PDA

View Full Version : Phil800101's Cage Experience Part 2

Phil800101
03-09-10, 12:36 am
Saturday

Got up good and early. Didn't get enough sleep, but that's the norm for the Expo weekend. Ate, and headed to the Cage. I was really excited, and a little nervous, as this was my day to work. My Chicago brothers could definitely see this with the speed in which I hauled ass from the car to the Expo hall. Met up with mjsef88 and Mr. Dead again, and waited to get in. As soon as they opened up I shot straight to the Cage and reported to J-Dawg, who hooked me up with my uniform. My hands were almost trembling as I put it on...brothers and sisters, this was truly a dream come true for me. Never in my wildest dreams when I first visited the Cage back in 2007 did I think that only three years later would I be proudly wearing a Cage uniform and working side by side with the Animal crew. I stepped out from the back with my head held high and got to work...I knew it was going to be a long day, and even though I was already tired it didn't matter, as I was on cloud fucking nine. My boy Poptarts81 cranking up the Ice Cube in the Cage just completed the moment. I was so pumped I could barely stand still.

I covered the box, doing the same thing I did on Friday. I was on one side while my man The Anti-Asian was covering the other, all while Inkdmuscle helped keep the lifting contest run smoothly. As things settled down a bit, I drifted out and took post by the entrance to the Cage, just hanging out and keeping an eye on things. I answered people's questions as they came by, handed out schedules, and shot the shit with various Forvm members and Expo visitors. I was standing there with Big Byrd when we saw flashbulbs and cameras galore down the aisle. That, and the Secret Service guys stopping by the booth confirmed it...Arnold was near!

We all started gathering by the corner where Arnold was going to stop for his photo. I looked over at Jeff Rhodes (my man from Universal Midwest), not sure if it would be cool or not if I got in on the picture. I mean, I was just an intern, and I didn't want to step on any toes or anything. Jeff looked at me and said "Arnold's coming! Get in there Phil!" and that was all I needed. I joined the crowd at the far end, joking around with the Juggernaut as we anxiously awaited the Oak's arrival. My heart was racing, I couldn't believe that I was about to possibly meet the man himself. Berfore I knew it, he was coming around the corner and I was pushed forward. Arnold turned around to face the camera, the crowd behind him parting as he stepped into the Cage. As luck would have it, I wound up right next to him, literally shoulder to shoulder! I could hardly fucking believe it, I was going to be right next to one of my hero's when they took the official Cage photo! I don't normally smile in photos, but I was grinning like a damn moron when that flasbulb went off. Naturalguy was lucky enough to get a photo with him on his camera (I think), and as soon as they finished I shot my hand out...I shook the man's hand and told him that I was a big fan. He thanked me, and shook some more hands. Mere seconds later he thanked us for his hard work and was on his way.

At this point what had just happened sunk in...I JUST MET ARNOLD! I was practically jumping up and down. My hands were shaking as I texted some friends. I was so excited, I popped around and told a few bros what had happened. I still can hardly believe it. I can not wait to see that photo, hopefully I'll get to see it sooner rather than later. Anyway, at this point there was a slight lull, so I melted into the melee and made the hazardous trek to the can. When I got back the booth was picking up, so I jumped in behind the counter and started helping out. I was answering questions and selling gear...stuff was flying off the shelves, and it seemed like I was almost constantly going back and forth to drop off money and/or make change for people. So far I had missed every event of the day, but I didn't mind so much as this was the opportunity of a lifetime. Hours flew by as I hustled back and forth. It was hard work, but I loved every minute of it. I couldn't help but smile every time I went over to get change from/give money to Juggernaut at the cash box, as we were messing with each other from time to time and making the work fun. I mean, we were all busting our asses back there, but our spirits were high and we were having fun. Eventually The Anti-Asian came over and traded places with me. I took this opportunity to get some food down and catch some of Ox's seminar. After eating I stepped back out and held down the fort at the entrance again, eventually taking a break to step out of the Expo hall and find a bathroom that wasn't a serious biohazard.

