PDA

View Full Version : Prep for Basic Military Training

MikeMcM
02-24-10, 10:59 am
Hey guys I have a question for anyone with an answer.

I will be leaving for BMT in a little over a month, and of course at Basic i will not be in the gym 6 days a week like I am now. Instead I will be getting my ass pounded with tons of running, push ups, sit ups, and pull ups. I am pretty good at all of the above but i want to be literally insane before i leave.

So my question is this does anyone have a good workout routine for greatly increasing reps of sit ups, pull ups, and push ups?

I would appreciate any routines or any suggestions. I just want to make sure I am not doing too much without enough down time between. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

C.Coronato
02-24-10, 11:27 am
Look up Crossfit training. That is 100% what you need.

http://www.crossfit.com/

You need high reps lots of shit to make you breathe heavy and sweat your ass off.

PIJW
02-24-10, 11:40 am
Hey guys I have a question for anyone with an answer.

I will be leaving for BMT in a little over a month, and of course at Basic i will not be in the gym 6 days a week like I am now. Instead I will be getting my ass pounded with tons of running, push ups, sit ups, and pull ups. I am pretty good at all of the above but i want to be literally insane before i leave.

So my question is this does anyone have a good workout routine for greatly increasing reps of sit ups, pull ups, and push ups?

I would appreciate any routines or any suggestions. I just want to make sure I am not doing too much without enough down time between. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

When i was a Marine to help my pullups i did pyramid pullups, and a ton of assisted pullups. For sit (aka crunches) you need to find out what they count for an actual situp, we only counted as long as the forearm hit the thighs so most of my crunches were only half a crunch cause i have large thighes, push ups i would recommend doing them when ever as well as try some weighted one, not to mention chest workouts in general. And last but not least your run, we had to do 3 miles, not sure what yours will be maybe 1.5 but intervals, long distance running, and just getting outside and kicking the pavements ass.

Good Luck in Boot Camp

Semper Fi

MikeMcM
02-24-10, 11:48 am
Thanks guys i really appreciate it, ill be sure to check out that site!

Thanks for the tips aswell

PIJW
02-24-10, 11:50 am
Thanks guys i really appreciate it, ill be sure to check out that site!

Thanks for the tips aswell

Not a problem i wish i would have had some tips other than go run when i enlisted. Good Luck.

MikeMcM
02-24-10, 1:11 pm
Ya "run a lot" was more or less the only advice i got! I took it upon myself to look up the fitness levels and what you have to do to achieve them, so i have been busting myself to reach my goals, i want to be able to do everything required plus some before i even leave.

PIJW
02-24-10, 1:13 pm
Sounds good keep up the good work and if you need anything training there are tons of guys on here for more advise.

ironshaolin
02-24-10, 2:00 pm
I know the standard fitness test is 2 mins pushups, 2 mins situps, and either a 1.5 or 2 mile run. I would do that workout 3xper week.

One good option for pullups is to work ladders. You basically do 1 rep, rest a few seconds, 2 reps, rest, 3 reps, rest, 4 reps, when you get to your "sticking point" thats the end of your ladder. Go back to 1, repeat for 3 total ladders. After a week or 2 of that, do 4 ladders. Then do 5. When you can do 5 ladders of say, 5 reps, go back to 3 ladders and work up to 6 reps. Etc....

another great workout to do is from crossfit, I would reccomend maybe once a week. Basically: 1 mile run, 100 pullups, 200 pushups, 300 squats, 1 mile run all for time. You can do the excersises straight through, not moving to pushups until you've done 100, or you can break it up and do sets of 10 pullups, 20 pushups, 30 squats until you reach the requirement. Eventually, try to do the whole thing with a weighted vest.

BryanSmash!
02-24-10, 3:01 pm
For a specific program go here:
http://www.military.com/fitness-center/military-fitness/stew-smith/archive

Stew Smith really knows his shit.

CommoDick
02-24-10, 3:01 pm
I'm in the army, and I can tell you the standards are pretty straightfoward.
I can't remember all the scores for each age catagory, I believe for your age in order to achiece 60%(which is what you need to pass) you must do 45 pushups in 2 mins, 50 situps in 2 mins, and run 2 miles in 15:54, but that's to achieve minimum, but if you google FM 21-20 you will find all the regulations and scores required for each age bracket. It goes from 0-100% on a 300 point scale, but if you score at least 100 points in each event and then some, you can go into the extended scale. Good luck and give em' hell

I_am_Matt
02-24-10, 6:35 pm
Im in the Navy, and the standards are different for every branch i believe. We have the pRT coming up in a month so Ive noticed more people in the gym. Honestly I would start doing push-ups and sit-ups whenever possible. I know before I went to basic, even when I was watching TV I would bang out push-ups and sit-ups during commercial breaks. The run is most commonly the hardest part, so if you don't run much I would start. Sprinting helps me Ive noticed, but I also do the 1.5 miles every week to keep up the time. And even if your scores are decent when you first get there, they will definitely improve while you're there. I know I dropped 50 pounds in basic, but college made me a fatass the one year I was there, haha.

MikeMcM
02-24-10, 6:57 pm
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! all is much appreciated!

The standards for the fitness level I want to achieve is 1.5 miles in 8:55, 2 miles in 13:30, 70 situps in one min, 65 pushups in one min, then ten pull ups. All with a minute break inbetween. right now im at about 60-65 situps in a min (completly full out) 55-60 pushups in a min (also full out) and i can do the 10 pull ups no prob.

