PDA

View Full Version : Sugar and Weightlifting

chococat19
03-09-10, 10:13 pm
I have heard many things on the negative effects of sugar but nothing direct on its effect on weightlifting/gaining muscle mass. Everywhere I turn food and drinks are packed with sugar and its hard finding things with low or no sugar content. Anyone have any direct advice or experience on sugar intake while gaining lean muscle? Anything would be helpful.

LittleMan55
03-09-10, 10:31 pm
Sugar trigers INSULIN which is one of the most, if not the most anabolic substance there is. My question is: Why would you want to neglect sugar in and around work out if it is going to trigger greater anabolism?

You can gain a lot of lean weight by utalizing an insulin spike. The insulin spike will help shuttle all of those nutrients you are consuming into your muscles. I think you should have a product like EAA Nitro or Torrnet post work out if you are trying to gain lean muscle. They will both optimize your Anabolic Window of Opprotunity (the crucial post work out time when muscle breakdown is high). In other words don't be scared of sugar around your work out, unless you are cutting. But, from the sounds of your goals in gaining lean mass this is not the case.

chococat19
03-09-10, 11:52 pm
thanx for the advice

LittleMan55
03-10-10, 12:02 am
thanx for the advice

No problem.

GJN5002
03-10-10, 11:30 am
I have heard many things on the negative effects of sugar but nothing direct on its effect on weightlifting/gaining muscle mass. Everywhere I turn food and drinks are packed with sugar and its hard finding things with low or no sugar content. Anyone have any direct advice or experience on sugar intake while gaining lean muscle? Anything would be helpful.

I would avoid sugar unless, like littleman said, its around workout time. You have to remember, if something is detrimental to your health, its probably negatively effects muscle gain as well. Even around workout time, there are better choices than straight sugar and sugary drinks. I like vitargo, maltodextrin, swedish oat starch, trehalose etc. 50g of sugar/dextrose post workout makes me sick for an hour or so. I think sport pharmas carb product is solid.