PDA

View Full Version : The Life Long Qwest for 1,000 Lbs Bench Press by Shawn Rainey

Pages : [1] 2

Shawn Rainey
03-31-10, 4:04 pm
Hello all,

one of your own members told me about these forvm's and told me I should sign up. Hes even a mod here so shoot I thought why not. I already have a blog somewhere else but I thought Id put it here too. I figure maybe it could help someone. So what I will do is post some of the back blog.. ( not to much of course ) and continue with my blog as normal and post it here as well. Also if anyone ever has any questions about my training or would like help with there's please feel free to ask..

Shawn Rainey
03-31-10, 4:13 pm
FRIDAY, MARCH 12, 2010

Ok I decided to go 259 this meet instead of 242.. long winded story as to why but I did anyways.. I made weight in this class with no problem with quite a few lbs to spare. So tomorrow is the big day. I am opening with 512 just shy of my current class 1 record of 518 that I should smash by the way! I have my eyes set on the WA state record of 606 at 259 open. if all goes well I will go for this on my 4th with a 607. My attempts will look somthing like this 512, 556, 578, 607 for the 4th..

I will have pics taken at the meet and hopfully some video too.

till next time!

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 17, 2010

WABDL NATIONALS RESULTS
Ok lets start with the meet!

The meet started very early in the morning so we had to be up even earlier to get food and be ready for the meet. Lifters meeting was at 730 and the meet started at 8 am. Guess what I was in the 1st flight so 8 am I get to start lifting whoo hooo! NOT SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS! Anyways it was when I was to lift so that is when I had to. I did my warm ups easy and so came the time for my opening attempt. It was 512 lbs, Smoke Show! Very easy for me this day, The hardest part was getting it to touch. Now about 10 min later was my 2nd attempt. 551 lbs, this was probly easier than the 1st. wow Shot right up! This was great, so on my 3rd I went for 578.5 lbs. This was a bit more of a grinder but the weight didn't seem to stop anywhere. On a 4th after already breaking my own record of 518 twice I went for 584. I just didn't have enough gas in the tank this early in the morning so it stopped half way up. I will get video of the meet in a few weeks from CSS so I can review my lifts and see what I can improve upon in my form. I try to strive for perfect form every time. If I am off by a 1/4 of in inch that is not good enough for me and I want it perfect. It needs to be perfect! No it has to be perfect!

Then I was suppose to dead lift at 6 pm but that didn't happen till about 715 or 730, but you know what considering how many lifters there were the meet went by very fast.

I ended up pulling 507 and went for the win of 595 but was about 20 to 30 lbs to much for me. (over the next few months I am really going to strive to get my dead lift over 600 lbs again. its a must do!)

So I ended up with two 1st place finishes in the Bench, Class 1 259 Men and Open 259 Men. Also I got the Class 1 Men Best Lifter award! (This ended up getting me drug tested!) and I got two 2nd Place finishes in the Dead Lift, Class 1 259 Men and Open 259 Men. Not Bad! This Also moved me out of the Class 1 Mens rankings in the Bench Press and into the Open Only Classes. The challenge is set!

SATURDAY, MARCH 20, 2010

1st max effort day since nationals
Ok so today I forgot today was sat this morning. So I missed ME day on Oregon city today.. damn that sucks so I went to my gym a little bit later.

So today we did 4 board since were starting the board cycle again. This was my sets for the day

Warm ups
raw
135 x 10 full range
225 x 3 full range
Added 4 board
225 x 3
315 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 3
Shirted up
585 x 3
635 x 3
675 x 3
675 x 3

Then we did other basic chest and tri work. including some plyo ball work. Today the 2 sets of 675 for 3 reps was a big pr for me. (btw that is 7 45's lbs plates on each side of the bar!)... If I can just keep putting heavyer weight in my hands that 600 to 650 range bench should be mine in a few months at the next wabdl meet.

I would have taken video but the gym was pretty dead today so I had a hard enough time trying to find spotters little lone an extra person so hold a camara. We will get it on video thou at some point maybe next week who knows. But exspect big numbers from me this year and years to come.

MONDAY, MARCH 22, 2010

Just another sub par back day!
Today was back day again.

So today I mixed it up again and did dead lifts from the floor with red bands. ( these were stretched out pretty tight) These weren't easy at any point during the lift. The sets looked like this

Dead Lifts
All sets done with bands
135 x 10
225 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 2

Then we did hang cleans
3 sets of 135 x 5

Were just starting to do cleans again so mostly working on form than anything else. after 10 to 12 years of not doing them its good to start light with these.

Crock Row's next for 5 sets of 8 to 10 reps
reverse hypers and regular hypers

end of work out

Yes I know today was a pretty easy day. by my work out partners didn't eat before working out so I had to cut it short too.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 24, 2010

Speedy bench press!
Yesterday, wow.... ok it was a dynamic bench and also a triceps day as well. So We started with chain benches for speed. We never went heavy with this just tryed a few new things and worked on speed. So the sets looked like this...

Warm up then.

add 70 lbs of chain to the bar.
all sets were done with maximal force applied to bar, for speed.
45 (bar) x 10
135 x 6
Add red band stretched behind my back held with both hands to bar.
205 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
Take away bands and just keep the chains
225 x 5
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10

The bands to this made this a very different feel to the lift but interesting.
next was dumbbell flat bench

115's for 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps each

next was a bunch of tri work, we did a good hour on this super setting between cable press downs and kennellys followed by a few sets of 12, 12, 12's on a flat bench with a curl bar. 12 close grip benchs, 12 skull crushers, and 12 behind the head pull overs. Then for shits after all that I went and fliped a 400 or 500 lbs tire in the back 1 time. wow that was hard.

then we left the gym, the end!

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 31, 2010

Few days worth!
Ok sorry its been a few days so I'll do two in one update here..

Friday Heavy squat day with chains here is how the sets went

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 5
Add Chains and Box for box squats

405 x 6 plus 100 lbs of chain
495 x 6 plus 100 lbs of chain
585 x 5 plus 100 lbs of chain ( did this for 5 sets )
405 x 6 plus 100 lbs of chains ( did this for 5 sets )
315 x 10 plus 100 lbs of chains ( did this for 8 sets )
225 x 5 plus 100 lbs of chains ( did this for 2 sets and jumped in the air on each rep)

Then leg curls, leg extensions, and finished off with lunges.. Not a bad day

On Sat. we kept it a easier day. ( normally this is our shirt max effort day ) We did about 5 or 6 sets of 4 board raw work and only went up to 405 lbs on the bench.. so was very easy.

Tuesday .....

DE day on the Bench Press. We did this with chains. sets looked like this.

Raw
bar x 20
135 x 10
135 x 10
add 100 lbs of chains
135 x 10 with 100 lbs of chain
185 x 10 with 100 lbs of chain
225 x 10 with 100 lbs of chain
275 x 7 with 100 lbs of chain
225 x 10 with 100 lbs of chain
135 x 40 with 100 lbs of chain ( super super fast and light )

after this we did dumbbells I got up to 125's for 10 reps for a few sets and then blasted our triceps with cable press downs and Kennelly's for about 1.5 hours. Its getting to a point I need to put in 4 hours in the gym at a time to get a good work out in.

I guess you need to put in the work if you want to be the best and get to your goals.

ghost
03-31-10, 4:14 pm
Hello all,

one of your own members told me about these forvm's and told me I should sign up. Hes even a mod here so shoot I thought why not. I already have a blog somewhere else but I thought Id put it here too. I figure maybe it could help someone. So what I will do is post some of the back blog.. ( not to much of course ) and continue with my blog as normal and post it here as well. Also if anyone ever has any questions about my training or would like help with there's please feel free to ask..

glad to see you on here brother.

fucking WORLD class powerlifter here people.

Shawn Rainey
03-31-10, 4:31 pm
Thank you ghost!

BTW everyone I forgot to put this in the original post but I wanted to put my best lifts in here just so people can see where Im at so they can gauge my training as it goes through its paces....

All Lifts are with Gear (1 ply)

Bench Press
Gym 605 lbs ( @ 270 BW in 2010 )
Meet 578.5 lbs ( @ 256 BW in 2010 )

Dead Lift
Gym 665 ( @ 165 bw in 1999 )
Current Gym 575 ( @ 270 bw in 2010 )
Meet 551 ( @ 255 bw in 2010 )

Squat
Gym 775 ( @ 270 bw in 2010 )
Meet 630 ( @ 165 bw in 1999 )

Meet

JUGGERNAUT
03-31-10, 4:45 pm
Welcome

Shawn Rainey
03-31-10, 4:48 pm
Welcome

thank you Jugernaut!

T o m m Y
03-31-10, 4:50 pm
strong shit going on in here!
Another powerlifter in the house..awsome!

ghost
03-31-10, 5:27 pm
strong shit going on in here!
Another powerlifter in the house..awsome!

i always love getting more powerlifters in here.

JustJ
03-31-10, 8:04 pm
Found your log. You are crazy strong. Any advice you have for me will definitely be taken and put to use.

Shawn Rainey
04-01-10, 12:54 am
Found your log. You are crazy strong. Any advice you have for me will definitely be taken and put to use.

yeah if you have any questions like I said don't be afraid to ask. you can even send me links to videos of your lifting and I can try to help you out with technique and form to try to get the most out of your lifts. As many great lifters know you can never stop trying to improve your technique. I know I win meets and beat people not because I am stronger and often times they are a lot stronger than me ( raw strength ) but I have a much better form. Especially in the bench press. over the years I have created a science out of it lol.. well in my head haha. anyways I will quit rambling on.

tomorrow is squat day ..... ;-)

Shawn Rainey
04-01-10, 6:53 pm
Ok Off to the Gym to Bang out some Heavy squats..

Muscleguy93
04-01-10, 7:55 pm
wow man, strong lifting.

smoothballer
04-01-10, 11:29 pm
Welcome Brother! Those are some serious weights!
Subbed for the ride!

Shawn Rainey
04-02-10, 5:21 am
Heavy Squat day! 4/1/2010
Heavy Leg day!

Ok so we did box squats today. Everyone in the group did well and I think everyone hit PR's.. So here was my sets

135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 8
Add Box
315 x 8
405 x 5
495 x 3
585 x 3
675 x 3

Then we went to Hack Squats

405 x 8 for 4 sets all reps were performed to rock bottom of the machine

then leg curls and also leg extensions, after this we called it a day. Alot of the time we do a little more volume in work but it felt good to stop there. Body Felt right, its best to listen to what your body is telling you.

Here is a video of the day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfFK_LrnjBE

Hope you Like!

smoothballer
04-02-10, 9:28 am
Killer wheels brother!

Shawn Rainey
04-02-10, 3:11 pm
yeah I Like them I can fit more on the bar this way.. but the gym I goto Needs to get some better bars, they call suck. and need some 100 lbs plates would be nice also a mono lift.

FITGYM
04-02-10, 3:14 pm
Solid work there and can't wait to see more

OklahomaMuscle
04-02-10, 3:25 pm
Definitely gonna be taking you up on your offer to critique form. got my first meet in a little over 5 weeks and I wanna have all the ducks in a row. You got any tips for anyone just getting started in competition?

G Diesel
04-02-10, 3:40 pm
Impressive lifts bro... Very inspiring contribution.

Welcome.

Peace, G

Shawn Rainey
04-02-10, 3:52 pm
Definitely gonna be taking you up on your offer to critique form. got my first meet in a little over 5 weeks and I wanna have all the ducks in a row. You got any tips for anyone just getting started in competition?

Yes, three things I see a lot at meets that people need to improve on, they are not mentally and sometimes not physically ready. Also sometimes peoples ego's get in the way and they open way to high. Always open with a weight you can triple I say. then move up from there!
Ok so Ill break it down in 3 little parts for these

Openers - I say open with what you can triple at least for your 1st half dozen meets or so till you get more comfortable in comp environment. Its much different than your gym. More people watching you, spectators, judges, spotters, loaders.. ect ect..... You have 3 lifts in each event get a number on the board 1st!

Mental - This should come more into play on your 2nd 3rd and if your lucky your 4th attempts. You need to be confident with the weights you attempt. I see people fail weights they are strong enough to make just cause they let the weight, the environment, and other distractions get to them. Stay Focused. One thing I do is train heavy heavy heavy board work for the bench for example. This way I am use to training with 100 to 200 lbs more in my hands, so when the meet comes around my max's feel like a feather in my hands. I'm mentally ready for the weight. Also pay attention to what order your up, very close attention. The last thing you want is to be rushing to get ready to be on the platform and when you arn't ready. Its so easy to miss your lifts this way. PAY ATTENTION!

Physically - Basicly put, put in the work, do the extra sets. Make damn sure your ready! because if your not. You will mentally know. See the Mental section above.

Remember - Success is what happens when Preparation meets opportunity!

Hope this helps

Shawn Rainey
04-02-10, 4:07 pm
Impressive lifts bro... Very inspiring contribution.

Welcome.

Peace, G

Wow, Thanks G Diesel!

JustJ
04-02-10, 4:16 pm
Hey Shawn,there's a few vids from my first meet in my log if you could watch them and comment on my form. Also,as a raw lifter do you think a better assistance exercise for bench would be military press or board presses(well, id prob stuff a towel under my shirt cuz I train alone)? Oh and one other thing,I noticed you do hand cleans...do you find they affect your bench at all due to the extra shoulder work,and do you do pulldowns/pullups? Thanks!