I just wanna be able to blow them all out of the water before I go.

Thanks guys!

PIJW
02-24-10, 6:59 pm
Thats the way to do, keep up the solid work and you will kick boot camps ass.

Semper Fi

GUNS
02-25-10, 3:59 am
Do not train to failure on your push ups, sit ups and pull ups. You are just teaching yourself to fail at a certain number. Sounds weird but its true. For pull ups, if you can do say 10 to failure, do sets of 5. Do them throughout the day too. Pushups do the same, do sets of 30 -40 if you can do 80 in a shot. Make sure you are close to lock-out and down to 90 degree elbows. Situps, make sure your shoulder blades hit the floor and bring you feet as close to your butt as possible, go up and touch your elbows to the thigh. Do sets with these as well. All these exercises in numerous sets will do you the best. Crunches I would spread out over a couple times a week and pushups and pull ups can be done more throughout the week. Drop body weight. You need to have a good power to weight ratio for pull ups and push ups. As far as running, run a little farther than your testing for. If its a mile and a half, train to 2 miles. run 3 or 4 times a week. You can even throw some speed work in. If you have access to a 400 meter track, sprint 100, walk 100 for a mile. or 200 run 200 walk.

Which service and what job are you going. Good luck.

MikeMcM
02-25-10, 1:25 pm
Thanks guns! so say i can do 60 push ups, do sets of say 40? then what about when i get to the point where i cannot get 40 any more? should i stop or keep going but instead try for 30 or 20?

and same for situps i can go 90 now so like sets of 50-60?

And I am going Air force special Forces, TACP (Tactical Air Control Party) And my goal is to make the other guys look like clowns so hence the killing myself at the gym daily. haha

GUNS
02-25-10, 10:00 pm
Mike, I know the program well. You need to checkout specialtactics.com. They have a huge section in the Documents, Publications, Workouts, and Videos section in the menu on the left. You will find exactly what you need in there.

If you can do 3 or 4 sets a day at a certain rep. Move up. You most likely will not hit failure if you do sets throughout the day. Just do one set at a time, 3 or 4 times a day if you can.

Sgt Rock
02-25-10, 10:09 pm
When i was a Marine to help my pullups i did pyramid pullups, and a ton of assisted pullups. For sit (aka crunches) you need to find out what they count for an actual situp, we only counted as long as the forearm hit the thighs so most of my crunches were only half a crunch cause i have large thighes, push ups i would recommend doing them when ever as well as try some weighted one, not to mention chest workouts in general. And last but not least your run, we had to do 3 miles, not sure what yours will be maybe 1.5 but intervals, long distance running, and just getting outside and kicking the pavements ass.

Good Luck in Boot Camp

Semper Fi

Pretty much what the leather neck said. RUN, RUN then RUN some more, distance not sprints, not a treadmill, but get out and RUN. Chin ups, 10 sets minimum, max reps, 3 days per week, with situps 4 days a week exactly how you will do them in boot camp, so make sure you find out what the perfect score is, hit it before you go and you will have no issues. AT least its not Parris Island, May through August like someone I know!!

Semper Fi

valdivia
02-26-10, 10:03 am
hey bud i have been in the army for a while!! now bmq and sq is simple shut dont talk AND do as they say be fast and leave your pride at home !!!! remember u WANA BE BETTER THEN THE OTHERE GUYs not going to fly in the forces YOU ARE AS FAsT AS THE SLOWEST PERSON in the platoon! its good to shin in the platoon but at the same time its not trust me i was one of the soldiers that shined wanted to be better then everyone else faster bigger stronger !!! !!

you will find that you end up caring your hole platoon or section on your back !!!!army is about working together and being a pak just like here we all work together to achieve one gaol witch is becoming the best we can.

now what the matercpl say or the srg or who ever take it in its done and said for a reason the advice they give you sometimes helps ALOT
and about the training like someone already said cross-fit bro its all about cross fit and your gona love the meals they give you !!!
and these is all coming to you from a combat engineer
CHIMO!!!

ldskenpo
02-26-10, 12:52 pm
i was a Drill Sergeant in infantry at Ft Benning, dont worry about maxing the scale, there is no extended scale in the army if that is where you are going ( it was phased out 4 yrs ago). run distances of between 2-4 miles 3x week, as far as pushups do 40-30-20-10, situps 50-40-30-20-10.

for army standards as far as the apft, google fm 21-20. ch 14 covers apft administration.
whichever branch you are entering, remember " play the game", do what you are told, be willing to learn, help your buddy, and there will most assuredly be one of the cadre who will tork you out on any pt event- that is what they do, they like it. my event was the pushup- i would keep going til every one hits muscle failure.

GOOD LUCK

GUNS
02-26-10, 9:22 pm
He's going Air Force guys, he will have good food.

They are right about standing out. You want to be a team player and not all about yourself. You will find that out soon enough. You are there for your team. You can shine by getting your studying done, doing your best on the individual events, and leading the team.

MikeMcM
02-28-10, 5:22 pm
Thanks for all the help guys, and in reply to the guy who was the Army Drill instructor, There are still individual fitness levels in AF BMT the one i am shooting for is 1.5 miles in 8:55 2 miles in 13:30 then 70 situps in a min and then 65 pushups in a min and then 10 pull ups.

I really appreciate the tips and the suggestions, and i was checking out the cross fit exercises, and some of em are pretty intense, does anyone know if the kipper pull ups are alright to do at basic, because if so i can blow out a ton of them.