PDA

View Full Version : Beginnings: My Story

jandirigma
03-06-10, 6:36 pm
I was born on March 1993. I was pretty small but I seemed to be normal. But good things turned to worse when I turned two months old. All of a sudden, my mom noticed that out of nowhere, I would just bleed from every hole of my body while she was holding me in her arms. I just kept becoming more and more ill until my condition became life-threatening. I was taken to a doctor to see what the problem was. The doctors had no idea what was wrong so they had to open me up. It turned out that I was born with a very rare problem only a few children in the world ever face. I was born with a twisted intestine and it was already becoming gangrenous. To make things worse I had numerous other sicknesses at the same time including amoebiasis, high fever, and of course my bleeding problem. At only two months old I was struggling to live in the ICU unit with barely a chance to live another day. I had to live on virtually nothing but dextrose for several days since I was in such critical condition. I was too weak to eat or even cry to call my mom for help. Miraculously though, my life was spared as doctors cut off 30 cm of my gut. This painful experience literally left a mark on me. I’ve got a huge scar across my abdomen from the operation to remind me that I came one step closer to death and I made it back to life.

As a kid, I never even thought I could become fit. I was born weak, I joined many sports activities but never truly became healthier. I was prone to fever, diarrhea, and some other sicknesses. It’s as if I was the prototype for being a failure in fitness. I’ve been longing for a time where I could feel what it was like to be strong like those people you see on television, but to me it was just a dream. I thought fitness for me would never be possible.

But now, I’ve surpassed what I thought was possible. Working countless hours in the gym, chugging down all the right foods, researching for the truth about nutrition and training, and repeating the process has led me to the dream I never thought of reaching. For once in my life, I was fit. If you look at me now, it’s as though I’ve lived a perfectly healthy life. Now that I’m sixteen, life’s been much better and I’d thank the gym for some of the improvements physically and mentally. The gym has not only taught me to eat and train right, but it has disciplined me to take my duties seriously, and motivated me knowing that I have achieved what I never thought was possible. I am now faster, bigger, and stronger, and I’m just warming up. The fitness lifestyle is no longer just a dream to me, I’m living it 24/7. I even hope to study sports and exercise science abroad to one day let people know that anyone regardless of race, religion, or health condition is capable of living a fit lifestyle. After all, I’ve made it alive to live a healthy life after nearly facing death, so why can’t others. You’d never know that a kid like me who nearly died would make it past this age or even live to try a lift in the gym. Could a sickly, skinny kid who almost died years ago make it this far? Sounds impossible? It sure is possible! Ultimately, I thank God for helping my life turn out for the better. Though the gym helped me improve life, life would not even be possible without God.

jandirigma
03-06-10, 6:42 pm
Bodybuilding is war. Iron warriors may not engage in hand-to-hand combat, or in that sense, even fight with an adversary. But bodybuilding in a sense is combat. Not between men, but between one man and the iron. The iron, a passive enemy which without fighting back, resists the force of man and punishes him for trying to hoist the load. It is an opponent that lets the man crave even more punishment, leading o more pain. The war is also between man and himself. Day in and day out, the bodybuilder fins that he himself is his worst enemy. The inner demons he faces, the doubts within, the knowledge and strength he lacks but seeks to gain, the setbacks he faces physically and emotionally, they all seek to destroy him. He must then be knowledgeable of himself to face these adversaries. He must maintain control over himself at all times. The life of a bodybuilder is built on pain and dedication. Without a doubt, bodybuilders are iron warriors.

Like combat, bodybuilding is a sport where pain is without a doubt, always present. However the iron warrior does not have an opponent to inflict damage upon. Instead, he struggles to battle the iron he lifts, in order to inflict pain upon himself. The pain is not the sharp bone-to-bone or wrenching pain felt when being struck or grappled. The pain the iron warrior feels is a pain deep in his body, in his muscles and organs. The pain makes him feel as if his muscles are burning or about to just snap out of place. Under pressure it feels like something is just ready to burst in your skull as you move inhuman amounts of weight. Other times, he feels like throwing up or collapsing from the punishment he has inflicted upon himself. In some cases, the lifter struggles to keep the weight in control so that he’ll survive to finish another set, before the iron comes crashing down on his larynx or his back, turning him into another case at the hospital. Those in deep in the game know this risk when lifting inhuman loads on top of their bodies, but they do it anyway knowing that the risks they take make them stronger. After the brutal sets are finished, the warrior feels exhausted, out of breath, drained of power, and sore. But, he craves more punishment in order to carve out every inch of detail in his body. Like a fighter, he knows that the pain he is subjected to brings forth his victory in the future. He knows the pain will in turn make him stronger and bigger. Anything less than the pain he feels amounts to nothing.

Iron warfare also requires the utmost dedication and discipline. The warrior picks precisely what he must eat and drink and closely monitors the way he trains daily. He strives for precision in both his diet, rest, and training. Anything too much or too little could derail him from progressing. Because of this, he knows that the slightest error could mean a big difference in both size and strength. He also makes it a point to train hard. There are times he heads to the gym feeling like a total mess. Despite the pain he feels, he goes on to battle the iron head on, even if he knows he’s going to feel even more beaten after. Punishment upon himself is what makes him proud and it is what takes him one step closer to victory. He also constantly learns the ins and outs of his craft. The dedicated lifter takes his precious time to learn nutrition, training, and physiology. Doing so can be very dragging, but any true lifter knows that strength of the mind brings strength of the body. Without the proper knowledge on such broad topics, the iron warrior would be wandering aimlessly, not knowing what to do to further progress in his craft. In short, the iron warrior literally lives, eats, drinks, breathes, and learns the iron game everyday. He lives for this, its not a hobby, its a way of life in every sense of the word.

Lastly, true iron warriors are real men. While many posers out there sport huge physiques, a true iron warrior must also have a huge heart. He is willing to face pain in order to achieve victory. He is also unafraid to face failure, since he knows his limitations but knows that there is a way out from every setback and mistake. True warriors are dedicated and passionate about their trade and cannot let anyone or anything sway him from pursuing his dream. He does not give up after reaching "success", because in his mind, he will never be perfect. He knows the journey will never end, but it gets better and better everyday if he puts himself in the heat of battle. The true iron warrior also earns respect. He trains like an animal, protecting the legacy he plans to leave behind. He protects the imprint he seeks to leave on society by means of using his undeniable work ethic. Aside from earning respect, he is unafraid to show respect. He does not brag about how he is the biggest and meanest monster in the gym. He doesn’t criticize the weak who are hungry to reach the same goal that he himself is working for, since he knows that he was once that weakling. He only forged himself into the iron warrior that he is today through endless days of blood, sweat, and tears.

By no means is the life of an iron warrior easy. He lives through pain everyday, mind, body, and soul. The life he lives is a war, a struggle. The burdens he faces daily would make the ordinary man crumble. But this is the life he chose. This is what he was born to do. Why does he do it? It’s not for money or fame. These are nothing compared to the reason why he subjects himself to a punishing lifestyle. He simply does it because he loves it and lives it. To him, fame and money can never replace the pride and strength of mind, body,and soul that he has acquired through countless days of labor. He who lived the iron lifestyle has earned the right to be called an iron warrior.

jandirigma
03-06-10, 6:45 pm
Bodybuilding is perhaps the most misunderstood sport on the planet. You hear people say that every bodybuilder takes steroids and worships his own muscles every second. Sometimes you hear that bodybuilders are a bunch of arrogant freaks who think they’re the best in a world full of puny people. Or perhaps, our sport has the reputation of having these dumb muscular posers who think they know squat about nutrition. People sometimes say that bodybuilders are disfigured. Just look at those gym “veterans” who have torsos and arms the size of boulders but have the legs of a grade school girl. I hate to break it to you, but yeah, this is actually quite true. I know our sport is much better than the reputation it has, but nonetheless, the reputation of bodybuilding is destroying the sport.

The only solution to clean the smudges on our sport’s reputation is to smarten up ourselves and be good ambassadors of the iron game. We need to clean our acts up so that others may see how awesome our sport really is.

Firstly, we must be intelligent in all aspects of our game from the way we train to our nutrition. In training, we must know how the human body works so that we can do our workouts properly and get better results. It’s great training for mass, but symmetry must be achieved. Like I said, too many guys have blockbuster upper bodies and matchstick legs. Don’t get stuck with isolation moves and working on just weights. Do functional training and your cardio. This way you’ll be able to train your mobility and endurance even if you begin bulking up. We must also stay sharp in our knowledge of proper nutrition. It is not right to be complacent and ignorant when it comes to what our bodies need. We cannot allow anyone to think that our sport is just about a bunch of huge guys lifting weights without any real knowledge of what they are doing. As true muscleheads, we’ve got to do our homework. Never think that you know everything about nutrition, that’s because nutrition is such a broad topic that is ever changing and we’ve got to search for facts every time. I’d like to say that bodybuilding is more than just a physical thing, it’s also something mental. If you do not have adequate knowledge, you can’t get very far. Instead, you’ll become a mediocre and uneducated lifter.

It seems to me that people think that bodybuilders are a bunch of arrogant masochists. I hate to think about it, since we have a lot of good men and women in our sport. However, I’m sad to say that it is true somehow. Sometimes, too many lifters end up acting like rockstars. They push others around or pick on the weak. Sometimes they just seem to have attitude problems, acting like their the kings of the planet. Or worse, some seem to crave too much public attention, trying to see if anyone will notice them. It’s fine to be confident, but pride will hurt your reputation and our sport. The world is already full of annoying people, why let bodybuilders be a part of them?

Lastly, we must be disciplined not just in the gym but in all aspects of our life and in conduct. Being in the gym ain’t the only life we have, so this gives us no excuse to slack off on our other tasks. If you have the discipline to punish yourself, you might as well have the discipline to do your duties.

While our sport has a lot of great aspects that heavily outweigh the bad, the bad reputation of bodybuilding must be corrected. I’d like to see a day when people will look upon the iron game as an intelligent, scientific, and legitimate sport. I’d like people to believe that bodybuilders are not dumb and proud freaks, but a breed of noble and dedicated athletes who are also knowledgeable when it comes to their craft. This can only happen if our other brothers and sisters in iron will properly represent the game through gaining knowledge and watching their conduct. As for those who are loyal and good representatives of this great sport, I salute you. Bodybuilding cannot thrive if its bad reputation stays. It’s about time we save our sport.

jandirigma
03-06-10, 6:47 pm
“Just do it”, that poplar slogan keeps ringing in my head the time I feel like giving up. For us who have trained seriously or even lived (duh), I’m sure we’ve come to experience these bone-breaking moments when you feel like you’d rather go home and take the easy way out, may it be in the gym or life. Every man needs to come to a decision whether he’ll be a slave to consequence, or whether he’ll carve his path for the better. I say, make the move, pave your road and get to where you dream to be. After all, without action, we will go nowhere.

Too many times have I made the mistake of empty wishing, without taking immediate action. I would often take to take action whether it be thinking whether to bust out a training session and get results or wishing I had done better in school or trying to improve my character. Often times I dreamed I could be so much better physically and mentally or more decent in character. However, I made the mistake of stalling the actions I had to take to be better and make a change. Up to now, I have yet to fulfill my motives. I could have gotten closer to these goals if I had acted earlier.

Empty wishing is only fuel to our action, but it is useless if that wish is not acted out but kept in the mind. So much failure can only be remedied if we make the move. It will often take blood and guts to get moving and make things turn out for the better at work, school, home, or the gym. Wherever we are, whatever trials lie ahead, make the move and do it now.

jandirigma
03-06-10, 6:52 pm
Excuse me if I may have rewritten my entries here from my other blog posts such as those from bodybuilding.com. The reason I do this is because I know I have something important to say, despite being fresh face in the game. I also hope to share what I've been through with others who could use the help. Like all of you here, I know I've got something to say, I will not hold it back if I see that it can be beneficial. Let's all juice our brains out here and share what we've got to say. All of us has a story, say it out. Peace brothers.

C.Coronato
03-08-10, 1:15 pm
Awesome write up my man. Keep doing what your doing brother.

Bootleg
03-10-10, 3:17 pm
Good post!

jandirigma
03-10-10, 10:17 pm
In the last three days I had a retreat with my friends. On the first day, before heading to the resort , I bought a protein shake, milk, and carb and amino supplement to take along when train during free time. I took along my door gym and hand grips along the way for some fun.

Upon reaching the resort, during the break, I began making my shake, setting my door gym, and eventually started a workout using the either the little gym or my body weight. It was a good workout. I bombed my chest with various push-up angles and performed close-width push-ups, some dips on the bathtub and kickbacks using my gym for my triceps. I also worked my shoulders, calves and glutes after awhile within one hour. I made my post workout shake and headed off for the real purpose of my coming to this retreat; to make up for lost time.

I wasn’t just there to train, I needed to take the time to really talk to my brothers and sisters after the fourteen or fifteen years I had not fully utilized to get to know them even better and enjoy their company. I regret the times I spent kept to myself or almost always refusing to go out and bond with them so that I could hone my skill in the weight room and the ring. Of course I had contact with them and I still talked to them, but sometimes I really wished that I could have spent more quality time with them. Fortunately, I had these three days to say things that I should have told my friends before and listen to the things they had to say. I finally had some really personal quality time with them, sometimes talking about serious issues like, "what problems are you struggling with?" or the smallest things like "are you scared of roaches?" and much more. I may have lost so much sleep trying to make up for fourteen or fifteen years in a span of three short days, but every hour of sleep lost was worth it. For a lifter, good sleep is necessary, but I had to sacrifice that for people whom I love. Since we’ll be going our separate ways after years of being together. It seemed reasonable to me to sacrifice my physical growth to spend time to show them that I do care about them, that I want to know them more, and that I will without a doubt miss them when I leave for another country. Somehow it seems that time flew so quickly. One day we were children, now we’re grown up and ready to go. It hurt me to say my goodbyes to them and even more to hear their goodbyes to the rest of us. The days may have flew by so quickly, but these last three days have really been worth while. I felt redeemed of not being able to communicate with friends as often as I should have and I made up for lost time. Time with the iron is precious, but moments like these with those I love are priceless. Heck, this all sounds friggin' touchy, but seriously, times like these matter.

Though we must sacrifice things in life for excellence with the iron, people matter. As dedicated lifters, we spend hour after hour at work, sometimes neglecting life’s good little things. The gym is home, but people are your family. Though we do inhuman things in the weight room, we are still human. We cannot spend our lives alone. Value those you consider family. Do not make the mistake of taking anyone for granted. As you look back, you’ll find that nothing replaces those you call family. Do not wait to enjoy moments with them until the time when you have to say goodbye to them. You’ll be sorry when it happens too late.

jandirigma
03-10-10, 10:32 pm
Tomorrow, I'll be on a retreat with my batch mates, most of whom I've known since I was a little kid. On that day, we'll say our goodbyes. I can almost guarantee that for the first time in years, I'll cry a river. I hate to cry, but I've known these guys for so long and I may never see them again. I may never see them again since we'll be campuses, cities, and in my case, countries apart, since I'll be leaving for New Zealand to pursue a bachelors degree in sport and exercise science, away from friends, family, and country. There will be nobody for me to lean on but myself. If I get messed up, chances are that I'll always be the one finding a way out. Yet, I must remain strong.

I may have to say goodbye to all whom I love, but I cannot say goodbye to training. My destiny and passion for the game comes at this price. Big dreams do require big sacrifices.

jandirigma
03-10-10, 10:46 pm
Diet scams, nutrition misinformation, miracle pills, and some “full-body”, “fat-burning” , so-called fitness contraptions. You can go on and on on a list full of scams. Scams trying to sell false hope and lies to a generation foolish enough to fall for everything quick and easy, scams trying to sell-out the real deal balls-to-the-wall fitness, the only way to fitness. I am also saddened by people who “train” for a few minutes and walk on the treadmill with some weird animated stance, go to aerobics class, crunch, and expect a beach body. They may be “dedicated” to some extent, but knowledgeable, intense, or wise… they are not! I have no remorse ranting on this issue, because everyone who doesn’t have the basic knowledge, common sense, or balls to take on the hard and true way to getting fit must simply know that there is no such thing as a miracle, an easy way out, or shortcuts! Fitness is like anything else in life, you’ve got to earn it the hard way. You want real results? Well, train hard and be smart about it.

