PDA

View Full Version : Gatorade

doomsdaylover
02-22-07, 1:42 am
What are everyone's thoughts on Gatorade, obviously the most popular and well-known sports drink out there. I keep hearing how great it is to replenish lost electrolytes and I know plenty of gym rats who drink it, but the ingredients list makes me jumpy. High Fructose Corn Syrup? Really? Give me some feedback.

hjayss
02-22-07, 2:13 am
Good for after a solid workout. I pretty mush stay with the sugar free stuff as much as possible.

rev8ball
02-22-07, 3:17 am
Convienent for during/post workout glycogen replenishment when doing an extended anaerobic training session.

karmazon
02-22-07, 4:51 am
High Fructose Corn Syrup? Really?

If you're cutting, you can forget anything that contains HFCS. However, on a bulk, gatorade would be perfectly acceptable post-workout.

Jeff
02-22-07, 5:21 am
I've been using it in my post workout drink whey/creatine/glutamine but I don't drink it any other time.

CitadelArmyJAG
02-22-07, 12:45 pm
I dont take anything with HFCS... it really does through your system out of whack. I prefer Amino Vital from Ajinomoto to almost any other product on the market.

Mr.Totality
02-22-07, 1:03 pm
not a fan. too much sugar for me. I will stick with whey as a post and pre drink

JMC
02-22-07, 3:26 pm
not a fan. too much sugar for me. I will stick with whey as a post and pre drink

WORD! Also as with anything, take a look at how many servings are in one bottle....too much sugar for me!!!

chococat19
04-05-10, 5:03 pm
Considering I am poor college student, I dont have the resources or the time to eat good carbs or plenty of fruit as much as I want to. I have the protein intake covered and I eat as healthy as possible but I cant get enough carbs. I was wondering if drinking a few cups of Gatorade (which is incredibly cheap at the gas station close by) would be alright for carbs or should I strive to eat more fruit? I lift 4 days a week with very high intensity and sleep ample time.
Basically, will large amount of Gatorade (which has 14g of carbs per cup) be alright or is it too much sugar? Just looking for some feedback from you guys.

Cstlfx
04-05-10, 5:06 pm
Are you talking powdered gatorade or pre-made liquid gatorade?

Beowulf
04-05-10, 5:09 pm
Considering I am poor college student, I dont have the resources or the time to eat good carbs or plenty of fruit as much as I want to. I have the protein intake covered and I eat as healthy as possible but I cant get enough carbs. I was wondering if drinking a few cups of Gatorade (which is incredibly cheap at the gas station close by) would be alright for carbs or should I strive to eat more fruit? I lift 4 days a week with very high intensity and sleep ample time.
Basically, will large amount of Gatorade (which has 14g of carbs per cup) be alright or is it too much sugar? Just looking for some feedback from you guys.

You mean all throughout the day or just in controlled doses? Postworkout or during the workout, you should be fine. Maybe sprinkle in some protein? In general though, fruit and whole foods are superior to performance drinks.

I'm assuming you're not on a meal plan?

fenix237
04-05-10, 5:13 pm
chococat- you got me a bit confused- you're saying you can't afford to eat carbs? carbs are the easiest and cheapest macro to eat. oats, rice, potatoes, bananas, apples, WG bread are very affordable. i can't see how gatorade is cheaper than these, let alone nutritional value

drinking lots of gatorade is a terrible way to make up for lost calories in your diet IMO

chococat19
04-05-10, 5:18 pm
I am talking pre-made Gatorade liquid. And I was assuming to take large doses when I wake up, preworkout, and postworkout. And no, I am not on a meal plan (way too expensive). The money I have goes to a good protein powder, Animal Pak, Pump, and Flex. So is it alright to spread out my recommended 350 grams of carbs between those three meals mainly using Gatorade? Im just wondering if the sugar would be too high.

chococat19
04-05-10, 5:21 pm
chococat- you got me a bit confused- you're saying you can't afford to eat carbs? carbs are the easiest and cheapest macro to eat. oats, rice, potatoes, bananas, apples, WG bread are very affordable. i can't see how gatorade is cheaper than these, let alone nutritional value

drinking lots of gatorade is a terrible way to make up for lost calories in your diet IMO

Well thats where the time factor comes into play. Due to classes, jobs, scholarship work, and working out, im free about 2 hours a day besides sleep. And everything is back to back so its hard to eat many carbs in the 2 minutes I have between things (also considering most professors wont let students eat in class)

Cstlfx
04-05-10, 5:22 pm
I am talking pre-made Gatorade liquid. And I was assuming to take large doses when I wake up, preworkout, and postworkout. And no, I am not on a meal plan (way too expensive). The money I have goes to a good protein powder, Animal Pak, Pump, and Flex. So is it alright to spread out my recommended 350 grams of carbs between those three meals mainly using Gatorade? Im just wondering if the sugar would be too high.

