PDA

View Full Version : shoulders

msktyshha
03-10-10, 8:25 pm
heres my shoulder/trap routine

start off with 3 sets of side laterals, then 3 sets of dumbel or barbell presses, followed by 3 sets of bent over laterals and finally 3 sets of dumbell shrugs. been doing this for past 4 weeks and seeing good results. What can be a good warm up for my shoulders before starting my workout, so my shoulders won't really make that griddle sound in my head, it's extremely annoying. Also is this a decent mass building shoulder routine or should I add more?

nevergiveup92
03-10-10, 8:44 pm
From my experience around bodybuilders and their teachings, 9-12 sets is perfect for mass but what reps are you doing? and i find that doing rotator cuff exercises and arm circles using a light weight seem to help my shoulders keep from the "griddling" sound as you said, I once had a rotator cuff problem and my physical therapist suggested the arm circles and rotator cuff exercises b4 a workout and if you want you could throw in som light weight shoulder exercises to get a good blood flow

msktyshha
03-10-10, 8:52 pm
side and bent over laterals are around 10-12 reps
presses and shrugs are around 6-8

shizz702
03-10-10, 9:02 pm
I would just focus on getting your shoulder press numbers up.

Survivor831
03-10-10, 9:31 pm
Rotator Cuff Work and what I call a shoulder cycle. Do ten side laterals, followed by ten front raises followed by ten bent over laterals, followed by ten press'. use a light weight.....five pound dumbbells or so. Go slow and focus on the shoulder.....works for me. hope this helps.

msktyshha
03-10-10, 9:34 pm
Rotator Cuff Work and what I call a shoulder cycle. Do ten side laterals, followed by ten front raises followed by ten bent over laterals, followed by ten press'. use a light weight.....five pound dumbbells or so. Go slow and focus on the shoulder.....works for me. hope this helps.

nice I will do that, and what exactly do you do for rotator cuff work

I would just focus on getting your shoulder press numbers up.

what do u mean by numbers? as in progress in weight?

Survivor831
03-10-10, 9:42 pm
If you google it, you will be able to find pictures of how to do the exercises for the rotator cuff. Its a lot easier to see it then to have me explain it. You will understand it a lot better. LOL.

msktyshha
03-10-10, 10:01 pm
ok i usually do those movements before my workout, and this specific movement http://www.all-about-arm-exercises.com/images/rotator-cuff-exercises18.jpg when I perform,with my left shoulder, my shoulder griddles alot. does this mean my left shoulder has some problem?

Survivor831
03-10-10, 10:10 pm
My shoulders will kinda sound like rice krispies every once in a while, and I dont have any problems. If it bothers you and inhibits you from working out or if it just plain hurts....get it checked out. If its something you can live with, push through it. Just be smart about it.

msktyshha
03-10-10, 10:17 pm
doesn't hurt or anything but 8/10 times when I do that movement it makes that sound and its veryy annoying, make me grind my teeth, it's like how someone rubs a sand paper against something, and you get annoyed, it's that feeling aaarrghhhhhhhhh

Legacy
03-10-10, 10:33 pm

We used a similar approach when I was the strength coach for baseball. The only difference is out routine was this - (Always start the movement with scaps pulled back) 10 front raises, 10 raises 45 degrees between a front and side lateral, 10 side laterals, 10 bent over laterals.

This is an extremely great routine for a warm up, or if you have a rotator cuff problem it is really good in helping with that. We used the program above throughout our entire organization from Single A to Pro and all the pitchers said it has helped them tremendously throughout their career in dealing with rotator cuff issues.

jeff00z28
03-11-10, 12:24 am

start off with 3 sets of side laterals, then 3 sets of dumbel or barbell presses, followed by 3 sets of bent over laterals and finally 3 sets of dumbell shrugs. been doing this for past 4 weeks and seeing good results. What can be a good warm up for my shoulders before starting my workout, so my shoulders won't really make that griddle sound in my head, it's extremely annoying. Also is this a decent mass building shoulder routine or should I add more?

side raises are a good warmup imo id keep donig that. but slow and controlled, not having sex with the air

theharjmann
03-11-10, 4:25 am
side raises are a good warmup imo id keep donig that. but slow and controlled, not having sex with the air

hahahahahahahahaha

that is an awesome analogy!

"having sex with the air" lol

this is so true though.

ive also noticed that only one pressing exercise is enough for me. before i used to do 2 pressing exercises and while i was getting stronger my delts werent actually getting any bigger. i suppose it is very easy to overtrain shoulders.

it might also be an idea to do rear delts with back and only focussing on middle delts and traps on shoulder day. front delts get hit enough on chest day in my opinion

violator
03-11-10, 6:39 am
ok i usually do those movements before my workout, and this specific movement http://www.all-about-arm-exercises.com/images/rotator-cuff-exercises18.jpg when I perform,with my left shoulder, my shoulder griddles alot. does this mean my left shoulder has some problem?

Those TRX bands are great for rotator cuff warmups, as well as the light bumbell movements as Survivor mentioned
there are also brromstick pullovers.... where you grab a pole/broom at a greater than shoulder width, and pull it fom out in front of you, over the head & extend backward to shoulder level, with arms near straight, but not locked out.... as it gets easier close the grip width...
i do a solid rotator warmup before even thinking about lifting anything heavy...

if u are using the TRX bands properly, ur shoulder should definitely not be producing a grinding noise like u describe...have you had any past injuries to the shoulder or back?...even if you are not experiencing to much pain, u would do well with gettin it looked at, rather that opening the window for eventual injury...take care of ur rotators, every person ive known or read about whose injured them says its the worst injury ever...

NaturalTrainee
03-11-10, 7:48 am
ive also noticed that only one pressing exercise is enough for me. before i used to do 2 pressing exercises and while i was getting stronger my delts werent actually getting any bigger. i suppose it is very easy to overtrain shoulders.

it might also be an idea to do rear delts with back and only focussing on middle delts and traps on shoulder day. front delts get hit enough on chest day in my opinion

Me too. Exactly how I do it.

nevergiveup92
03-11-10, 3:58 pm
I forgot to mention a trick i learned from a 64 year old man who benches 375lbs. He rubs extra strength icy hot on his shoulders before and he says that along with the exercises i mentioned before should do the trick, the icy hot is just a good way to a good blood flow going

prowrestler
03-12-10, 3:36 pm

if ur shoulders are grinding...you need to see a physio/sports massage therapist. probably a cuff imbalance