Sometimes I wish the truth about fitness could be said straight-forwardly so we won’t have to swim in this murky pool of “knowledge” trying to weed out fact from fiction. I also wish that the common man can know more about what it really takes to be healthy. It saddens me to see people buy these “miracle” supplements, vibrating contraptions, ”fat-burning” liniments, and ab machines they think will get you ripped within a few minutes of use while expecting all these to burn fat or get themselves buff in a jiffy. Too bad the easy way never works. They don’t understand that to burn fat, you must metabolize fat. This means doing your cardio. I don’t mean taking a walk in the park, I mean feeling the intensity, using up your muscle’s stored ATP and glycogen in order for the body to use fat reserves for energy. You wanna get lean and get abs? Just doing crunches isn’t the solution. I am sick and tired how people say that it only takes crunches or an ab machine to get abs, or “oh I’m feeling the burn, I’m gonna get abs!”. Get me out of here! Crunches work, but like every fitness goal, there is no one solution! You can do compound (full-body/multi-joint) movements such as squats and deadlifts as a good addition to a good core routine. These not only improve stability of the core but may engage midsection muscles that may not be used to its full capabilities. If you’ve probably noticed, the midsection keeps you stable. When you lift, let’s say a full-body motion like a squat, many underlying muscles in the midsection are activated to keep you in proper form. That’s enough sense for you to know how simple additions in your routine can benefit you. You don’t always need a fancy core move to do the job, you’ve just got to know what you can do and be smart when you do it. Those vibrating things people buy simply rub and pound on your midsection, but they don’t tear tissue to shape your abs or even burn fat. I’d like to call these massage belts or whatever you wanna call it. It’s only use… rubbing. Burn fat? Is this a joke? That’s as stupid as telling me to rub, squeeze, and put hot compress on my friggin’ butt so I can get glutes 120% leaner than Rosey O’donnel’s! So what should you do to burn fat or reveal your six-pack? Here are a few tips. Do your cardio to get that flab off and help you improve endurance. You will be fat if you don’t metabolize fat. It’s alright to take fat-burners, but use them wisely and take them if you really do train. Don’t expect anything if you take fat-burners and take them with your potato chips while watching television, because it doesn’t work that way. Targeting just your abs won’t get the job done. You’ve got a whole body to play with, use it well and know that your abs also function with the rest of your body. Ever notice how stable you are when you lift? You can give some credit to your core muscles including the abs. Like I said, compound movements can help you get real functional abs to some extent. Get the right amount of carbs and protein into your system as well, since nutrition goes hand-in-hand with training.

Well, well, well. Nutrition seems to be a very tricky topic even veterans have to figure out, but it doesn’t take rocket science to know the essential facts on nutrition. Some people train like animals without a proper concept on the importance of nutrition and how much it can affect your goals if you just don’t eat and supplement correctly. Some people are “serious” about training, but snub off the fact that you are what you eat. Eat and supplement like a schmuck, you end up a schmuck or hopefully, half a schmuck. You can crunch your abs into submission but if you love eating your angel cakes and chugging a tasty can of coke too often, you become as mediocre as your diet. Along with this error in knowledge, there is a universe full of misinformation that must be cleared out. Some people are too discriminating towards carbs. They don’t understand that fast and slow-digesting carbs have different uses and functions. When you need energy quickly, such as upon waking up or completing a workout when glycogen stores are low, simple a.k.a fast-digesting carbs are essential. For times when you need a sustained release of energy without spiking blood-sugar levels, such as pre-workout or in the middle of the day, you need your complex a.k.a. slow-digesting carbs. People don’t understand that they get fat if they take carbs at the wrong time or take too much all the time. The reason is that when glycogen storage isn’t depleted and you continually feed yourself carbs (specially fast-digesting carbs), the body cannot convert the carbs into glycogen so it’s stored as fat. This is especially true when you keep gobbling carbs when you haven’t used your body’s glycogen stores, because you haven’t given your body a chance to metabolize its primary energy source (glycogen). So obviously, when you don’t need glycogen, carbs are converted to another energy source for later use; fat. There it is, plain and simple. As far as proteins are concerned, similar rules apply for different kinds of protein. Whey (fast-digesting) when your body needs proteins immediately for use, such as after training, egg or milk (medium digestion rate) virtually any time or can be used with whey for sustained protein release, and casein (slow-digesting) for long periods wherein protein supply must be absolutely consistent such as before bedtime where you have nothing to feed on while you sleep. Know what to take, when to take, and why to take certain foods and supplements. These are some basic facts that are important for anyone from the newbies to the pros who want to stay in shape.

More misinformation is still out there. One exercise method or one machine isn’t the way to complete fitness. You’ve gotta do cardio, weight-train, do plyometrics for function, agility, and endurance, or do yoga if needed to help you with breathing tempo and flexibility. Not one of these methods alone will get you all the results in the world. Another thing, cut the crap about the “evils” of lifting. Lifting can help strengthen connective tissue and increase bone density. Lifting also increases speed and strength if incorporated properly to certain sports. Lifting is not evil, doing it the wrong way is what’s dangerous. Messing up your form, overloading, or putting too little resistance are detrimental to progress. For the other methods, these should be a welcome addition to achieving complete conditioning. Different methods offer different benefits, usually because they focus on different aspects of conditioning for the body. Yoga focuses on breathing,muscle control, and flexibility. Cardio focuses on endurance and breathing. Lifting primarily focuses on strength development, physique shaping, and explosive movement. There are more methods to conditioning so why just pick one?

Fitness is not as simple as it should be. Of course there are more technical pieces of information, but why are the basics so misunderstood or hidden from the masses? Why are false hopes and scams sold to people when the hard truth may actually ease the disappointment people find with these false miracles? Knowledge and common sense should have been common, but media hype, wannabe gurus, and desperados for quick fixes make everything so complicated. It’s so complicated that years from now, the problem will probably remain. It’s really impossible to fix the fallacies surrounding fitness, but it’s possible to make things a bit clearer. How? That’s simple. Stay informed and search for the truth, the hard, unadulterated, and pure truth, and nothing but the truth.

jandirigma
03-10-10, 10:49 pm
It’s hard for people today to get a good grasp of proper nutrition. Many have the wrong idea on what to do in order to attain fitness. Many are quick to fall for scams without really finding about the product’s intent or nutritional value. With so many misconceptions about real fitness, there seem to be so many paths that lead to dead ends. Several other concepts that actually lead to fitness are sadly demonized while the scams are being glorified. Here are things that the masses must know regarding fitness.

1) You need carbs:

Too many times have carbs been demonized. Atkins-esque diets were rampant for a time. While these diets do help in weight loss, insanely limited carbs are inadequate to fuel the body. And another thing, eating carbs doesn’t make you fat, eating carbs in excess makes you fat since your body can only convert so much of it into glycogen, the excess is stored as fat. For those who keep complaining about still looking like the Goodyear blimp even if they limited their carb intake (for a while maybe), the problem may lie in their current diet or the fate of genetics. But a balanced diet can really make a lot of difference no matter what’s up with your genes. These people may be taking in too much fats from their protein sources or over-indulging on certain sinful goodies. The point is, diet and nutrition is not a one-sided thing. It’s not about just carbs and the weight you have to lose. Consider your protein consumption priceless, your intake of minerals, vitamins, and fatty acids an invaluable part of keeping yourself in condition. There are even more aspects to nutrition and it’s definitely not just carbs.

2) Know your supplements:

Upon heading to the supplement shop, I noticed a middle-aged, beer-bellied man gazing curiously at the pictures of shredded bodybuilders and the pile of protein powders by the window. He then comes in and asks the lady at the counter if there’s one supplement that can give him huge muscles and burn his fat. The lady then tells him that it takes different products to do those tasks. I’m not sure if she told him that he needs to exercise to see results. Too many times, people are searching for that one-shot miracle product to turn them into Ronnie Colemans. Too bad, no product exists and it simply isn’t physiologically possible for the human body to chisel itself from one source of nutrition. Many people splurge on muscle builders while at the same time disregard basic nutrition like a balanced diet with the right amounts of carbs and protein, the little stuff. Instead, they look for shortcuts waiting to transform themselves into beasts within months or craziest, days! They must understand that the human body takes time to develop. You can’t take a mega-dose of your good ol’ protein shake or whatever anabolic supplement your taking now and become a chiseled freak. Like I’ve said, there’s no single factor to fitness, it takes several elements of nutrition and exercise. Oh, and did I forget to mention the obvious? You gain muscles by actually working out! People take loads of protein shakes wondering why their muscles barely grew and instead they got fat. They can’t burn those calories if they don’t work, neither can they build muscle if they don’t lift. In short, use common sense when you use supplements, know their purpose and do your part, work out!

3) Do your homework:

Research, read, explore, this is what you must do to know the reason behind each product, movement you do with the weights, and ultimately, how your body works. True is the quote that knowledge is power, as this will become important in your quest for fitness. For example, you are less bound to fall for scams if you know the purpose and nature behind certain nutrients. Sometimes these companies hype up products that are pretty ordinary or even useless to fool the uneducated customer. I’ve read in the book “Fighting Fit” that there is a popular supplement company that created a really delicious and expensive protein shake. What made the product expensive wasn’t the ingredients but the “work load” or the people hired to work on the product. In fact the protein used was of very poor quality, it was just insanely delicious. In fact, the chemist at the lab developing the product said that the company doesn’t care about the protein but the flavor. He said that what matters to them is that it tastes like Haagen Dazs! What made the product so delicious was the fact that they loaded it with sugar! Now why would you load yourself with sweet, low-quality junk? Keep searching for information, it will help you a lot.

4) Weight-training is not evil:

The masses often have the wrong notion about lifting. They usually associate lifting with being too bulky, short, slow, and heavy. In fact, proper weight-training may help develop speed. In a test with runners, weight-training significantly increased their speed. Even in my sport, boxing, a Russian team came up with the idea of using gradually increasing weights in shadow boxing. The result was more hand speed and power, resulting in formidable olympic contenders. Some women think that lifting will make them look like men. In a book I read by Anita Bean, she mentioned that lifting helps accentuate a woman's body. They become toned but do not end up looking like men since men have ten times more testosterone than women. Unless you’ve been going heavy even in your growing years, weight-training does not stunt growth either. Have no fear of lifting as long as you lift smart.

5) There is no single solution:

Some people believe that there is a single method to complete fitness, may it be in the form of pilates, yoga, running, or weights. In an MTV segment, I believe they were telling the viewers that weights were evil and that body weight exercises were best. They explained that you might not need to go the gym because Heidi Klum still looks slim without lifting. I find this very ignorant. Like I’ve been saying, there is no single aspect in fitness. All aspects of fitness must work hand-in-hand to produce results in different areas such as strength, speed, and endurance. For example, you can lift to get mass, but you need cardio to shed those fats. The same way that pilates and yoga can give you flexibility, but intense activities like cycling and fighting build endurance. Use these methods together but do not expect just one method to offer you everything.

violator
03-11-10, 7:13 am
Yup, i think ull do well down there in New Zealand bro...nice write up for the masses.

jandirigma
03-11-10, 9:40 am
Yup, i think ull do well down there in New Zealand bro...nice write up for the masses.
Thanks brother. Whew, gotta get ready for take off next year!

C.Coronato
03-11-10, 11:26 am
Its all about balance my man. Its good to get back in touch with people who keep you grounded and support you. Nothing wrong there my man.

230plus
03-11-10, 12:43 pm
- Nicely said. Honestly, I do not understand how people can place anything above family or true friends. Hearing people say that they gave up loved ones or the woman that loved them for the gym boggles my mind. I understand that lifting and sculpting is definitely ONE of lifes priorities but to give up family for sleep or a meal. I can make it up or improvise. I think it is best said above...the key is balance. Not only for your body, but the mind as well.

Mathematics
03-12-10, 2:58 pm
Very informative post. I've done painstaking research trying to educate myself on weight training, diet, sleep etc. and this thread still offered me insight I haven't seen elsewhere. Thanks very much for sharing.

PORTERHOUSE
03-13-10, 12:02 am
I love the ckd diet... there is no single solution

jandirigma
03-31-10, 10:35 pm
Today I donated blood to my sick grandmother. She has been losing a lot of blood in the hospital for the past two days. I had to donate a whole packet of blood for her when it was already close to midnight. I would've wanted to get some shuteye after a day of hard training, but someone needed me. I spent a more than an hour in the hospital. They checked me up if I was a suitable donor at the emergency room and blood bank so I had to wait for a long time. Then they spent twenty minutes drawing blood from me. Usually it would only take the average person five minutes to fill up a packet of blood. However, my blood was so thick due to the high amount of red blood cells present that it took me more than twice the usual time to draw a full pack of blood. This meant that my blood was very rich in nutrients and red blood cells and was very healthy, that's why my blood was so dense that it couldn't just leek into the tube very quickly as it would with others. Upon knowing this, I felt that living a healthy lifestyle was worth it. Sometimes you train with seemingly no purpose beyond the physical benefits, but now I've realized that my training has made me fit enough to perhaps save a life. If I had not lived a healthy lifestyle my blood wouldn't have been that rich, giving my grandmother a better chance to live. Nourishing myself well has made me capable of nourishing others. Somehow, realizing this gave me a renewed sense of purpose.

Through this experience I remember my days as a two month old baby clinging to life in an intensive care unit due to a tangled intestine and numerous sicknesses. I was so weak that I couldn't even cry. In a matter of hours I would've been dead if immediate action was not taken. In fact, my dad had to give me his blood in order for me to survive. I thank God that He still gave me the chance to live and get past my physical weaknesses. I was once the sickly child who needed lifeblood, but now I am the one giving it. Remembering this moment makes me remember how far I have gone from being the weak to becoming the strong. Today, I am no longer weak one clinging for life, but I am now the strong giving life.

J-DOG
03-31-10, 11:02 pm
Awesome post bro it really shows that you have come full circle! There is nothing more grattifying in this world than creating a life or in your case a chance to save one!
Keep training hard, eating well and of course taking your Animal supps and you will be on the right track!

JD

Lonestar
04-01-10, 12:04 am
Wow bro. This is an amazing post. Real deep and inspiring. Peace brother.

jandirigma
04-01-10, 4:43 am
Wow bro. This is an amazing post. Real deep and inspiring. Peace brother.
Thanks bro, I appreciate it.

violator
04-01-10, 10:27 am
Blood in, blood out...in the name of family...props 2 u brother...

jandirigma
04-06-10, 3:33 am
Today started off as a pretty bad day. I still felt sick just like the other day. No motivation, no drive, just a sense of duty. Before I could do anything upon waking up, I questioned myself, "are you ready?", or "do you really wanna do this?". Another huge bummer for me was the thought that I let myself and God down this week by compromising my integrity by falling back to an old habit which I don't wish to mention (but it sure ain't drugs). I've been asking myself why I keep falling back to it and because of that, I felt that God would not hear my prayers because of my stubbornness. The only thing that made me go to the gym was the feeling that I must fulfill my duty by taking care of my body, by punishing it to make something better. I headed to the gym, thinking that if there's anything left of me in a terrible day, it would me my pride by putting myself in a world of hurt. I also didn't want to spend an unproductive and idle day at home. After all, an idle mind is the devil's playground, and I sure don't want my mind to be his playground after constantly stumbling into that old habit lately. So, I grudgingly ate my breakfast, chugged a shake, and headed off to the gym. All the feelings and let downs were on my shoulder. It's as if they added extra weight to the load I was already bearing that day in the gym.

Putting all my problems aside, I charged through the first half of leg day. After going through many consecutive sets, I began to feel sick again. I felt woozy, my stomach was churning, it was leg day but even my hands were trembling, I lost more motivation, I began to feel the load of guilt on my back for being such a sucker to that old habit of mine, and I wanted to barf all over the floor, but I had to get the job done. I sucked up what would've been a river of puke mixed with guilt and tried finishing legs. As I was going through all those sets, I was thinking of so many things to motivate myself. None really worked. I had no choice but to suck up my pride and guilt and I said almost out loud, "God give me strength". I called out to the One I felt I had let down in the first place because of my loss of integrity, hoping that I would hear his answer after a turbulent time. I finished leg day and went through shoulders. Almost instantly, I felt recharged and I even went through an ab session with hardly any rest in between. My call had been answered. Not only that, but my mind was clear. I had nothing on my mind, but to start the session hard and end hard. I felt so pumped up and I've never felt so alive in a long time. Beyond the physical, I've realized so much in those two hours in the gym. One, I am capable of more than I think I can do despite my weaknesses. I went from wasted to pumped almost instantly and did perhaps my hardest session ever in a really weakened state. I've also found motivation knowing that I can step up to challenges and finish them well. Through the gut-wrenching work, I also realized that if I can get through so much pain just like that, then I can overcome this old habit that is beginning to plague me once again. Most importantly though, I've realized that God still hears me despite my failure as a man. Come on, how could I suddenly get through the day feeling like a million bucks after being a total mess? Now, I don't now how many of you even believe that there's a God, but I do. He's given this day a whole lot of meaning for me in an otherwise mundane and sorrowful day. Today was pretty unusual. My eyes were opened in an ordinary activity; training. I never even imagined that I could realize so many things in a "small" daily activity such as training which is otherwise really just mundane. I've gone from a total mess to being totally motivated almost immediately. I've been on the verge of quitting due to pain and then suddenly finished hard. I've been stumbling into an old habit, but now I realized that I can overcome it. Overcome, yeah that's the word. And it happened in a span of two hours just like that!

mark!
04-06-10, 4:13 am
Bro this is awesome. There have been moments in my life where I have been down and in the dumps. I don't know what your addiction is, mine used to be porn. Thank God I don't have any substance issues. I cry out to God in my moments of temptation, and it really helps me through moments of pain. I've turned my back so many times of God that it's not even funny. I stop going to church, miss a few weeks then because I feel so bad I don't go ever. The thing to me is, regardless of how short I fall, or how many times I fall, I always rise up again, and God is always there to help me up, dust me off, pat me on the butt and send me on my way back out in to the world to give it another shot.

