for ridiculous for knee wraps. These only come in 3 meters and you will need every inch because it was near impossible to stretch the fuckers. They are very tough, thick and uncomfortable to have on, despite not getting a lot of stretch. I was surprised at the rebound just doing a body weight squat. With a mechanical wrap roller for a tight roll and having someone else do it before you get on the platform, I imagine that the carryover from these would be monstrous. The only thing more ridiculous than these wraps is that some feds consider them raw lifting.

EFS Heavy knee sleeve - These are about what I expected. I got the 4xl and they were stretchy and I was able to easily pull them up. They have a little support and rebound, but barely. I was able to sit comfortably in between sets without pulling them down. My knees stayed warm and definitely felt less creaky and cracky on my warm up sets. For the price, they are definitely a good addition. I have no idea if these particular sleeves are raw legal in feds that allow sleeves but not wraps.

ctgblue
07-06-12, 10:03 am
We have a few items from APT, in addition to these, I've got two sets of elbow sleeves, a set of knee sleeves, 2 sets of the new 'grip straps', a couple of sets of black mamba wrist wraps, etc..

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/ctgblue/myAPTgear1.jpg

ctgblue
07-06-12, 10:13 am
We have a few items from APT, in addition to these, I've got two sets of elbow sleeves, a set of knee sleeves, 2 sets of the new 'grip straps', a couple of sets of black mamba wrist wraps, etc..

I used the white straps, triple layer, and the belt to get an 855 rack dead from the kneecaps.
Those heavy padded straps make a huge difference. regular straps at 600-700lbs would leave me looking like a prisioner of war from all of the broken blood vessels in the wrists.

BigChrisF
07-06-12, 7:00 pm
I used the white straps, triple layer, and the belt to get an 855 rack dead from the kneecaps.
Those heavy padded straps make a huge difference. regular straps at 600-700lbs would leave me looking like a prisioner of war from all of the broken blood vessels in the wrists.

I would imagine so. Back in the day I used to do barbell shrugs with upwards of a 1000 lbs and the fabric pattern would remain on my wrists for several hours afterward.

Mattman33
07-07-12, 8:13 pm
When wrapping your wrist, you want to wrap the area below the hand. Make a tight fist when wrapping and you will see the tendons sticking out. That is what you are going to support. Don't wrap over the lower part of your hand like you would when using wrist wraps for bench.

Thanks for that advice. I never knew the difference and always wondered why some wrap wrists like that on deadlifts. As always I always seem to find what I am looking for on these forums....someplace!

Universal Rep
01-07-13, 2:03 pm
Heard Corporate is prototypin the new heavier duty "pro" lifting strap. Perhaps we should Alpha Test this?

Hollow
01-07-13, 2:13 pm
Heard Corporate is prototypin the new heavier duty "pro" lifting strap. Perhaps we should Alpha Test this?

I'm thinking so...

Razor
01-07-13, 2:14 pm

I'm in for sure.

Freakshowelite
01-10-13, 9:25 pm

breaking in gear is all about reps reps reps. You need to do multiple sets of 3. If you can hit 465 raw, then start as low as 225 and do sets of 3. A little trick to help grab the bar is use one hand and grab the middle of the bar. Once you have a hold of the bar, use that to pull yourself down. Grab on to your grip position with your other hand, then adjust your other hand. Use your grip on the middle of the bar to pull yourself down. The pressure you are feeling is normal, especially if you pull conv. Its just something you are goin to have to get used to, but good news you will, we all did. Remember reps reps reps, thats how you learn gear

Bruiser
01-11-13, 7:08 am
I'm looking at ordering either the Ram or Slingshot next month. What have you guys used and what do you prefer and why?

Freakshowelite
01-11-13, 11:16 am
I'm looking at ordering either the Ram or Slingshot next month. What have you guys used and what do you prefer and why?

the design and the material of the slinshot are much more user friendly. benching in the ram just feels akward, and the material is too stiff, it doesnt conform to the shape of your arm. Slingshot!

BryanSmash!
01-12-13, 12:15 pm

Neither. You train at home and bench out of a rack so get some long bands instead and do reverse band presses. Long bands have many more applications, but a slingshot/ram has only one. Make your purchases count!

PITBULL
01-12-13, 2:03 pm

Definitly in for testing it out!!!

TigerAce01
01-12-13, 3:06 pm
This might sound like a very stupid question, but please give your input to help me out...

