PDA

View Full Version : SEMINAR: G Diesel & Wrath's "Train Like An Animal"

G Diesel
03-02-10, 10:55 am
Sunday, 3/7/10, 1pm

Wrath and I will talk shop on all aspects of the bodybuilding lifestyle from training, diet and advanced supplementation to philosophy and motivation.

Always a good time shooting the shit with the fellas.

Peace, G

Birdman
03-02-10, 12:23 pm
im lookin forward to this one G

dannynb
03-02-10, 12:46 pm
Def looking forward to this one.

Razor
03-02-10, 12:51 pm
These seminars are off the hook. So pumped.

The Guardian
03-02-10, 6:22 pm
always interested in hearing what G and Wrath gotta say, hell its better than gold.

mritter3
03-02-10, 10:00 pm
should be a great seminar...2 people with a ton of knowledge on the subject.

G Diesel
03-04-10, 10:44 pm
Gonna be a blast rapping with my boys about the weights, the grind and life.

See you there on Sunday.

Peace, G

Razor
03-08-10, 7:16 am
G this was a helluva speech bro. While putting things into perspective you once again motivated everyone that was there. Thanks bro.

mritter3
03-08-10, 8:20 am
Hey G...def. lit some fire under my ass after hearing your seminar....your def. one hell of a motivator...thanks for everything this weekend.

mjsef88
03-08-10, 9:17 am
G, I'm working on getting the dialogue cleaned up and spell checked from Sunday's seminar. I got into work this morning and have a fat stack of catchup work to do. Look for a PM either later this afternoon or sometime tomorrow.

G Diesel
03-08-10, 9:38 am
G this was a helluva speech bro. While putting things into perspective you once again motivated everyone that was there. Thanks bro.

Glad you were there bro... Thanks for taking part.

Hey G...def. lit some fire under my ass after hearing your seminar....your def. one hell of a motivator...thanks for everything this weekend.

Thank you so much my brother... It is tough staying mentally sharp enough to be articulate by Sunday afternoon, so I'm glad I was still able to strike a chord.

G, I'm working on getting the dialogue cleaned up and spell checked from Sunday's seminar. I got into work this morning and have a fat stack of catchup work to do. Look for a PM either later this afternoon or sometime tomorrow.

Going above and beyond my brother... Appreciate the hard work. I hope any of it is worth the transcription. Haha.

Peace, G

NaturalTrainee
03-08-10, 11:04 am
Really excited to hear this out! Expecting excellency from both animals!

G Diesel
03-08-10, 12:28 pm
Really excited to hear this out! Expecting excellency from both animals!

I was solo this year as Wrath couldn't attend, so I turned it into something of a round table and got some of the other fellas involved.

Peace, G

Razor
03-08-10, 12:36 pm
i definitely look forward to the next roundtable G. It was a cool idea that definitely worked out!

joe-yamma
03-08-10, 12:45 pm
great seminar. G spoke the truth.
i saw a lot of young bucks outside The Cage listening too.
hopefully a few came away with the message.

Mr. Dead
03-08-10, 12:46 pm
Truly am upset that I missed this...

felipelpr
03-08-10, 8:03 pm
I live in Brazil, so my only hope is video.
That's why I'm always asking for some video!

G Diesel
03-09-10, 1:53 pm
i definitely look forward to the next roundtable G. It was a cool idea that definitely worked out!

Was just looking to spice it up a little--talk my shit and get some other good insight.

great seminar. G spoke the truth.
i saw a lot of young bucks outside The Cage listening too.
hopefully a few came away with the message.

Appreciate that, my brother. Just trying to take the truth to the youth.

Truly am upset that I missed this...

Next year, deadman. No doubt.

I live in Brazil, so my only hope is video.
That's why I'm always asking for some video!

I think it is archived on the ustream webcam link.