Gatorade is good for pre/intra/post workout. However, the pre-made is loaded with HFCS which isn't the best for large amount of carbs. Do you have access to a stove or hot plate? White Rice is one of the best carbs to have throughout the day. Pasta is good too.

fenix237
04-05-10, 5:26 pm
chococat- your money for Flex/Pump/Pak is MUCH better spent buying quality food.

solid nutrition should be your #1 concern before supps

chococat19
04-05-10, 5:26 pm
Gatorade is good for pre/intra/post workout. However, the pre-made is loaded with HFCS which isn't the best for large amount of carbs. Do you have access to a stove or hot plate? White Rice is one of the best carbs to have throughout the day. Pasta is good too.

I was worried about the HFCS and just checked the package: it contains maltodextrin and sucrose. apparently consumer demand has won out. And no, I do not have a stove. I live in shitty frat house and have a handed down microwave.

Cstlfx
04-05-10, 5:31 pm
I was worried about the HFCS and just checked the package: it contains maltodextrin and sucrose. apparently consumer demand has won out. And no, I do not have a stove. I live in shitty frat house and have a handed down microwave.

Microwaves can still be used to microwave pasta, potatoes, instant rice, etc. Try to buy big tubs of Quaker instant oatmeal (it should be no more than $2.00 a tub) for breakfast, some potatoes, and instant rice for the rest of the day. It sucks, but your body will feel a lot better.

If it has malto and sucrose, its better than what used to be. So I'd use that all around your workout.

I lived off that type of stuff in the dorms.

chococat19
04-05-10, 5:35 pm
Microwaves can still be used to microwave pasta, potatoes, instant rice, etc. Try to buy big tubs of Quaker instant oatmeal (it should be no more than $2.00 a tub) for breakfast, some potatoes, and instant rice for the rest of the day. It sucks, but your body will feel a lot better.

If it has malto and sucrose, its better than what used to be. So I'd use that all around your workout.

I lived off that type of stuff in the dorms.

Thanx, I will check the prices for oatmeal. Hopefully I can shove that down on my way to class.

Legacy
04-05-10, 10:00 pm
Well thats where the time factor comes into play. Due to classes, jobs, scholarship work, and working out, im free about 2 hours a day besides sleep. And everything is back to back so its hard to eat many carbs in the 2 minutes I have between things (also considering most professors wont let students eat in class)

Go to walmart, spend 20 bucks on a rice cooker and buy a 10 lb bag of rice for 6 bucks at Sams club. Cook your rice in the am and carry it all day in tupperware. Thats gonna be a good option in college, i did it when i was in college, saved me time and money

Sphinx
04-05-10, 10:33 pm
chococat- your money for Flex/Pump/Pak is MUCH better spent buying quality food.

I'll have to second this, supplements don't do much unless your diet is straight. When I started training seriously, I thought I'd go for supplements first, I saw no effect. It wasn't until I got my diet set up properly that I could attribute some of my gains to supplements.

MassMonster
04-06-10, 2:12 am
I agree with the dropping of the Supps ..... Spend it on Pak and forget the rest unless you got achy joints then save up and buy flex once in a while but other than that drop um that should alleviate at least 50-70 bucks off your plate depending on where you get ya stuff

I've stated this before and ill state it a thousand times Supps arent the fuel but only the nos to feed the tank real food is always key....

imo if you want carbs and thats really all you are looking for (on that note you better be eating meats and not depending on powders solely for proteins as well) get yourself a bag of sweet potatoes and oats .... you can micro the sweet potatoe for 8 min while you get ready whenever that is and much on it on the go .... I do it all the time when i rush to work and school so i feel ya on the time issure,,,, Also take advantage of the recipes we got on the site for quick micro effcient meals ,,,, make sum animal cookies to mix things up with the oats ... also if your not looking for strict specifics on your diet keep on hand cinnamin and brown sugar easy way to mix up flavors from the mundane .... those 2 are all you really need unless you wanna add sum rice in there but I can think of at least 10 diff meals you can make with the 1st 2 i suggested.....

also you said a diet/meal plan is too expensive which isnt tru .... a diet is as cheap as you want it to be ... it's merely a set up of your daily intake,,,.... make it as clean or as shitty as you want but kno what your doing to kno where and how to make maintenance and repairs to your routine

PORTERHOUSE
04-06-10, 7:39 am

Absolutely. Go buy some oats man. You cant tell me you can buy pak/pump/ flex and whey but can't cough up 3 dollars for some oats.

Absolutely again. If your diet sucks supplements aren't going to do didley shit for you, so now your pissing money away that could have been used for a solid diet.

chococat19
04-06-10, 5:06 pm
Thanx for all the advice guys, I will look over what money I spend and prepare a better diet and drop some supps if I need to.

Joseph V
04-06-10, 5:24 pm
good food is king..good supplements are queen

thats how i pyramid my way of doing things the right way

msktyshha
04-06-10, 10:41 pm
dude "supplements" are supplements, what are you trying to supplement if you don't have a meal plan?? First get a meal plan than worry about supplements. Don't waste your money on supplements, put your money in quality food first and then if you have something to spare, then spare it to supplements.

