PDA

View Full Version : Training With Vinny...

Mr. Dead
03-08-10, 10:50 pm
This experience was so awesome I felt it needed it's own thread separate from my other one... Where to begin... Stolzenator and I were fortunate enough to get picked to train with Vinny, in the "Train With the Animals" Promo... Let me tell you, I was filled with joy, nervous excitement, and maybe a little bit of fear... *LOL*

We all met at Metro, Saturday night, for the ABC... And let me tell you... School was in session!!! Vinny was right there, from the "get go"... First off, it was lying leg curls... 1st set, no problem... Or so I thought... Vinny then gave me the tip of relaxing my feet, to put more emphasis on the trained area... He also taught myself my new mantra... "I'm stronger than I think I am"...

After a few more sets, it was off to the leg extension... Here, I learned to go from my hips, to put more emphasis on the quads... He also had one more gem in store for me... I started to struggle on some sets, and on the last set, he had me go back to one of the weights I was struggling with... Boom!!! I was nailin' it, no problem!!! (Hence my new mantra... *LOL*) From there we went to the Hack Squat... Here's where it started to go South for me... Or so I thought... First off... I'd never really done Hack Squats... He helped me get my feet positioned right, and I began... He then corrected me, with keeping my knees from flaring out... Curling the toes up... And pushing back, instead of up (Which really got things moving...) Now what I haven't mentioned, is that after my first set, me knee flared up... Vinny asked me what I wanted to do... So, we took the weight off, and I did it with just the sled... His patience during this, was incredible...

Then, it was off to the leg press... This, I thought I had down... Nope... School was still in session!!! More instruction on foot placement... Which was easier on the knee and more functional...

After that, it was off to an exercise that I'd never done before, nor ever even seen... Basically, you got into the Hack Squat apparatus, and did the same bio mechanics as a "Good Morning"... Vinny let me give it a go... (It will be in my own routines, now...)

The knowledge I got from this, was truly priceless... A HUUUGE thanks goes out to Vinny, for taking the time to share this knowledge and his infinite patience with me!!! I also want to thank Universal/Animal, for giving us this incredible opportunity!!! I hope this continues for many, many years, as I know that this memory will last a lifetime...

Moe Bigsley
03-08-10, 11:04 pm
Hey Bro, I saw you guys doin that (we were over blastin chest), and i guess i thought that was some kinda "good morning machine" or something LOL!! That looked cool...did it blast your hamstrings? Or was it straight up lower back? Just askin cause i've never seen that before either...damn, wish i'd have walked over and checked that out!! Anyway, if you don't care, describe how you worked that, i'd like to try it. Thanks!

Mr. Dead
03-08-10, 11:09 pm
Hey Bro, I saw you guys doin that (we were over blastin chest), and i guess i thought that was some kinda "good morning machine" or something LOL!! That looked cool...did it blast your hamstrings? Or was it straight up lower back? Just askin cause i've never seen that before either...damn, wish i'd have walked over and checked that out!! Anyway, if you don't care, describe how you worked that, i'd like to try it. Thanks!

It hit the hams... It's kind of hard to describe, but I'll give it a shot... Basically you put your forehead where the back of your head normally goes, for Hack Squats... Get your feet back, to where your heels are near the top edge of the plate, bend down, and then raise up, keeping your hamstrings tight...

Vinny G
03-09-10, 6:22 am
Mr. Dead, i'm glad that you walked away with a great experience.

it was a pleasure meeting and training with you, and remember...you ARE stronger than you think you are.

Moe Bigsley
03-09-10, 11:16 pm
I appreciate the info bro, i'll give them a try this week.

NaturalTrainee
03-10-10, 10:39 am
I would also love to train with Vinny, your post reveals how perfect his movements and bodybuilding mentality are.

J-Dawg
03-10-10, 10:44 am
Sounds like you learned a lot from this opportunity Mr. Dead. Getting trained by Vinny is no joke. He knows his stuff.

Mr. Dead
03-10-10, 11:28 am
Sounds like you learned a lot from this opportunity Mr. Dead. Getting trained by Vinny is no joke. He knows his stuff.

I learned tons!!! And, was a sponge for any tidbit, he gave out... I've followed his career, for quite some time... And, have "talked" online with him, from bodyspace, to myspace, to here, and even facebook...

DANO
03-10-10, 8:41 pm
Good things happen to good people! Deadman, i am so happy you got this opportunity... because you will learn from this and be all the better for it.

Mr. Dead
03-11-10, 11:28 am
Good things happen to good people! Deadman, i am so happy you got this opportunity... because you will learn from this and be all the better for it.

Thanks!!! I had a hell of a time explaining my experience to my co-workers who aren't into going to the gym... But found the best analogy of this to be that it was a Bodybuilder's version of "Fantasy Camp"... That, they understood... *LOL*

smoothballer
03-11-10, 1:14 pm
Hey Deadman. Thanks for the great write-up on your experience with Vinny. In reading it, it makes me question the form of some of my leg exercises. Obviously you can't show me the foot placement for the leg press, but I was hoping you could attempt to describe it to me. Thanks brother.

Mr. Dead
03-11-10, 1:18 pm
Hey Deadman. Thanks for the great write-up on your experience with Vinny. In reading it, it makes me question the form of some of my leg exercises. Obviously you can't show me the foot placement for the leg press, but I was hoping you could attempt to describe it to me. Thanks brother.

Thanks!!! I'll give it my best shot, to describe it... Feet were close to shoulder width apart, maybe even slightly closer... Feet pointing straight up and down... (I have a natural tendency to point them out a bit...) And, in between the mid to lower portion of the platform... Hope this helps...

smoothballer
03-11-10, 2:23 pm
Thanks!!! I'll give it my best shot, to describe it... Feet were close to shoulder width apart, maybe even slightly closer... Feet pointing straight up and down... (I have a natural tendency to point them out a bit...) And, in between the mid to lower portion of the platform... Hope this helps...

Yup, that helps. I was most concerned with how far up my feet should be up on the platform and how wide of a stance. When I go deep, my ass tends to come up and I have felt some lower back pain in the past. I figure I must be doing something wrong. It is always great to get advice from the professionals. I will definitely be entering to train with a pro next year if Animal does it.