PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Development

Goliathus
03-28-10, 2:30 am
It seems I'm having troubles with my shoulders.
I started working out almost exactly a year ago, up until then I was just compiling knowledge on different things. I was lucky enough to start with a pretty decent build.

I started at 135lbs, now I'm up to 180-185, depending on the day.
My chest is still outstanding, luckily.
My arms grow almost too fast...
My back is pretty decent
But my shoulders, they just don't want to catch up. It's annoying.

My routine for shoulders is usually as follows:
Barbell shoulder press, 4x10-12
2x10 db press, more full range of motion
Barbell upright rows, 3x12-15
Lateral Raises, 4x12-20
Front Raises 4x12-20
Rear Delt 4x12-20

I'm thinking about starting to add some lateral + front raises at the end of my chest workouts to help up my development, good idea, bad idea?

I'll post whatever kind of info you need up here

prowrestler
03-28-10, 3:52 am
what do u strict press

NaturalTrainee
03-28-10, 8:07 am
Learn form and reduce volume to 2-3 exercises(1 or 2 presses, 1 lateral raise) and 12 sets AT THE MOST.

theharjmann
03-28-10, 2:22 pm
It seems I'm having troubles with my shoulders.
I started working out almost exactly a year ago, up until then I was just compiling knowledge on different things. I was lucky enough to start with a pretty decent build.

I started at 135lbs, now I'm up to 180-185, depending on the day.
My chest is still outstanding, luckily.
My arms grow almost too fast...
My back is pretty decent
But my shoulders, they just don't want to catch up. It's annoying.

My routine for shoulders is usually as follows:
Barbell shoulder press, 4x10-12
2x10 db press, more full range of motion
Barbell upright rows, 3x12-15
Lateral Raises, 4x12-20
Front Raises 4x12-20
Rear Delt 4x12-20

I'm thinking about starting to add some lateral + front raises at the end of my chest workouts to help up my development, good idea, bad idea?

I'll post whatever kind of info you need up here

Bear in mind that you use your shoulders every day you train.

You hit your delts when you train arms, chest, back and on leg day to a certain degree also.

I used to do 2 pressing movements on shoulder day and 2 lateral movements. My shoulders were getting a LOT stronger but not necessarily bigger.

I have now reduced to doing only one pressing exercise and 2 side lateral exercises at most. I do rear delts with back and front delts with chest.

My delts have responded to this and grown. This may not work for you, but if what you are doing now isnt working then i advise you try new things.

Good luck

Goliathus
03-28-10, 3:03 pm
I've gotten a LOT stronger as well training like that.
The extra press was done just as a way to add a range of motion to my press.

Ive thought about splitting my shoulder training like that, I actually started to, but I got away from it. I'll try it again and see how it goes though.

And my form is excellent, I'm very strict about that.

Legacy
03-28-10, 3:20 pm
Switch up your routine a bit, give it some shock. A good routine that I have been doing is this (after a warm up)
-side laterals 3 x 12, 10, 10, 8
-rear delt cable flyes 3 x 12, 12, 12
-2 sets of a superset with a side lateral and another movement
-barbell press 4 x 12, 10, 10, 8

I've been doing this for a while now and I love it. Its quick, to the point and demolished my delts. Also, read this article by G Diesel, good way to switch up a dull routine and shock your delts. http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=454

Don't get caught up in the b.s that your shoulders get work when you do back and chest. Will they suffer some type of tear down? Of course they will because of the pressing and pulling, but if your training right its not going to break the delt muscles down enough where they are getting worked as if its their own day.

theharjman, I am just curious as to how your delts get stimulated on leg day? I've never once got any stimulation on my delts while I trained legs. If you talking about getting your arms behind a bar during a squat, I can see a need to stretch, but where is your delt stimulation coming from?

Doesn't need to be a science bro, just go at it and adapt to what works for you.

TigerAce01
03-28-10, 3:27 pm
Learn to press correctly. About 80-85% of people who press don't know how to do it correctly. I thought I did, then I read Starting Strength, along with a few other awesome articles and learned. I was doing only Olympic lifts for a while, and after learning how to press correctly, my shoulders blew up, and I have genetically small shoulders. Go read some Rippetoe articles on the press, or find yourself a copy of starting strength.

-Ace

Goliathus
03-28-10, 3:30 pm
I had that article favorited on my comp but I had to reformat it, and I hadn't found it yet.

I had originally started hrt training, implementing parts of it into exercises, but never the complete routine, just the big compound movements.

I couldn't tell you what happened there though
I missed a week and it all went to shit

Firefist
03-28-10, 4:44 pm
bro i understand the frustration, i had that problem too. Schu from the boards, a personal trainer, had me giantset four exercises for the past 6 weeks and i gotta tell ya, they definitely grew. i did standing press/lateral raises/front raises/rear flyes for 4 total sets

the only problem i had with doing this was that my workouts would only take 20-30 minutes MAX. i love lifting, so this didnt sit well with me, but i also do shrugs and then abs and calves, to get that hour or so.

also, i got a tip from house, he told me to focus more on lateral raises, so before this giant set routine, i used to only press 3 sets and lateral raises 6-8 sets. yeah i know, cutting down on miltary presses is a sacrilige to alot of the guys on here, but that also helped alot.

the main thing is to shock it up.

happy training bro.

Goliathus
03-28-10, 5:47 pm
that's a hell of a giant set
itll about kill you
Ill have to try it next shoulder day

msktyshha
03-28-10, 9:28 pm
my shoulder routine which seems to be working well for me. start off with 3 sets side laterals, then 3 sets of dumbbell presses, followed by 3 sets of bent over laterals. I only do 3 exercises for my shoulders and I do them intensely.

In Flames
03-28-10, 11:21 pm
My Shoulder workout for Thursday.

6 x 6 BTN Military Press (30 seconds rest)
6 x 6 Standing Side Laterals (30 seconds rest)
6 x 10 Rope Face Pulls (30 seconds rest)
6 x 12 Single Arm Cable Laterals (Back n forth between Arms, 0 rest)