Shawn Rainey
04-02-10, 4:34 pm
Hey Shawn,there's a few vids from my first meet in my log if you could watch them and comment on my form. Also,as a raw lifter do you think a better assistance exercise for bench would be military press or board presses(well, id prob stuff a towel under my shirt cuz I train alone)? Oh and one other thing,I noticed you do hand cleans...do you find they affect your bench at all due to the extra shoulder work,and do you do pulldowns/pullups? Thanks!

Hey JustJ -

Ill check out your form for you for sure and post on your log regarding it..

I think raw or geared lifter both the military press and board presses are very important. btw a towel would work but you could get a board vest. Its a very good investment if you have to train alone, or even if you just have 1 spotter. You can get them for like 40 or 50 bucks I think online.

I just started doing hang cleans again mostly to try to get my power clean back in form because when I was in college I had my best dead lift of my life of 665 at 165 body weight and I had over a 400 lbs power clean. So I figure if I start to get that going again I can get some more power from the floor. but cleans will help all your lifts really, so there always good to do if you do them right. I don't really do a lot of pull ups but Ill do seated lat pull downs on back day.

JustJ
04-02-10, 4:38 pm
Right on, thanks so much. I appreciate the advice. I've always loved cleans,just worried it migjt be hard on the shoulders. Also,I don't like pullups/pulldowns...they bore me

Shawn Rainey
04-02-10, 6:18 pm
here is just a thought... I was taking my supplements. swallowing all the pills and all. and some how I got one of the pills stuck in my nasal cavity .. wow that freaking sucked and hurt.....

and the smell/taste it made in the whole ordeal SUCKED ASS.. wow hope that never happens again....

Shawn Rainey
04-02-10, 10:17 pm
I was just reading B Con's Journey and he was talking about concentrating on deep thoughtfull lifts and such. Gave me an idea for Monday's Back Workout. I Think I will keep my Dead Lifts around 315 and just use very powerful and meaning-full pulls. I want them to be weight rattling perfect form and on Point. So Ima keep the weight down on these and just be Perfect!

thats the plan!

Shawn Rainey
04-04-10, 12:13 am
Ok So here was today's work out.. It was max effort bench day. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it as I tweaked my back some doing box squats on Thursday. Im a dumb ass and didn't use a pad to sit on putting pressure on my low back. From now I on I will. So Before I left the gym in the early morn I took a but ton of Ibuprofen but that did nothing. So I took a 5 mg oxy cotton.. btw I don't condone that and it shouldn't be done. but I wasn't missing max effort bench day. So it was just enough to loosen up my back but not be drowsy or high or anything like that. just helped me get thou the day. So this is what the work out looked like

Warm ups with band stretching and wrist and forearm stretches..
Bench Press
Bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
Add 3 board
315 x 5
405 x 3
585 x 3
Shirt Up with Super Katana Bench Shirt and continue with 3 board bench's
585 x 3
635 x 3
675 x 3
700 x 2 big PR for me

Incline barbell press
225 x 8
315 x 3

Dumbbell Flat Bench
115 x 10
125 x 8
125 x 8
130 x 8
130 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 8
140 x 6

Then Lots of tricep press down's and then Kennelly dumbbell tricep press's and I spent about 2 hours doing triceps and a total of about 5 hours in the gym today.

I will be putting up a video of the day in a few hours as soon as it renders and I will post it here when its up!

Shawn Rainey
04-04-10, 3:24 am
ok so here is the video of the Max Effort Bench Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7dp66-3tI

mark!
04-04-10, 8:16 am
Sick benching Shawn. Freaking strong as an ox brother! Inspirational stuff here buddy.

smoothballer
04-04-10, 11:07 am
Destroyed that chest! 700 x 2...Amazing!

ghost
04-04-10, 1:12 pm
great job Shawn! keep at that pace, and that 1000 is yours in no time man.

Shawn Rainey
04-04-10, 1:57 pm
thanks guys... I just can't be satisfied with average...

J A Y
04-04-10, 3:16 pm
thanks guys... I just can't be satisfied with average...

HAHA!

700lb is far beyond average i would say already!

good stuff

Shawn Rainey
04-05-10, 4:50 pm
HAHA!

700lb is far beyond average i would say already!

good stuff

well yeah, but then again none of us will ever be happy with what we got, we always want more. till were the best of the best.. there is a good saying ive heard... "there is always more weight to be lifted"

JustJ
04-05-10, 5:21 pm
Crazy man. You truly are an inspiration

Shawn Rainey
04-06-10, 10:59 pm
Monday and Tuesday!
Monday - Back Day

Started off with dead lifts and kept it simple with speed pulls today
10 sets of 5 reps with 225 - simple huh - Felt Like I could power Clean these without to much trouble.
then we did Reverse Hypers for about 6 sets of 10 to 12 reps
then onto a few diffrent pulls, Cable pull downs, seated rows, crock rows
then we finished with some shoulder work

Tuesday - Speed Bench Press

I backed off a bit today more than I normally would but I can feel my body is still recovering from the 700 lbs day on sat.

Bench
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
Add Doubled up red bands from floor
135 x 6 plus bands
135 x 6 plus bands
135 x 6 plus bands
135 x 6 plus bands
135 x 6 plus bands
135 x 6 plus bands
135 x 20

Dumbbell flat bench Press
8 sets of 85 lbs dumbbells for 8 to 12 reps

and about an hour of these
Kennelly tricep press
cable press downs forward and reverse grip
skull crushers

Shawn Rainey
04-09-10, 4:18 am
Plyo Leg Day!
So today was Thursday and normally its a squat and leg day. and normally I move a lot of iron on these days. But not today.

Squat
All sets were done with a stretch plyo band around my knees, pulling inward.
135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 6

( 10 total sets )

Then I did nothing but plyo work the rest of the work out. These all had the band strapped from ankle to ankle with a good amount of tension.

Split leg jumps
6 sets of 8 to 10 reps

wide stance to close stance back to wide stance vertical jumps
6 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Wide stance to close stance forward jumps
6 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Wide stance walks forward and backward
6 sets of 40 yards

Side steps with tight band tension
6 sets of 20 yards each direction

40 yard dash with band around ankles
1 set and ran into indoor netting and crashed and burned because I couldn't stop this run away truck fast enough.. lol. That jammed up my knee pretty good so I called it a day..

this was a pretty good work out except the very end lol...

Shawn Rainey
04-11-10, 1:26 am
635 off 2 board.
Max Effort Bench day.

Today I spent so much time teaching and working with my workout partners I didn't get much in today myself. So Today was a shirt day with 2 board presses. Here was my sets...

Warm up
Bar x 10 full range
135 x 10 full range
135 x 10 full range
add 2 board
225 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 3
405 x 3
455 x 3
Shirt Up in Super Katana
495 x 3
585 x 3
635 x 3
635 x 1 Was really off on this rep and I struggled with it
635 x 2 This was a few seconds after the previous rep set I did, and this didn't feel great ether
405 x 15

and that was it because the gym closed early today, So I came home and did a bunch of rubber band push ups. I guess Ill just hit the triceps hard on Tuesday. Its ok its good to very my days on the extra work. Also after today I come to the conclusion on my next 5 week board cycle I will add chains to all the board and shirts sets, so this will happen in 3 weeks. I'm just lacking the explosion I need from the bottom to the top.

I will have the video of the work out up later, probably tomorrow.

Shawn Rainey
04-11-10, 3:41 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzimUm_klrA

there is the video to yesterdays work out... and some inspirational music to go with it!

Shawn Rainey
04-12-10, 4:59 pm
So im off to the gym to get in a deadlift workout... Ill post that up later tonight im sure.

btw I just ordered a new HD Camcorder so soon I will have much better video for this blog..

Shawn Rainey
04-13-10, 12:25 am
Dead.....
Deads...

Today was back/shoulders days.

Started out with dead lift, and I went conventional stance today. I don't do that much so I thought I would mix it up. And It felt much better than it has in the past. much easier to get down and get ready for solid pulls.

Sets
Dead Lifts
135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 3 Very Easy!
455 x 3 This felt pretty easy and I had great speed even from the bottom, its been a while for that.

Reverse Hypers
150 lbs 2 sets of 10
250 lbs 3 sets of 10

Seated Rows
225 lbs 3 sets of 10
305 lbs 2 sets of 10

Shrugs, side raises, front raises, dumbbell Shoulder press, Lat Pull downs.

There was more to this blog but it was supplement oriented and since it wasn't about Animalpack I left it out due to conflict of interests.

Shawn Rainey
04-14-10, 1:53 am
Blast them Tri's with them chains...
Speed and Dynamic Bench Day..

So I Busted out the 100 lbs of chains again and went at it, we even did some decline skull crushers with them. Here was the sets

Bench Press ( all sets were full range and raw )

bar x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
Add 100 lbs of Chain
135 x 6 plus 100 lbs of chain
205 x 6 plus 100 lbs of chain
245 x 6 plus 100 lbs of chain
300 x 6 plus 100 lbs of chain
335 x 3 plus 100 lbs of chain

Then to dumbbells flat bench press
115's x 10
135's x 8
145's x 6
135's x 6

Decline Skull Crushers
65 lbs plus 100 lbs of chain for 8 to 12 reps for 6 sets ( so a total weight of 165 lbs on skull crushers ) about mid way up the chains were fully off the floor swaying around making this very difficult lift and was a great work out.

about 30 min of Tricep Press downs with the full stack I think about 220 lbs.

Then a 15 min power abs work out to blast them puppies

Then did another 15 min of tricep press downs because they didn't feel like I worked them..

Ok I just got a brand new HD 1080p Camcorder, and I will be testing it out shortly so I should have some great video for you guys, no more using my cell phone to record work outs. I also with this will be doing some instructional videos to help thou's who ask for it..

Cyrus The Virus
04-15-10, 1:29 pm
Question about the 30 min triceps exercise. Did you do straight 30 mins or did you take short rest periods?

JustJ
04-15-10, 2:01 pm
I wanted to ask if you keep track of weight/reps on your assistance exercises or if you just go by feel?

Shawn Rainey
04-16-10, 1:27 am
Question about the 30 min triceps exercise. Did you do straight 30 mins or did you take short rest periods?

I take short rest periods.. about 30 seconds to 1 min based on feel..

Shawn Rainey
04-16-10, 1:30 am
I wanted to ask if you keep track of weight/reps on your assistance exercises or if you just go by feel?

I pretty much go by feel, I don't believe you have to be overwhelmed with keeping track of precise numbers. when I get closer to meets I pay more attention but if I'm 3 months out lets say, I just go by feel that day and how I have felt the last few weeks. hope that helps..

Shawn Rainey
04-16-10, 1:31 am
THURSDAY, APRIL 15, 2010

Break on leg day..
Took a day off on the legs since my knee has been bothering me the last few days.. Its nothing major just a bit of a strain is all but being a bit older I pay attention to what my body is saying. A week of rest will be good for my legs anyways..

So about a week ago I got the video from CSS Sports Photos so I took my lifts off there and put them in a video today. I don't think I will be ordering another DVD from them as the quality was not very good. There pictures are awesome but the video was so compressed it wasn't worth the money. Ill just bring my own video people and photo people with me from now on.

So here is the video from the meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ_ipP5F4T8

-----------------------------------------------------

Cyrus The Virus
04-16-10, 1:40 am
I take short rest periods.. about 30 seconds to 1 min based on feel..

Thank you.

JustJ
04-16-10, 1:03 pm
I pretty much go by feel, I don't believe you have to be overwhelmed with keeping track of precise numbers. when I get closer to meets I pay more attention but if I'm 3 months out lets say, I just go by feel that day and how I have felt the last few weeks. hope that helps..

Cool,thanks. I had been thinking bout doin that,but most people seem to think not logging every detail is a cardinal sin. I mean of course it makes sense to log,but you should also know your body enough to know if you need to go heavier or an extra set or whatever. I think I might only log exercises and sets for my assistance work for a bit and see how that goes. Thanks!

Shawn Rainey
04-16-10, 5:02 pm
Hey no Problem JustJ... no reason to over think things. Things to worry about are form, proper rest and diet, and of course getting good work outs in....

JustJ
04-18-10, 1:32 am
Understandable. Another thing I was thinking of doing was dropping pulldown exercises (at least for a little bit) in favor of more rowing exercises. Thoughts? Sorry to bother you, but advice from those stronger and more experienced really helps. Killer sessions btw...wish you and a few of the other guys were in my area cuz it would be awesome to lift with you.

Shawn Rainey
04-18-10, 5:56 am
Understandable. Another thing I was thinking of doing was dropping pulldown exercises (at least for a little bit) in favor of more rowing exercises. Thoughts? Sorry to bother you, but advice from those stronger and more experienced really helps. Killer sessions btw...wish you and a few of the other guys were in my area cuz it would be awesome to lift with you.

Well I do "rows" every week but I always get some strait in rows then Ill do some more from different angles and change that up from week to week. So some weeks I might do some Noise pulls ( much like a cable pulldown but with a much closer grip and I bring it to my face keeping my elbows out not in.) then other weeks I might do wide grip pull downs, or barbell bent over rows, then crock rows.. just change it up is the point. Yeah if your ever in the area your more than welcome to come work out with us...

