PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Deadlifting help

Captain
02-23-10, 8:43 pm
Ok i love the conventional deadlift a lot but when i start getting really heavy my form with just disappear and i pull completely with my back, i can do 275 for a solid 6-8 reps with good form but i threw on 315 and pulled that for 3 painful reps, any tips are greatly appreciated

prowrestler
02-23-10, 9:56 pm
what is the problem...

you need to be more specific or provide a video

Jonisocool
02-23-10, 10:01 pm
Then work up to it til you can do 315 with good form.

You can still do

PORTERHOUSE
02-23-10, 10:07 pm
When you CAN'T hold your form that means you aren't strong enough to lift at that weight. if your back bends, its too heavy. Don't fuck with dead lifts man, Work your way up.

A common phrase from here applies:

"check your ego at the door"

rlopez4550
02-23-10, 11:01 pm
Seriously... Deadlifts are a great exercise but one i would never do without solid form. Dont just try to kill yourself everytime you deadlift and start lighter then you have to and work your way up very gradually

Legacy
02-23-10, 11:14 pm
Ok i love the conventional deadlift a lot but when i start getting really heavy my form with just disappear and i pull completely with my back, i can do 275 for a solid 6-8 reps with good form but i threw on 315 and pulled that for 3 painful reps, any tips are greatly appreciated

Same as what prowrestler said, noting can answer this question without a video showing how you deadlift. Post 2 vids, one with 135 lbs and another with 315. Theres a number of mistakes you can be doing, but only a video will show

MrMonday
02-23-10, 11:26 pm
If you think you are able to lift LESS weight with "proper" form, then you never knew what proper form was in the first place.

Learn to deadlift. This is the tip that made the biggest impact to my deadlifting:

Lean back before pulling the weight, and think "hips FORWARD, shoulders BACK" during the entire lift. Don't let yourself do a back extension, and if your body does that naturally once the weight is heavy it's because you haven't felt the real power of hip extension.

violator
02-24-10, 2:27 am
If you think you are able to lift LESS weight with "proper" form, then you never knew what proper form was in the first place.

Learn to deadlift. This is the tip that made the biggest impact to my deadlifting:

Lean back before pulling the weight, and think "hips FORWARD, shoulders BACK" during the entire lift. Don't let yourself do a back extension, and if your body does that naturally once the weight is heavy it's because you haven't felt the real power of hip extension.

x2...if i may add to that, remember to push with ur heels, as if u wanted to go thru the floor...also, check out some vids on the deadlift form on youtube, great resource...

mark
02-24-10, 4:39 am
Show me someone who deadlifts big weights conventional with a perfectly straight back... Bob Peoples, Andy Bolton, Kostinov, Ano, Greg Hussey, etc all round their UPPER backs. As long as you're lower back is straight and tight, and you're back doesn't look like that of a scared cat, you're fine.

Also, think of the deadlift more as a hip hinge than a "squat holding the bar". Start with your hips high, but lower than your head.

NaturalTrainee
02-24-10, 7:57 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-O_MT72rck

Learn this. Bad form= injury

Captain
02-24-10, 7:58 am
alright thanks guys, i know good form, but what you said about the hip drive might be true, and if can i will post a vid of my form, but until then i will stick to weights i can handle, also is there any benefits or drawbacks of doing deads sumo style? I know how to do both properly i just like conv. better, what muscles are used in the sumo vs conventional?