Until recently, I kept God out of my training. I didn't think it was important to include him. That is, until I started working out at Metroflex with Josh Bryant and Brian Dobson. That entire place is plastered with bible verses, pictures, everything. It's awesome to sit there, finish a big lift and the first thing you see is a spray painting of "Give God Glory for all of your lifts!" high on the wall. That's it. Overcoming our weaknesses to reach for new heights. Overcoming our weaknesses to achieve more, with God. Bro, we're all in this together, and he always hears you when you call.

jandirigma
04-06-10, 4:57 am
Bro this is awesome. There have been moments in my life where I have been down and in the dumps. I don't know what your addiction is, mine used to be porn. Thank God I don't have any substance issues. I cry out to God in my moments of temptation, and it really helps me through moments of pain. I've turned my back so many times of God that it's not even funny. I stop going to church, miss a few weeks then because I feel so bad I don't go ever. The thing to me is, regardless of how short I fall, or how many times I fall, I always rise up again, and God is always there to help me up, dust me off, pat me on the butt and send me on my way back out in to the world to give it another shot.

Until recently, I kept God out of my training. I didn't think it was important to include him. That is, until I started working out at Metroflex with Josh Bryant and Brian Dobson. That entire place is plastered with bible verses, pictures, everything. It's awesome to sit there, finish a big lift and the first thing you see is a spray painting of "Give God Glory for all of your lifts!" high on the wall. That's it. Overcoming our weaknesses to reach for new heights. Overcoming our weaknesses to achieve more, with God. Bro, we're all in this together, and he always hears you when you call.

Man, so true. I've got to admit, our addiction and the problems you just mentioned are almost exactly the things I've been going through. I've gone through a purity session with my batch mates and was given a purity ring by my parents before graduating in front of a congregation. After all the purity things and commitment making, that's when temptation hit me hard. I felt so guilty this week because it seems I took that for granted. I also felt guilty because I planned on giving that ring to my future wife. But now, I know God's gonna get me through.

mark!
04-06-10, 5:11 am
So many people wonder why things seem harder when they're closer to God. My personal take on it is the fact that I'm closer to God, and away from Satan, he's gotta work extra hard to get to me and get me back so things get that much harder. When I'm not walking with God daily, who cares? But when I get close, and I start doing the right things with my life, Satan really takes notice and tries to pry me away by pushing me down until I feel like I'm about to break. I've been down so many times, been to the point of actually breaking it seems but I always make it through those times. That, on top of many things, I've learned from the guys I work out it. I still fall so many times, I get depressed and upset with myself for doing something or thinking something I shouldn't have, beat myself up but what are we gonna do? We certainly can't just quit, ya know? We MUST push through, we HAVE to win this battle in life.

jandirigma
04-06-10, 5:36 am
So many people wonder why things seem harder when they're closer to God. My personal take on it is the fact that I'm closer to God, and away from Satan, he's gotta work extra hard to get to me and get me back so things get that much harder. When I'm not walking with God daily, who cares? But when I get close, and I start doing the right things with my life, Satan really takes notice and tries to pry me away by pushing me down until I feel like I'm about to break. I've been down so many times, been to the point of actually breaking it seems but I always make it through those times. That, on top of many things, I've learned from the guys I work out it. I still fall so many times, I get depressed and upset with myself for doing something or thinking something I shouldn't have, beat myself up but what are we gonna do? We certainly can't just quit, ya know? We MUST push through, we HAVE to win this battle in life.
Absolutely! We're not faced by anything uncommon to man, so we can get through those problems. God will help us push through! Nothing we're faced with can't be conquered.

jandirigma
04-06-10, 6:35 am
After an eye opening day (see "Overcome: Part 1"), I gained more insight on the Christian life and its parallels with the bodybuilding lifestyle. Many say that Christianity cannot be a part of bodybuilding, but I beg to differ. My journey in bodybuilding and the Christian faith has given me more insight as to how the two are so closely alike. Don't think I'm trying to be a religious zealot here. I just want to make a comparison between the two. For non-Christians, I hope that you'll find these comparisons quite interesting. As for my fellow believers, I hope that this entry will be able to help you in your personal journey with Christ and gain further insight.

1) It is not a hard lifestyle, it's an impossible lifestyle:

As many bodybuilders seek bodily perfection, none ever become perfect. There is always something to fix. After all, the body always has weaknesses. It gets sick and withers, it hits plateaus, and it eventually dies. Christians seek to be the best that they can be spiritually, walking in the way that God wants them to go. However, as no man is perfect, they may sway from time to time despite the fact that they are doing their best. It is a hard life that we are called to live, but we all get through to be the best we can become.

2) Despite them being impossible lifestyles, those involved will always seek to improve and persevere despite adversity:

Men have weaknesses, but both bodybuilders and Christians find honor in improving constantly and fighting for their cause. Bodybuilders will seek to get all that their body needs, may it be food or supplements even though many of them may be short on cash. Though, training can be very mundane and grueling, they still push through knowing that they are doing it for a greater cause (fitness) which transcends more than just the body. For true Christians, they know that they must constantly obey God's Word despite temptation. If they stumble in that regard, they will find a way to overcome the problem with God's help. True Christians like the many martyrs, protected their faith and spread the Gospel despite being persecuted, often by death. What they did was insanely difficult, yet they believed that spreading God's Word was too great a cause to be given up.

3) Trials create an avenue for growth:

In the gym, at the table, and in bed, the bodybuilder faces trials daily. He is forced to train, eat, and sleep properly in order to grow. As trials stack up, he learns ways to overcome adversity and become stronger. He then gets the experience needed to face trials he may face in the future. For Christians, trials are faced daily too.
They must act accordingly and appropriately even when nobody is around. Christians are faced with temptations that may get the best of them regularly. The more trials a Christian overcomes in life, the stronger he becomes. Experience teaches him not to succumb or return to what is detrimental to his faith.

4) Christians and bodybuilders are called to live a different lifestyle from the multitude:

In the pursuit of physical excellence, bodybuilders must live strict and disciplined lives in the way they train, eat, and live. Anything less will give them less than outstanding results. If he eats and trains like the rest of society, he denies himself the opportunity to be the best that he can become. Christians are called to live lives that do not follow the evil ways common to man. If he gets sucked into those doings, he can end up in a world of hurt. He must live a life set apart so to speak, as not to conform to society's wrong doings. Because bodybuilders and Christians are different from the rest, many times they are jeered at, scorned, or goaded to do things detrimental to their cause. However, they know that they live for a worthy cause and giving it up is not an option. They continue their way of life despite the pressures placed upon them by society.

5) Dedication/Faith is of utmost importance:

The strenuous journey cannot be completed without it. If a bodybuilder loses dedication, he compromises his progress. If a Christian withers in his faith in God, then he is in for a rough ride in life. Enough said.

6) It is a lifestyle:

You know that already but what does it mean? Bodybuilding is a lifestyle in the sense that you don't just play it in a certain arena, you live it in the gym, at the table, in the library, in bed, or anywhere you may be. It encompasses more than just lifting weights. It is a science and an art form that seeks involvement even outside the gym. You must train, eat, drink, learn, and sleep bodybuilding in order to progress and mature in the game. No matter where you are or what time it is, you are still bodybuilding. The same is with Christianity. You are not a Christian just when you are in church. You must walk in the faith and exercise God's teachings in everyday life no matter where you are or what time it may be. It is not a religion, but a way of life, a personal relationship with God so to speak, that must be lived daily.

jandirigma
04-07-10, 12:13 pm
Man, have the Greeks been around for so long. And with such a long and progressive existence, something meaningful must have been brought up right? Among all the cool things the Greeks have come up with, philosophies, academies, a bunch of brilliant scholars, and of course delicious gyros, they've got a rich history of warriors and epic tales. Now I'm not going to go all historian or comic geek on you, but there are a whole lot of things that I've learned from reading their epics such as the Iliad or watching Greek-based films like "300" and "Clash of the Titans".

What I've learned was that these guys were tough nuts with a sense of duty. Nothing mattered but the task at hand. Take the Spartans for example, the were balls-to-the-wall individuals. They had hardly any adornments, ornaments, or fancies that would distract them from their purpose; war. They knew what they had to do and they did it well. They would do anything to fulfill their duties as Spartans and I mean anything. For example, a part of their initiation was to kill a man from a nearby village. That's how far they went. Another thing about the Greeks is that they don't back up against the odds. In the battle of Spartans against millions of Persians, they didn't friggin' budge and call it a day. They friggin' fought! Even Perseus in "Clash of the Titans" wouldn't budge. He was a demigod against the forces of powers greater than his own. It was even said straight to his face in a prophecy that he would die if he pursued his journey to fight. But he didn't care! He chose the hard way, to fight to the death! Even Zeus offered him a nice cozy place up in Olympus, but he refused that in order to complete his journey. He'd rather die and live in dirt as long as he fulfilled the honor of fighting.

Now how does that apply for life inside and outside the gym? For one, your duty is to train. This isn't just a job or hobby, it's a lifestyle. You don't play bodybuilding, you live it, eat it, drink it, and learn it. Because of that, you might as well go hard or go home. Lift to the death so to speak and just roll with what your supposed to do. This is the objective that must be etched into your skull; to train. As members of this game, we must etch this deep into our skulls that we are called to hit the iron with our best shot. This is war, this is what we live through, this is what we want. we might as well, die lifting knowing that we did it for honor. And I know that we've got a life outside of the gym with far more objectives and responsibilities. We've got to stand our ground in the real world no matter what. You could be thrown off the edge against all sorts of odds, homework, paperwork, a boss you'd like to kill, family problems, whatever. It's gonna be a rough ride for sure, but hey, nothing is easy, not even a day at the gym. You've gotta hang in there and stand through the fire that life throws at you. Face life like you're attacking the iron. Seek to push it so you can make ends meet. You're gonna feel pain, but in the end, you'll find honor in fighting.

jandirigma
04-07-10, 12:58 pm
Yeah you've seen the word on t-shirts. You've seen it in sayings like, " Hare me, love me, but respect me". The youth lack it, by that I mean they don't show it. The same can be said for many grown men. Even I have lacked it in at some point in life. People mention respect all the time, but it is often taken lightly. What was once of such utmost importance in the days of old wherein not showing it could be a matter of life and death, those of today have disregarded it. Instead, respect has become a cool catchphrase for clothing or a mere word blurted by those who pretend to live a life of honor. What does respect really mean in a day where the once common sense of honor has long been forgotten? Let's not go by the dictionary's definition, let's go by life's definition.

Respect could mean being civil or tolerant of others despite strong emotions towards the individual such as anger. It could also mean treating others in a humane or appropriate way no matter what their standing in life may be. Treat that beggar on the street the way you'd treat the Queen of England if you can. Respect also reflects and requires humility. You don't go bragging about how good you are or worse, how "respectful" you are 'cause that just ain't showing respect, you're just promoting yourself. It's respect in the sense that you won't go on wasting somebody's time for the sake of promoting yourself. Respect is also acknowledging your mistakes, acknowledging not just to yourself, but others what you've screwed up at. That might sound like a definition for humility right? That's respect in the sense that you know where you've gone wrong and you know that you just ain't perfect like any screw-up you meet. Respect means showing gratitude for what's been handed to you. All the more it must be shown if you did not deserve what was given you. That's enough reason for showing respect.

The fun but hard part now is how to earn respect. You can't force respect. You could beat a guy up so bad that he'll forget his name and still not get an ounce of respect from him. You could probably beat money out of him, but never respect. Respect is not material, therefore it cannot be bought or forced upon, yet it can be earned. In the gym, how will you to earn it? Simple, start lifting, less talking. Let people see how full-blown you are into your pursuit. Let them see that you transcend the limits imposed on yourself. You let nothing stop you from getting to point A to point B. You will be dedicated to this pursuit you chose in the first place and finish it well. You won't take training casually, you fight the war like a soldier, guns blazing 24/7. You don't fall for distractions. You also guard what you say and do no matter where you are, 'cause everybody hates a trash-talker and a punk. Yeah, you've gotta protect your rep with none other than respect. Respect will make you the warrior you that want to be thought of as. The same can be said outside the gym. Let nothing stop you from fulfilling your purpose. You could be stacked up against odds, but you'll be respected because of the way you handle adversity. Like I said, you've also got to watch what you say and do in order to earn respect. Respect is earned the hard way. No shortcuts, just an ounce of blood, sweat, and integrity.

There are many ways of showing and acquiring respect. The long forgotten and misused word has so many applications and definitions that this passage alone cannot discuss it in full. Though you've got the gist if it, what are you gonna do? Will you just nod your head in agreement to this entry and then forget about it as if this was just another article in your favorite magazine? No. You will apply it. You must apply it. The world has forgotten respect, but you won't. You know how important it is both inside and outside the gym, so why not give it a shot? In a world where the standard of honor has been reduced, you must find a way to re-establish that standard. Start off with respect.

Brick By Brick
04-07-10, 1:09 pm
Respect=golden rule. IMHO. And Eddie Murphy's drunk dad in "Raw."

Legacy
04-07-10, 1:17 pm
I believe that the people who get the most respect are the ones who work their ass off, don't complain, realize mistakes, do what is required and don't put down others.

My favorite quote from machine "You could say I walk on the fringe of the iron game, so come with me on the ride of your life. If you make it, you will have one thing that is impossible to buy and very hard to come by--my respect."

Goliathus
04-07-10, 1:33 pm
Everyone has it in their head that they're the shit
So it's damn near impossible to earn respect from them

jandirigma
04-07-10, 1:42 pm
Everyone has it in their head that they're the shit
So it's damn near impossible to earn respect from them
Haha! So true brother!

jandirigma
04-07-10, 11:52 pm
Upon getting my first Animal Pak yesterday, I took a long hard look at the can. It was more than a container, it was like a mirror of what my life has been like through the years. It also served as a reminder of what I must fulfill. It sure sounds plain nuts to compare one's life to a can of multivitamins, but there's so much I've seen through the can that reminds me about my journey. Heck, I won't even throw the friggin' thing away once it's empty because of what I've learned just staring at it. I'm going to keep it as a reminder of the journey I've been going through and a guide to the journey I'm continuing.

First of all, the Pak is comprised of several minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and enzymes. All these small components are there for one reason, to create a firm foundation for the body. These little components as a whole are what make Animal Pak complete. The same has been with my life. My life has so many small parts that have completed it into what it is today. Physically, I've done so much to create a firm foundation by working like a madman with the weights or in the ring, eating all sorts of clean food, and researching for more information about the game. I'd sometimes go to the gym after class and end up coming home at around nine in the evening after a long session to prepare for a fight. I did so much for one goal; to be stronger. And indeed, have I become stronger after all the work I've put in. Even in life I had sought to build a firm foundation. Every man has his weakness, and I've tried and tried to keep myself afloat. From a goody-good little kid, I turned into a prankster at fourteen. You wouldn't believe the stuff I did, like throwing tissue piss-bombs at condominiums which still remain to this day. I even tried to pull off a prank on one of the country's senators! Thank God that didn't push through. I also developed an addiction at that age (ain't drugs). My life was in turmoil. I knew I was on the wrong side but I went on anyway. But now, I know better than to act like a fool. I have my own share of mistakes until now, but I'm no longer that foolish. As I matured, I also started to value other things aside from the things that I wanted. Growing up as an only child, you tend to be a little self-centered sometimes. As I got older, I started to value people and what they might be needing. You can have all the riches, but a life without people is rubbish. I've learned to value each moment with my family and friends because I now know that you can't buy good company. I've also learned to focus on what I need more than what I want. Necessity overcomes mere fancies. I've become stronger because of the several little components of life I've been through. Better yet, everything I have been through and will go through will make me wiser, smarter, and stronger mentally, spiritually, and physically. I am reaching completion just like the Pak.

The Animal name has stood the test of time. Through the years it has become better and better because of its vast experience in the business. It has also built a name for itself through commitment to the game. I do seek to stand the test of time myself. In fact, I sort of am right now. I've gone through mistake after mistake only to end up becoming better than I was before because of my constantly widening experience. In the gym, I've improved significantly too. I don't just look better, but my knowledge on nutrition and physiology has increased. I have become more seasoned in the game through the toil I put myself through. I'm about to enter college in another country alone. While I'm there, I want to cement my name with nothing but my commitment to go further.