Shawn Rainey
04-18-10, 6:19 am
SUNDAY, APRIL 18, 2010

Training Partners Sick today..
Max Effort bench day.

Today was 1 board in the cycle. It always gets harder when it gets close to touching. To bad my main work out partner was sick today. Got some food poisoning from a restaurant he had the night before. Then we went to a store today before we went to the gym and Tamara got a sandwich and got hella sick from that and was puking in the parking lot before the workout. So while she was puking I was warming up, then told her to hurry up because she had a work out to do. And lastly had to call in some extra spotters because my normal people weren't there so it made it a lot harder on some of the lift offs and spots as they were touching the bar when they weren't suppose to and sometimes giving shitty hand off's.. anyways bottom line thou gotta get the work done regardless....

Sets

Bench Press
Warm up's
bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6 off 1 board
Shirt Up in Super Katana
405 x 4 off 2 board
455 x 2 off 1 board ( Shit hand off and one of the side spotters kept touching the bar)
500 x 3 off 1 board
550 x 3 off 1 board
585 x 3 off 1 board
600 x 1 off 1 board
405 x 10 off 1 board

Bench wasn't the best its ever been but went well enough to get a good workout and my body got something from it.

Flat Dumbbell Bench
50's x 25 reps
50's x 25 reps
50's x 25 reps
60's x 25 reps

Kennelly Dumbbell tricep extensions
40's x 3 sets of 10 reps

Tricep Press downs
10 sets of 10 to 12 reps of different weights

Dumbbell Hammer curls
4 sets of 10 reps with 50's

Single Arm dumbbell flat bench's
4 sets of 10 reps with 80's

here is the video of today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyr9CtXoh0s

--------------------------------------------------

Cyrus The Virus
04-18-10, 11:40 pm
Cool video. I can see how the spotters would be distracting. It looked like one of the side spotters was lifting the bar.

Shawn Rainey
04-19-10, 12:13 am
Cool video. I can see how the spotters would be distracting. It looked like one of the side spotters was lifting the bar.

yeah it drains a lot of energy out of you if you have to fight falling off the bench because someone is pushing or pulling the bar when your just trying to get set or do your reps.. Normally I don't have to much of a problem with this but like I said in the post I had a bunch of basically random spotters.. and the easiest of the lifts that day were the heaviest of the day.

thanks for the comment on the vid.. got some new software and a new camara so just putting it to use..

Cyrus The Virus
04-19-10, 8:49 am
yeah it drains a lot of energy out of you if you have to fight falling off the bench because someone is pushing or pulling the bar when your just trying to get set or do your reps.. Normally I don't have to much of a problem with this but like I said in the post I had a bunch of basically random spotters.. and the easiest of the lifts that day were the heaviest of the day.

thanks for the comment on the vid.. got some new software and a new camara so just putting it to use..

And it is not very safe if they do not know what they are doing. Looking forward to more videos.

blueboy22
04-19-10, 11:40 am
Great numbers man. Very impressive....

Shawn Rainey
04-20-10, 5:49 am
Great numbers man. Very impressive....

Thank you very much....

BTW everyone I will have a new video up in a few min.. from the dead lift day I will post that with the log for the day as well..

Shawn Rainey
04-20-10, 6:13 am
Grip and Rip IT!
Rip the the hinges off the cage and let the animal out to because all he wants to do is grip and rip the bar off the floor! It's dead lift day!

So I got after it today and It felt great, Back Felt exceptionally strong today and solid. I was worried before I got to the gym as my right ankle and left lower calf/ Achilles tendon was bother me a lot. Once I warmed up and got going everything felt pretty good. Here was the sets for the day.

Deadlift

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 3
315 x 3 plus 100 lbs of chain
365 x 3 plus 100 lbs of chain
405 x 3 plus 100 lbs of chain
455 x 3 plus 100 lbs of chain
495 x 1 plus 100 lbs of chain (bairly missed this at the top, wow it was close )

Bent over Rows with Strait bar Bell

225 x 8 - 10 reps for 4 sets

Dumbbell Kroc Rows

125 x 8
135 x 8
150 x 6
150 plus 50 lbs of chain for 6 reps "200 lbs" ( They didn't have any bigger dumbbells so I just made them heavier...

Seated cable rows

325 lbs for 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Finished off Back with Reverse Hyper's

225 x 8 to 12 reps for 3 sets

Then we did 15 min of power abs including normal and side plank's and super man's

Fun Stuff there..

Here is the Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgowiO6vfZM

ghost
04-20-10, 7:03 am
sick session Shawn! Keep it up brother

Shawn Rainey
04-20-10, 2:35 pm
sick session Shawn! Keep it up brother

thanks man...I'll do my best

ghost
04-20-10, 2:47 pm
thanks man...I'll do my best

helllll yeah!

Cyrus The Virus
04-21-10, 1:07 am
Grip and Rip IT!
Rip the the hinges off the cage and let the animal out to because all he wants to do is grip and rip the bar off the floor! It's dead lift day!

So I got after it today and It felt great, Back Felt exceptionally strong today and solid. I was worried before I got to the gym as my right ankle and left lower calf/ Achilles tendon was bother me a lot. Once I warmed up and got going everything felt pretty good. Here was the sets for the day.

Deadlift

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 3
365 x 3 plus 100 lbs of chain
455 x 3 plus 100 lbs of chain
495 x 1 plus 100 lbs of chain (bairly missed this at the top, wow it was close )

Bent over Rows with Strait bar Bell

225 x 8 - 10 reps for 4 sets

Dumbbell Kroc Rows

125 x 8
135 x 8
150 x 6
150 plus 50 lbs of chain for 6 reps "200 lbs" ( They didn't have any bigger dumbbells so I just made them heavier...

Seated cable rows

325 lbs for 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Finished off Back with Reverse Hyper's

225 x 8 to 12 reps for 3 sets

Then we did 15 min of power abs including normal and side plank's and super man's

Fun Stuff there..

Here is the Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgowiO6vfZM

Cool video. I just started doing Kroc rows and love them.

Shawn Rainey
04-21-10, 1:33 am
thanks, yeah kroc rows are fun, but ima have to get an adjustable dumbbell set soon that I can put free weight on cause the gym only goes up to 150's ..

btw speaking of videos, im going to put up a video tutorial on leg drive and setting up the bench press for maximal pressing power and drive. I just shot the video today as a request and hopefully it will be ok. Im about to watch the footage for the 1st time so we will see.

Shawn Rainey
04-21-10, 2:20 am
another day at the gym..
Hey what up all?

lighter speed bench day for the most part.. here is the work out for today.

Bench Press

All done raw
Bar x 10
135 x 10
bar plus 100 lbs of chain x 10
135 x 10 plus 100 lbs of chain
225 x 6 plus 100 lbs of chain
295 x 3 plus 100 lbs of chain
225 x 10 plus 100 lbs of chain

Flat dumbbell bench
80's for 4 sets of 12 reps

Incline dumbbell bench
80's for 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps

Kennelly dumbbells tricep press
40's for 4 sets of 10

cable Tricep Press downs
200 lbs 8 sets of 10 to 12 reps

Dumbbell hammer curls
50's for 4 sets of 10

Front and side dumbbell shoulder raises
20's for 3 sets of 10 reps each front and side

thats it....

Shawn Rainey
04-21-10, 3:15 am
here is the video that I promised for using leg drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fe8_EBEaGg
__________________________________________________ ___

Cyrus The Virus
04-22-10, 1:06 am
Thanks for posting the video. I am benching tomorrow and am going to put the tips from the video to use. My bench is the worst of my lifts and I have been searching for ways to help increase it. I do have one question for you. I am doing bodyweight dips as an assistance exercise and was wondering if I should switch to something else? BTW I am doing 5/3/1 program.

Shawn Rainey
04-22-10, 6:04 am
Thanks for posting the video. I am benching tomorrow and am going to put the tips from the video to use. My bench is the worst of my lifts and I have been searching for ways to help increase it. I do have one question for you. I am doing bodyweight dips as an assistance exercise and was wondering if I should switch to something else? BTW I am doing 5/3/1 program.

I see nothing wrong with dips, there just one of thous extra motions just like everything else. these "extra motions" just need to be changed from time to time. But also you need to find what works for you as well. For instance right now Kroc rows are really helping my dead lift so im concentrating on getting strong on thous on back days.. My question to you would be what part of your bench is your weak part? The Bottom, middle or towards the top. other things to look at are your control and bar speed on the way down to the chest, hand and elbow positioning and are you benching raw or in a shirt? If you give me a little more info I can prob. give you some extra stuff to concentrate on to break thou on your bench to keep your progress moving..

Cyrus The Virus
04-22-10, 12:20 pm
I see nothing wrong with dips, there just one of thous extra motions just like everything else. these "extra motions" just need to be changed from time to time. But also you need to find what works for you as well. For instance right now Kroc rows are really helping my dead lift so im concentrating on getting strong on thous on back days.. My question to you would be what part of your bench is your weak part? The Bottom, middle or towards the top. other things to look at are your control and bar speed on the way down to the chest, hand and elbow positioning and are you benching raw or in a shirt? If you give me a little more info I can prob. give you some extra stuff to concentrate on to break thou on your bench to keep your progress moving..

The weak part of my bench is towards the top. I bench raw. Thank you very much taking time to read my questions and giving advice.

Shawn Rainey
04-22-10, 10:04 pm
The weak part of my bench is towards the top. I bench raw. Thank you very much taking time to read my questions and giving advice.

Ok if you can get yourself some chains and bands.. if you can only get one due to cost get bands but try to get chains as well. Then once a week do your bench's with one of these and then alternate them, then the following week use both at the same time. You should also cycle in boards on your max effort days. The chains and bands both will give you added weight/resistance the farther you press up. This will not only improve your bar speed but also your lock out power. Then the board work will get you use to heavier loads then you can do full range. With the boards you want to use the heaviest damn weights you can stand for that level of board your on.

Also for extra credit, and I suggest you do the extra credit. Do kennelly dumbbell tricep extensions. This will square off the bottom of your tricep next to the elbow and that is the part of the tri that does the heavy lock out part. This area a lot of people lack and these need to be solid and granite. you can youtube and google kennelly dumbbell extensions if your not sure what they are.

Shawn Rainey
04-23-10, 3:15 am
Gout
Ok, some of you may already know this but I have had Gout for about 6 years now. Today I have been doing some more studying on the subject and let me tell you its kinda depressing. Basically I have to take drugs to deal with the pain I'm faced with on a regular basis. Half of the time this only curbs the pain but doesn't fully resolve the issue.

For thou's of you who don't know what this is, its basically my body is creating to much uric acid from my kidney. ( at least as I understand it, I could be not 100% right on this but its the basic's as I understand them.) Then it crystallizes in my joints, for me this is in both of my ankles. This causes a lot of inflammation, stiffness and pain, sometimes unbearable break down and cry pain, and has even caused a kidney stone once.

Doctor's say there is no "cure", only ways to manage this condition. Basically there are foods I need to stay away from, a lot of them are protein based including meat and protein in general. The Gout diet is pretty much a vegetarian diet. But there even some veggi's on the list. The point of this basically with the research I did today, some of it very confusing I found some food's and products to stay clear of to try to help curb some of the flairs. I am trying hard to change some of these foods to reduce the mass use of Ibuprofen ( 3,000 to 6,000 mg per day ) These are the dosages I have had to use to curb the pain and get it to go away for a while.

These kinds of drugs ( even the prescriptions they often prescribe for gout) for long term use can cause ulsters, kidney failure, and many other problems. Of course these don't happen to everyone but I would prefer they don't happen to me.

So the bottom line is im going to be trying to maintain a balancing act in my diet to help with this as its a two edged sword im playing with here. I won't give up powerlifting as it is who I am. I was born to move heavy things and it gives me a reason to be at time's. I refuse to let this beat me, I will beat you gout. Gout you will not stop, or hinder my progress to greatness.

Sorry to ran't, just putting this out there.

Cyrus The Virus
04-23-10, 2:15 pm
Ok if you can get yourself some chains and bands.. if you can only get one due to cost get bands but try to get chains as well. Then once a week do your bench's with one of these and then alternate them, then the following week use both at the same time. You should also cycle in boards on your max effort days. The chains and bands both will give you added weight/resistance the farther you press up. This will not only improve your bar speed but also your lock out power. Then the board work will get you use to heavier loads then you can do full range. With the boards you want to use the heaviest damn weights you can stand for that level of board your on.

Also for extra credit, and I suggest you do the extra credit. Do kennelly dumbbell tricep extensions. This will square off the bottom of your tricep next to the elbow and that is the part of the tri that does the heavy lock out part. This area a lot of people lack and these need to be solid and granite. you can youtube and google kennelly dumbbell extensions if your not sure what they are.

Thank you, I will look into getting some bands and chains.

Cyrus The Virus
04-23-10, 2:18 pm
Gout sucks. One of my friends has it and gets it in his feet. His is caused by fish. Hopefully you will be able to find other protein sources that will not cause flare ups.

Shawn Rainey
04-23-10, 3:56 pm
Gout sucks. One of my friends has it and gets it in his feet. His is caused by fish. Hopefully you will be able to find other protein sources that will not cause flare ups.
yeah it does suck.. pretty much everything I have try'd has caused a flare up it seems like as of recent.

