PDA

View Full Version : accuracy of electronic scales

N.Rees
03-17-10, 3:58 pm
how accurate are they in measuring bodyfat compared to an ordinary "analog" bodyfat measuring clip?

Any info on this?

Thx!

deanna7272
03-17-10, 4:22 pm
It's done by bioelectrical impedance (a small electrical current is sent through the body) so there would be many factors that influence the reading. i.e. what you had eaten prior to, drank, what time of day, etc...

**** Criticism of this methodology is based on where the conductors are placed on the body; typically they are placed on the feet, with the current sent up one leg, across the abdomen and down the other leg. As technician error is minor, factors such as eating, drinking and exercising must be controlled since hydration level is an important source of error in determining the flow of the electrical current to estimate body fat. As men and women store fat differently around the abdomen and thigh region, the results can be less accurate as a measure of total body fat percentage. Another variable that can affect the amount of body fat this test measures is the amount of liquid an individual has consumed before the test. As electricity travels more easily through water, a person who has consumed a large amount of water before the test will measure as a lower body fat percentage. Less water will increase the percentage of body fat. Also reducing the reliability of this method is the variation between models of the BIA devices: for instance when comparing outputs from a Tanita scale to an Omron Body Logic handheld device the Tanita scale overestimated the percentage body fat in college-aged men by 40% and in college aged women by 55%[9]. Bioelectrical impedance analysis is available in a laboratory, or for home use in the form of body fat scales and hand held body fat analyzers. ****

If you are wanting something to "track" at home then they aren't "bad" as long as the environment is controlled. I would opt for underwater (being the most accurate) or skinfold testing...

C.Coronato
03-17-10, 4:33 pm
Agreed with D, i like the underwater, and i believe thats the most accurate. The calipers is always different as everyone pinches differently, but if you get the same person, it will be constantly wrong, in other words, if your losing BF at a certain rate, the calipers will show that, but it may not be exactly what you are .. I know that may sound confusing .. hope it came out right ..

N.Rees
03-17-10, 4:38 pm
It's done by bioelectrical impedance (a small electrical current is sent through the body) so there would be many factors that influence the reading. i.e. what you had eaten prior to, drank, what time of day, etc...

**** Criticism of this methodology is based on where the conductors are placed on the body; typically they are placed on the feet, with the current sent up one leg, across the abdomen and down the other leg. As technician error is minor, factors such as eating, drinking and exercising must be controlled since hydration level is an important source of error in determining the flow of the electrical current to estimate body fat. As men and women store fat differently around the abdomen and thigh region, the results can be less accurate as a measure of total body fat percentage. Another variable that can affect the amount of body fat this test measures is the amount of liquid an individual has consumed before the test. As electricity travels more easily through water, a person who has consumed a large amount of water before the test will measure as a lower body fat percentage. Less water will increase the percentage of body fat. Also reducing the reliability of this method is the variation between models of the BIA devices: for instance when comparing outputs from a Tanita scale to an Omron Body Logic handheld device the Tanita scale overestimated the percentage body fat in college-aged men by 40% and in college aged women by 55%[9]. Bioelectrical impedance analysis is available in a laboratory, or for home use in the form of body fat scales and hand held body fat analyzers. ****

If you are wanting something to "track" at home then they aren't "bad" as long as the environment is controlled. I would opt for underwater (being the most accurate) or skinfold testing...

Very good information... thanks a lot!

Agreed with D, i like the underwater, and i believe thats the most accurate. The calipers is always different as everyone pinches differently, but if you get the same person, it will be constantly wrong, in other words, if your losing BF at a certain rate, the calipers will show that, but it may not be exactly what you are .. I know that may sound confusing .. hope it came out right ..

Naw that was very clear TTL thanks! As I allways measure after getting up and having gone to the toilet, I'm sure my gains and losses will be picked up on as well, maybe not with the correct percentage though. I can live with that...

Thx for the information people!

DreamZero
03-18-10, 10:03 am
don't ditch out the mirror... it's still a pretty damn good evaluation tool

C.Coronato
03-18-10, 10:35 am

100% agree!

PIJW
03-18-10, 10:43 am
I also watch my belt, if i have more sticking out one end then the day before i know the weight is coming off some atleast

deanna7272
03-18-10, 11:01 am

Thank goodness MY mirror doesn't give me the numbers...lol The mirror can be a great tool if you are looking to track your progress, pics are a great reference also....

smoothballer
03-18-10, 11:27 am

Things make more sense now. I have one of these at home and I ran the test a couple times one day. The first one was in the morning before I ate or drank anything and the second was mid-afternoon between meals and after lifting. I was surprised that as my weight went up since I had eaten, my body fat percentage went down. It must have been that I was much more hydrated because I probably had drank about 1/2 gallon by then. Thanks for clearing this up. I really got to find a good place to get a real test done.