Staring at the can also reminds me of what I must become. First, it is simple. No magic, just the essentials that I need. The Pak contains nothing except what it needs in order to fulfill its purpose. I must be simple in the way I live. In a foreign country all alone, I can't fancy myself with wants. I must focus on what I need in order to survive. Like I said earlier, necessity overcomes mere fancies. I must be focused at the purpose at hand, so that my mind will never look away and gaze upon mere distractions to my purpose. Secondly, I must also be strong and hard like the can. I must forge myself into a tougher individual not just physically but mentally and spiritually. Nothing must faze me. Instead, I must seek to rise against adversity to emerge a better man. I must also protect my reputation by means of integrity, just like the good old Pak has through the years. Just like the Pak which covers nutritional gaps, so must I cover the gaps in my life. I've got weaknesses, but I must overcome them to become stronger. Like the age-old Animal Pak, I must continue to stand the test of time, constantly growing and earning respect along the way like the Pak has, earning more respect as time flies by from the elite of the iron game, thus further cementing its legacy.

Lastly, by staring at the can, I am reminded to be dedicated to the iron game. That is Animal. To be a full-fledged iron warrior. You literally eat, drink, sleep, and learn the game. There are no shortcuts. No fancy stuff needed, just the tried and true necessities essential for the journey. No-nonsense, balls-to-the-wall, whatever! You stick to your objective at all costs and make sure you fulfill it. You are true to the iron lifestyle. You are not a pretender because you know that you were made to embark on this journey. Animal, that just keeps ringing in my head. Who knew I'd learn so much from a mere can?

jandirigma
04-12-10, 6:54 am
From where I train and in other places around the world, many people don't train right. Here are some common cases.

1) Doing nothing but walking on the treadmill:

Everybody seems to think that merely walking will get them fit. First of all, this won't work because the body is not put under stress to cause any adaptations or changes. The body must be under stress to cause adaptations. Ironically, people who are drawn to this activity keep complaining that there have been no improvements in muscle definition and endurance. Obviously, it's because they did not work hard and train smart. Walking will not boost endurance since you are not even fully exhausting your ATP or even fully tapping into your glycogen stores. Because of this, the body sees no need to adapt for endurance since its energy stores are not fully utilized. As for muscle definition, it's impossible for walking to create the body of your dreams. There is hardly any effort required in walking and it works nothing more than your legs at a very leisurely and non-exhaustive pace. If they want both muscle definition and endurance, they should ditch the steady-state cardio and hit the weights. They often shy away from the iron thinking that it will damage their joints and bones and create excess bulk. This isn't true. Walking and running actually produce more joint damage than lifting because of the constant impact of the foot on the surface that you are treading on which reverberates to the knee joints, causing joint pain. With lifting, you move the weight in a smooth motion, which places minimal stress on the joints. The only way that the iron could damage joints and bones is by overloading the weights if you have an injury, forcing to lift with an injured body part, picking a weight that is beyond your capacity to control, or if the iron is actually being dropped on your head. In fact, lifting can create stronger joints and bones by training the individual to support loads that trigger strength improvements without causing any forceful pressure on the connective tissues, which are perfect for even the elderly. As for excess bulk, there are ways to train with weights without having to be too bulky. Just, look at professional sprinters. Many of them train with weights but are not bulky, plus they actually became faster with weight training. This is because they trained with weights primarily using high reps for muscle endurance and definition. They trained smartly, training with weights properly for their chosen sport.

2) Doing too little work:

Many times I see people just lounging around just watching the television in the gym. They did not put in smart and hard work, that is why they don't progress. Others do a few exercises and just spend time sitting around or starting at the mirror without even a slight shortness of breath. The gym is a place to work and your mind must be set to work. It is not a place to lounge around like the mall. Some think that stress on the body is bad. However, they must consider training as "good stress". It is stress that causes their body to adapt to the pain imposed upon it, thus causing the desired changes in physique. Some are afraid of feeling muscle aches or even pumps. What they don't understand is that this is the pain that causes the body to trigger growth hormone and IGF-1 due to lactic acid build-up, thus stimulating growth. However, they must take note that for the muscle to actually grow, they must rest and eat ample food so that the body can repair damaged muscle tissue which will in turn help them get a fuller physique.

3) Doing too much work:

Many young athletes in particular tend to overtrain. Too many times have we heard the dangers of overtraining, but some still tend to push their effort beyond what is necessary. By no means am I advocating passive "training". The body must be put under stress often to the point of failure, but it must be given time to recover. Trainees must also know when enough is enough. Leave ego at the door and rest when it is called for. If you don't rest, you don't recuperate. If you don't recuperate, you don't grow.

4) Trying to look impressive:

Some people tend to lift beyond what they can actually handle, often times just to catch somebody's attention. Not only is this detrimental to the body by creating an avenue for possible injury, but it leads the person to stray from his objective; to train. The gym is a place to work , not show off.

jandirigma
04-12-10, 11:18 am
*This entry was inspired by a passage by Violator on one of his threads.

Anger. The pissed off feeling. The feeling that makes you want to kill your neighbor for booming his audio when you wanna sleep. The feeling you get when you want to shoot the brains out of that guy who stabs your back. The feeling that makes you want to smash the face of someone who just dissed you. Resist it. Anger is natural. It is also naturally destructive. When one man causes another to get pissed, then the provoked becomes consumed by anger, thus reacting with vengeance. Then the cycle continues with each man exacting his own vengeance upon the other.

I remember the days when I was consumed by anger even for a moment. I remember punching a few cabs (fortunately not the driver) when they kept speeding ahead from meters away nearly running me over. I remember answering back to my parents when I was under correction and I couldn't see the point. I also remember taking to heart my quarrels with certain people and exacting my own vengeance. Recently, I am glad that I haven't acted so inappropriately to certain situations, yet it is a struggle. It is a struggle to let the problem pass and get back to my normal life in times like those.

Anger is so natural a feeling, yet it must be resisted at all costs even when you're at your boiling point. When someone pushes you out of the line at the counter, don't push him back. When someone disses you, suck it up and let it be. When someone laughs at you in the gym, just do your thing. I'm not telling you to lie down and be defenseless at all times though. If someone plans to maul you and take your life, then fight back by all means if needed. Use your actions appropriately. But if you are under non-threatening circumstances, suck up the anger and move along. Anger is counter-productive. When one is provoked, the cycle goes on and on. A cycle of hatred where there is no victor and no prize except putting the other down. Your life will only be ruined by anger if you let it be manifested. It is simply a waste of time being consumed by this emotion that leads you to do crazy things for shallow reasons. Be a man and keep your emotions leveled, since there are other more important things to set your mind to and the guy you want to kill ain't one of them. Anger has no place anywhere. Not in the mall, not in the home, not on the street, and definitely not in the gym. Live at peace and let others have their own share of peace. Calm the flame and be happy while your at it.

violator
04-13-10, 3:16 am
glad i could inspire a post... great attitude bro...
liked your earlier comparison between ur life and the pak... creative...

jandirigma
04-13-10, 8:23 am
glad i could inspire a post... great attitude bro...
liked your earlier comparison between ur life and the pak... creative...
That post you made kinda hit me in the head, haha! So I just had to make something like it.

jandirigma
04-24-10, 9:46 am
Sometimes I get asked by people about what needs to be done to gain muscle or shed fat. After I’ve answered their questions, I often finish by telling them some basic knowledge, like nutrition and training must be meshed and that there’s no single solution to becoming fit. It’s more than just doing your crunches, bicep curls, and eating a can of tuna, or taking a certain supplement. It’s much more difficult and complicated than that. Sometimes people think that getting washboard abs and a blockbuster physique is going to be a walk in the park when they see those smiling poster boys and models on the latest fad devices advertised on television as they happily crunch their abs away. They don’t see that building a great physique requires much knowledge and dedication, not just four minutes on some expensive machine and binging on their doughnuts once they’ve finished. Sadly, the harsh reality is that there is no shortcut. Once people realize this, their desire to seize their fitness goals crumbles. They begin searching for more miracles that will leave their wallets empty and their hopes faded. What they don’t realize is that if they back down from the hard way, they won’t find any other way to get to their goals. Instead they end up wasting their time and hard-earned cash for useless machines or whatnot. Because of this frantic search for a shortcut or miracle, they end up backing down from the real stuff that works; hard work in the gym.

When did you hear people say that bodybuilding is easy? When did you hear them say that it’s a sport for the brainless? When did you hear people say that bodybuilding only involves lifting? I bet you’ve heard these a million times. People don’t see that bodybuilding requires scientific knowledge of nutrition, physiology, biomechanics, and more. Even if you’re not going to be a pro, you should at least have the basic knowledge regarding nutrition and training. So how can they say that bodybuilding is a dumb sport? Haven’t they seen that there are so many magazines and books covering scientific knowledge required for our sport? This alone is testament to the fact that there is so much to learn in bodybuilding. They probably said that bodybuilding was dumb when they saw a guy with a monstrous chest and biceps and nothing more. He’s got no legs, abs, back, and more of those other parts necessary to balance his physique. Well, we’ve all got odd proportions somehow, but by the looks of that guy, I bet a thousand bucks that he trains nothing more than his chest and arms during every session. He probably doesn’t even mind that his other body parts are a whole lot smaller compared to his mirror muscles. I guess he’s just a guy who lifts weights without the true knowledge, dedication, and the common sense to balance his physique of a real bodybuilder. Yeah, that’s a guy without knowledge and I wouldn’t call him a bodybuilder, just a guy who lifts weights. A true bodybuilder will always work on his weaknesses and see to it that he keeps on learning the sciences required to grow. He doesn’t head off to the gym, grab a few weights and bomb nothing more than his biceps and chest on every workout. Instead, he divides his routines accordingly, setting a schedule for each bodypart from the legs all the way up. He eats right, he sleeps as much as he can, he works and rests accordingly as much as possible daily. He also seeks to progress in his knowledge and physical prowess daily. Each day is a struggle to reach his goals. Did you hear that, daily? Bodybuilding happens 24/7 inside and outside the gym. It happens on the table, in bed, anywhere. It literally is a way of life, no two ways about it. To be in the game, you need to live the game. Stating this, how can bodybuilding be easy? Speaking of all the knowledge required, the proper eating, rest, training, and discipline, how can one say that bodybuilding is simply lifting weights?

If you showed this article to somebody in dire need of a miracle, they’d probably get depressed and end up pitying themselves. On the bright side, if they answer the call that there is no easy way to get a better body, then they’ve purchased something that money can’t buy. They’ve earned a shot at boosting their confidence knowing that they will make it through the pain, gaining a stronger, more sculpted, and resilient body, and of course a shot to improve their quality of life in ways that will take me forever to enumerate. They’ve earned this and many more benefits that I haven’t mentioned because they could fill up a whole book. So the next time somebody asks you what it’ll take or what it’ll be like on the road to a better body, tell them it’s going to be hard. But finish it off with this. Tell them that if they take the hard way, they won’t be sorry.

jandirigma
04-27-10, 12:06 pm
Nowadays, people are beginning to appreciate and understand the benefit of teaching children how to be fit. Now, not only are adults and teens lifting, but so are some of the younger ones. Many people thought that lifting would stunt the growth of youngsters and cause excessive muscle and joint tear, thus causing injuries. This has been disproved considering that the children train with the appropriate weight and supervision. Children can actually increase their joint and muscular strength as well as endurance without stunting their growth. With this, they can reduce their chances of heart diseases and other health complications. According to studies, training also helps improve comprehension, which may help the children to perform better in school.

However, despite the benefits of training, most children still do not live healthy lifestyles. In a world where children are becoming more sedentary than those of ancient days, the cause of fitness must be addressed. Fitness must be raised up high like a banner to call out those who need it most; this young generation. Obesity rates among children are increasing especially in the United States. The wrong diet high in saturated fats, cholesterol, and a sedentary life are beginning to take its toll on this generation. Instead of kids running around and climbing trees, you see them munching on cheeseburgers, playing in the arcades, or playing video games for hours on end. To them this may seem fun, but as they grow older, their unhealthy lifestyles will take its toll. For example, drinking too many sodas and energy drinks too often can lead to diabetes in the future. Eating a diet high in cholesterol and saturated fats may lead to cardiovascular complications. In fact, I’ve heard that these days, the rate of twenty year old’s getting cardiovascular complications and strokes are beginning to rise. Actually, I remember a grade school student in my school who got a stroke because of regularly eating fast foods that were high in fat and cholesterol, like Mickey D’s. As technology improves, it seems that fitness of the youth decline. Virtual reality seems to be taking the place of actual physical activity. Aside from the fact that the diet of this generation is becoming hazardous, technology seems to be robbing them of physical activity. Cumulatively, the young ones are deprived of the two elements required to foster fitness; proper nutrition and training.

We’ve got to step up to teach this generation that it’s time to get fit or die, I mean literally die! Dying of heart failure, heart attack, stroke, and other medical conditions must be prevented at all costs. Think of it, if you do not raise the banner of fitness to the youth, then you are robbing them of a chance to live another day. You’ve probably heard that the children are the future, so why not keep them alive and kicking.

Recently, I was offered the chance to teach P.E. in my former school. I know that as I train the children, I have a responsibility to help them live better and healthier lives. I’m not going to teach them any fancy games or tricks just yet. I’m not going to just play around with them. I’ve got to train them to be faster, stronger, more mobile and durable, just like those of the older generations that went before them. I don’t want them to suffer like the rest of the world. I don’t want them to end up in a hospital later in their lives because they did not take care of their bodies. I know that many of them aren’t exactly healthy and may have medical concerns due to their lifestyles, but I challenge myself to turn their lives around. While I may not completely create a dramatic makeover, I hope that at least I was successful at giving them a chance to literally save their own lives.

We must all do our part in sharing the importance of fitness in a world literally dying because of its absence. Iron warriors, get into the battle field and fight to see this suffering generation in a better state. Let’s kill the sedentary lifestyle. Save this generation from ending up in ICU’s because their arteries are so clogged up after gorging on endless piles of Mickey D’s and potato chips. Save them from those avoidable conditions that they are leading themselves into. Let them live to see a better day. This is a fight worth fighting for. You wanna be a hero? Here’s your chance. Crush the unhealthy habits of society and you could literally save the world. Think of it, if you save a life, you become a hero. Let’s fight this battle together. We bodybuilders around the world are millions strong in number. We come from different jobs, races, backgrounds, religions, and creeds, but we are all bound by iron. We have the world as our battle field, so let’s fight for this cause; fitness. I declare war…so who’s with me?

jandirigma
05-27-10, 12:05 pm
Nobody is perfect. Look in the mirror literally and face the facts. It's right in front of you. We've got some blemishes that we fail to even admit to ourselves. This time, look within yourself and see that there's probably something wrong. There could be disturbances within that manifest in your outermost being. Rage, grief, lust, all the negativity, do their part in shaping you into something simply counterproductive. They tear you apart socially, mentally, and emotionally. They can tear you apart as much as being a fat schlub being laughed at on public television. As much as physical blemishes must be watched, so are the problems within. We've all got our physical, mental, and spiritual weaknesses and sometimes it's just hard to not be overcome by them. Sometimes we just think about all the crap that's going on with our lives that we fail to take action to further better ourselves. We always seem to dwell upon the negative side of life, how the boss screws us up, how our bad habits seem to get the best of us, how sick and tired we are, the list goes on and on. You know your problems, you know they're your enemies, so what will you do?

Trust me, I've felt this way before. I was so overcome by the negativity in my life that it was hard not to give in to the same bad habits all the time. Sometimes, I just felt that I've run out of hope to change. I've been causing public mischief and watching porn on the web before when I was a few years into high school and I just thought that since I was stuck in this rut, why bother changing? I can't get out anyway. Because of this mentality, I went on ahead with my bad habits until I landed in deeper and deeper trouble and guilt. This is where I was wrong. I was wrong to think that there was no chance that someone deep into these habits could possibly change. There was a way out and I had to change. The public mischief I was causing tore my family apart and the hot stuff on the web made me feel like a complete dope for wasting my time on something worthless, when I could have been doing so many fun and productive things. All in all, the negativity manifested and you could look at me and sense that something was amiss. It was time to stop all the turmoil. I had to learn the hard way by facing grave consequences, so I really had to quit my bad habits.

Alright, now what's the solution to getting past all the negativity? Simple. Leave them behind. The ways to do this are endless. If you can simply shut your mind down and focus on more positive thoughts, do so. If you feel pissed, get over it and think of something good that happened today or whatever that makes you forget the negatives. Thinking of all the negatives will not add a single day to your life. It'll only make every second of your life worse. If you have a habit to break, simply stay away from anything that encourages you to engage in those habits. Oh, sounds hard not to be tempted to try your old habits huh? Think of all the consequences and they'll heavily outnumber the benefits. That's enough reason to quit them. If I did more public mischief, I could've been kicked out of school or maybe sent to juvenile detention if I did worse stuff. And if I searched for more babes on the web, I'd feel more like an awful jerk to have a wife of my own someday knowing that my eyes have looked lustfully upon other women. Going on with life's negativity, bad habits, strong negative emotions, anything that disturbs you, will add nothing but garbage to an otherwise better life.