Shawn Rainey
04-23-10, 5:09 pm
Thank you, I will look into getting some bands and chains.

oh and don't forget the kennelly's ... these will help big time.

JustJ
04-23-10, 5:46 pm
Hope everything gets better with the gout. I have some bands but people say not to use them with 5/3/1 and that my lifts are too low to bother with bands.

Shawn Rainey
04-24-10, 1:18 am
Hope everything gets better with the gout. I have some bands but people say not to use them with 5/3/1 and that my lifts are too low to bother with bands.

Yeah I have heard that too but I disagree I think bands can help anyone at any strength level. my girl friend when we started benching last year only could do 65 lbs for 1 rep, now a year later is hitting 200 lbs.. and she does band and chain work just like us guys.

Shawn Rainey
04-24-10, 2:53 am
Go Crazy in the cage!
Go Crazy in the cage, was what happened today..

Today was leg day, Ill let the numbers talk for them selfs.

Squat.
ALL SETS WERE DONE RAW!

135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
Add 100 lbs of chain
135 x 10 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 235 lbs)
225 x 6 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 325 lbs)
315 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 415 lbs)
Change one of the 45 pound plates on each side to hang with a band so the weight bounces around in the air. Rest of the sets had plates hanging from the bar with the band.
405 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 505 lbs)
455 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 545 lbs)
495 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 595 lbs)
545 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 645 lbs)
585 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 685 lbs)
600 x 2 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 700 lbs)
315 x 20 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 415 lbs)
After the last set I was on the ground sucking wind for about 15 min...

Hack squat
315 for 5 sets of 6 ( legs were toast by this point )

Leg Extensions
3 sets of 15 - 20 reps with 305 lbs

Then I was pretty dead so I went home and got some food...

Video coming later from the day..

Shawn Rainey
04-24-10, 6:45 am
ok here is the video of the squat work out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGYSzE0adBQ

Cyrus The Virus
04-25-10, 1:44 am
Go Crazy in the cage!
Go Crazy in the cage, was what happened today..

Today was leg day, Ill let the numbers talk for them selfs.

Squat.
ALL SETS WERE DONE RAW!

135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
Add 100 lbs of chain
135 x 10 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 235 lbs)
225 x 6 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 325 lbs)
Change one of the 45 pound plates on each side to hang with a band so the weight bounces around in the air. Rest of the sets had plates hanging from the bar with the band.
405 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 505 lbs)
455 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 545 lbs)
495 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 595 lbs)
545 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 645 lbs)
585 x 3 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 685 lbs)
600 x 2 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 700 lbs)
315 x 20 + 100 lbs of chain (total weight 415 lbs)
After the last set I was on the ground sucking wind for about 15 min...

Hack squat
315 for 5 sets of 6 ( legs were toast by this point )

Leg Extensions
3 sets of 15 - 20 reps with 305 lbs

Then I was pretty dead so I went home and got some food...

Video coming later from the day..

That is some awsome weight. How were you able to walk out of the gym?

Cyrus The Virus
04-25-10, 1:45 am
oh and don't forget the kennelly's ... these will help big time.

I am going to try those. Thanks again.

Shawn Rainey
04-25-10, 2:17 am
That is some awsome weight. How were you able to walk out of the gym?

To be totally honest I was kinda disappointed I didn't have more in the gas tank. There was a few more brutal exercises I wanted to do for the hamstrings but didn't get to them. I mainly wanted to do hyper's bending at the knee instead of the waist. But I just didn't have the energy.. This is happening more than I want it, so I might start bring something to the gym to eat during training.. We will see.

Shawn Rainey
04-25-10, 9:39 pm
725 lbs 4 board bench PR
Ok, Today was max effort bench day with shirt work. We are back at 4 boards in the cycle again and doing maximal loads.

Bench Press

bar x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 3
Add 4 board
405 x 3
495 x 3
Add Bench Shirt
585 x 3
675 x 3

725 x 1 I felt a bit out of grove on this but was able to fix it mid lift and strugle it out. This was a 25 lbs PR for me.

495 x 11 reps down to 3 board could have done probly 9 or 10 more easy but the shirt slid down to my neck and was choking me. These felt like I could have done them all day if the shirt wasn't choking me. super light weight!

Kennelly Tricep presses with just green bands
3 sets of 10 reps

Incline Dumbbell Press
85's x 10
95's x 10
115's x 6

cable Tricep Press downs
10 sets of 10 reps with 200 lbs

Hammer curls
4 sets of 10 with 50's

I should have the video up later depending on the footage we shoot. But I haven't seen it yet so we will see. Anyways that was the work out for today.

tomarrow is back day, I think the plan is to take a day off from deads and just concentrate on more reverse hypers and rows for the day.

Shawn Rainey
04-25-10, 11:02 pm
So Im ordering a Boss squat suit tomarrow.. oh god I can't wait to see what this does to my squat. Im already at about 700 or so lbs wit just knee wraps and a belt... This might get a little scary folks..

Cyrus The Virus
04-26-10, 1:16 am
725 lbs 4 board bench PR
Ok, Today was max effort bench day with shirt work. We are back at 4 boards in the cycle again and doing maximal loads.

Bench Press

bar x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 3
Add 4 board
405 x 3
495 x 3
Add Bench Shirt
585 x 3
675 x 3

725 x 1 I felt a bit out of grove on this but was able to fix it mid lift and strugle it out. This was a 25 lbs PR for me.

495 x 11 reps down to 3 board could have done probly 9 or 10 more easy but the shirt slid down to my neck and was choking me. These felt like I could have done them all day if the shirt wasn't choking me. super light weight!

Kennelly Tricep presses with just green bands
3 sets of 10 reps

Incline Dumbbell Press
85's x 10
95's x 10
115's x 6

cable Tricep Press downs
10 sets of 10 reps with 200 lbs

Hammer curls
4 sets of 10 with 50's

I should have the video up later depending on the footage we shoot. But I haven't seen it yet so we will see. Anyways that was the work out for today.

tomarrow is back day, I think the plan is to take a day off from deads and just concentrate on more reverse hypers and rows for the day.

Congrats on the PR.

Shawn Rainey
04-26-10, 4:31 am
here is the video of the day..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkX6km9jjQ0

Shawn Rainey
04-27-10, 12:18 am
Congrats on the PR.

Thanks, My forearms are paying the price a day later. Massive cramping and soreness in the forearm muscles .

Shawn Rainey
04-27-10, 12:32 am
Easy day.. bones hurt!
Easy Back day...

Since yesterday we did a number on our bodies we decent to keep it simple and nothing crazy on todays back day.

Lat Pull downs

160 x 10 reps
240 x 8 reps
255 x 8 reps

Assisted pull ups
3 sets of 8 reps with spotter holding feet ( give me a break I weight 275ish )

Dumbbell Kroc Rows
115's x 10
125's x 10
135's x 10

Red Band pull aparts for upper back
3 sets of 15 reps

Cable Face pulls with rope
4 sets of 10 reps 120 lbs

Reverse Hypers
3 sets of 10 to 15 reps with 225

called it a day there. See that wasn't to hard. Well it felt hard as hell since our bodies were pretty well shot from the day before..

This week Im taking the speed bench day off myself and getting in a good solid 7 days of rest between bench days. So next lifting day won't be till Friday for me. I will probably go in and do some abs and help other team mates with stuff on Thursday thou.

JustJ
04-27-10, 1:01 am
Always impressive workouts.

Cyrus The Virus
04-27-10, 1:57 am
Always impressive workouts.

x2

smoothballer
04-29-10, 10:04 pm
Tried the Kennelly Tricep DB Extensions today. Got a really good pump from them. I can definitely see how they are gonna help my bench. Thanks man for the tip!

Shawn Rainey
04-30-10, 3:38 pm
Tried the Kennelly Tricep DB Extensions today. Got a really good pump from them. I can definitely see how they are gonna help my bench. Thanks man for the tip!

hey no problem at all.. if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know and ill do my best. thanks...

Cyrus The Virus
04-30-10, 6:19 pm
Just wanted to thank you for posting the video on benching. I tried used the techniques that you showed. I benched on Thursday and hit a PR by doing 11 reps.

Shawn Rainey
05-01-10, 12:24 am
Leg Day but no Squats!
Ok so we did legs today but Didn't do back squats as we have been doing them for the last 2 months so we just did something different today..

Sled Leg Press ( counting the sled it self as 45 lbs thou i know its probly about 120 or so lbs.. but just to keep the weights easy to keep track of I count it as 45 lbs )

135 x 10
315 x 10
495 x 8
585 x 6
675 x 6
765 x 6
855 x 6
945 x 6
1035 x 6
1125 x 6
1315 x 6 ( 1125 plus 190 lbs girl sitting on it )

Cybex Leg Pres ( isolate top of the quad a bit more )

675 x 6
765 x 6
855 x 6
945 x 6
1035 x 6
1215 x 6

Front Squats
225 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 6

Leg exstentions
285 x 12 for 5 sets ( whole stack )

Leg Curls

inner and outter thigh's ( thou's girl machines you see in gyms )
4 sets each with 190 lbs for 15 reps each ( whole stack )

then I finished off with 15 min of abs

thats it...

Shawn Rainey
05-01-10, 12:41 am
Just wanted to thank you for posting the video on benching. I tried used the techniques that you showed. I benched on Thursday and hit a PR by doing 11 reps.

awesome Im glad it helped...

Cyrus The Virus
05-02-10, 10:45 am
Leg Day but no Squats!
Ok so we did legs today but Didn't do back squats as we have been doing them for the last 2 months so we just did something different today..

Sled Leg Press ( counting the sled it self as 45 lbs thou i know its probly about 120 or so lbs.. but just to keep the weights easy to keep track of I count it as 45 lbs )

135 x 10
315 x 10
495 x 8
585 x 6
675 x 6
765 x 6
855 x 6
945 x 6
1035 x 6
1125 x 6
1315 x 6 ( 1125 plus 190 lbs girl sitting on it )

Cybex Leg Pres ( isolate top of the quad a bit more )

675 x 6
765 x 6
855 x 6
945 x 6
1035 x 6
1215 x 6

Front Squats
225 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 6

Leg exstentions

Leg Curls

inner and outter thigh's ( thou's girl machines you see in gyms )
4 sets each with 190 lbs for 15 reps each ( whole stack )

then I finished off with 15 min of abs

thats it...

Looks like a awsome training session. It is good to switch up exercises every once in a while.

Shawn Rainey
05-03-10, 1:07 am
Changes..... what will they be?
OK so today was a shit work out.. it fucking sucked and nothing went right.. 1st some of my spotters didn't show up for Max Effort Bench Day.. OH pretty sweet I know... Ok so Gotta do it with or without them. So then AJ Rolled his ankle walking around the gym some how.. Great now he doesn't have the strength to lift off for me when im in a shirt. the one set I did in a shit blew ass because of how much work it was to unrack it in my shirt. and that was only 545 lbs.. wow that was the heaviest 545 ever.. Once I got it into place the 3 reps were fairly easy.. But AJ couldn't get the leverage to lift it off. See our gym doesn't have comp benches so the closest thing we have is a bench slid into the power rack.

Then to top off all this bull shit the gym owners sold the gym. I guess that could be worse as they could have just closed the doors and said nothing and fucked all of us. So the owner of the MMA gym next door bought it. I talked with him briefly today and seemed like a cool guy and has some new ideas for the gym and the direction. So today he was selling off most of the worthless gym gear there ie.. extra leg presses, junk curl machines and other crap like this you find in most 24 hour fitnesses or la fitness hell holes.. So they got rid of about 15 peaces of equipment. No Problem with that but He did get rid of all the heavy dumbbells 125's and up... WTF I say.. seriously 120's are pussy weight.. FUCK MY LIFE... serouslly... He said he might bring back heavier ones when he gets new mats so people don't damage shit.. So we will see. He also is brining in more squat racks ( very good thing ) and some platforms for olympic lifting and such. thats good too I guess I will have a place to do my deadlifts on. So this could be a good change or it could suck We will see. I changed gyms to get rid of bull shit so hopfully there is not much of it as the changes take place.

Todays sets

Bench
bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
Add 3 board
405 x 4
495 x 3 didn't feel good My shoulders have been tender the last few days.. hmmmm
Shirt up
545 x 3 Fuck this took forever to get unracked with aj's injurys and lack of spotters wore me out for the reps but got them easy its only 545
Took Shirt off
315 x 8
405 x 3
315 x 10
315 x 8

Went home... Fuck Today sucked ass... And ive been pissed off all day since...

JustJ
05-03-10, 12:33 pm
Sorry about the bad day man. Hopefully the next session goes better..just use this one as fuel for the fire.

Shawn Rainey
05-03-10, 4:16 pm
Sorry about the bad day man. Hopefully the next session goes better..just use this one as fuel for the fire.

Yeah im in a better mood today... So later im heading to the gym to see what they have changed in there... Hopfully its for the better..

Shawn Rainey
05-04-10, 4:36 am
We moved the Bench presses so you can see yourself in the mirror when you get up? WHAT!

Dead Lift day..