I came back from my sojourn feeling about ten pounds lighter and with a spring in my step. Around this time Byrd was getting ready to squat, and I was not going to miss out on that. I scoped out a good spot for myself and watched the man get to work. With each progressive set the energy inside and around that Cage grew and grew. Once again, my man came through on the stereo, blasting the right music to set the mood and get everyone fired up. I'm proud to say that it was my Zune that was providing the soundtrack as Big Byrd was in that rack just flat out killing it. I repositioned myself in the corner for a better vantage point, yelling and screaming while also waving to get the crowd to make some noise. The sheer raw energy in the air was palpable, and when Sam smoked first that 730 and then the 765 I thought we were going to blow the roof off of the place. Afterwards I congratulated him on his amazing performance, and he in turn thanked us for the music choices, which was cool...I'm glad we were able to help him out in some way.

As Tiny stepped back into the Cage I resumed a position behind the counter, selling stuff and helping out. Time was flying by, and there was no sign of anything slowing down. It was more of the same, hustling back and forth, and I was loving every damn minute of it.

At one point, The Anti-Asian and I were standing there when this father and his young son came up. The father grabbed his son the poster we were passing out, and the kid was looking at it in awe. I looked down at the little guy and asked him if he wanted to meet the guy in the poster, since he was right over there. I pointed Ox out, and this kid's eyes went as wide as saucers. He was kinda shaking his head no, but I told him that Evan was really nice and I stepped out and led them over there. We waited while Ox talked to some guys, and I made small talk with them. When he was done I got Ox's attention and told him that there was a fan that wanted to meet him. Ox waved the kid over, squatted down to introduce himself, and then signed the kid's poster (and take a picture I think). He walked away proudly holding that poster, smiling from ear to ear. The kid's father shook my hand as he looked me in the eye and thanked me, and the look in his eyes said it all. That was honestly one of the coolest moments of the weekend for me, being able to make that little guy happy and show him and his dad what Animal is all about, not to mention what makes us different than the other booths.

Before I knew it the Expo was closing, and we were selling right up until the last minute. We sold out of a lot of stuff, I was honestly surprised at how relatively little we had left by the end of the day. The last customers cleared out, and then I helped to clean up and put stuff away for the day. When we had everything put away I asked G if he needed anything else, and he told me that it was all good so I headed out to grab some food before the ABC. I grabbed a sandwich and just chilled in my car killing time. Before long it was almost 8, so I changed in my car and headed into the gym. I bullshitted with people while I waited for my supps to kick in, and pretty soon I was good to go. I blasted my back, flying solo but working in with people at times. I hit it hard and fast, manuevering around a gym that was wall to wall Animal! I have never seen that place as crowded, it was one hell of a sight. I finished up and hung out, waiting for the grub to arrive. We all got together for the group shot, which was no easy feat. Afterwards the said that the food was good to go, so I practically raced up those stairs with a few other guys...what can I say, I was hungry! Headed downstairs with my plate, and damn did that meal hit the spot...that shit was good! I hung out for awhile and talked with my brothers and sisters in iron, saying goodbyes to those who I wouldn't see in the Cage the next day.

After awhile we mounted up and headed back to our room. Hit the hot tub again and talked about the Expo with some cool guys from Milwaukee. Nothing like a nice soak after a good workout. Afterwards I showered and packed, getting ready for the final day of the Expo.

Sunday

Got up balls early, but that's the way it goes. Packed up, checked out, and headed for the Expo. Parked and went to the Hyatt for breakfast with the Cage crew. I sat with Littleman55, BCon, Dannynb & Michelle, J-Dawg, Big Ant, and Steve Kuclo. Breakfast was damn good, not to mention very healthy. Had a great time just hanging out and talking. Pretty soon we all headed off, as the Expo was close to opening. I got in, dropped my stuff in The Box, and immediately went hit the can before things got nuts. Went to check out some booths I wanted to see, but made sure to be back at The Cage in time to see the Skiba's demo.

Skiba and his crew were cool as hell! They're really nice guys, and they put on one hell of a demo. Really crazy stuff. Those guys went balls-to-the-wall and really pushed themselves to the limit.