As I was writing this entry, I was awfully pissed at the distracting whistling my dad was making. For a minute, I had to take my piece of advice to think of something good and get over the annoyance. After all, why be pissed when it will just make things worse. If I vented out on my dad just a while ago, we could end up in an all night fight. I've got to admit that even if it doesn't show, I've got an awfully bad temper and God knows what trouble I could get in if I let it out. Like I said, don't let life's negativity get to you.

Now with all the inner being talk, what does this have to do with the physical? To make it brief, stupid feelings or habits can lead you to do stupid things. Stupid things will in turn give you stupid moments that will add nothing beneficial to your life. For example, if I got angry at a guy on the street and I pushed him, what could happen? He could hit me back and I'd end up in a hospital away from the gym for months (what a reason). Also, to be scientific this time, stressful and negative emotions cause stress, thus creating more cortisol, a catabolic hormone. We don't want that as muscle builders right? For example, I could ponder on all my mistakes and feel bummed out. At the same time that I'm having an emo moment, my body is probably producing more cortisol, thus creating the possibility of muscle tissue breakdown (no wonder emos are thin). The point is, negativity breeds negativity. Instead of being overcome by negativity, overcome the negativity. Seriously, even your body will be thanking you too. Stay happy!

jandirigma
05-27-10, 12:36 pm
No, I am not promoting sadism but hard and smart training. Man is a being that can benefit from pain or challenges. Now before you grab your kitchen knife and start stabbing yourself so that you can turn into Superman, wait a second. Not all pain is beneficial. Too much pain causes too much damage, thus causing little or no benefit. On the other hand, intelligent training is beneficial and it hurts. Now, many ordinary and untrained individuals shun the idea of pain as a beneficial factor in the process of success. Because of this, they are always searching for miracle supplements and gadgets to easily carve out the body of their dreams without any effort besides draining the cash from your wallet. If such miracles existed, then bodybuilding wouldn't even be a sport because no considerable physical activity was done and everybody looks like a superhero from a comic book without any effort.

The strain on muscle fibers and connective tissue (considering that you are not overtraining) will in turn create adaptive responses in the body, thus making it stronger, faster, bigger, etc. It's a painful process, but it is essential in building healthier, more muscular physiques. This is the truth that the untrained person fails to oversee. The body is made to survive. Put a stressor on it, and it will enable itself to make the job easier, thus ensuring your survival. For example, under duress, your body pumps out more adrenaline to give you an extra mental boost, alertness, and physical strength so that you can either fight or flee to safety with more efficiency. This is an involuntary response that your body has to ensure survival. The same is with muscle growth. Load up weights in an object like a barbell, and hoist it. Do this often with adequate rest and your muscles will have probably grown in a few days or weeks. This is another involuntary response that your body has that enables you to deal with the stressor (weight) more efficiently the next time the "danger" presents itself. Of course there will be muscle tear from the activity exerted, but the body rebuilds the damaged muscle tissue, making them bigger and stronger so that you can handle stress better the next time.

This brings me to the question, "why do people shun productive pain"? If they want to get fit so bad, why go for unproven and unsatisfactory "miracles"? The miracle called hard (and of course smart) training is already before you, so why not take it? The pain that proper training brings not only triggers physical adaptive responses that make you fitter, it also brings you mental pleasure. Think of the mental high you get when you've accomplished something difficult, knowing you've survived the pain and achieved your goals. You get that feeling almost every time you go through a good training session. It hurts, but it feels so good that you've pushed your limits and gave yourself and opportunity to be better both mentally and physically, taking yourself one step closer to accomplishing your dreams. In the end, when you see the work of your hands right before you in the mirror, you'll find out that all the pain was worth it. You have a new sense of accomplishment, purpose (for other purposes of training beyond vanity), and well-being both mentally and physically. Don't tell me that you can buy that with the latest fad pill! Pain can be your friend when paired with the iron. It's quite literally pain for pleasure! Well, productive pain at that!

jandirigma
05-28-10, 8:24 am
Man loves to have fun. He collects, buys, and enjoys. Since the days of empires, man has sought riches and pleasures to satisfy his every whim. Sometimes, that longing for pleasure and riches gets taken to the extreme. How many times have the youth of this time and age wasted their time on worthless somethings; drinking, partying until dawn, banging some chicks every week, and getting wasted. They heavily invest in things that will give them no further benefit than temporary pleasure and feed their vanity. They splurge on all the latest shoes when they mostly wear only a single pair of them. They buy all the hottest fad gadgets sometimes to simply fit in even though they will hardly use the items purchased. The list goes on and on. Lifelong investments such as health, well-being, knowledge, wisdom, and a good reputation are considered too old-school and corny to be considered worthy investments for today's youth. These and other good values get pooh-poohed and thrown around a lot instead of being practiced and cultivated. Instead, today's youth seek to invest in objects that are of temporary value and benefit. They always seek to impress people with their own material possessions. Materialism grabs hold of this generation, wiping away the importance of values and traits that are unseen, investments that are not material yet hold much value, such value that you may keep until death.

Do you want to see this generation's decline through materialism before your eyes? Simply tune in to MTV. Watch shows like "Jersey Shore", "Teen Cribs", and "My Sweet Sixteen". All these shows are highly materialistic and youth-centered. A couple of rich spoiled girls (and guys) splurge on a one night party. They spend thousands of bucks on clothes that they'll wear for only a single night. The point of this bank account withering splurging? Well, just a chance to show off on television, impress a random number of friends, and party for just one night. Guys and girls on "Jersey Shore" on the other hand waste their time with all sorts of crap day in and day out, getting drunk, making out in a jacuzzi, and whatnot. Temporary materialistic pleasures have gone through the roof. They don't see that in time, all these crazy things they've done, all the cash they've spent would have brought nothing to them but a bank account short of cash, money wasted that could have been used for necessities instead of wants, a wardrobe full of dusty items, shame, a ruined reputation, and a lot of wasted time.

Is this generation forever doomed to ponder on objects (and maybe some people) that will do nothing but satisfy their wants and collect nothing but dust in the end? Are forgotten values like respect, integrity, discipline, honor, wisdom, and others forever forgotten by this generation? I'd like to see a day when this generation could invest in things that are unseen and indestructible; invest in themselves and perhaps other people that matter. They must cultivate their innermost being, sharpen their wits, toughen their bodies, and live a life of integrity and honor. The youth must know that material possessions will fade in time. I could burn everything they own right now and they'll be forever gone. However, I cannot burn and destroy good values, a strong body, a strong soul, and a strong mind that even a billionaire would envy. Those are the investments the youth must begin to value. Cash is fleeting my friend, but true wealth such as these cannot be bought, yet they are worth so much. These investments will enable one to survive, live well, and possibly acquire ones wants and needs. It's a triple whammy if you ask me, so invest in these values that will last you a lifetime instead of mere objects that will be destroyed and forgotten.

It was once said that the children are the future. But if the children of this age are living without honor, ensnared by the ways of disgrace and materialism, then how dark is that future! Until this generation can learn to invest in true wealth, the children of this generation cannot be called the future.

jandirigma
06-17-10, 11:45 am
Bodybuilding makes men. I'm not just talking about mere physical development, but that of mind and soul. It is the perfect art form if I must say, that brings physical and mental unity. Without a powerful mind and soul, the body cannot achieve its fullest potential. And without a sound body, the mind and soul cannot act upon their intent. Bodybuilding develops the entire scope of a man. The gym is a man's training ground for life. If you make it in the gym deep in the trenches, you can make it anywhere.

Let's start with the physical. A healthy and sculpted physique that is also functional will help one enjoy life more, since you are capable of more activities and less prone to illnesses that may hamper your abilities. You become more vigorous in activities that are required of you and some that you simply do for enjoyment. Either way, a fit body will help a lot. A strong and muscular physique also makes one look more masculine (duh!). That's also the reason I call the Iron Game, the manly art. To be shaped into a physique resembling that if a Greek god is something manly indeed, to be strong, chiseled, and physically able. To be strong is something masculine indeed.

Now for manliness within. No, I'm not talking about acting like a show-off who wrestles pitbulls and beats everybody in the bar up kind of manly. I'm speaking of real manliness, traits that every man must have. Bodybuilding, through its many demands builds discipline. As young boys, we were taught discipline. The Iron Game is a perfect way to train this important trait. Without discipline, people slack off and live in complacency. After all, when we work, discipline is needed or our entire means of living will be destroyed. The lack of discipline to abide to the law can also get us into trouble. Enough said, we need discipline. This is indeed an important trait. Now, bodybuilding forges discipline by etching into one's mind that success is impossible without hard work, just like it is in real life. To get a great physique, you have to strictly follow a sound diet and training program. Aside from that, one must continually make diet and training changes to suit his changing physical condition. One must also get enough sleep and abstain from harmful activities. On top of that, one must literally study bodybuilding by absorbing as much scientific information in order to gain more understanding about himself (the human body). These requirements are impossible to do without discipline, and real bodybuilders are never complacent.

The Manly Art of Bodybuilding also puts to mind that sacrifices are to be made to make ends meet, quite like the trait of discipline. To build a great body, you need greater sacrifices. The same is in life, to achieve great goals, greater sacrifices are to be made. Every one needs to know when a useful compromise is to be made. In the iron lifestyle, one must often skip some fliesurely activities so that he can train, or train on a bad day after work when he's about to pass out, or abstain from certain foods that he craves for when necessary. In life, compromises and sacrifices are necessary such as sacrificing your wants for your needs. Bodybuilding develops the sense of sacrifice.

Lastly, the "manliest" trait that bodybuilding develops; toughness. Yes, bodybuilding makes some of, if not the toughest and strongest bodies around, bodies able to withstand demands that most people are not capable of handling. That's a sign of toughness. But bodybuilding builds mental toughness too. To consciously impose pain on oneself in order to reach one's goals is toughness. A bodybuilder will push himself to the point of pain in order to spur growth. He'll smile at the thought of physical pain, knowing that it is what he needs to grow, that is toughness. He also abides by a structured lifestyle with a strict diet and training regimen that most people are unwilling to live through, his life is painful and demanding. Sometimes life can be so mechanical for him, but he soldiers on, knowing that each day is a day to become stronger, and that is toughness. Mere men crumble at the thought of this lifestyle. We need to be tough in life. No one will always be there to pat us on our backs and we won't be having good times every time, instead, some people may just spit upon us and we'll be in some days that feel like hell. There will be pain imposed upon us in life, no doubt about it, because life ain't easy. There will be pain and disappointment that makes our souls tremble, yet we must stand strong. The iron helps one train to become tougher by facing the individual with pain. It is pain that can be conquered if you are willing to step up to it. The same is with pain in the real world, which is beyond the physical feeling. If you don't step up to it, you will be consumed by it. It is like pain in the gym, it is conquerable. Bodybuilding forges tougher men by forcing them to step up to the pain, grab the bull by the horns, and give it a ride before they fall off. If one cannot step up to a challenge in life because they weren't tough or disciplined enough, the battle is lost before it has begun. This is why toughness is so important.

Bodybuilding is more than just a physical activity, it is a training method for life. The many attributes of real men that are needed in the real world can be honed in the gym. This is indeed the manly art.

jandirigma
06-21-10, 11:45 pm
Time to train alone under the helipad in the dark. All is quiet again and the lights are off. No television, no fans, no aircons, no people, no noise. It's just me and the same weights I've set my hands upon three years ago. Its raining outside and here I am in a place full of memories, where it all began. I worked out here aimlessly when I was fourteen, when I just started out with the iron. I was eager to learn, wondering how I would be years from now after I picked up those first few pounds of metal. I new nothing about training and nutrition, but I grew anyway. I left the place after a few months of lifting, feeling satisfied that I've grown and had other things to do. But somehow, so-called fate brought me back to this place where I started out, at home with the iron again. Now bigger and stronger, though I started lifting again in a commercial gym since 2009, I've picked up where I left of in this place, under this roof where my journey began.

Now, this is the place where I help others make their own beginnings, trying to make this place as much as home to them as it is to me. There's nothing special about the equipment or facilities here. What's special are the unfolding of events that took place under this roof. I've got some fourteen year-old kids that I train in this gym. It brings back memories when I once was like them in this very same place, fresh for growth, minds ready to suck up valuable information, eager to have a go. This time, unlike me, they have guidance when they start out. They've got guidance from me, the one who had no guidance when he started out here. I help give them the training they need, and the knowledge required to help reach their goals. Though I don't consider myself and am not the sole reason of their progress, I am happy that I can help them progress. I, the one who had no clear path, now helps lead the way.

violator
06-22-10, 6:59 am
... I, the one who had no clear path, now helps lead the way.

lifes interesting like that huh?
nice post man...keep leading...

jandirigma
06-22-10, 11:56 pm
lifes interesting like that huh?
nice post man...keep leading...
Oh yeah sir, very interesting. Thanks man. Love this job!

ZombiePower
06-23-10, 12:07 am
loving this stuff man keep it up

jandirigma
06-23-10, 12:44 am
loving this stuff man keep it up
Thanks man, glad to hear!

jandirigma
06-23-10, 12:52 am
Something about this whole teaching experience gave me a third person view of what it was like to be a grade school student. I once was like them. I studied in that school since I was two, and finished high school there at seventeen. Seeing all these kids is like looking in a mirror of what I used to be, laughing, learning, playing, enjoying everything. Seeing them, talking to them, and being with them feels like going back in time to stare into the mirror of my past. I feel so awake today, since my mind was taken out of my daily life which was getting a bit too mechanical, wake-up, train, surf the web and read about training, eat, repeat. My life got a bit too mundane at some point, that I forgot about my fun side almost completely. My life was a bit too geared towards training myself. I miss the days when I could have fun like a kid and do simple stuff in school. I also re-learned to enjoy the simple everyday things, a simple conversation, a day of playing ball, sipping my coffee at break time, and other ordinary stuff. Being with smaller kids has brought me back in time, I actually feel like I'm back in grade school. Honestly, I feel younger now for some weird reason. It was fun going "back in time" today. There really is a lot to learn from the little ones.

jandirigma
07-21-10, 1:33 am
The mind is often neglected in combat with man or the iron. Strategy, technique, and strength of body is often stressed in combat. You can have the strongest body on earth, but if you do not have the proper mindset, a hungrier and more determined opponent can have a huge chance of bringing you down. The body is a weapon; your hands, head, feet, teeth, and more. Everything is a weapon and so is the mind. The fists may do the talking for you, but it is the mind that pieces all actions together. It controls your hesitation, your willingness, emotions, reactions, everything. For some of the more experienced, they can blunt the pain of combat by means of shear strength of mind and determination. That alone can be a huge factor in battle. Sometimes, a man without the notion of surrender can beat a more skilled opponent who has less heart. That said, not just the body must be fortified, but the mind too. The mind is a weapon, so use it, strengthen it, prepare it for battle.

Here are some things I’ve learned along the way that will help enforce a warrior’s mind. You may have heard some similar sayings before, but I hope that you will build a tougher mind through my writing.

1) It is alright to be afraid, it’s how you react to fear that makes the difference between defeat and victory. If you must fight and instead lay on your back and surrender, defeat is inevitable.

2) There is a difference between being stupid and brave. In combat, you must do what is fitting to the situation. If you must step back to buy some time for a while, go ahead, but by no means must you surrender, knowing that you have a chance.

3) There are great fighters, not invincible ones. Every man has a weakness, and everyone can be beaten either by chance or simply by another man who strategically identifies his opponent’s errors.

4) You are not a coward of you take a day off to rest and fight another day. You are a coward if you surrender in the heat of battle when you do not even take the time to give yourself a chance to hang in there and fight.

5) Be confident, not over-confident. Be confident that you are ready, that you have a chance, that you have skills, that you are a warrior. Do not be over-confident such as to think that anything you do is perfect, that you are unbeatable, that you already know enough. Those who become over-confident end up in mediocrity, never reaching their full potential and eventually taste humiliating defeat. If they are great fighters, they could have been better if they had not gone over their heads thinking that they were the best. To be over-confident hinders learning, hinders the development of a warrior.

6) It is natural to get hurt, it is your willingness to fight through pain that leads to victory. You got cut, you fight. You got woozy, you fight.

7) Dish out more punishment than you receive. Be generous in giving pain to your adversary.

8) A warrior does not seek retribution when an opponent is out. If he’s out and defenseless, let him be. The battle is over. There is no need to further batter an already defeated man. You are a coward and a thug, not a warrior, if you do not know when enough is enough. Those who continue to beat a dog when he is down, has no confidence in his victory since he seeks to further "achieve" victory by beating an already fallen opponent. Be satisfied with your victory and leave your downed enemy

9) Respect. This is the way to be honored, by honoring others.

10) Clear the mind. Agendas, hatred, lust, passion, and excitement can keep a warrior’s mind off the battle at hand. Everything has its time, in battle, think of just the battle. When the battle is over, seek peace of mind. Resolve personal issues, resolve problems, and relax. The mind must be trained and sharpened, but it must also be relaxed and rested.