Peace, G

C.Coronato
03-09-10, 1:55 pm
Glad to be a part of this G. Thanks for taking your time and spreading the knowledge as always my man.

mjsef88
03-09-10, 1:59 pm
G, can you PM me your e-mail or something. I have the dialogue all set on my end. I tried PMing it to you but your box was full.

CagedStorm
03-09-10, 8:29 pm
Hey G, sorry to say this but I missed this and was just wondering if this was a new idea new for this year or an updated you and wrath did at the last few Arnolds.

The Freak
03-10-10, 2:56 am
good times g diesel.. i really liked the roundtable... u get to hear others storiies and journeys.. def a good segement.. u speak from the heart big man .. all can def see that and feel it too...

D

Liftbig21
03-10-10, 5:09 pm
was Wrath there?

Mr. Dead
03-10-10, 5:11 pm
I was solo this year as Wrath couldn't attend, so I turned it into something of a round table and got some of the other fellas involved.

Peace, G

was Wrath there?

Liftbig21... See above...

Mr. Dead
03-10-10, 5:11 pm
Truly wish I could have caught this...

mjsef88
03-10-10, 5:23 pm
Truly wish I could have caught this...

A transcript/dialogue is in the works.

I was there with my laptop trying to type as fast as I could. I'm just waiting on G and JDawg to give it a once over and proof -read for me.

Mr. Dead
03-11-10, 1:14 pm

I was there with my laptop trying to type as fast as I could. I'm just waiting on G and JDawg to give it a once over and proof -read for me.

Awesome!!! Going above and beyond the call... Great stuff!!!

G Diesel
03-12-10, 5:11 pm

Great job on the transcription bro. Hopefully this covers some of the essence of the seminar for those that missed it. Big ups to mjsef88 for the time and effort dedicated to pulling this off...

Peace, G

G Diesel Seminar: "Train Like an Animal"

also featuring a "Roundtable" of Enforcer, Big Byrd, treetrunklegs, The Freak, Big Al and Rage

On training styles in general:

G: Powerbuilding is not that different from what a lot of guys do. Be as strong as you look and look as strong as you are. That is the simple goal. Emphasizing Strength and as much as you do the look. Machine said, “Strength begets size and size begets strength.” That’s really fucking true. Powerbuilding is about building around the core lifts and using diverse rep ranges.

Training around injuries becomes difficult, but there’s always a way around it. You can train around current injuries without exacerbating any further problems if you’re smart. If you’re planning on having a future and some staying power in this sport, you have to learn how to train around injuries. You’re going to get banged up from time to time. Preventative measures are important--chiropractors, massage therapy, stretching, etc. If you can afford it—do it.

If you plan on being around in your late 30s-40s and well beyond you have to learn how to take care of yourself. Involving tools like the above are a way to last in the sport a little longer. I want to be doing this shit when I’m 70 and I’ve already been training hard for 13 years. You do the math.

What do you eat? If I’m stuck at a weight, what can I do? Drinking shakes and eating tuna doesn’t always put on the size you want it to. You have to eat like an athlete that is the size you want to be. You have to force feed to a certain extent. One of the myths is that everybody eats perfect all the time. Hang out with Big Al for a weekend and you’ll find that out. Tuna and rice 6 times a day isn’t the way you get as big as him. You have to learn to push your body past a certain point. You’re going to have to eat. Once you raise your baseline bodyweight it becomes easier to maintain it once you’ve held that size for a while. If you hold a weight for a year it’s easier to maintain that. But you have to eat over what you’re maintaining. The more and more you stay in an area, the less the effort it takes. For the guys who are looking to build a base of muscle, you have to learn to eat enough to get to that point

On Supplements:

I’m a drug free athlete, so I have to make up the difference in whatever is available legally. Being drug free isn't a cop out or excuse. You have to use the tools you have. Aminos initiate recovery, BCAAs and EAAs--anything to promote further protein synthesis and nitrogen retention. Simple carbs around your workout are critical. Training on a keto diet is great when you’re a massive dude like Ox to use it to get shredded. A 16 year old kid would be crazy to be cutting carbs. There’s no way anybody just getting into that game should be thinking about low carb dieting unless they’re already overweight. If you have a built up your base and you’re looking to get into contest shape, then you should look into it.
What are the guys that are better than me doing? What can I do to get better? I look at the guys around me and get motivated. I’m fired up when I get home from The Cage. What do I have to do to be better next year? That’s my goal every year—steady improvement, slow and consistent progress.

