PDA

View Full Version : Egyptians and Their Muscle

dedsqtbnch
03-13-10, 9:47 pm
has anyone looked into this like what they ate and what they did when building cutting or whatever on this site. i was lookin for a good read on this and if anyone else has done it let me know. cause those paintings that mikelangelo painted make you think wow if they did that with no weight benches should i be cutting down trees or what lol

Girevik 69
03-13-10, 10:23 pm
has anyone looked into this like what they ate and what they did when building cutting or whatever on this site. i was lookin for a good read on this and if anyone else has done it let me know. cause those paintings that mikelangelo painted make you think wow if they did that with no weight benches should i be cutting down trees or what lol

Who in history do you exactly want to know about?

I ask this because the title of the thread mentions "egyptions" (Egyptians), but then you speak of "mikelangelo" (Michelangelo)--they're from two totally different time periods.

G Diesel
03-13-10, 10:59 pm
Right. Michaelangelo is from 15th century Italy (like 500 years ago) and the ancient Egyptians of history and lore are more from an era more than 5000 years old. But I'm sure you weren't coming here for a history lesson or to be spoken down to. I get what you're saying.

That classical, idealized masculine physique was usually a depiction of the ancient Greeks or similar peoples--either mythological gods or those figures of the warrior cultures like the Spartans and Trojans and the like. They did hard manual labor, involved military practice and advanced fighting training and were hunter/gatherers as well. They are depicted to look the way they look not for the aesthetics but that their lifestyle demanded they be lean, powerful and durable. That and their diets being from the Mediterranean region were probably great--fresh fruits and veggies, fish and olive oil.

Also remember that the Renaissance artists were depicting the male ideal based on how they saw it in their head. They didn't have pictures to go off of. They thought if Hercules was the strongest man who ever walked the face of the earth and they were painting or sculpting him, then he better be exceptionally big and lean. At least that is my theory.

Peace, G

violator
03-14-10, 7:22 am
yeah egyptian slaves musta been quite hardcore, dragging round huge stones for the pyramids on little food & water, with a whip to your back if you get outta line...

type-A
03-15-10, 2:30 pm
x2 what G said, most of the sculptures your going to see are depicting pharaohs ("gods"), you are not giong to see very many sculptures of common people, there for these pieces of art are very idealized.

Girevik 69
03-15-10, 6:53 pm
Right. Michaelangelo is from 15th century Italy (like 500 years ago) and the ancient Egyptians of history and lore are more from an era more than 5000 years old. But I'm sure you weren't coming here for a history lesson or to be spoken down to.

There's certainly no need for the latter, but when discussing these things, it's next to impossible to avoid the former--what we're talking about, after all, is history.

That classical, idealized masculine physique was usually a depiction of the ancient Greeks or similar peoples--either mythological gods or those figures of the warrior cultures like the Spartans and Trojans and the like. They did hard manual labor, involved military practice and advanced fighting training and were hunter/gatherers as well. They are depicted to look the way they look not for the aesthetics but that their lifestyle demanded they be lean, powerful and durable. That and their diets being from the Mediterranean region were probably great--fresh fruits and veggies, fish and olive oil.

Well said, Diesel.

Ancient Mediterranean cultures like the Greeks, Macedonians, Romans, et al, relied on well-trained armies to protect their lands and way of life. The Greeks had their citizen-soldiers, heavy infantry known as hoplites (due to their use of a large round shield, the hoplon). Martial and physical training in Ancient Greece was very thorough. Greek warriors had to learn the proper use of the thrusting spear (dory), the double-edged sword sword (xiphos), and the round shield (hoplon). One training modality was the pyrrhichia, which was similar to the kata of Asian fighting arts. Wrestling (orthos) was a popular pastime, and was also an important adjunct to weapons skills, on the battlefield. Physical conditioning was of course crucial, and thus the Greeks engaged in activities like running in armor.

The Romans likewise undertook the training of their soldiers with the utmost seriousness. The legions were originally composed of part-time soldier-farmers, until the Army was revamped by Marius, and made into a full-time professional force. Legionary recruits were taught by weapons instructors (doctores armorum), in the use of the javelin (pilum), the double-edged short sword (gladius), and the long shield (scutum). While the Greeks focused primarily on the use of the spear, the Romans focused primarily on the sword. They were among the greatest swordsmen of the Ancient world (the Celts and the Iberians being the others). Weapons training consisted of attacking a six-foot-tall wooden stake, which served as a target. The recruit used a wooden sword (rudis) and wickerwork shield, which were both weighted, so as to be twice as heavy as an actual steel sword and regulation shield. The Romans also had a specialized weapons drill called the armatura, about which little is actually known. Ultimately, recruits fenced against each other with steel swords that were covered in leather. Roman legionaries were also taught marching, running, jumping, swimming, and basic archery, basic slinging, and basic horsemanship.

The Romans prided themselves on their physical conditioning. They marched a minimum of 15 miles a day, while carrying some 40-60lbs of gear. In addition, they regularly built fortified camps, and so hard manual labor was the norm. The Celts and Germans may have been physically larger and correspondingly stronger, but the Romans typically had more endurance--this was something noted by Ancient observers.

Also remember that the Renaissance artists were depicting the male ideal based on how they saw it in their head. They didn't have pictures to go off of.

But they did have real humans, as models. The Renaissance saw a rediscovery of Greek and Roman art, science, and so forth.

And it's important to remember that, whether we're talking Ancient, Medieval, or Renaissance times, the people were pre-industrial. This fact is essential, when taking note of the lean and ripped look of the warriors and combat athletes. They didn't have cars, elevators, escalators, etc. They didn't eat crap. Sugar consumption was minimal, expecially when compared with today. They had good protein sources--beef, lamb, goat, pork, chicken, fish, etc. They had healthy fats from fish and olive oil. They had whole grains like wheat and barley, as well as various beans and legumes. They had plenty of fresh vegetables, and fruits seasonally. The combination of rigorous daily activity, and a simple, healthy diet, contributed to that lean, functional physique.

dedsqtbnch
03-15-10, 8:58 pm
thank yall alot i was lookin into this stuff cause well i just wanted to and i think its cool as shit that they were in such good shape

Maccabee
03-15-10, 9:17 pm
That is some great info on their life style.

Girevik 69
03-15-10, 10:04 pm
Oh yeah, and I almost forgot about flax... flaxseed was a traditional food of both the Greeks and Romans, and it was also popular with the Franks of the Dark Ages (Emperor Charlemagne actually passed a law, requiring his subjects to consume flaxseed). It's a great source of fiber and omega-3 EFAs, as I'm sure we all know...

U Mad Brah?
03-17-10, 2:20 pm
it's simple brahs, lift heavy stones, work outside all day and get a ripped physique my brahs. couple that with healthy foods from those time periods and you've got a good physique my highfallutintootin brahonies...

dedsqtbnch
03-17-10, 10:05 pm
it's simple brahs, lift heavy stones, work outside all day and get a ripped physique my brahs. couple that with healthy foods from those time periods and you've got a good physique my highfallutintootin brahonies...

lol word