Dead's

135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 6
225 x 6
225 x 3 plus 100 lbs of chain
495 x 0 plus 100 lbs of chain... sooo soo close at top
475 x 1 plus 100 lbs of chain
565 x 0 was pretty tired from the rest of the set couldnt get the bar moving from the bottom with any speed so it stalled half way up..

Bent over row with strait bar
225 for 4 sets of 8 reps

Kroc Rows... these fucking suck with only 120 lbs dumbbells since my fuck'd up gym thinks people arnt strong enough to lift anything heavier fucking pussy MMA fighters..

120's 2 sets of 8 reps

then I graped a curl bar and tossed a couple of 45's on each side ( total of 4 ) and did Kroc rows with this.. wasn't balanced right but neather are these fuck heads that took over the gym. ( btw they have everyone walking around in MMA shirts ) oh im getting pissed right now thinking about it...

so I did a few sets of 8 reps on each arm with this crazy set up...

did some nose pulls and some seated rows and called it a day...

BTW the update on the new equipment. Oh they didn't move any new gear in but they did move shit around and some how these fuck-tards made less room in there with 20 less peace's of gear. How the fuck do you do that. No places to put platforms or anything like this. Im really starting to think MMA fighters are idiots by the way these fuck asses put shit.. like for instance some seated bikes next to the squat rack, Bench Presses no where near any fucking 45's but dont worry they got 25's over there... Oh and the reason they told me they moved the bench presses is so when you get up now you can see your self in the mirror. That is a quote btw.. ARE YOU FUCKING SEROUS.... who fucking looks at them selfs after they bench press.. if there wasnt 30 fucking MMA fighters I might crack some heads but I think im a bit out number'd there..

anyways more and more I think im going to find another gym to goto soon...

smoothballer
05-04-10, 11:40 am
Wait you mean you don't get up from benching, take off your shirt and hit a most muscular pose? I thought that was standard procedure.

Shawn Rainey
05-04-10, 4:06 pm
Wait you mean you don't get up from benching, take off your shirt and hit a most muscular pose? I thought that was standard procedure.

If it is I quit....

smoothballer
05-04-10, 8:33 pm
if it is i quit....

hahaha!!!!

Shawn Rainey
05-06-10, 2:11 am
Speed Bench Day....
Speed Bench Day..

Today was a pretty good work out day.

Bench Press

All sets raw
bar x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 8
316 x 6
Add Green Bands from the bottom of the rack ( about 80 lbs or so of tension )
225 x 6
275 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 3
405 x 3
405 x 3
225 x 15

Incline Bench

135 x 10
225 x 8
245 x 8
285 x 6

Pec Deck

150 lbs 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps

Kennelly Dumbbell tricep work 6 sets
tricep cable press downs 8 sets

Cyrus The Virus
05-06-10, 4:05 am
That sucks about what is going on at your gym. Did the new owner tell you why he got rid of the 125 dumbbells?

Shawn Rainey
05-06-10, 4:04 pm
That sucks about what is going on at your gym. Did the new owner tell you why he got rid of the 125 dumbbells?

Yeah he said that people were not strong enough to lift the 125 - 150 lbs dumbbells.. I almost slapped the pussy MMA fighter right there.. ( im not afraid of him since I out weigh him by 100+ lbs, and am sure as hell 100 times stronger than him.. lol )

So right now we are missing dumbbells in the sizes of 15's, 40's, 50's, 65's, 70's, 75's, 80's, 85's, 90's, 125's - 150's...... wow that is a lot of missing weight. He said they were not needed.. fuck I get pissed every time I think about this fucking joker..

Cyrus The Virus
05-06-10, 10:52 pm
Yeah he said that people were not strong enough to lift the 125 - 150 lbs dumbbells.. I almost slapped the pussy MMA fighter right there.. ( im not afraid of him since I out weigh him by 100+ lbs, and am sure as hell 100 times stronger than him.. lol )

So right now we are missing dumbbells in the sizes of 15's, 40's, 50's, 65's, 70's, 75's, 80's, 85's, 90's, 125's - 150's...... wow that is a lot of missing weight. He said they were not needed.. fuck I get pissed every time I think about this fucking joker..

I think that next time you see him, you should slap him upside the head with a 45lb plate to knock some sense into him. Does he expect people to train with 20 and 30lb dumbbells all of the time?

Shawn Rainey
05-07-10, 12:42 am
I think that next time you see him, you should slap him upside the head with a 45lb plate to knock some sense into him. Does he expect people to train with 20 and 30lb dumbbells all of the time?

Pretty much you should see these fighters there all skinny asses.. If they weren't fighting people in there own weight classes but on the streets they would get there asses kicked.. and 2 of them fight in the UFC.. once I found that out I lost some respect for some of the UFC.. I am not saying all of them are pussies but these guys are... Its like Ive only been training a year and a half and these guys have been putting in years and years and there still weaklings.. wtf does this say about some of these so called "professional fighters" I mean I was stronger than these guys and was a better athlete in jr high and high school than these "pro" fighters.. what a joke.. Maybe its just to many kids grew up playing video games and being held by mommy to long I don't know but serously if you want to be the best in the world don't be afraid to do something hard.

Im sorry If the last page or so Ive just been going off but its just struck a nerve with me...

btw I really think power lifters are some of the most bad ass people on the planet. If you train right your SNS sould be pretty much trashed half the time..

and for thou's of you who think I don't have a clue about MMA your wrong...

I wrestled in High school and boxed for 2 years from the age of 22 to 24 and even some of my boxing training I trained with some MMA guys on grappling as well. So I know what the body goes thou. Ive even played football for 7 years and track and field as a decathlete in jr and high school as well. and by far powerlifting is the hardest and most brutle on your body if you train right.

btw thanks for listening to my rank... haha

J Wong
05-07-10, 12:45 am
Who are the ones in the UFC?

Shawn Rainey
05-07-10, 5:30 am
Who are the ones in the UFC?

Well im not going to say there names on here but im From Vancouver WA so thats about it... I still need a place to train for a month...

Cyrus The Virus
05-07-10, 11:43 am
Pretty much you should see these fighters there all skinny asses.. If they weren't fighting people in there own weight classes but on the streets they would get there asses kicked.. and 2 of them fight in the UFC.. once I found that out I lost some respect for some of the UFC.. I am not saying all of them are pussies but these guys are... Its like Ive only been training a year and a half and these guys have been putting in years and years and there still weaklings.. wtf does this say about some of these so called "professional fighters" I mean I was stronger than these guys and was a better athlete in jr high and high school than these "pro" fighters.. what a joke.. Maybe its just to many kids grew up playing video games and being held by mommy to long I don't know but serously if you want to be the best in the world don't be afraid to do something hard.

Im sorry If the last page or so Ive just been going off but its just struck a nerve with me...

btw I really think power lifters are some of the most bad ass people on the planet. If you train right your SNS sould be pretty much trashed half the time..

and for thou's of you who think I don't have a clue about MMA your wrong...

I wrestled in High school and boxed for 2 years from the age of 22 to 24 and even some of my boxing training I trained with some MMA guys on grappling as well. So I know what the body goes thou. Ive even played football for 7 years and track and field as a decathlete in jr and high school as well. and by far powerlifting is the hardest and most brutle on your body if you train right.

btw thanks for listening to my rank... haha

Don't be sorry for getting upset. He is taking away tools that allow people to get stronger and better at what they do, ex you being a powerlifter and the MMA fighters. Getting stronger helps in any sport. This guy is doing a disservice to everyone that trains there. Just wondering, how long did you wrestle for? I wrestled all through high school.

Cyrus The Virus
05-07-10, 11:44 am
Hope you can find a good place to train.

Shawn Rainey
05-07-10, 4:17 pm
I wrestled for a few years.. I never competed as it was durring power lifting season but I trained all the time with our high school and durring that time we were 5 time state champions in wrestling so I was going against some of the best. It was a great work out. It was a benifit to me and the team. I was stronger than everyone so the team got use to going against stronger people and I got a lot of cardio in...

Shawn Rainey
05-09-10, 5:50 am
Short leg day!
Leg day...

All sets were done Raw with just a belt only.. No Knee wraps
Box Squats

bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
225 x 6 + Green Bands ( 160 Lbs of tension ) Total weight 385 lbs
225 x 6 + Green Bands and Red Bands ( 200 lbs of Tension ) Total weight 425
225 x 6 + Black Bands ( 250 Lbs of Tension ) Total Weight 475
225 x 6 + Black and Green Bands ( 410 lbs of Tension ) Total Weight 635
275 x 6 + Black and Green Bands ( 410 Lbs of Tension ) Total Weight 685
315 x 6 + Black and Green Bands ( 410 lbs of Tension ) Total Weight 725
365 x 6 + Black and Green Bands ( 410 lbs of Tension ) Total Weight 775

Todays Squats felt awesome damn I could have done at least 100 lbs more. I felt explosive and powerful. It was weird looking at the weight thou, because there wasn't much "free weight" on the bar but the bar was defiantly bending quite a bit from the bands.

Leg exstentions and Leg curls

4 sets of 15 reps each with the stack..

JustJ
05-09-10, 1:09 pm
thats some nice squat work. i have a box of bands sitting here so if i ever give westside a try again i'll pull them out

Shawn Rainey
05-09-10, 2:18 pm
thats some nice squat work. i have a box of bands sitting here so if i ever give westside a try again i'll pull them out

yeah I really like the way the heavy tention felt on my legs.

NJC_Manhattan
05-09-10, 8:33 pm
Dude its been said, but youre putting up some serious numbers. I didnt realize a 1000 pound press was possible

Cyrus The Virus
05-09-10, 10:51 pm
Nice leg session.

eric downey
05-10-10, 12:07 am
nice work bro. keep it up

Shawn Rainey
05-10-10, 1:37 am
thanks for all the comments guys I will try to do my best and keep at it..

Shawn Rainey
05-10-10, 1:37 am
NO LIMIT TODAY!
Big max effort bench day here...

Today we tried our new shirts for the 1st time.. for thou's of you wondering I just got a new super katana from ken Anderson, Its a size 48 shirt with the chest plate brought down to a 44 and it has an extra long torso for ease of putting on and setting it up with a belt..
Awesome shirt, btw I have a 53.5 inch chest .. to give you an idea of the fit...

warm ups
grip work, dumbbell arm twists, dumbbell press and kennellys
Bench Press
Bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 3
Add 4 board
405 x 6
Put on Shirt and keep the 4 board for the rest of the sets
495 x 3
585 x 3
675 x 6 PR for reps
765 x 3 PR for weight and reps

I could have done over 800 today, I felt great, the shirt felt great, everything went very well. The 675 set felt like a feather to me I could have done 12 or more reps with this weight today,

On a side note tamara got up to 265 to 3 board and was doing well, this was her 1st time in a super katana shirt and she seems like this shirt is going to be a better fit for her. We took her shirt size up 2 sizes and only one size bigger on the chest plate but, she fit in this super katana much better than her F6.

Then I closed the work out with a few sets on the floor press with 225, nothing major here...

Good day thou I felt like I didn't have a limit today..

Shawn Rainey
05-11-10, 7:08 pm
Deadlifting at a new place today..
Rack Pull dead lifts today..

So today we focused on the top half of our dead lift

All sets were done raw, no suits at all..

Block dead lifts/ rack pulls from below knee

135 x 6
136 x 6
225 x 6
225 x 3
315 x 3
405 x 3
515 x 3
545 x 1
565 x 1
595 x 1

deads from the floor
315 x 10
315 x 10
315 x 10

Close grip lat pull downs
3 sets of 8 reps with 4 plates

Reverse Hypers
3 sets of 8 reps with 190 lbs

Kroc Rows
130's for 4 sets of 8 reps

Dead Lifts from floor

315 x 10
315 x 10

we called it there..

Shawn Rainey
05-12-10, 3:33 pm
here is the video from the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UMTQSh3OYg

again thanks Chris for the use of your gym!

Shawn Rainey
05-13-10, 12:23 am
getting stronger....
Bench Day.

Got after it today.. great work out!

Bench Press
Bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 6
225 x 6 + 150 lbs of chain
225 x 6 + 150 lbs of chain
275 x 3 + 200 lbs of chain
275 x 3 + 200 lbs of chain
Add very loose open back f6 bench shirt. size 56 I normaly wear a 46 if that gives a idea how loose this is..
315 x 3 + 200 lbs of chain (easy set)
315 x 3 + 200 lbs of chain ( felt good )
365 x 3 + 200 lbs of chain (easy set)

Floor Press
255 x 8
255 x 8
255 x 8

Bench Press
Loose f6 bench shirt
405 x 3 full range very easy
Put on new super katana shirt
585 x 3 to 3 board ( super easy )
675 x 3 to 3 board ( easy set )
765 x 0 to 3 board ( got out of grove I think and I was just tired, This did not feel heavy, I felt in great control but just worn out I guess. )

Dumbbell shoulder press
80's x 10 plus green bands from floor
80's x 8 plus green bands from floor
100's x 2 plus green bands from floor

Floor skull crushers
120 x 8
120 x 6

green band tricep press downs
3 sets of 10 reps

Bench Press
bar plus green bands doubled up this is a lot of band tension here
3 sets of 10 reps

wooo that was a good work out.. I feel great after all that.. Im getting stronger that is for sure...

ghost
05-13-10, 8:33 am
tamara hit 265? nice. video of the session was great man. glad to see you still kicking ass brother.

smoothballer
05-13-10, 12:11 pm
Sweet chest day man! But the real question is, did you get up off the bench after each set and check yourself out in the mirror? HAHAHAHAHA!