Devil
09-17-10, 7:08 pm
I always have a 16oz Gatorade after training, all the water I drink and no other liquids it's a nice change of pace plus I do a very low rest, high intensity, cardio heavy workout. Not only am I lookin' for strength but I'm lookin' to be lean and quick as well. So I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Gatorade and whether or not you consider it good or bad for the body. If this has already been posted my bad.

Howitzer
09-17-10, 7:59 pm
If you're doing heavy workouts, I don't see a problem. Electrolytes are good for you, especially if you're drinking a ton of water. The sugar in it should not be a problem either. You're clearly not over doing it. Everything in moderation.

Howitzer

Zieben
09-17-10, 8:28 pm
If you really must drink Gatorade, then do so - but it's best to stay as far away from refined sugars as possible. The electrolyte factor is a good bonus, but you can also find those in Smart Water as well. If it's just the taste you're turning to for a change of pace, look for another alternative, like Crystal Light or something along those lines. Sugar-free is always best, but those tend to have aspartame and other artificial sweeteners in them which negative the health benefits right off the bat. If you're going to drink a drink that has sugar in it, look for one made with pure cane sugar, or something that is not refined, like the Bolthouse or Naked drinks (I'm not 100% on these, I don't drink them so best to do some research to be sure.)

Hope this helps.

PORTERHOUSE
09-17-10, 8:47 pm
If you really must drink Gatorade, then do so - but it's best to stay as far away from refined sugars as possible.

Unless of course its post work out, which it is.

I wouldn't consider gatorade a great post work out tool on its own, but getting some simple sugars immediately after training from gatorade is better than nothing.

Im a torrent/water/nitro man myself, but I know people who use gatorade instead of water to mix post work out treats in.

Zieben
09-17-10, 9:02 pm
Unless of course its post work out, which it is.

I wouldn't consider gatorade a great post work out tool on its own, but getting some simple sugars immediately after training from gatorade is better than nothing.

Im a torrent/water/nitro man myself, but I know people who use gatorade instead of water to mix post work out treats in.

Ah, I overlooked the "after training part". My eyes darted right to the "So I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Gatorade and whether or not you consider it good or bad for the body." portion.

I use Torrent myself. Thanks for that correction Porterhouse.

kryptiq
09-18-10, 1:01 am
I buy a tub of gatorade powder each semester that matches and/or mixes with and post workout drinks I have. I'd say just don't make an absurd amount and you're fine.

charlievanriper
09-18-10, 2:48 am
I always have a 16oz Gatorade after training, all the water I drink and no other liquids it's a nice change of pace plus I do a very low rest, high intensity, cardio heavy workout. Not only am I lookin' for strength but I'm lookin' to be lean and quick as well. So I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Gatorade and whether or not you consider it good or bad for the body. If this has already been posted my bad.

Pre made Gastorade drinks all have HFCS in them, the cans of Powder are dextrose amd Maltodextrin

TigerAce01
09-18-10, 2:49 am
Pre made Gastorade drinks all have HFCS in them, the cans of Powder are dextrose amd Maltodextrin

Gatorade took out the HFCS!!! So Pumped!!!

-Ace

Cstlfx
09-18-10, 2:52 am
Actually guys, Gatorade has made the switch back to Sucrose and Dextrose in their pre-made drinks now.

Ingredients (in my fruit punch at least): Water, Sucrose, Dextrose, natural flavor, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, modified food starch, red 40, glycerol ester of rosin, and caramel color.

However, buying the bulk powders is still MUCH cheaper, unless you're able to snag an awesome deal on the premades.

charlievanriper
09-18-10, 2:56 am
No shit, I'll have to start checking bottles. Ya know I heard that but every time I check at these dam Convieniece stores they all say HFCS still. Well I'll check again since I like using Gatorade Intra

Well off to bed to see if I can get to sleep yet dammit

Cstlfx
09-18-10, 2:59 am
I still think they're in the phasing out process. People will still be carrying the HFCS ones until they can get rid of their stock. From what I remember it only happened recently.

Brick By Brick
09-18-10, 9:11 am
I have a big bag of lemon lime Gatorade powder, used after training, and/or during all day strongman/highland games comps. Premade Gatorade is too sweet for me. Just my .02, not very original, I know...
I loved Powerade, powdered version. Can't find it anywhere these days.

ShaqFu
09-18-10, 12:54 pm
If you want electrolytes drink Pedialyte or something like that I don't think the few electrolytes you get from gatorade are worth the shit that goes with it

Devil
09-19-10, 10:52 pm
How'd this go from Gatorade to cookin' rice?

Howitzer
09-20-10, 12:16 am
One of our younger brothers said that he was getting the majority of his carbs from Gatorade (which will destroy your freaking pancreas). One of our older brothers suggested buying a rice cooker and precooking rice for his carb needs throughout the day. Sounds good to me.

Cstlfx
09-20-10, 1:46 am
How'd this go from Gatorade to cookin' rice?

A few different threads were merged into one.