I just got a new belt about a month ago. EliteFTS single prong econo belt...I've lifted with it 3 times...squat, bench, and dead. I was surprised as to just how thick and stiff it was. My problem stems from training without a belt for over a year now. It seems I've forgotten how to lift with one.

Benching with the belt was excellent...that was my first session. I had no problems and was able to press my abs tight into the belt. Next was my pull. It went alright, but was a little stiff and affected my start until I got used to it. I chocked it up to not being broken in. Next came my squat...this was where I ran into some big issues. I squat with a medium stance just outside shoulder width. I squat very deep, just above Oly depth (my power squat has more forward lean than my Oly squat). Every single time I descended, the belt would completely tear up my sides just above my hip. The pain got so bad, I just took the belt off and said screw it.

Now, I wear the belt with the center on my naval. This is where I've always worn it.

Could this be an issue of breaking it in, or does my technique need to change? I'd love to start wearing the belt and getting some carryover...

-Ace

BigChrisF
01-12-13, 4:03 pm
This might sound like a very stupid question, but please give your input to help me out...

I just got a new belt about a month ago. EliteFTS single prong econo belt...I've lifted with it 3 times...squat, bench, and dead. I was surprised as to just how thick and stiff it was. My problem stems from training without a belt for over a year now. It seems I've forgotten how to lift with one.

Benching with the belt was excellent...that was my first session. I had no problems and was able to press my abs tight into the belt. Next was my pull. It went alright, but was a little stiff and affected my start until I got used to it. I chocked it up to not being broken in. Next came my squat...this was where I ran into some big issues. I squat with a medium stance just outside shoulder width. I squat very deep, just above Oly depth (my power squat has more forward lean than my Oly squat). Every single time I descended, the belt would completely tear up my sides just above my hip. The pain got so bad, I just took the belt off and said screw it.

Now, I wear the belt with the center on my naval. This is where I've always worn it.

Could this be an issue of breaking it in, or does my technique need to change? I'd love to start wearing the belt and getting some carryover...

-Ace

Breaking the belt in will help. A lot of the problem stems from their Econo belt (as well as a lot of other belts in the industry) has flat edges. My crain lever belt has the same boxed edges and it will dig in a bit, but it's better after break in. I have a premium Cardillo power belt and it has rounded edges and it never dug in, even when brand new.

I would work with the belt a bit to make it more flexible so that it will form to your shape better. Beyond that I would take a 5 or 10 lb plate or a hammer and work on the edges a bit to give them a more rounded feel.

Ragin Asian
01-12-13, 5:14 pm

-Ace

Have you tried wearing the belt slightly higher than the naval for the squat and pull? It helps to keep it from digging into the hips and also provides more support in your posterior chain. It may feel awkward at first and takes some getting used to, but you may find it more helpful. I used to wear my belt low on my naval like for my benching, but had issues with it during squats and pulls. My husband Powerswitch also recently started wearing his belt a little higher for his squats and pulls. We have both found it more helpful and supportive. We find it easier to push our abs into the belt in that position which helps us to stay tighter during the lifts.

TigerAce01
01-13-13, 5:08 pm
I squatted and pulled today, so I wanted to let everyone know how it went...

I basically warmed up to 135 and stayed there for a while to work with my belt. I tried it high, medium, and low placement, and as the sets progressed and the belt warmed up, it became more pliable and thus became more formed with my body. By playing around and doing singles with 135 to feel the comfort level, I found a sweet spot...basically, I placed the back of the belt on the small of my back, then angled the front to where the top of the buckle was just below my naval. By doing this, it limited the amount of flesh between the crease of my hip and the belt, while still supporting the arch. Mission accomplished.

On pulls, I had to move around a little more, and the belt is still not fully broken in...but I found at least a half way comfortable position. Although it was not too comfortable, I felt a great impact on my lifts. My technique stayed rock solid, even on my final sets. So, at least there's something to look forward to.

Thanks for the input!

-Ace

Freakshowelite
01-14-13, 12:38 pm

-Ace

your body just isnt used to it yet. any time i start wearing knne or wrist wraps again, or a belt, after a month of not wearing them it fuckin kills, i feel like such a sally. the wraps hurt my skin or the belt pinches, but after multiple training sessions it goes away. kinda like when you let a callous go away, the holding any amount of weight kills your hands. just keep pluggin away and youll be fine