Shawn Rainey
05-13-10, 1:54 pm
Sweet chest day man! But the real question is, did you get up off the bench after each set and check yourself out in the mirror? HAHAHAHAHA!

LMAO.. no thank good where we are training there is no mirrors.. no of course I could ask Chris Duffin if he could strap a mirror to the celling so we can watch our selfs.. that way since were power lifters we can be lazy we dont even need to get up... lol

thanks thou... my body feels like I got hit by a truck this morning thou. that means its a good work out!

Cyrus The Virus
05-13-10, 5:21 pm
Congrats on the PR's and cool video. Keep up the good work.

Shawn Rainey
05-14-10, 1:39 am
Congrats on the PR's and cool video. Keep up the good work.

thanks, dont worry ill keep it up!

ronnie
05-14-10, 1:50 am
this looks like an exciting journey to follow! good luck to ya! some heavy, heavy weights being lifted here!

Shawn Rainey
05-14-10, 11:47 pm
In a super lift for the 1st time!
1st time in a mono lift or super lift..

today we did squats, this was the 1st time Ive ever been in a super lift. They are totally awesome but take some getting use too if your not use to lifting in one. For the last year and half I have been squatting in a power rack with a mirror in front of it. I think this was the problem today as I was having balance issues from depending on the mirror's.

Squats done raw

145 x 10
255 x 6
345 x 3
435 x 3
435 x 1
add box
525 x 1 ( felt pretty shaky with this, off on my balance)
615 x 0 ( got way off balance and leaned forward to much )
615 x 2 ( was able to keep my chest up a bit more but still struggled with this )

I think I might have been still tired from the dead lifts and benches earlier this week.

2 sets on the leg press and called it there, I can still feel my body needs rest right now.

Shawn Rainey
05-15-10, 10:37 pm
Ok so here is a video I put together just for fun

How Serious Are You?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrsiVWwoIs

Cyrus The Virus
05-18-10, 12:20 am
In a super lift for the 1st time!
1st time in a mono lift or super lift..

today we did squats, this was the 1st time Ive ever been in a super lift. They are totally awesome but take some getting use too if your not use to lifting in one. For the last year and half I have been squatting in a power rack with a mirror in front of it. I think this was the problem today as I was having balance issues from depending on the mirror's.

Squats done raw

145 x 10
255 x 6
345 x 3
435 x 3
435 x 1
add box
525 x 1 ( felt pretty shaky with this, off on my balance)
615 x 0 ( got way off balance and leaned forward to much )
615 x 2 ( was able to keep my chest up a bit more but still struggled with this )

I think I might have been still tired from the dead lifts and benches earlier this week.

2 sets on the leg press and called it there, I can still feel my body needs rest right now.

That is some nice work. I read in a book written by Mark Rippetoe that you should squat with out being in front of a mirror if possible.

Cyrus The Virus
05-18-10, 12:27 am
Ok so here is a video I put together just for fun

How Serious Are You?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrsiVWwoIs

Great video.

Shawn Rainey
05-18-10, 1:40 am
That is some nice work. I read in a book written by Mark Rippetoe that you should squat with out being in front of a mirror if possible.

yeah I deffently should have turned around in the power rack but I just spaced it or took the easy way out lol...

well not no more but It will take me probly a month of squating to get dialed back in.

Shawn Rainey
05-18-10, 1:47 am
Great video.

thanks just trying to get better at putting decent videos together ya know..

Cyrus The Virus
05-19-10, 1:26 am
yeah I deffently should have turned around in the power rack but I just spaced it or took the easy way out lol...

well not no more but It will take me probly a month of squating to get dialed back in.

It is hard for me because where both the squat racks are there are mirrors. I should try turning around in the rack.

Shawn Rainey
05-19-10, 3:11 am
It is hard for me because where both the squat racks are there are mirrors. I should try turning around in the rack.

yep I should have done that 6 or 8 months ago ... better later than never I guess..

Shawn Rainey
05-19-10, 11:52 pm
great bench work out
Getting stronger today!

Bench Day

Bar x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 2
Shirt Up in super katana
495 x 3 to 3 board
585 x 3 to 2 board
675 x 3 to 2 board was slow and steady on each rep but very controlled and solid
635 x 3 to 1 board this felt awesome I could have touched each of these for 3 reps

changed to Bench with dead lift bar that bends a lot more
95 lbs plus 120 lbs of kedel bells hanging from bands did 4 sets of 10 reps
These are a lot harder than they look, I also did all these with a very close grip, very bouncy and hard to control.

Tricep press downs with green bands and dumbbell curls to finish up the work out..

I was pissed today because I forgot to bring my camera, and damn today was a great work out wish I would have caught it on film.

Cyrus The Virus
05-20-10, 12:47 am
It would have been nice to see it on film especially the close grip press with keddle bells.

Shawn Rainey
05-20-10, 4:26 am
yes it would have been nice to see lol

oh btw everyone, Myself and one of my buddies are starting a foundation. (The Youth In Power Lifting Foundation ) The Goal is to raise money and gain sponsors for kids and youth to compete in power lifting basically. As well all know it can be very expensive to be a power lifter. So what were trying to do is help kids and teens who can't afford to be a power lifter or compete in meets because them or there family's just can't afford it. We plan on holding fund raisers and even going out into the public asking for donations and even offering products and or services for there donations. The bottom line is we want to give back and help kids who can't other wise do it. We have just started this project, so currently our goal is jut to make people aware of this. If you can go on face book and become a member of the group. This will help keep you informed on what we are doing and who we are helping. ( http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1022594869#!/group.php?gid=121268091238695&v=wall&ref=mf ) try copying and pasting that and you should get there if not message me and I will even send you an invite.

thanks for your time all.

Shawn Rainey
05-20-10, 8:35 pm
short and simple
Today we did shoulders and some back, today was pretty short and simple.

Military shoulder press (barbell )

55 x 10
55 x 10
105 x 10
145 x 10
165 x 8
165 x 8
185 x 8

Kettle bells shoulder swings from under the legs to shoulder hight!

64 lbs 3 sets of 10 reps

Rolling rope grip work 10 lbs for 4 sets up and down

Deadlifts
all deads were done raw and in conventional stance
from a 2 inch deficit
135 x 8
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 3
495 x 1
515 x 1
dead lift from floor
535 x 1
555 x .5 haha almost had this was a bit tired thou I guess
315 x 8
315 x 8

called it there for the day

deadlifts felt good today

video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-JfMsUklYY

__________________________________________________ __

Shawn Rainey
05-21-10, 8:19 pm
Got a new wide angle lens for my Camara can't wait to start to use it and get some diffrent persectives also I plan on getting a fish eye lens as well that will be great for over head benches and down low dead lift shots I think...

Shawn Rainey
05-22-10, 4:45 am
Hey whats up all, I just wanted to update people on this as I feel its important..

We now have a website up for YPL Foundation ( youth powerlifting foundation )

www.yplfoundation.net

there will be info being update there as well. I already have some people interested in volunteering to help. this is awesome I'm glad so many people see the good in this. thanks everyone.

Cyrus The Virus
05-23-10, 10:16 am
Cool website.

ghost
05-23-10, 10:18 am
Hey whats up all, I just wanted to update people on this as I feel its important..

We now have a website up for YPL Foundation ( youth powerlifting foundation )

www.yplfoundation.net

there will be info being update there as well. I already have some people interested in volunteering to help. this is awesome I'm glad so many people see the good in this. thanks everyone.
hell yeah man, ill call you monday if you are around with some updates. today is slammed with stuff at the house.

FITGYM
05-23-10, 10:29 am
Nice site and keep up the solid work

Shawn Rainey
05-23-10, 4:39 pm
Speed bench day with a shirt
So yesterday it was pretty low volume of work done but some good work reguardless

Bench Press
used a 55 lb squat bar
Bar x 10
145 x 10
235 x 10
235 x 6 plus 100 lbs of chain ( total 335 )
add loose f6 shirt ( this thing is so loose I slide it on myself over my t shirt haha )
235 x 3 plus 200 lbs of chain ( total 435 )
325 x 3 plus 200 lbs of chain ( total 525 )
325 x 3 plus 250 lbs of chain ( total 575 )
325 x 3 plus 250 lbs of chain ( total 575 )
355 x 3 plus 250 lbs of chain ( total 605 )
355 x 2 plus 250 lbs of chain ( total 605 )

Band Back pulls on bench from inside of mono lift
2 sets with I think 4 sets of bands

3 sets of curls with 50 lbs dumbbells

Called it a day there

Im avoiding squat and deadlift work right now because of my Gout, Im trying to get the current flare to go away fully so I can get some some meds to control it hopefully.

Shawn Rainey
05-23-10, 8:34 pm
Nice site and keep up the solid work

Thank you, We will.. there is a lot of interest in this by a lot of good people. So if we all work hard we all can make a huge difference in a lot of kids lives..

Shawn Rainey
05-25-10, 5:03 pm
Here is a video of part of the other days work out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSogcPUs8vQ

JustJ
05-25-10, 5:22 pm
Low volume or not,great session

NJC_Manhattan
05-25-10, 5:23 pm
Strong sessions

Shawn Rainey
05-27-10, 4:14 am
Benching
Max effort bench day

I wore my 2 ply apex shirt today.. for some reason I have a lot of balance and stability issues in that shirt.. for some reason I always feel like I have better control in my super katana.. not sure why...

bar x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 5
365 x 5
Add 3 board
495 x 4
Shirt up and goto 4 board
585 x 3
675 x 3
765 x 1 ( felt very sloppy with this.... )I didnt have the best hand off as chris isn't use to where I want it. so I ended up with a lot more weight to early and struggled just not to dump it in my face.. kinda scarry thought with 765 lbs haha good thing there is face gaurds and safty rack too on the bench... reguardless they gave me a good spot..
135 x 40
135 x 40
135 x 40

bench with deadlift bar that flexs more with 95 lbs plus about 110 lbs of keddel bells haning from bands from the ends.. very bouncy.. did this with close grip

3 sets x 10 reps

video coming later of the whole bench session with a bunch of people..

Plus tamara had a huge PR today..

she went full range in her shirt and nailed 205 for 2 reps and then came back and got another set for 3 reps.. she tryed 225 but somthing felt off at the bottom and had me take it but I think she should be able to press that. I think if she tryed it again right there she would have got it..

MsSnookie
05-27-10, 5:52 am
Benching
Max effort bench day

I wore my 2 ply apex shirt today.. for some reason I have a lot of balance and stability issues in that shirt.. for some reason I always feel like I have better control in my super katana.. not sure why...

bar x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 5
365 x 5
Add 3 board
495 x 4
Shirt up and goto 4 board
585 x 3
675 x 3
765 x 1 ( felt very sloppy with this.... )I didnt have the best hand off as chris isn't use to where I want it. so I ended up with a lot more weight to early and struggled just not to dump it in my face.. kinda scarry thought with 765 lbs haha good thing there is face gaurds and safty rack too on the bench... reguardless they gave me a good spot..
135 x 40
135 x 40
135 x 40

bench with deadlift bar that flexs more with 95 lbs plus about 110 lbs of keddel bells haning from bands from the ends.. very bouncy.. did this with close grip

3 sets x 10 reps

video coming later of the whole bench session with a bunch of people..

Plus tamara had a huge PR today..

she went full range in her shirt and nailed 205 for 2 reps and then came back and got another set for 3 reps.. she tryed 225 but somthing felt off at the bottom and had me take it but I think she should be able to press that. I think if she tryed it again right there she would have got it..

Thank you honey. We both are doing a GREAT job!
Tamara

Shawn Rainey
05-27-10, 2:28 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkXD4oqBPKc

Video from yesterdays work out!

Shawn Rainey
05-27-10, 9:43 pm
watch this video for fun too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brXjQsmw-0o

Shawn Rainey
05-28-10, 6:37 pm
speed speed day
Speed Bench Day with some pulls...

Since I wont be hitting the gym this weekend I got some light pulls in today with some speed benching...

Bench
bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
405 x 5

225 x 6 plus 200 lbs of chain (425 total)
225 x 6 plus 250 lbs of chain (475 total)
add loose f6 shirt
315 x 6 plus 250 lbs of chain (565 total)
375 x 3 plus 250 lbs of chain (625 total)

Deadlift

6 sets of 265 plus gaint white bands... felt like 375 to 405 at top.. did 3 reps for each set...

Band Tricep press downs

band pull aparts
called it there.. good little work out...

Cyrus The Virus
05-28-10, 7:15 pm
First, congrats to Tamara for a PR. Second, I do not know a lot about bench shirts. Are they made of the same material? That sucks that you do not have the same balance in the apex shirt.

Shawn Rainey
05-28-10, 8:29 pm
First, congrats to Tamara for a PR. Second, I do not know a lot about bench shirts. Are they made of the same material? That sucks that you do not have the same balance in the apex shirt.

different brands use slightly different materials and also different designs in the way its constructed and the cuts and sizing ect.. there are a lot of veribles. beginners wont probably see a difference or much of one from one shirt to another but the higher weight you get too and tighter shirt you get into it makes a HUGE difference.. For instance my single shirt now is a size 48 meaning its suppose to go on someone with a 48 inch chest but I have the shirt modified as well. The chest plate is the same size as a shirt size of 44. That is the area between the arm openings. here is the kicker I have a 53 inch chest. and then my 2 ply is a size 50. I have tryed getting into a 48 but can't quite fit because the material is a lot stiffer.

