PDA

View Full Version : Interesting interview with Dr. Greg Ellis

Girevik 69
03-08-10, 10:22 am
Here's an interesting interview with Dr. Greg Ellis, regarding his ideas on the ideal diet:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler11.htm

I have to wonder what a vegan strength athlete like Mike Mahler really thinks of Dr. Ellis's ideas, but Ellis certainly appears to be a good representative for his approach--he does often sound cocky/condescending, though.

NJC_Manhattan
03-08-10, 10:53 am
Ha I agree with the cocky sounding responses and at times he completely dismisses the other schools of thought as 'garbage'.

Yet, it was a very interesting article. I think he addresses a great point that a lot of subject matter on nutrition/supplements are subjective rather than objective.

Girevik 69
03-08-10, 11:11 am
Ha I agree with the cocky sounding responses and at times he completely dismisses the other schools of thought as 'garbage'.

Yet, it was a very interesting article. I think he addresses a great point that a lot of subject matter on nutrition/supplements are subjective rather than objective.

Given the fact that there are top-notch athletes/physical culturalists from both extremes, I think it simply shows the adaptability of **** sapiens to different diets, and that adaptability is the point that the extremists (eg., vegan, paleo, et al) all too often overlook.

For example, vegans argue that, after childhood, we shouldn't have dairy, and that we certainly shouldn't be consuming the dairy of other animals. Paleo diet advocates, while they obviously clash with vegans on the issue of meat, agree that dairy is no good--the consensu is that we're supposed not "meant" for dairy.

How, then, do the vegans and paleo diet advocates explain long-lived and hardy European and Eurasian groups, like the Georgians, who rely on culured milk products like yogurt?

FITGYM
03-08-10, 11:20 am
The biggest problem with diet is everyone is different and what works for me might not work for you.

Eat clean-Eat smart-Get sleep

Girevik 69
03-08-10, 11:23 am
The biggest problem with diet is everyone is different and what works for me might not work for you.

Exactly.

NJC_Manhattan
03-08-10, 11:36 am

I remember speaking with a nutritionist at Columbia University regarding specific food per genetic make up. At first I thought the conversation was completely worthless because I thought every body has similar make up, thus there can't be a large deviation in food/drink effects on the body.

Then she put me in my place. Example one, Native Americans livers not being able to process alcohol in the same way as European descendants. Example two, 18-19th century farmers who lived on nothing but eggs, meats, and dairy who outlived most people and had incredible genetic makeup. Example three, empirical evidence that each person has specific needs based on genetic history, current health, and other sources.