11) Nothing is perfect, no fighting style is. No fighting art will be guaranteed victory every time. The fighter matters, he makes the difference in a fight, not so much the system that he studies.

12) Take care of your mind. Toughen it. Make it as free-flowing and calm as water yet hard and resilient like a rock. You’ve got to make strong and rapid decisions and yet remain calm.

13) Live with a code of honor. The heart and mind must act as one. Without honor and morals, the so-called warrior is nothing but a thug. A real warrior must live properly in and out of the battlefield.

Survivor831
07-21-10, 9:35 am
Brother, I apollogize for not posting sooner. This is some good, real life stuff. To go through what you have gone through is a victory in itself. But, to not just lay down and die and let life pass you by, that my friend is a true testiment to ones will. Keep pressing on brother.

jandirigma
07-21-10, 11:54 pm
Brother, I apollogize for not posting sooner. This is some good, real life stuff. To go through what you have gone through is a victory in itself. But, to not just lay down and die and let life pass you by, that my friend is a true testiment to ones will. Keep pressing on brother.
Thanks a lot sir. Your words truly mean a lot specially since times have been rough lately. I will surely continue to press on and I hope you too will continue pushing no matter how hard things may turn out. We all need to keep fighting! Peace brother.

jandirigma
07-22-10, 12:40 am
Sometimes when we achieve something, we tend to take full credit. Some people keep saying that they are a product of nothing but their own blood, sweat, and tears. Yes, we may be doing a lot of the dirty work, but without the people we love and respect behind our backs, we wouldn't even have a shot at accomplishing something. I've got to admit, even a huge loner like myself would never have accomplished anything if not for other people who helped and supported me. For instance, I may be killing myself in the gym, but I wouldn't even be there without my dad who got me started and payed for the fees. We can never say that we made it completely on our own. Behind our successes and daily lives lie seemingly "little" people who pull things together for us. We would be foolish to believe that nobody helped us on the way up, even in the slightest way.

If I were to write a last passage, it would be this. Think of this as the mentioning of credits for my life. My life would never have shaped up if I didn't have people to back me up. I will thank everybody from the most obvious people who helped me out to the seemingly insignificant. I might not be able to thank all the people mentioned for everything they've done for me, since they've really helped me a lot. But all in all, they deserve my respect and gratitude.

First of all, thanks go out to my parents for raising me up the best they could, teaching me what was right and wrong even when I'd get on their nerves. They also did pretty much everything to get me this far, from providing for me financially and offering their love and support for me no matter what, even helping me get up when I'm down and out. But it's their love that made everything turn out for the better. Thanks to the rest of my family who gave me good company (and food) as well as showing their love and support for me in countless ways. I thank them for being flat out normal (in our own sense of the word) by just keeping together despite the circumstances. Thanks to them for also giving me so many memorable events that will impossible to forget. I also give thanks to all my friends for giving me so many fond memories that will remain with me even when I'm gone. Thanks to them for encouraging me and supporting me and for keeping up with my insanity in high school. I've also learned countless lessons from them that I am sure to keep. They've made my life interesting and meaningful, even during seemingly uninteresting and insignificant days. I also thank all my mentors; teachers in school, the gym, the ring, my parents, my family, my friends, and others for handing down their skills, insights, life lessons, and knowledge with me. I would not have developed properly in mind, body, and soul if they had not taught me anything. I am but a product of their mentoring. These are also the people who have been through me through the thick and thin and I thank them too for their love and support. Thanks to the chefs and waiters who serve me food when I am hungry, for I really can't stand hunger very well. Thanks for the pilots and drivers who take me to my desired destinations. Without them, I wouldn't have experienced many memorable events if they had not brought me to those many places. Thanks to the doormen and guards in the condo who help me open the door and greet me with a warm smile each morning. That really brightens up my day. I thank everyone and anyone who has shown me respect, support, and kindness for adding a few minutes or even seconds of happiness to my life. A small gesture of kindness or a few kind words can make all the difference in one's day. Ultimately, I thank God for giving me all these people. Without Him, these people wouldn't be around to make a difference in my life. I also thank Him, for life itself, which turns out to be beautiful no matter what I may think about it.

Now that I've said thanks, think about the people who deserve your gratitude. They may not be that obviously significant, but they are still significant nevertheless. Always remember that no man is his own maker. We've always got back-up.

jandirigma
08-06-10, 5:42 am
I am disgusted at the ignorance and refusal to accept knowledge of many traditionalists who practice old forms of exercise and conditioning and some of the modernists, as well as the restrained mindset of those who are more grounded in the holistic alternatives of fitness. Just like the martial arts, it is time that we keep an open mind toward the techniques of both the ancients and the new. Now that martial artists have come to terms with each others concepts that gaining understanding of each other’s forms will make one a more complete combatant. It is quizzical as to why people remain hesitant to accept and integrate techniques from other systems that actually work may they be new or old. I’m not saying though that every idea or technique, specially in the older forms of exercise will be effective, but we cannot always say that a technique is useless if we fail to research and understand its concept. The point of my article is to open the minds of both the traditional (alternative and holistic) practitioners of ancient exercise and the modernists, those who have been well grounded in western medicine and exercise curriculum.

For the traditionalists such as those practicing qi gong and yoga, their exercises promote very harmonious and relaxed motions. These are great in developing not only peace of mind but mobility due to the coordination required, increased tensile strength due to the stretches, controlled and proper breathing induced by their practice of drawing deep and full breaths, and flexibility. However, I rebuke those who say that their practice is the ultimate and that the western methods have nothing to offer. After all, man needs varying stimuli to be fit in all the bodies aspects and capabilities in regards to flexibility, mobility, anaerobic and aerobic capacity, agility, and strength. This proves that not one method must be considered as an only solution to all fitness needs. Some say that western exercise is aggressive and mindless. They are very wrong indeed. One must concentrate on the mind-muscle connection to truly progress and ensure proper technique and safety. Western exercise may not be very graceful, but it is not aggressive in the implied meaning of the word to be harsh and joint crushingly painful. In fact, western exercise as they call it, has so much scientific research based on actual findings that can be seen, calculated, observed and measured that proves that it can be beneficial for everyone as long as it is done properly depending on the persons stats. It is absolutely ignorant to remain doubtful of scientific data that has been proven time and time again and which continues to improve and say that western exercise is useless. Many of those who say this actually have a very bleak and empty knowledge on real science and are not even in optimal condition, despite their claim that they practice the best fitness system. Many masters have large stomachs and died early due to inadequate physical stimulus and bad eating habits. I am also disgusted at the pile of misinformation that the traditionalists or holistic practitioners allow to be assimilated into their system. For example, some say that they must be strictly vegetarian because meat is useless and filthy. Excuse me, produce when they are harvested also begin to decay and if not raised in a good environment or left unwashed can be dangerous. Plus, man needs meat. Many vegetarians get sick and malnourished in the long run simply because they lacked the protein and nutrients from meat. Sad but true is their state. It is unnatural for man not to eat meat, since we need a wide array of aminos and a lot of protein to rebuild tissue after all the activities we do. What is natural is having a good meal of fruits, veggies, meat, and some carbs, and minimal saturated fats. Some even imply that lifting is unnatural and produces ill effects. Untrue. Man has been weilding and hoisting objects since his creation. Plus, lifting or adding resistance is the most effective way to gain muscle mass and strength. Don’t believe me? Study muscle fiber facts. Type II fibers in particular make a lot of mass in bodybuilders and strength athletes, since these are highly active in activities requiring explosive motions to lift objects and control resistance. I won’t elaborate on muscle fiber science anymore since this article will just drag away from the topic which is to keep an open mind. Try out some western techniques and watch your physique improve in its full spectrum. Trust me.

For the modernists, their techniques get better and better each day, improving every aspect of the human body’s function and aesthetics. However, don’t be quick to dismiss some of the tried and true methods of the ancients. There are many uses of herbs that the traditionalists know that the modernists may find quite useful and convenient to use to treat common ailments. Plus, old exercise forms such as qi gong and yoga as stated in the preceding paragraph has its benefits too, which may be more effective at times compared to some techniques you may be practicing now. For example, bodybuilders could use the finesse and mobility of qi gong to remain proper body movement, alignment, and function. Look at some bodybuilders, all bulk but no function. It is sad to see some modernists say that the past has nothing for them, despite their knowledge of their physical weaknesses which old methods can address. Of course not everything in the past works due to the improvements we’ve made, but there are many forms of exercises from the past that will aid us reach our fullest potential.

We must learn from the past, get the real deal stuff that worked and works, and improve from there. A restrained mind is our enemy when it comes to fitness. We must keep an open mind in order to liberate our physical abilities. Mankind learns from history and improves on the present. This is how the world goes and how it must be in the gym. The key is not to be restrained by a single method but to try out different methods, different stimuli, different ways. Try just one method, and you’ll only improve certain aspects of the human body. Try more methods, get more out of yourself. Open your mind. Be free for once.

jandirigma
08-10-10, 9:24 pm
"Be water." I remember Bruce Lee and other people in martial arts movies say this. Here, I've come up with a simple interpretation based on my observations on water on what it means to "be water".

Please, don't think that I worship some water god because I wrote this little article on the meaning of "being water". Rather, come to think of it that we can learn so much from a simple substance called water.

Water and man are similar. They are just one thing, yet they can do so much. I believe that the key meaning of "being water" is simply being versatile. Water can be calm during a nice warm day, and suddenly becomes a raging tide in the eye of a storm. Clean water can give life to man when he drinks it, since humans are mostly made up of water. Yet, water can kill. Drink contaminated water and you'll probably get sick and even die. Also, if you are unable to keep afloat in water, chances are you'll die or at least be unconscious. Water is soft, yet it can overcome even the hardest objects over time. Just look at rock formations in the sea or other bodies of water. The Underground Cave in Palawan is a good example. Water, a soft substance, burrowed holes into the mountain several meters high in over a million years. It's insane how this stuff is possible. Water has so many uses aside from attributes. It can be used for nourishment, to quench thirst, to disinfect, to fuel objects, to cook, to cool, to heat, and much more.

Water is one substance, yet it has numerous functions and even attributes that contrast each other. It is versatile. To be a complete athlete or human, we must constantly expand our boundaries. Do not think that you can only do certain things. Humans, like water, are made to be versatile. We were meant to keep on learning in order to become better. We were endowed with numerous physical and mental functions, to ensure our survival. Since we were meant to be versatile, don't stop learning and improving, thinking that you've reached your limit. Experiment, keep on learning, improving your mind, body, and soul every day. As soon as we stop learning, we stop progressing. So for the millionth time, "be water". Be versatile.

jandirigma
09-03-10, 3:55 am
How it Began:

Lately, while I have been waiting for nearly a year for school to start, I have been self-studying different aspects and methods of training and nutrition through various resources on anatomy, physiology, and other relevant materials. I have also found myself tapping into resources on alternative medicine and therapy (particularly eastern). Through my study, I have found that both western and eastern methodologies can go hand-in-hand in concepts regarding training, nutrition, and therapy. All it takes to make both of them work together is an open mind and scientific knowledge as well as logic. For example, to the western mind, qi (life energy) has been a mystery. What I found from studying qi, based on my understanding, is that the phenomenon known as "qi", may be directly associated with the electromagnetic currencies of the human body or is an electromagnetic force itself. Based on western medicine, humans do have an electromagnetic currency, which explains how people who cultivate qi can cultivate it for their own good or actually emit it to another being. Perfect sense, electromagnetic conductivity, a western concept present in eastern medicine. There are so many other correlations I've found between eastern and western theory that further drive me into study of both eastern and western methodologies, knowing that bridging the gap between the two corners of the globe can make for one big leap in human development. Because of this, it is high time for people to find out for themselves the best of both worlds.

Making Eastern and Western Concepts Understood:

The problem now is opening minds, finding more data, and simplifying the presentation of methodologies for both training, nutrition, and therapy so that the common man can fully understand and appreciate the concepts presented by both east and west.

To make bridging the gap effective, we must be able to find explanations in plain yet scientifically sound terms, the concepts of the east. we must be able to retain the knowledge of what works in certain methods and treatments, and exclude what does not by means of counter-checking with western science for a simple and logical explanation. Often, people shy away from the tried and proven forms of eastern or alternative methods of training or therapy often because they misconstrue it as magic or just plain a false remedy of the olden days due to lack of research on these fields. Although research does is not extensive here, benefits of eastern treatment has been proven for centuries. Some people fail to see however that herbal medicine, the healing touch of a human, and eastern forms of self-preservation do have science to them. In fact, these methods (if done correctly) can save one a lot of money by means of cost-effective treatment and may stimulate the body's own autoimmune functions. As we know, the body has a built-in army of different antibodies and immune responses. Eastern medicine seeks to improve the bodies own defenses by providing non-intrusive techniques of therapy such as massages like Tui Na and Shiatsu, touch therapy such as Reiki, and herbal remedies. Eastern medicine has some legitimate methods that have been proven throughout time. For example, Qi Gong, a form of Chinese exercise has been proven beneficial to those with arthritis by strengthening connective tissue. It also improves breathing patterns by practicing the control of breath which has numerous physiological benefits. It also improves posture by means of practicing proper spinal alignment while in motion or a static position. As you can see, the methods of the east can be demystified and put in a western perspective such as Qi Gong. Eastern medicine, through it's self-healing and holistic nature, can fill in the gaps of western health practitioners.

For western concepts to be appreciated and well-presented, people must first come to value health. The west has gone on several health-related advocacies to promote health. However, not many common people get to understand the truth and basic concepts of such basic science regarding proper training and nutrition. Another thing is that common people are enslaved to unhealthy habits that they fail to make a move towards good health though they know their consequences. Perhaps they are not scared enough of the dire end of living unhealthy lives? The answer to this dilemma is education. Trainers, doctors, and those in the health and fitness industry must tell science like it is; simple, unpretentious, and proven. No need for faux science in so-called fitness advertisements which are often blatantly and obviously false to those who understand scientific truth behind such health-related matters. Along with proper education of the masses, those in the health industry must be very blunt when it comes to facts presented to the public. No more unproven claims to useless products (although there are some truly ground-breaking innovations which are for real) and selling of false hope by means of an expensive yet "easy" shortcut. Western medicine is simple ans must be kept that way. There are so many simple answers of western medicine to the questions of the public, yet some people corrupt what should be common knowledge by bastardizing the fitness industry with "miracle" products, which make scientific truths more complicated than they should be. Western medicine offers clear, simple, and concise information on all fields of human development such as training and nutrition. The methods it presents are proven by raw and unadulterated science, yet due to lack of proper education, is not fully understood by common people. To make western medicine simple and appealing, the answer is eduction. Be educated and spread the word. Due to its direct and practical nature, western medicine can fill in the gaps in training and nutrition of anybody, including practitioners of eastern methodologies.

Uniting East and West:

The methods of the east and west can work together, may it be in regards to training, therapy, or nutrition. To make them work together, we must first understand the basic functions of the human body by means of educating ourselves. From that alone, we can more or less understand what methods work and which don't. Although eastern and western medicine may have some different perspectives on human structure such as the organizations of meridians and pressure points (east) and organ systems (west), or even reasons for physiological effects, such as environmental, electromagnetic, and mental stimuli (east) and biochemical reactions (west), we can find correlations to fuse the two concepts. In western medicine, it is known that a series of reactions can be created by a certain stimuli thus reverberating to other parts of the body and possibly aggravating or stabilizing a certain response or condition (negative and positive feedback response) . The concept with meridians and pressure points is similar; tap a certain point and certain reactions in with body parts in line with certain meridians may be affected. In the east, environmental and psychological, environmental, and electromagnetic stimuli are considered as reasons for either good or bad health. Indeed, western medicine finds a relation between psychological stimuli and physiological reactions such as the production of the stress hormone cortisol when one is fatigued and the production of endorphins when one is in a euphoric state. To effectively merge concepts, we must find scientific correlations and gain firm understanding on the human body. Through this, we can not only merge concepts but also put them into action by means of actual application.

Lastly, we must open our minds to new ideas. Rather than shunning certain concepts, we must put them to the test. Who knows, we may be mistaken that a "useless" method works and a "useful" one doesn't. An open mind and experimentation will help us learn more from both worlds. If something interests or perplexes you, go ahead and educate yourself regarding the matter. Once we have gained understanding of the different concepts of both east and west, we must creatively and intelligently apply what we've learned about training, nutrition, and therapy from both east and west to ourselves for it is useless to know something yet not be able to put it to good use.

