PDA

View Full Version : Your take on my cardio

Lightnin'
03-15-10, 3:03 pm
Currently, I'm on a cut and this is my afternoon cardio ritual. Any suggestions for improvement?

Take a pak of Cuts, Run 2 min on 6MPH, walk for 2 min on 3.5MPH, repeat for 30 minutes.

This ends up being about 2 miles worth, around 300 cals, and Heart rate stays between 110-160. After some acclamation to the program I intend on bumping up the run to 8MPH. I am trying to get leaner and prepare my legs for the rigors of a long baseball season.

Your thoughts, comments, suggestions please... Thanks in advance

shizz702
03-15-10, 3:26 pm
Imo there's no need to overthink it.

Just get in there and get moving on something. Any form of low intensity cardio for 30-45 min will do fine for a cut.

C.Coronato
03-15-10, 3:36 pm
Thats a serious HIIT. I do a form like that, but its run for 30 seconds at 7.0 and then walk for one minute at 3.3 do that for 20 mins. I just started my cut tho, as i progress it will more.

smoothballer
03-15-10, 4:11 pm
I love me some HIIT when on a cut. Here are some things I have done in the past.

Treadmill
Jog for 5 min (5-6 mph)
Sprint for 30 sec (9-10 mph)
Walk for 90 sec (4 mph)
*Repeat the Sprint/Walk for a total of 5-6 times
Cool-Down Walk for 5 min (4 mph)

Stairmaster
Warm-Up for 5 min (35 spm)
Sprint for 60 sec (80 spm)
Slow for 60 sec (40 spm)
*Repeat the Sprint/Slow for a total of 5-6 times
Cool-Down Slow for 5 min (35 spm)

The cool down is great because my heart rate is still way up so I am burning much more than if I was normally going that speed.

mjb
03-15-10, 10:12 pm
Cardio is pretty simple;
nice and slow, 130bpm - Walk the streets 5am - 6am..
Go to Work..
Train in the gym
6pm - Walk the streets - 7pm
Thats what I do.. :)

Legacy
03-16-10, 12:43 am
Look into Max OT cardio training. I know Skip La Cour is a big believer of the system and apparently seems to work, hear a lot of good reviews about it, but haven't tried it myself.

Littlefry
03-16-10, 12:19 pm
Look into Max OT cardio training. I know Skip La Cour is a big believer of the system and apparently seems to work, hear a lot of good reviews about it, but haven't tried it myself.

Could anyone elaborate on this method?

Lightnin'
03-16-10, 12:35 pm
I love me some HIIT when on a cut. Here are some things I have done in the past.

Treadmill
Jog for 5 min (5-6 mph)
Sprint for 30 sec (9-10 mph)
Walk for 90 sec (4 mph)
*Repeat the Sprint/Walk for a total of 5-6 times
Cool-Down Walk for 5 min (4 mph)

This is awesome, and I am glad I'm on the path. I think I am going to alter this routine...

Run at 6MPH for 2 min, Sprint at 10 for 30 sec, walk at 3.5 for 2 min. I'll try it for 30 min and see what happens.

I do notice with the HIIT training that the fat seems to melt off quickly. My shoulders are really coming in nicely now, and it feels good that all the hard heavy, long, brutal sets paid off.

thanks for the feedback, I'm just happy that the HIIT I've been using is a good one.

Lightnin'
03-16-10, 12:37 pm

I've done the Max OT weight training program but never knew there was a cardio program.

DAMAGE
03-16-10, 5:26 pm
Could anyone elaborate on this method?

Ive done it, and i still do. its pretty basic and simple. take a few minutes warm up time, and interval between 1 minute of flat out running (80-90% max heart rate) then walk for a minute.
Do that for 18 minutes. it focuses on 18 minutes strongly. so its basically 9 sprints and 9 rest periods. its works good for me, and gives me more energy rather than tire me out. some days that i do 430AM gym sessions make me need a boost though... but i definitely recommend it. start slow if you need to, walk for 130-2 minutes and run for that minutes if you can, until you can do the straight 1-1

Littlefry
03-16-10, 11:56 pm
Ive done it, and i still do. its pretty basic and simple. take a few minutes warm up time, and interval between 1 minute of flat out running (80-90% max heart rate) then walk for a minute.
Do that for 18 minutes. it focuses on 18 minutes strongly. so its basically 9 sprints and 9 rest periods. its works good for me, and gives me more energy rather than tire me out. some days that i do 430AM gym sessions make me need a boost though... but i definitely recommend it. start slow if you need to, walk for 130-2 minutes and run for that minutes if you can, until you can do the straight 1-1

Sounds good Ill have to give it a try sometime. Probably my next cardio session and Ill let you know how it goes.

Biggie973
03-17-10, 1:12 pm
My take is cardio first thing in the morning for certain amount of weeks & after that, do double sessions: 1st thing in the morning & after your last meal. 20 mins to start & increase it til 45 mins. Always change up the cardio. Use HIIT to give your cardio sessions some new life.

msktyshha
03-17-10, 1:29 pm
i go on a bike and pedal at 130rm for 15 secs then pedal at 60 for 45 secs do this for about 10 mins and there is a puddle besides my bike.

Lightnin'
03-17-10, 1:34 pm

If I'm already getting my heart rate to 160 what is the benefit of pushing it beyond that? I would initially think that 150-160 bpm for 2 min would be a better calorie burn then 160+ for 1 minute.