So as you can see the single ply fits a lot better and fits like a glove..

I also use a Titain F6 that is a size 56 for speed days.. not much support there but just a little bit at the bottom of the movement...

TO get an idea of how tight I like my comp shirts, I wear a shirt that most 180 to 200 lbs people wear and I'm 275 lbs. Hope that helps

LegendKillerJosh
05-28-10, 9:49 pm
Don't know how I just now came across this but this journey is sick. Lovin' it already! Nice work Shawn.

Shawn Rainey
05-29-10, 1:04 am
Don't know how I just now came across this but this journey is sick. Lovin' it already! Nice work Shawn.

haha thanks man.. I try my best to please!

Shawn Rainey
05-30-10, 12:07 am
here is new video log I did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=553dK89jmfQ

Cyrus The Virus
05-30-10, 10:02 am
different brands use slightly different materials and also different designs in the way its constructed and the cuts and sizing ect.. there are a lot of veribles. beginners wont probably see a difference or much of one from one shirt to another but the higher weight you get too and tighter shirt you get into it makes a HUGE difference.. For instance my single shirt now is a size 48 meaning its suppose to go on someone with a 48 inch chest but I have the shirt modified as well. The chest plate is the same size as a shirt size of 44. That is the area between the arm openings. here is the kicker I have a 53 inch chest. and then my 2 ply is a size 50. I have tryed getting into a 48 but can't quite fit because the material is a lot stiffer.

So as you can see the single ply fits a lot better and fits like a glove..

I also use a Titain F6 that is a size 56 for speed days.. not much support there but just a little bit at the bottom of the movement...

TO get an idea of how tight I like my comp shirts, I wear a shirt that most 180 to 200 lbs people wear and I'm 275 lbs. Hope that helps

Thanks, it helps me understand better now.

Shawn Rainey
05-31-10, 4:53 am
Thanks, it helps me understand better now.

Hey no Problem man

Shawn Rainey
06-01-10, 11:14 am
ok off to the gym to do leg day.. lets see how my ankle likes today...

JustJ
06-01-10, 12:11 pm
Dunno if you put it somewhere and I missed it, but whens your next meet?

Shawn Rainey
06-01-10, 7:33 pm
im planning a meet july 17th right now

Shawn Rainey
06-01-10, 7:45 pm
shut up and squat!
So Squat day today..

I tried my dead lift shoes for squats today as I think I'm going to switch to a bit of a wider stance. here was the sets for the day

Squat

145 x 10
235 x 6
325 x 6
415 x 3
465 x 3
325 x 3 plus 200 lbs of chain
325 x 1 plus 250 lbs of chain
325 x 3 plus 250 lbs of chain
325 x 3 plus 250 lbs of chain

Leg curl using red bands laying on a flat bench
4 sets of 15 to 20 reps

Leg exstentions
3 sets of 20 reps of various weights

inner and outer legs with bands

reverse hypers 3 sets of 10

Wingman
06-01-10, 8:06 pm
Damn bro that is some solid work! Strong squats for sure!

Shawn Rainey
06-02-10, 4:45 am
Damn bro that is some solid work! Strong squats for sure!

thanks man..

Shawn Rainey
06-02-10, 4:46 am
here is the new video of the day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwXJQGr7k1I

check it out!

ghost
06-02-10, 8:25 am
whats happenin Shawn!

Cyrus The Virus
06-03-10, 1:19 am
here is the new video of the day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwXJQGr7k1I

check it out!

Cool video, I am jealous that you have a monolift to squat in. Good luck on your try for 800 on the bench.

Shawn Rainey
06-03-10, 1:38 am
800 well kinda...
Bench today

bench press

bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
add 3 board
405 x 3
495 x 3
put on super katana shirt and keep 3 baord
585 x 3
655 x 3
change to 4 board
725 x 3
800 x 1 ( well sorta.. I moved it but lost it to the rack.. so ima call it an "event" haha.. But it was nice to see 800 in my hands. I handled it well..

So the next month or 2 ima do a lot of bench's in the 650 range to 1 to 2 board to build that range and develop comfort and speed with the weight...

then I did some band work with 225 and doubled red bands on the bench with close grip.. then I did some brand tricep and work and band fly's

called it a day there. I am going to do more accessory tomorrow.

Shawn Rainey
06-03-10, 1:46 am
Cool video, I am jealous that you have a monolift to squat in. Good luck on your try for 800 on the bench.

yeah its taken a bit to get use too....... its defiantly different than squatting in a rack.

Shawn Rainey
06-03-10, 3:39 am
wow I just watched the video of me doing that 800 lbs on the bench..wow I didn't think I moved it really at least not vertically.. but damn that moved fast up and over my head.. it exploded ( relativity speaking of course its 800 lbs after all ) but damn Im fully counting that rep then.. wow.. Ill have the video up probably tomorrow on it. damn that pressure of the weight must have twisted my vision or feel or whatever.. I dont know but it was hella crazy to have that in my hands...

Cyrus The Virus
06-03-10, 11:49 am
Congrats on getting 800, you are getting closer to your goal.

Shawn Rainey
06-03-10, 12:18 pm
Congrats on getting 800, you are getting closer to your goal.

thanks... yeah of course its 4 board but that is the 1st of many steps with a new weight.. So if its like the past it normally takes me about a year to move a weight from 4 board range to full range max. So maybe this time next year that will be my max. We will see wont we!

PS im uploading the video of the day right now to youtube.. so should be up in a few hours, I will post a link to it when its up!

JustJ
06-03-10, 1:04 pm
I posted this on my log,but figured itd be better to post it on yours,so:
Just looked up the vest. Think I'm gonna order one tonight. How do you cycle your board press? I mean,with westside (esp if I follow the 9 week template) its pretty much explicit,but if I wanted to do it with 5/3/1..how long would I work 5 boards before going down to 4 or 3 or etc? And what set/rep scheme? Thanks in advance

Shawn Rainey
06-03-10, 2:30 pm
here is the video from yesterday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plLbMD8PSu8

JustJ.. just a few quick questions 1st before I can answer that.. can you lay out your 5 3 1 program for me like how many weeks of each or send me to a link with whatever your following and I will lay out adjustments for it to add boards. thanks..

Shawn Rainey
06-03-10, 3:22 pm
ok I went and looked up Jim Wendler 5 3 1 system..

It looks like its 4 week cycles that more or less repeat them selfs...

so he says ..
Each training cycle lasts four weeks, with these set-rep goals for each major lift:

Week 1: 3 x 5
Week 2: 3 x 3
Week 3: 3 x 5, 3, 1
Week 4: deloading

I would add board work to weeks 1 and 3. Now this is assuming you only bench once a week.. if you split it and do it twice a week I would use boards on weeks 1 - 3. These would be your max effort (ME) days and then do your dynamic effort (DE) days 72 or so hours after your ME days. If you add DE days go ahead and keep the % around 45 to 55 % of your 1 Rep Max.

I really believe in DE days as they really have tought me how to push the bar with max force even when I feel weak. For instance yesterday I felt like shit and my arms hurt and everything felt heavy even 135. well guess what I got 800 on 4 board. Also if you are adding boards to your routine it makes it easier to do DE days as they take stress off your shoulders and your not working as hard so to speak so its easier to recover for a 2nd bench day each week.

So this is what I would do if I was you..

(ME) Week 1: 3 x 5 with 4 board*
(DE) 5 x 3 with 45 to 55 % and concentrate on trying to toss the weight throu the roof
(ME) Week 2: 3 x 3 with 3 board*
(DE) 5 x 3 with 45 to 55 %
(ME)Week 3: 3 x 5, 3, 1 with 2 board*
(DE) 5 x 3 with 45 to 55 %
(DE) Week 4: deloading ( stick to a DE type of workout here and only bench once this week)
(ME) Week 5: 3 x 5 with 1 board*
(DE) same as above
(ME) Week 6: 3 x 3 with no boards*
(DE) same as above
(ME) week 7: 3 x 5, 3, 1 with 4 board*
(DE) same as above
(DE) week 8: Deloading ( just one dynamic day here )
(ME) Week 9: 3 x 5 with 3 board*
(DE) same as above
(ME) Week 10: 3 x 3 with 2 board*
(DE) same as above
(ME) Week 11: 3 x 5, 3, 1 with 1 board*
(DE) same as above
Week 12.. wait till the end of the week so skip where you would do your ME day and wait till DE day and warm up and then max out...

I would be suprized if you don't add at least 40 to 60 lbs on your bench this way..

that is how I would modify the 5 3 1 and 90% of people dont have a need to go over 4 board unless you have really reallly long arms.

ghost
06-03-10, 3:47 pm
solid video from the presses brother. great job!

JustJ
06-03-10, 3:52 pm
Thanks for the write up! Originally I was thinking of using regular bench as my main movement with percentages,then following it with triples of board press. So you're suggesting to use board pressing in place of reg no board benching...so I'm assuming I'd need to find my maxes on each board so I would know what percentages to work off of(since my board presses should be stronger than no board)?

Shawn Rainey
06-03-10, 3:57 pm
Thanks for the write up! Originally I was thinking of using regular bench as my main movement with percentages,then following it with triples of board press. So you're suggesting to use board pressing in place of reg no board benching...so I'm assuming I'd need to find my maxes on each board so I would know what percentages to work off of(since my board presses should be stronger than no board)?

yeah your gonna have to figure that out.. for me personally I go by feel more.. I use to pay close attention to %'s but I got sick of all that, not to say its not good to follow Im just lazy and I dont want to think. After a while you will get to a point were you can just know how much to put on.

also you want to do your warm up sets.. the write up is just your working sets so to speak.. also feel free to add sets as you go thou it you might feel like you want to add 1 to 2 more sets and that is totally ok..

JustJ
06-03-10, 4:14 pm
yeah your gonna have to figure that out.. for me personally I go by feel more.. I use to pay close attention to %'s but I got sick of all that, not to say its not good to follow Im just lazy and I dont want to think. After a while you will get to a point were you can just know how much to put on.

also you want to do your warm up sets.. the write up is just your working sets so to speak.. also feel free to add sets as you go thou it you might feel like you want to add 1 to 2 more sets and that is totally ok..
Cool thanks. Guess I'm just worried about losing my bottom portion of the bench if I train boards as my ME and only have one bench day.

Shawn Rainey
06-03-10, 6:36 pm
Cool thanks. Guess I'm just worried about losing my bottom portion of the bench if I train boards as my ME and only have one bench day.

if you find that you develop alot of lock out but no bottom do more dumbbell work and then add bands to your DE day and that will help alot too..

Wingman
06-03-10, 7:17 pm
Dam bro ur killin it in here.

Shawn Rainey
06-04-10, 1:05 am
Dam bro ur killin it in here.

haha thanks

Shawn Rainey
06-04-10, 1:23 am
deadlifting PR
So we did pulls from blocks today, just below knee hight

Deads from blocks

135 x 10 then went into a hang pull set for 8 reps
135 x 10 then went into a hang pull set for 8 reps
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 3
495 x 3
585 x 3
635 x 1 PR
655 x 1 PR
675 x 0.. to tired and quite possibly to heavy ;-)

shrugs
135 x 8
225 x 8
315 x 8
315 x 8
315 x 8

Kroc Rows

115 x 8
215 x 6
215 x 6

nosie pulls and body weight lat pulls to bar...

called it a day there.. body was still beat up from benching 800 the day before..

FITGYM
06-04-10, 3:31 am
Inspiring as always Shawn...Hope I'm there when you hit your goal

Shawn Rainey
06-04-10, 2:37 pm
Inspiring as always Shawn...Hope I'm there when you hit your goal

thanks

Shawn Rainey
06-05-10, 3:58 am
Ok in the morning we start the move of 3 groups of peoples gear to 1 location to make one GYM with about 60 powerlifters.. This could easly turn into the strongest gym on the west coast.. I mean we have 7 or 8 guys with over 600 lbs benchs and 1 with over 700 and 2 others knocking on the door.. as well as a host of big squaters and one 800 lbs deadlifter at 198 weight class.. and there is a hand full of lady's too one of them has a 400 lbs bench... I mean comon.. THIS IS AWESOME! Can't WAIT!

Cyrus The Virus
06-05-10, 10:20 pm
Ok in the morning we start the move of 3 groups of peoples gear to 1 location to make one GYM with about 60 powerlifters.. This could easly turn into the strongest gym on the west coast.. I mean we have 7 or 8 guys with over 600 lbs benchs and 1 with over 700 and 2 others knocking on the door.. as well as a host of big squaters and one 800 lbs deadlifter at 198 weight class.. and there is a hand full of lady's too one of them has a 400 lbs bench... I mean comon.. THIS IS AWESOME! Can't WAIT!

Good luck with the move. That is going to be a great place to train, lots of motivation.

Shawn Rainey
06-06-10, 7:48 pm
video of some of the move...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz93lRdFB88

Shawn Rainey
06-07-10, 2:02 am
for thou's who are wondering.. this gym is turning out awesome, defiantly might be the strongest gym on the west coast and for sure is the strongest in the Northwest.. the number of beasts there is staggering.. defiantly the type of environment that will push you to the limits every workout!

