PDA

View Full Version : The Oat Report

jandirigma
03-10-10, 10:54 pm
I’ve been enlightened to write (or type) this passage thanks to the pure “awesomeness” of oatmeal. Oatmeal as we all know is a staple of the bodybuilding diet. It offers a myriad of nutritional goodies, no wonder lifters have been on this stuff for years. But what really makes our favorite breakfast meal… great?

Oatmeal is a good source of complex (slow-digesting) carbs for a steady source of fuel for prolonged periods of time. Because it is slowly digested, it is able to keep blood sugar levels steady, unlike simple carbohydrates that may cause quick insulin spikes. A typical serving of oatmeal usually has around 30-50 grams of carbohydrates. For such a rich source of carbs, oatmeal has a good amount of protein, usually around 3-5 grams per serving. Eating oatmeal may also reduce the risk of heart disease by controlling cholesterol levels thanks to water soluble fiber. Statistics show that eating at least 3 servings of whole grain such as oatmeal can decrease the risk of heart disease by up to twenty percent. It’s also rich in B vitamins which enables the body to efficiently absorb nutrients. Aside from this, oatmeal also contains poly-unsaturated acids and minerals like calcium to strengthen bones, zinc for better digestion, and even potassium which is needed for normal physiological function. For those looking to lose weight, oatmeal makes a nutritious and filling meal which also provides roughage for your gut to control cholesterol levels.

Another thing about oatmeal is that you can throw in all sorts of other stuff into it to make it tastier and more nutritious. You can boost protein levels in your oatmeal by adding nuts, milk, or protein powder into the classic porridge. Here are some oatmeal recipes I made.

1) Nutbuster Oats- Milk and nuts make a tasty and protein rich addition to this classic breakfast.

Ingredients: 1 and 1/2 cup oats, 2 tbsp. peanut butter, milk, 1 tbsp. honey, almonds and cashews

Directions: Place the oats in a bowl and pour over with hot milk instead of water. Add the peanut butter while the oats are hot so that it will melt. Add honey. Add the nuts to taste and mix well, until no peanut butter lumps appear.

2) Cupboard Porridge- I made this using ingredients available in the school kitchen.

Ingredients: 1 and 1/2 cup oats, almonds, 4 tbsp plain yogurt or sour cream, powdered cinnamon, milk

Directions: Place oats in a bowl and add hot milk and sour cream or yogurt. Add cinnamon and almonds to taste.

3) Muscle Grain

Ingredients: 1 and 1/2 cup oats, 1 serving chocolate protein powder (usually 2 tbsp.), milk, cashews, 1 whole sliced banana,� 5 tbsp. raisins

Directions: Place oats in bowl and add hot milk. Stir in your protein powder. Throw in the cashews and raisins. Let it cool down a bit so that when you add the bananas, they won’t be to soft.

Survivor831
03-10-10, 11:06 pm
I love everything about oatmeal. Numbers 2 and 3 look really good. Gonna try them tomorrow.