Supplements on a daily basis:

Animal Omega, Pak, aminos, creatine, protein powder, and that’s basically it. In this industry “Everything is the next great thing”. Bullshit. It’s nonsense. The basics that worked in Arnold’s era still work now. But companies like Animal and Universal have fine tuned them… And made them taste better.

G: Rage what do you use when you’re putting on size?

Rage: Pak, Flex year round. Off season: RealGains, because it’s a clean gainer and low in sugar. Also, Ultra Iso Whey. I’ve got to put in more calories than I can reasonably eat. EAA Stack, because I like that watermelon. They are a few key staples. And now PM.

Enforcer: On a daily basis? Pak, Flex, Nitro, Omega. When I was younger I was a chronic over-doser. 1 pack RDA was taken for 3 or 4. I keep it simple and rely on food, not necessarily supps. I feel better eating whole food. I’d rather eat my food than drink it. I feel fuller, stronger and harder. 6-7 meals a day plus a shake PWO. I have Torent with Nitro PWO. And PM before bed.

G: The thing everybody is emphasizing… Are these recovery tools. You’re only as good as you can recover. It’s just not physiologically possible to come back over and over from the beating you take in the gym. The tools available are proteins, aminos, PM and other basic supplements.

treetrunklegs: To gain 49 lbs as a natural, competitive athlete. It’s hard to eat that much so I use Real Gains with whole milk, bananas, pb and oats. How do you eat so much? You just gotta do it. Everybody has to do it. You need to stuff yourself. To put on the weight it’s a sacrifice you need to make. As far as supps, I go with Pak, Joint-V by SportPharma, Nitro, Torrent, Shock Therapy, Uni-Liver, Real Gains. Just keep it basic, lift heavy and eat.

G: You learn from others to figure out what you need to take your game up a level. You need to push your body and figure out what you need to do to go further. Your goals have to be what YOU need them to be. I’m not going to be Ox or Ronnie Coleman. And that’s alright. Maybe I’ll go at my goals just as hard as a Mr.O competitor, but I’ll do it on my terms. We’re all completely different, and it’s OK. It’s about taking what YOU have and wringing the life out of it.

Freak: When I was growing up and I was just getting started in the sport I met Jay Cutler. I’ve known Mr. O for almost 18 years. I walk one path, he walks a different path. I’m 5’ 2”. My parents kept me out of a lot of sports for fear of safety. Going to the gym it doesn’t matter how tall you are. There are guys bigger and smaller with different goals. You just have to walk your own path. I got to see the entire sport all over the world, and I got to do it my way and had the best time of my life. Do I look at the next man’s path as a bad way? No. I want to walk my path the best I can the same way every day. It all comes down to what you want. As long as you can go home and say I gave it my best.

G: It’s all about following your own path. One of the things I love most about the lifestyle is that making progress in the gym takes consistency and discipline and that translates over into your outside life. If you take the same approach, going after it every day, doing the little shit, following through, all of those aspects that help you find success in the gym, will help with life in general. School, family, all of life. Big Byrd is the prime example. He’s in law school, squatted world records, is a hell of a bodybuilder and is a former Marine. He’s the perfect guy to talk about balancing physique and strength with having a real life.

Byrd: I’d classify my training along the same lines as G. Be as big and as strong as you can, and look like you can do it. It’s easy to get carried away in weight classes, I decided to stay in the same weight class, gaining and cutting weight, trying to stay in the same general area as a powerlifter while getting stronger but it makes you crazy. You have to be obsessed.