Conclusion:

It is time to end obscurity, superstition, ignorance, and prejudice among eastern and western methodologies regarding training, nutrition, and therapy. Each has something to offer, so why not use them? The east and west has come up with so many breakthroughs and unheard solutions to so many health-related issues, so why not take advantage of those solutions by educating oneself? Through this, we can find so many solutions for healing and improving ourselves to the utmost efficiency. Here are the steps to getting the best that both worlds have to offer. First, banish ignorance and prejudice. Educate yourself. Find what works. Unite the ideologies. Unite the methods. Spread the word. That simple.

jandirigma
09-09-10, 7:04 am
I’ve been completely focused in training for these several months of waiting before my departure from the country next year. I’ve been virtually isolated here in the condo, eating, sleeping, drinking, training, just plain focused on the iron though my motivation has waned. I hardly get the chance to meet friends since their busy in college, only mom and dad around with me at night. I only get to meet other people like a few friends when I go to school a few times a week to work or meet family members when I go to visit them in another city, but more often I’m alone. I’m often alone with my thoughts. They plague me and question me. Lately, I’ve been asking myself so many questions. One of them was, "Why am I doing this? Why am I training? Why am I so dead serious about training that I’ll leave everything behind next year so that I can learn more about my craft?". It was a bit trivial for me since I’ve been lifting for about a year now and my enthusiasm has waned a bit, yet I continue getting the dirty work done like I have never-ending motivation behind me. I began to reminisce, and find the answer to my questions

First of all, in the beginning, I didn’t even want to lift. The day my dad introduced me to the gym when I was unable to fight due to an injury, all I had on my mind was punching somebody’s nose so far up his brain that he’d collapse, so going to the gym for lifts didn’t inspire any enthusiasm on my part. Plus, I knew that my dad wouldn’t allow me to fight any longer due to my numerous accidents in fight training, so I knew that I’d be stuck in the gym. But then, I knew I’d be stuck in the gym lifting, so I did the best I could to actually like lifting.It was hard to do, but then everything changed.
After my first session, when I reached home, I began to feel a deep burn, an ache in my body. It actually felt good, as if my muscles were gonna tear through my skinny body and just explode. This pain started my interest in bodybuilding. I wanted more. I wanted the pain. I could no longer prove myself by facing pain in the ring, but I could face self-inflicted pain to make myself better, bigger, faster, and much more. This time, I could face pain and it could benefit me a lot, without having to worry about concussions. From that pain after my first real lift, my passion for iron grew. I began reading and buying bodybuilding magazines and books, sucking in as much knowledge as I could. I began to have that desire to have the look of those dudes you see in the iron publications. I wanted to be big, fast, strong, flexible, agile, you name it, I wanted it all. My passion for bodybuilding grew and grew as I continued to see progress in all the areas of fitness I wanted to achieve, as I learned and understood more about the science of the sport, as I matured in mind and body. The pain, the knowledge, the body of my dreams, it was like ecstasy to me, I wanted more! This is how I began.

But as I reminisced, I asked myself this, "Yeah you’re bigger, faster, and better-lookin' (yeah!), so what else did you get from lifting?". Well, for sure my mind has matured just by leaning the different sciences related to the sport. From reading about anatomy and physiology, nutrition, training, and whatnot, I finally was able to link everything that I’ve learned in school and use it to understand my craft. For example, I could understand and comprehend many terms by using inference from reading materials and remembering all those prefixes, suffixes, and terminologies that I learned in English. Plus, comprehending the body’s correlations and reactions was made easier by remembering how in chemistry and math, you need a certain value or substance to come up with a certain result. The same is with bodybuilding, take in a certain substance and you get certain physiological results, then take another substance and you can either amplify the result or come up with a completely different one. Like in math, bodybuilding has many variables. You need certain variables to come up with a particular result, just like when it comes to proving mathematical equations. My analytical skills in science and business math also came into play in the sport. I could trouble shoot my physiological problems with relative ease because I could pinpoint factors to the results I was getting. For example, in business math, your business may or may not succeed due to small factors such as the time you decide to sell or due to your selection of a target market. Sometimes, it’s hard to get more income, but all you need to do is review your strategy and pinpoint determining factors in your business. It is such with bodybuilding. When you plateau, you have to review your diet and training regimen and see what is right or wrong with each one and come up with a solution. Since I could apply what I learned in school after all these years to something that I truly loved such as bodybuilding, I finally found the pleasure of learning. I used to question if I’d actually be able to apply these "useless" school skills in real life, and I finally did in a very unusual and awesome way.

I still had one more question left for myself, "You know that man has a mind and body, but what happened to your soul?". That question to myself really struck me. I hate to be all good on the outside but rotten on the inside that’s why it tears me apart when I do something wrong, specially when it’s my fault, so I had to answer this question. After all, life’s fulfillments are not just physical but spiritual. First of all, I learned to work harder and be more disciplined. I’m not saying that I wasn’t hard-working or disciplined before, but this time, I put it all in full-effect 24/7, because I knew that I have dreams to chase and I ain’t stopping. I also related to people more easily because I was busy selling products and training people or simply giving advice to them, explaining several details to them, checking their progress, negotiating, even telling stories with them, and to my team, ministering God’s Word when time allows. I even got to know several young kids that I never talked to in school before who are now my students in P.E. I got to understand the minds of the young ones more and learn how to deal with them properly, since you can’t always treat the young like the way you do with grown-ups, because they often need more patience in dealing with. Plus, I think I’ve made some new friends in those little kids. Because of the iron lifestyle "job" I have, I was able to reach out and talk to many people that I never really talked to until I finished school. I kinda had a better social life, now that I’m more comfortable dealing with people. But the most important spiritual lesson I learned on this journey was faith. Back in high school, I had no idea what I wanted to be, pretty much because I didn’t believe in my full potential. I shunned the idea of scientific and mathematical courses for practical ones such as cooking or arts, because to me, those were easy and had easier subjects, yet I had no true passion for them. My dad found out about this problem and told me not to worry about the academics, follow your desire. I knew deep down that I was an athlete at heart so I thought a bit about going for a sport science course. But then, I still lacked faith in myself and applied for and art course in America and made it. I thought, "alright, this is it", but with very little enthusiasm, since this was not my true desire. I only chose that path because I underestimated myself and thought that doodling was all I could be good at. Then, it struck me that I must follow my heart’s calling, so I took an entrance exam to qualify for a sport science course at a local university. But guess what, I failed because I was unable to answer several items due to several missing pages in my exam questionnaire. I was heart-broken. I thought I found my calling yet couldn’t qualify. Because of this, I knew I could not do much to help myself, so I prayed so hard to God to give me a sign where to go. The answer I got was to keep trying and have faith, the time will come. I then searched endlessly for schools abroad and finally found a school in New Zealand. I told my parents about the school I found there and they contacted a foreign study agency to help me pick the right school in that country. But again I had to qualify for the spot. I took the IELTS exam and guess what, I got an 8.5 average in the written exam and 9 in the verbal exam, 9 being the highest possible score. It was such a blessing. I was accepted, then there seemed to be a change of plans that I may not be able to study there before I turn eighteen. But then we made an appeal, that I’d be eighteen one month after classes start. I waited for the answer of my acceptance for weeks, then it came. I was accepted! It was such a roller coaster ride of finding my path through faith.

Now, why do I go on? It’s simple. I have attained so much mentally, physically, and spiritually from the iron, so I can’t stop now, not when I feel so puked-up tired of a plain diet, not when my motivation is low because of the monotony of training, and not when I know there’s something for me to gain in this black-and-white dream. There’s so much to gain, so why back down? Ultimately, I go on because God gave me this gift of bodybuilding. Through His gift to me, I have been blessed to find and will continue to find so much more opportunities in this road I’ve taken in life. Because God gave me the gift of being in the sport, it’s a precious gift to me, a gift I’ll protect, a gift I’ll use with honor, a gift that I know is mine, and nobody can tell me otherwise. This is why I go on.

jandirigma
09-22-10, 10:44 am
Sometimes, stuff just goes wrong. It goes in ways you wouldn't want it to go, but you have no control over it. In my life, my body has always been holding me back. As a child, I was extremely sickly, now that I'm a bit older, my body has become no stranger to constant injuries, wrist, finger, and ankle sprains, near concussions in boxing among others. I've been hurt so many times that it's now normal to me, yet it holds me back from so many things I want to experience and accomplish. Because of things like these, I am unable to continue things I'd like to do, things I love. These circumstances lead me back to the drawing board and re-think my game plan in life.

Out of the numerous injuries and setbacks, my simple wrist problem could set me up for life. It got injured numerous times in the wrist from boxing. Because of that, I could not box for almost a year and had to step back form my first televised fight, complete with cash and sponsorship; my dream. Big setback. Then, I moved to bodybuilding. Now that I'm into a sport that has helped me find a job, a future career, and education, I am advised to pretty much stop lifting with my arm. If my wrist takes any more damage because of too much pressure, my career and education in sports science could suffer greatly due to the fact that my wrist will be used a lot in training and even coaching and if it doesn't take a break, I'll have the same clicking wrist for life.

I can't do this, I can't do that. Every time I become afflicted with some sort of serious physical pain, I have to step back from something that I love like fighting or lifting. So many restrictions that I can't stomach. It hurts to be pulled away from things you love doing especially if it is pretty much you livelihood and lifestyle.

But then, when I'm down, will I just stay down? Of course not! Everything happens for a reason. These kinds of pains and setbacks fuel my motivation. If I can't fight and lift like I used to, at least temporarily, then I'll improve myself in other ways. I'll become more durable, I'll work on my endurance, I'll cross-train, I'll do other training alternatives, I'll do whatever it takes to rise up and get back to doing what I love. I'll make myself a more well-rounded machine. Aside from the physical, I'll make myself more well-rounded as a person, mind, body, and soul. I'll read up as much relevant material as I can to help myself with my education, I'll also try to build on my other skills and find new skills to hone, and I'll try to be a better man. This ain't the end of the road for me. Painful times like these teach you to stand strong, to be creative, to start planning out your life, to try other things, to grow, to mature, and to start digging deep within yourself to find out what you've truly got. In pain, you find out if you're a coward or a warrior. I want to find out that I'm the latter. I'm not willing to drown in self-pity and die. There is always a solution, something else to do. Despite being deprived of many physical activities now, I have other options not just to enhance my body by cross-training, but to better my mind and soul. If there's something for me and I know it's beneficial, I'll take it. I believe God puts these pains and obstacles to teach me that there is more to improve on not just in body, but as a complete human. I also believe that he wants to divert my attention to other things beyond bodybuilding and training that I may have taken for granted. Perhaps he also wants me to be good at other training methods beyond strength-training! Anyway, I may be plagued by weakness, pain, and limitations because of my recurring conditions, but I know that there is still so much for me to look forward to, to achieve, to reach, and to experience. In weakness, I'll try to be stronger, smarter, better, the best I can be. Weakness only makes me seek strength more. Pain only makes me want to push through it. Limitations only make me seek to expand my boundaries. I am not willing to decline along with my condition, because I know that I can still go on and become even better despite the odds.

Let no obstacle, may it be physical, mental, or spiritual, hold you back from developing into a better human being. There is so much more to gain than what you may have lost. A roadblock in life does not mean the end, only an introduction to the beginning of something much better. So, why stop? Why stop at the beginning? The only time we'll stop is when we die. So for now, don't stop, keep going! You won't regret it!

jandirigma
10-01-10, 10:13 am
Every one needs balance in his life, specially enthusiastic bodybuilders. Often times, our minds our geared completely towards everything to do with our sport and we sometimes don't know it. If you have lofty goals like me, sometimes it's near impossible to have a second without thinking about the iron. This often leads us to miss out on life's other benefits and pleasures as I've learned recently. I was usually on my own, so I put all my effort into training, recuperating, studying anatomy, nutrition, physiology, and doing other stuff geared towards the iron game. While I do get to hang out with friends and family when the chance presents itself and have learned so much about life itself from the iron game, I sometimes missed on life's other pleasures besides immersing myself into my sport. Bottom line, there is a difference between dedication and outright obsession.

As bodybuilders, it is compulsory to live the lifestyle, monitoring your training and nutrition closely each day. Yet, as I've learned from Aggression on the Animal Pak forum, bodybuilding must not consume your life and that muscles can never replace life's simple pleasures and loved ones. I've fallen to that trap lately since having much time on my hands, I opted to totally focus on bodybuilding and the study of its science, specially because my course requires this knowledge. While doing these is not bad, overdoing things which seem productive can be counterproductive, a great and sad irony. In the end of obsession, you become robotic, you lose your creativity and interest at other things, you become less human. I became a bit too enthusiastic about iron that I ended up relentlessly immersing myself in every aspect of the game, until it was no longer really fun to me, but just a responsibility because my health, job, and education depended on it. This was a problem for some time. Learn from this mistake and save yourself from burning out of passion for the iron game and your life.

This week, as I've discovered, after my parents grounded me from attending an ABC, we kinda had a tear in our relationship because I couldn't take their decision, so I refused to make much contact with my folks, just for that matter. I loved the iron too much, that I briefly weakened our ties just because I didn't want to accept their decision. Once again, there is a difference between dedication to the sport and obsession. Sometimes, you have to accept that you must step back form the iron once in a while may it be imposed upon you by others (who make sense) or may it be a thought you may be considering. Believe me, and simple science proves that we need some rest and recreation to regain our bearings mentally and physically (decreased CNS fatigue and muscle soreness).

While we must strive to be the best bodybuilders, we must also seek balance in life so that we may find joy in life and be the best people we can be. There are many sacrifices to make in the iron lifestyle, but you need to know when it is time to step back and enjoy life and its many pleasures. I'm not saying over-indulge in pleasures and have mediocre training and nutrition, which is bad. I am saying that there is more to life than just bodybuilding. It is our lifestyle, but it is not our entire life. Muscles, as much as we love them, are superficial and will fade in time. It is loved ones and a worthwhile life that makes the most significance in the end. Balance your life. Cheers fellas!

jandirigma
10-29-10, 12:33 pm
Mission accomplished! I've helped introduce fitness, training, and nutrition to more than one hundred people during the year, most of them kids. I've got a lot of teens that I've taught and some adults too. For some, I introduced them to their first steps, for others, I either helped them get stronger on their paths or get them back on it. Heck, just today, I got my dad to marvel at bodybuilding as we watched Youtube together. And you guessed it, we started the video tour with Arnold. I'm happy that though I'm not yet certified as a trainer, I've been blessed with the success of reaching out to people through my passion. I've pulled out everything I've learned to cater to varying needs of the people, and it was tiring but really fulfilling making crash courses, workout plans, chasing and teaching more than a hundred kids a week, training and coaching teens and adults, teaching combat, it kinda wears me out. But then I know I have an important role to play in helping them make life a bit better. I just hope that throughout this year, I didn't just help people improve physically, but that I've blessed and helped them change their outlook on life and taught them important values. Physical improvement is nothing without a good mind and soul to go with it after all.

I also think that most of all, I've learned a lot from teaching others (ironic, eh?). I've learned to be more sociable and to deal with people properly, specially because I have to deal with people of several age groups and backgrounds. I've learned to be more analytical too by having to craft programs to accurately address needs or problems that I have to pinpoint with my clients. My brain sure got a workout! Through my job, I've finally applied everything I've learned in school from the analytical skills in business math, the science in biology and chemistry, determining of factors and causes and accurate calculation through the various maths, it all came together for me this year. I also learned to enjoy life's simplicity through teaching and talking with children that I teach. Being with them, kinda transports me into my yesterdays as a kid, and it makes you look back and realize how blessed you really are since they seem to find joy in even the smallest thing as having a box to play with. I've also realized the value of humility and service to others. I've learned to value people. Life is too good to feed pride and no one but yourself. Other people matter. A life kept to oneself has no fulfillment after all. This year has also enabled me to do my research and study hard on my own so that I may help myself and teach others more accurately and efficiently. It's been mind-numbing to study physiology, anatomy, nutrition, zoology, etc., without any guidance and apply what I've learned, but it was worth it. Call it advanced study for my course and career! I also became more conscious of guarding my integrity, since I supervise many people. I learned that it simply isn't right to lead so many people if you have no reign over yourself. I often don't make money out of what I do, but it's the lessons and experiences, as well as the opportunity to help that counts. Those are priceless.

My job isn't done. This is just the beginning of the task laid upon me. I wish that I keep on the straight path myself as I try to help others to do the same.This is my job and my passion to train and teach, yet in reality, I am just an instrument needed to make the magic happen. For what I've accomplished, I cannot take full credit, for I am but a servant to make this possible.

Udele
10-30-10, 2:31 am
Good story.Keep doing what you are doing.And thanks for posting it here.
Ali.

jandirigma
10-30-10, 9:06 am
Good story.Keep doing what you are doing.And thanks for posting it here.
Ali.

Thanks bro! I'll keep at it, man!

jandirigma
01-25-11, 7:09 am
I don't have much to say, but I wanna be thorough. If we want to be iron warriors, simply be one (though it's not as simple as it really is). Live like a real one, train, eat, sleep, and do your homework like a real warrior should and would. We gotta stay true to the game, the lifestyle, the iron, the blood, sweat, and tears.

