PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Form

chococat19
03-29-10, 8:58 pm
Is it proper form to lock your knees during deadlifts (standard stance not straight-legged)? Basically during the up movement do I stand straight up with knees locked or legs slightly bent.

Tron
03-29-10, 10:16 pm
Is it proper form to lock your knees during deadlifts (standard stance not straight-legged)? Basically during the up movement do I stand straight up with knees locked or legs slightly bent.

I lock-out but I've never really thought of it. Unless it adds too much pressure on the knees (In which case I wouldn't do them anyway... means you have very bad knees), then lock out.

Your goal is to completely get into a standing position. I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't.

Razor
03-30-10, 7:20 am
Never really thought of that since you always try to focus on locking out your back so to speak or standing straight up.

Deathride
03-30-10, 7:38 am
Push with your legs, push your hips forward and straighten your back. In that order. You're aiming to stand up......I don't know about you but I lock my knees when I'm standing.

Legacy
03-31-10, 5:32 pm
You want your body to reach a fully erect torso position. That being said, along with your shoulders back, you can also lock out your knees or you can keep a slight bend. I know that if you are doing powerlifting your knees must be locked in order to get a complete lift otherwise your lift will disqualified. I have never seen any problems with people locking their knees. Thats the way I taught all my athletes to deadlift.

Mizzarler
03-31-10, 5:51 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I