All I ever wanted to do was be a huge and then reality set in. A quote that hit home for me was “Follow your dreams, but don’t let your life become one”. I dropped out of school trying to compete, lost a few relationships and I sacrificed a lot. It just wasn’t worth it. You have to find a balance between what you love to do and what you need to do. You just have to put things in perspective. It’s an expensive lifestyle, you gotta have some good money to put food in your mouth. If you don’t keep in school, you’re not going to get a job, and won’t be able to even afford to eat to get big, let alone supps, gym memberships and everything else. It’s all about finding a balance. You have to come to that realization on your own. I had to cut down on my training and thought I’d wither away, it’s just simply not the case. All of the pros here at Animal have a level head. They’ve got a lot going on behind the scenes, and they do a great job of finding that balance. The harder you work on your outside hobbies, the more the discipline and dedication you put in… It pays off both ways.

G: Sam brings up some good points. 1.) Finding a balance and priorities, as balls out as Animal is, it’s OK to care about your health. Balancing nutrition like veggies and fruits are important. Byrd only tries to “eat within the perimeter of the supermarket”. That’s genius. Dairy, veggies, fruits, meats are the less refined natural food choices and they’re healthier. Ox makes it a priority to put the right foods in his body, not only cuz it is his job, but it is his life. General overall health should alwaysbe the goal. Being the most jacked up motherfucker in the world when your 30 doesn’t mean shit when you’re bed ridden when your 40. There are guys like Vinny G and BigAnt that are a testament to longevity in this sport. Those are the guys I want to be like. The dude who owns my gym, Greg Long, he’s 62 and trains balls to the wall every day. I want to be like that.

2.) Just to summarize, I don’t find it too egotistical to think of myself as a role model. The way you carry yourself in the world, the way you carry yourself in general. When you're training in a gym and walking around out in the world, you have to think of yourself as a role model. Most people think bodybuilders are egotistical pricks, you have to be an ambassador for the sport and prove them wrong. Be polite and kind and humble. You’ll find yourself living a better life and going down a better path that will translate to success both in life and in the gym.

Mr. Dead
03-12-10, 5:17 pm
Great stuff there!!! Awesome job, mjsef88!!!

Phil800101
03-12-10, 8:21 pm
Great seminar, as always! And big props to mjsef88 for the transcript, nice work bro!

Razor
03-12-10, 9:51 pm
Great seminar, as always! And big props to mjsef88 for the transcript, nice work bro!

Yep the roundtable definitely has my vote for being on the schedule next year.

mjsef88
03-13-10, 11:03 am
Yep the roundtable definitely has my vote for being on the schedule next year.

definitely second'd.

Razor
03-13-10, 11:34 am
definitely second'd.

I remember when you were sitting down starting to type and i was like "uhhhhh Matt go faster must go faster" hahaha

Bootleg
03-16-10, 12:47 pm
Next years arnold for sure im going.

NaturalTrainee
03-16-10, 1:28 pm
Excellent points presented in the seminar.

Big Byrd
03-16-10, 2:25 pm
wow my ramble seems coherent after alot of careful editing haha.

Razor
03-16-10, 2:25 pm

hahahaha what ramble bro? It was good stuff!

Big Byrd
03-16-10, 2:47 pm
hahahaha what ramble bro? It was good stuff!

possibly, maybe it was just me that wasnt very coherent all weekend. haha

G Diesel
03-16-10, 2:48 pm
possibly, maybe it was just me that wasnt very coherent all weekend. haha

I was brain dead by Sunday too man. Your incoherent ramblings were way more profound than mine. Haha.

Peace, G

Razor
03-16-10, 2:49 pm
I was brain dead by Sunday too man. Your incoherent ramblings were way more profound than mine. Haha.

Peace, G

hahaha!

mjsef88
03-16-10, 2:57 pm

more than you know! hahaha. No, actually not much was edited on your guys' end. It was mostly cleaning up my own shorthand.