Real life requires sacrifices, and so does the iron life. Sometimes the best choices are hard to make or squeeze in due to inconvenience, but they have to be made, because they make us harder, stronger, they make us what we strive to be. Sometimes it's crazy to eat the same old crap for ages, but if it works and if you know it's the best for you, do it. Sacrifice, my brothers, is the often necessary yet inconvenient element of success.

Training (heck, even eating) and life's struggles can choke us out, but some way, somehow, we've got to get back up. Sometimes we need a breather from the turmoil and step back, but we must never step down and lie down in defeat. Through pain, we push through, because this is what champions are made of. Most of us may never make it on stage and become champions, but winning the game of life in and out of the gym makes us real champions in our own right.

Strive for excellence in your training, dieting, sleeping, do your research, do the work. It's hard juggling these things among others, yet it must be done. This game isn't played only on a court or a ring, it's on 24/7. You're in the game when you go to bed, walk out the door, or head to the gym. You must be willing to play this thing all day or else, give up on it. This is hardcore living. Not many are chosen to walk this road, yet we, brothers, are the selected few. At the same time you live the hardcore lifestyle, live life; your life. Though we must go hard with the iron, it's worth mentioning to any enthusiastic warrior that you've gotta live life outside the gym to the fullest while you dedicate yourself to the iron. Though the iron is our lifestyle, it's not our whole life. There are moments, experiences, and people to cherish outside the concrete walls of our iron dungeons.

Live like an iron warrior, live like a champion, live like an Animal. Simply be.

jandirigma
01-26-11, 8:24 am
Aggression is a necessary element in all serious pursuits worth pursuing such as war with the weights. Call it zeal, or enthusiasm, but aggression is something else. It may not be always a feeling of anger as some may put it, but an "intense and unrelenting desire to persevere, attacking opportunities like a rabid dog", as I like to call it. It is to be willing to make the necessary sacrifices and endure the ever-present torment that your training and life requires. You must have that intense fire burning within you to push through pain and emerge victorious. You must have that burning desire and rage to get to your goals at any cost necessary. You must fan the flame that gets you going with the dirty work like a madman. Without this inner rage, chances are, we're not trying hard enough.

Anyone who has at least once, locked horns with another man in combat knows the feeling of preserving his own well-being at the expense of the other who plans to do the same to him. Though the odds may be stacked against you in combat, though you may be bleeding, suffering, clinging on for dear life, you bite back and cling on to hopes of victory like a rabid pitbull. The adrenaline gives you that extra strength and numbs the pain, it keeps you on your toes, keeps you from falling into the hands of defeat. It's this animal instinct of pure rage that keeps warriors alive and this adrenaline rush has a lot to do with it. This is the kind of unstoppable, animalistic fury that must be unleashed in the appropriate environment; the gym. In this case, the iron is your enemy. It wants to deliver pain upon you, delivering burning sensations coursing through your very fibers, trying to keep that bright red blood of yours pulsing through you like crazy. Despite the enemy's merciless onslaught, you don't give up. That inner rage drives you to grab a hold of the iron like an anaconda clinching onto its prey, not giving up, not turning back, not willing to accept defeat. You will never defeat the iron, yet you can survive it and leave the gym a stronger man when you've got enough of that pent-up aggression to unleash on the iron. Use this animal instinct wisely. You may never get the iron to beg for mercy, but you can fight trying, as long as there's a little fury in ya. Let the adrenaline and intensity propel you to be a freak, a monster, an animal. You'll be surprised what a little more intensity can do for ya.

As far as life is concerned, live with unrelenting fury. I say not simply "zeal", but "fury". You've gotta have passion to persevere in life, plus it makes things all the more worth pursuing if you have that extra bit of passion and enthusiasm. But I say, not simply "passion" but "aggression". Keep up the hard and dirty work in your endeavors. Cling to it through the thick and thin, knowing that each drop of blood shed equals a bucket-full of victory for you. The rewards of the dirty work may not always be in material wealth, but you may have made yourself an even stronger man through the experiences that shaped you by living life with that unrelenting intensity. Many men after all can end up richer, but not all can end up stronger. Take nothing in life for granted, since you'll never know when you'll never see tomorrow. Because of this sad fact, live every freakin' day as if doomsday would come in an hour, don't go around wasting and neglecting your life. Live it with aggression!

jandirigma
03-08-11, 4:52 pm
It seems as though I can never take my mind and myself off the iron. So many things have changed, but the iron remains. I'm currently miles away from my homeland to pursue a deeper understanding of the iron. I am away from everything I have grown to love to find myself oceans away to fulfill a dream. Each day, I dream of heading into that school gym or garage to inflict pain upon myself. I dream of heading into another lecture to find out more, to gain more knowledge. I also dream of all the possibilities that may become possible when I have acquired all the knowledge necessary to master the craft of iron; what I can do for myself and what I can give back to others.What boundaries I can push, what impossibilities I can turn into possibilities. I never thought that reading a post by Machine two years ago would have sparked something in me that would be an influential part of bringing me to this far away land to pursue deeper knowledge of the game. I never thought that I, a kid who was hesitant to lift at first and wanted to continue fighting instead, would end up doing the exact opposite today. It's been a long and storied journey. It started with iron.

Now I find myself forever bound to the iron no matter the day, month, year, situation, condition, whatever. When I was injured and couldn't fight, I found myself with the iron. That was my first time. I stuck with it and have grown as a man since then, not just in brawn, but mind. When I can't find anything uplifting or motivating, anything to keep my mind busy or at least entertained, the iron always pulls the right strings to get me going. Sometimes I have grown sick of the iron, but then I can't stop wanting it. I don't know why. Perhaps I don't like it...I love it. Perhaps it turns on that primal instinct to hoist something and destroy it. Perhaps it makes me anticipate the aftermath that I'll see in the mirror the next day. Perhaps it's just part of who I am now. Perhaps I've taken huge measures like leaving the country to pursue it, that I can't afford to back off from it. Maybe that's why even when I get sick and tired of seeing it, I still find myself drawn back to it regardless of the feeling. Now that I'm injured again and cannot fight, one thing is the same...I'm gonna lift. When I was back in the homeland and now that I'm in a foreign land, I lift. When I read something, when I dream of something, when I study something, when I watch a video the iron seems to be the focal point. What keeps my juices flowing, my heart pumping, my body aching, my soul strong, my being enthusiastic, seems to be the iron. Many things change, but the iron stays the same. For all I know, I could lose a leg, but that wouldn't keep me away from a lift. It seems strange, but the iron is always lurking in every situation I seem to find myself in. Whether I'm in the homeland, far away, tired, bored, happy, pissed, injured, healthy, or just plain normal, it's there and I find myself drawn to it. It is definitely not life, but a huge part of mine, that is why I can't abandon it. Obviously, it is not life's sole focus, as it is not all life has to offer, but it is so engraved into mine that it is a constant, a factor, a necessity in my life.

It seems to be ever-present. No matter what has happened to me, I always find it lurking in the shadow, and I crave it. It is both enemy and friend, trying to bring you pain and at the same trying to do you some good. It is both a destroyer and builder, tearing your body with each rep yet making you stringer after. It is something that I hate yet love all at once. Sometimes it's on my mind so much that I hate it, yet I keep coming back for more to satisfy my hunger. It is both cruel and kind. It hurts you but you know you like it. The iron is complex yet simple. It is just a simple object, yet there are so many implications, applications, and methods of using it. It is many things yet it remains the same. No matter the event, no matter the feeling, no matter reason, it's always there, whether you hate it, like it, or love it. I know I crave it...you do too. It is iron.

dmaipa
03-09-11, 6:46 pm
great entries brother..keep em coming

stay strong. Aloha

jandirigma
03-09-11, 9:30 pm
great entries brother..keep em coming

stay strong. Aloha

Thanks, bro. Will do.

jandirigma
03-24-11, 12:02 am
Today in school, we had a little group session with my Sport Performance classmates. We were asked if we were able to balance our time and if we do manage out time well, why. While listening to some of the guys share their stories about what drives them, why they manage their time so well despite being so busy out of school, and others, it made me think to myself, "what drives you?".

I believe that passion is my main fuel. Without passion, there is no motivation to continue what can often be deemed as a long and boring road. Perhaps it's the reason why I don't see studying as such a burden, because I see it's significance, I'm doing what I love, I'm doing what I'm meant to do, and I know that I must prepare well. What really drives me is that plain old love for what I do; train. It's that passion that led me to spend one year in the Philippines while waiting to come to NZ to be on my own in order to pursue my dream, to do voluntary research, to test and share my knowledge with different clients for free, teach P.E. in school for virtually no salary, to train and eat to stay strong, to prepare a year ahead of my course under my own will, to sacrifice myself for what I love to do. Without that passion, I wouldn't have done most of these things, therefore finding this course that I'm taking a bit more difficult, since I would be pretty clueless if I didn't do my homework ahead of time. It's that same love that continues to drive me to study ahead of my field in the pursuit of knowledge, not because I'm required to do it, but because I want to and I know that it'll benefit me. To be honest, I often get info overload and end up forgetting lots of what I've studied on my own, but the things that I learn help me so much. It's passion that leads you to believe that what you're doing or studying isn't worthless and burdensome, no matter how childishly simple or how incredibly complex they might be. Passion is fuel.

I think what also keeps me going, what keeps me trying my very best to be the best that I can be is the fact that my family and I have made great financial and emotional sacrifices to get me to this point. I don't want to dishonor them by slacking off. People rely on me to make the most of the opportunities given to me, and I rely on myself to make the best of the opportunities given so that I may grasp newer and greater ones. I want to bring honor to myself, my loved ones, fellow Animals, and God through hard work. I don't wanna let them or myself down and I can't.

Lastly, I believe that what keeps me going is the fact that I wanna be the best I can be. I want to feel worthy of something. I wanna feel that I've accomplished something, that is why I do my best to remain diligent in my field no matter the situation. If I don't work hard, I'm setting myself up for failure. Studying and training is like preparing for a fight. If you don't work hard and if you're under-prepared, you'll get yourself slaughtered. If I don't prepare well, then I don't perform well. If I prepare to be good, that's good. But to prepare and strive to be great can make you great, and that's what I seek to achieve. I want to see what I am capable of and I'll never see that if I don't make the necessary sacrifices first, by means of hard work.

Brothers, stay strong in your pursuits. It's not easy climbing your way to the top, but through perseverance, hard work, and most importantly, passion, the best is yet to come. The sacrifices you make will make the prize even sweeter. The pain you've been through makes the accomplishment much more satisfying. After all, nothing beats the feeling of reaching something you know you deserve. It's a long and often nasty road, but we've got to pave the way smooth with our bare hands to make it through, and make it through we will!

jandirigma
03-24-11, 12:36 am
I've been thinking a lot about wisdom, just in the solice of my own meditation. As I was thinking, I've come up with several thoughts that I hope will uplift you, the iron warrior, both in and out of the confines of the gym. I hope that these words will be like little nuggets of wisdom that will bring much inspiration to you. Stay strong my brothers, stay solid.

"Life is like lifting iron. It's hard getting started, getting it to move, and it hurts getting to the top. But at the top, you realize that it was worth the pain."

"It is not wrong to be different. In a world that lives by dishonor, it wouldn't hurt to turn the other way."

"To be under-prepared is to under-achieve. To prepare well and be good is good enough. To strive for greatness is to be great."

"Those who are above their heads eventually go under it. Those who lay low shall rise up."

"In life and lifting, strive for failure to reach success."

"Iron is a lifestyle, but it is not your entire life."

"A man who forgets his roots is like a tree without a firm foundation. He is easily swayed and eventually crashed down."

"You'll never make it alone all the way, in the same way that an army cannot win war with just one soldier. Never forget those who helped you on the journey."

"Respect is the one of the things that have no price yet is priceless. You can beat a man into submission and not get any respect from him. You can try to force people to give it to you, but then you'll never receive it. Respect begets respect."

"To take a step back and fight another day is not defeat. But to quit and never come back is defeat."

"If you face fear, fear itself will learn not to face you."

"Go hard at the present to make it easy in the future."

"Without a solid mind, the body cannot reach it's full potential. Without a solid body, the mind has nothing to create potential."

"Man is not just body. Man is not just mind. Man is not just soul. Man is all these. Be complete."

"It is better to be brave by standing for what is right than to be a coward who stoops down to what is wrong."

"There's more to life than what you know. There's more to life than what you have realized. There is more to life than what you expect."

"An open mind opens new doors."

"To stop learning is to kill wisdom. To kill wisdom is to fail. To fail is the end of victory."

"A true man is not made by fame. A true man is not made by his riches. A true man is not made by his appearance or clothes. A true man is not made by his accomplishments. A true man already knows he is one."

"Many things can be bought but can eventually wither and become worthless. Strong values cannot be bought, cannot be stolen, cannot be destroyed, and never lose worth."

"To give half the effort is to get half the result."

"Being tough is as much a thing of the mind and soul than it is of flesh."

jandirigma
03-30-11, 4:26 am
Being a warrior is not merely a state of physical skill in relation to combat, but the formation of mental toughness and spiritual solidity. Warriors are made not by fame. They are not made by how many people know their names or what they've done. They are not made by their pedigree. True warriors are forged through the countless hours of working, sweating, bleeding, thinking, dreaming, and going at it all over again.

They are made by qualities such as determination, perseverance, and honor. A warrior does not look for the easiest way to the top because it doesn't exist, yet he simply looks for a way to get there. He works tirelessly, knowing that each step he takes is a step closer to reaching the ever elusive finish line. Each beating he takes makes him stronger to beat down his opponent even harder. The warrior is not always seen on tv or out in the open. He is in the trenches. He is in the shadows toiling. He is made when nobody is looking. He scratches his way to victory, not for fame, money, or wealth, but honor. He does it for the love of his "warfare".

Sometimes a warrior may be on his knees. This is inevitable. Everyone gets on their knees when strife overcomes them in the midst of life's wars. The ordinary man, will stay on his knees forever, but a true warrior will look for ways to get up. It is this mentality that a warrior must have, in order to carry out his mission to reach victory.

Now, a true warrior is not one to boast or showboat what he is good at. This doesn't mean that he can't display his skill, but to shove it in the face of those who cannot do better is a shame and a dishonor for he must know that he too has weaknesses that the "weak" so to speak can best him at. A showboat "warrior" is not a true soldier but merely an ordinary thug who can only stand up to those weaker than him. A man can be a great weapon, but not a perfect one, though. The warrior is confident in his strengths, but acknowledges his weaknesses. This is not cowardice, merely acceptance of reality. He however, will strive to make those weaknesses into strengths.

Lastly, a true warrior may not be able to fight forever, yet he is still a warrior in spirit. The body may fail, but the spirit must fight on. Sometimes the warrior may seek another path in life, another trade, yet he remains an indomitable soul, a force to be reckoned with, because he chooses to move on and conquer another battlefield. The body may fail, and it is inevitable, even circumstances that promote change are inevitable. The warrior, ever adaptable, adjusts to his circumstances just as he selects the necessary weapons needed to destroy his foes and adapts strategy to meet the wiles of the enemy. In other words, he may not be fighting any longer, but "war" for him goes on when he no longer walks the battlefields.

Be a warrior not just in body, but in mind, and in soul. Fight.

zubda345
04-16-11, 2:24 am
Love it!

zubda345
04-16-11, 2:26 am
Another thing to be added, "A warrior is one who can control his anger..."

I believe, Mentally if U r a warrior no doubt u r a warrior physically aslo...

jandirigma
04-16-11, 3:19 am
Another thing to be added, "A warrior is one who can control his anger..."

I believe, Mentally if U r a warrior no doubt u r a warrior physically aslo...

Amen to that, bro. War starts in the mind after all, then the body does the rest. Plus, it's sometimes harder to be mentally tough, harder to subdue yourself than to subdue your opponent. He who fights with his mind and wins, can defeat many enemies.

zubda345
04-16-11, 10:16 am
Yeah Mind is a mean thing....

jandirigma
05-15-11, 12:59 am
Life is like a fight. Everyday you must be prepared to wake up fresh and ready or be forever sprawled on the bed. Each day, sacrifices great and small are to be taken to complete the bigger picture of reaching your goals in order to conquer your greatest enemy; yourself. Like marching to battle, you must first have a battleplan. Planning each meal, watching your numbers in the gym, and re-assessing everything, the way a general would adjust to the wiles of the enemy. Each day is a beatdown, a struggle. There will be times you'll feel sick as if someone gave you a one-two to the gut. There will be some times when you'll have to roll with your weapons to war than enjoy a moment of peace. There will be times when you'll feel like your suffering in the barracks of iron.

But think of it. If you keep pushing forward, like a gladiator, you will fight through and make it to "freedom"...your objective. There will be times of peace, when we can feel free to enjoy and savor the beauty of life, but when it's time for war, we fight! We march through, heaving, pushing, pulling, breaking, in an effort to see a job well done in a battlefield littered with iron. A life of training won't always be pretty, but some things have to be done when they have to be done. This is war with iron, we're the soldiers. Move forward troops...