After that it was the final Pros vs Bros, which was insane as well. Everybody really pushed themselves to their absolute limit, and just like on Friday it was really inspiring to see people doing that.

And then it was time for one of my favorite parts of The Cage each year, G-Diesel's Sunday seminar. I really identify with G and look up to him, not only in his approach to training, but in his approach to life in general as well. So, I always look forward to hearing what the man has to say, although it did suck that Wrath wasn't able to make it this year. Regardless, adapt and overcome is the name of the game, and I think the whole roundtable approach worked really well. It was great stuff as always, and I took something away from it just like I do every year.

After that wrapped up, Hoss came in and squatted, which was fucking mind blowing! The man worked his way up and smoked 900 for 3 reps, which was completely insane. Totally crazy weight, and I had a great seat for it.

After that we took the group photo in The Cage. After that some people had to catch flights, so I madwe my way around and said my goodbyes to everybody. Sundays are always bittersweet...there's awesome shit going on, but at the same time it's sad to see it all end and knowing that it will be a whole year before I'll be there again. Anyway, to end the day we helped ghost and mjsef88 carry the boxes and chains to their car, said our final goodbyes, and headed off on our way. The ride home was long, and most of us (myself included) slept for a good portion of it. We got home later than we had planned, but it was all worth it.

In Closing...

First and foremost, a HUGE thank you to Animal/Universal and to everyone who makes the Cage possible. It is hands-down, without a doubt, no bullshit the absolute best booth at the Expo each year...hell, it's not a booth, it's an experience. The swag, the demos, the seminars, and most importantly the camraderie and brotherhood are amazing. On top of that, everyone is so down-to-earth and approachable, and you can really tell that people are enjoying what they are doing.

Secondly, I'd like to thank all of my Animal brothers and sisters in Iron from the Forvm. One of my favorite things each year is getting to meet people and put names to faces. Besides that, there is a real sense of brotherhood that is felt all throughout the weekend.

Finally, I'd like to thank Animal/Universal for giving me the opportunity to help out and work at The Cage this year....it was an honor and a privilege to say the least. It truly was a dream come true for me to be able to put on that shirt and stand tall as a member of the crew. For me, it was the experience of a lifetime, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I already can't wait for next year...

smoothballer
03-09-10, 9:39 am
Great write-up man!

It was great to meet you and throw up a few weights with you on Friday before Rage showed up to kick my ass on HRT.

Phil800101
03-09-10, 9:41 am
Great write-up man!

It was great to meet you and throw up a few weights with you on Friday before Rage showed up to kick my ass on HRT.

Thanks bro! Great to meet you and bang out some iron as well.

DANO
03-10-10, 11:36 pm
great write-up phill... man, i wish i could have made it.... glad dreams came true for ya.

Razor
03-10-10, 11:36 pm
i need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle

Flash419
03-11-10, 12:22 am
Great story bro,,,

See you next year!

Phil800101
03-11-10, 2:21 am
great write-up phill... man, i wish i could have made it.... glad dreams came true for ya.

Thanks bro! It was incredible.

i need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle

I am a cybernetic organism...living tissue over metal endoskeleton!

Great story bro,,,

See you next year!

Thanks bro! Man, I cannot wait.

Phil800101
03-14-10, 5:09 pm
Has anyone seen any pictures of Arnold at The Cage other than the ones naturalguy and Juggernaut shared? I'd really like to see them.

What I'm really dying to see is the official photo that is taken, but I know that it's not published anywhere.

Razor
03-14-10, 5:52 pm
Has anyone seen any pictures of Arnold at The Cage other than the ones naturalguy and Juggernaut shared? I'd really like to see them.

What I'm really dying to see is the official photo that is taken, but I know that it's not published anywhere.

You were so excited about this pic bro. Hope it pops up soon!

Phil800101
03-14-10, 5:57 pm
You were so excited about this pic bro. Hope it pops up soon!

I know, lol. Me too bro.

twoheadedboy
03-15-10, 1:53 am
Amazing, amazing. Great write up!

Phil800101
03-15-10, 1:56 am
Amazing, amazing. Great write up!

Thanks Chris! Glad you liked it.