Shawn Rainey
06-08-10, 12:02 am
High Volume bench day!
Today was another bench day.. so this is how it went

Warm ups
dumbbell push ups 3 x 15
dumbbell rows 3 x 10 with 50 lbs

Bench
bar x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 3 to 1 board
Put bench shirt on
495 x 3 to 2 board
585 x 3 to 2 board
605 x 3 to 1 board
605 x 3 to 1 board
605 x 3 to 1 board
605 x 3 to 1 board
625 x 3 to 1 board
635 x 3 to 1 board

laying pull ups to chest 3 sets of 10 reps

wood chops with sledge hammer on big tire

so all the sets felt pretty easy and work out was awesome!

Shawn Rainey
06-09-10, 11:46 pm
lol ok so last night we filmed a comedy video making fun of our friend stuart.. and if you know him he acts just like this.. well I kinda pushed it a bit but the basics are the same so this is pretty funny.. So beware there is some cussing in the video as its to mimic him.. Its a funny ass video thou...

Stuart is in love with a crack head!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NSU9MgOG20

Cyrus The Virus
06-10-10, 1:45 am
Funny video.

Shawn Rainey
06-10-10, 2:44 am
Funny video.

I know its not powerlifting related but I just thought It was too funny not to share...

Shawn Rainey
06-11-10, 11:54 pm
good work out!
Today I did my speed bench day with Adrian Larsen ( btw his best bench in comp is 710 )

Bench press

doubled up thin bands ( 100 lbs of tension )
bar x 10 ( 145 )
135 x 10 ( 235 )
add another set of bands ( 100 lbs of tension )
135 x 3 close, 3 mid, 3 wide grips (335)
135 x 3 mid, 3 wide plus 100 lbs of chain (435)
add loose f6 shirt
225 x 3 close, 3 mid, 3 wide grips (425)
315 x 3 wide (515)

3 sets of kennellys with 30 lbs kedal bells

Bench with deadlift bar with 2 sets of kedal bells haning off the ends with bands
about 225 lbs of total weight

close grip 3 sets of 3 and 1 set of 10

100 lbs dumbbell presses for 15 reps

over head tricep presses with bands from behind
3 sets of 10

Beat a tired with a sledge hammer for 4 sets of 15 to 20 reps

2 sets of seated sled pulls with rope 175 lbs

that was it for the day.. got a good work out!

Video coming later

Cyrus The Virus
06-12-10, 1:30 am
good work out!
Today I did my speed bench day with Adrian Larsen ( btw his best bench in comp is 710 )

Bench press

doubled up thin bands ( 100 lbs of tension )
bar x 10 ( 145 )
135 x 10 ( 235 )
add another set of bands ( 100 lbs of tension )
135 x 3 mid, 3 wide plus 100 lbs of chain (435)
add loose f6 shirt
225 x 3 close, 3 mid, 3 wide grips (425)
315 x 3 wide (515)

3 sets of kennellys with 30 lbs kedal bells

Bench with deadlift bar with 2 sets of kedal bells haning off the ends with bands
about 225 lbs of total weight

close grip 3 sets of 3 and 1 set of 10

100 lbs dumbbell presses for 15 reps

over head tricep presses with bands from behind
3 sets of 10

Beat a tired with a sledge hammer for 4 sets of 15 to 20 reps

2 sets of seated sled pulls with rope 175 lbs

that was it for the day.. got a good work out!

Video coming later

Wow, how did you feel after this session?

Shawn Rainey
06-12-10, 3:31 am
Wow, how did you feel after this session?

haha got a good sweat going.. but other than that I feel fine..tomarrow deadlifts at 8 am...

Shawn Rainey
06-12-10, 7:01 pm
here is some video from the day.. I got a bit creative with the effects lighting for somthing diffrent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ijecxwh8YI

Shawn Rainey
06-12-10, 10:52 pm
So I got my 1st multi ply squat suit today. A Titain Boss from Ken Anderson ( http://andersonpowerlifting.com/ ) He always does a great job with fitting for me. and amzing customer service..

Anyways I tryed it on couldn't quite get it on all the way so that means its a perfect fit haha..

Now I am going to have to learn to use it and wear it So this will also be something to follow on here for sure. .. good and bad I will report it!

FITGYM
06-13-10, 12:58 am
That suit sounds like it fits perfect Shawn. I look forward to seeing your progress

Shawn Rainey
06-13-10, 2:52 am
That suit sounds like it fits perfect Shawn. I look forward to seeing your progress

yeah it should be intresting since the last time I had a squat suit on was in 1999 and that was a inzer z suit... and I remember back then I was amazed at how power that was haha.. this compaired is like steel reinforced hahah

Shawn Rainey
06-15-10, 2:05 am
squat with a limp
Squat today..

I got my titan boss suit the other day..So today I tryed it out...

So this moring I woke up with my gout just killing me.. could bairly walk.. more like limp, so I wasnt sure if I was gonna be able to squat today.

Well I went to the gym limping anyways.. and forced myself to squat!

Squat..
145 x 10
235 x 6
325 x 3
Put suit on..
I couldnt get the suit quite all the way up but was close. So I was having a hard time sitting back and getting my knees out. but here is the rest of the sets
415 x 3
505 x 3
505 x 3
615 x 3
615 x 3
665 x 3
705 x 2.. on this set we tighted up the straps .. big mistake.. made it really hard to sit back.. weight rocked up but I was having trouble with the balance and stumbled back on my 2nd rep.

wow this is alot of suit... I am very happy with it.. everything felt light im sure a 900+ squat will come as soon as I get more comfortalbe with it.

I called it there since I was limping all work out.. and after..

Video coming soon...

Shawn Rainey
06-15-10, 2:36 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJx7rtVPARM

there is the video

Wingman
06-15-10, 2:59 pm
Great work man. The video looked good as well. 900 is some serious shit!

Shawn Rainey
06-15-10, 4:51 pm

havent hit it yet but give it time..

FITGYM
06-15-10, 7:31 pm

What He Said

JustJ
06-16-10, 1:20 am
That's some big squatting. Awesome stuff.

Shawn Rainey
06-17-10, 3:04 am
MORE BENCHING!
Massive amounts of bench press

Bench
bar x 10
bar x 10
135 x 10 wide grip
135 x 10 mid grip
225 x 6 wide grip
225 x 6 mid grip
315 x 3 wide grip
315 x 3 mid grip
405 x 3 wide grip
add 3 board
495 x 3
shirt up super katana
585 x 3 off 3 board
625 x 3 off 2 board
715 x 2 off 2 board
765 x 1 off 2 board
765 x 1 off 2 board
805 x 1 off 4 board
645 x 2 off 1 board
645 x 2 off 1 board

Flat dummbell bench 3 sets of 8 reps with 120 lbs dumbbells

Crazy bells bench press.. ( kedele bells haning from bands off the bar bouncing )

165 x 3 sets of 8 reps plus bells hanging

tricep press downs 4 sets of weight and 4 sets of bands

called it a day there.

video coming later

Shawn Rainey
06-17-10, 3:11 am
btw i just did the math on the day I did 39,025 lbs total lifted for the day.. shoot I might start keeping track of this good way to figure my work loads..

Shawn Rainey
06-19-10, 12:27 am
ok here is a video from the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOk8CICa5c

FITGYM
06-19-10, 12:34 am
ok here is a video from the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzok8cica5c

solid workout there....

Shawn Rainey
06-19-10, 4:13 am
solid workout there....

thx

JustJ
06-19-10, 4:39 pm
Damn crazy benching

Shawn Rainey
06-19-10, 7:19 pm
Damn crazy benching

haha thanks

Cyrus The Virus
06-20-10, 11:35 pm
Good squat and bench session. How long does it usually take to break in a squat suit?

Shawn Rainey
06-21-10, 2:32 am
Good squat and bench session. How long does it usually take to break in a squat suit?

im not sure with this suit since I havent squated in a suit in a long time so ima say probly a few weeks maybe a month or 2 .. im not to sure thou..

Shawn Rainey
06-21-10, 11:53 pm
2nd squat day in squat suit.
2nd time in the squat suit..

warm ups

bar(55 lbs) x 10
165 x 10
275 x 6
385 x 3
add suit
495 x 3 straps down
605 x 3 straps up
605 x 2
605 x 3
715 x 3
783 x 2

everything felt light today but was working on my from trying to get my back tight and upright.. I did this by changing my grip back in to keep everything tight of course I was forced to put on wrist wraps on to keep the tork down on my wrists. But todays work out felt much stronger and I felt in better balance once I changed hand placement. I deffently wasnt near my max yet so that is a good sign of things to come...

then I did sled pushes (180 lbs) 3 sets about 30 yards up and back and then did 2 sets of tire drags

called it there I was pretty tired after that..

Shawn Rainey
06-24-10, 1:27 am
getting ready for next meet
Bench day getting ready for olymipa

bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 5
shirt up
495 x 3 to 3 board
617 x 3 to 2 board
617 x 1 to 1 board
617 x 1 to 1 board
668 x 1 to 1 board
707 x 1 to 1 board... I just missed this, wow it was close ( btw that is 3 lbs short of the current world record I would like to get this year, held by Adrian Larsen who btw is one of my training partners. )

back to raw and to close grip
135 x 5 plus 100 lbs of chain

Some tricep work after this...

Cyrus The Virus
06-24-10, 9:03 pm
How much longer until your next meet?

Shawn Rainey
06-24-10, 11:09 pm
How much longer until your next meet?

July 17th is the next one.. this is our team for this meet

these numbers are "abouts" for what we want to hit.
(M)Shawn Rainey - 259 OPEN weight class - Bench 675 to 715 range
(M)Adrian Larsen - 275 OPEN weight class - Bench 770 to 815 range
(M)Ben brizendine - 198 OPEN weight class - Bench 625 to 675 range
(F)Tamara Snook - 198 JUNIOR weight class - Bench 215 to 230 range
(F)Sheri Klocle - 165 MASTERS 40- 46 weight class - Bench 300 to 340 range
(M)David Thompson - 181 OPEN & MASTERS weight class - Bench 550 to 650 range
(M)Chris Henry - 275 CLASS 1 & OPEN weight class - Bench 550 to 650 range

and about 8 more guys in the 350 to 500 range as well.

as you can see we have alot of great bench pressers..

and our gym has probly 25 world class level bench pressers and powerlifters there. to many to mention really!

Its awesome working out with these people!

JustJ
06-24-10, 11:45 pm
Awesome benching as always Shawn. Looks like you have a great team for the meet.

Shawn Rainey
06-24-10, 11:47 pm
Awesome benching as always Shawn. Looks like you have a great team for the meet.

thank you .. and yes, I have to work my ass off just to keep up with everyone.. its a great environment because no one wants to be 2nd best haha..

Cyrus The Virus
06-25-10, 11:47 pm
July 17th is the next one.. this is our team for this meet

these numbers are "abouts" for what we want to hit.
(M)Shawn Rainey - 259 OPEN weight class - Bench 675 to 715 range
(M)Adrian Larsen - 275 OPEN weight class - Bench 770 to 815 range
(M)Ben brizendine - 198 OPEN weight class - Bench 625 to 675 range
(F)Tamara Snook - 198 JUNIOR weight class - Bench 215 to 230 range
(F)Sheri Klocle - 165 MASTERS 40- 46 weight class - Bench 300 to 340 range
(M)David Thompson - 181 OPEN & MASTERS weight class - Bench 550 to 650 range
(M)Chris Henry - 275 CLASS 1 & OPEN weight class - Bench 550 to 650 range

and about 8 more guys in the 350 to 500 range as well.

as you can see we have alot of great bench pressers..

and our gym has probly 25 world class level bench pressers and powerlifters there. to many to mention really!

Its awesome working out with these people!

Good luck to all of your team. Hope someone takes a video camera to record the meet.

Shawn Rainey
06-26-10, 2:32 pm
Good luck to all of your team. Hope someone takes a video camera to record the meet.

yeah the plan is to bring a Camara man too..

Shawn Rainey
06-27-10, 2:37 am
Dead Lift
Ok so went to the gym yesterday and did some deadlifts

Deadlift

165 x 10
275 x 3
275 x 3
445 x 1 for 10 sets with 30 seconds rest between each set
550 x 0.. wow that isn't good at all.. o well I didn't get much sleep the night before so it was to be expected

some low back work on the reverse hyper and hyper and some seated lat pulls.

I wont be dead lifting at this meet in Olympia as I have already qualified for worlds in it and I just need some more training in it.

Shawn Rainey
06-27-10, 11:45 pm
http://youtu.be/eTCWn-UbmNY

there is the video from the deadlifts I did the other day.

Shawn Rainey
06-29-10, 2:33 am
here is another video ... this is just kinda like a trailor for my channel with some sweet music with it! check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpDiOmrY5tU

Shawn Rainey
07-01-10, 7:38 pm
Bench day

Bench Press

bar x 10
bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
405 x 3 to 1 board raw
shirt up
545 x 3 to 1 board
615 x 2 to 1 board
615 x 1 to 1 board
645 x 1 to 1 board

Take off shirt
drop weight to 185 of bar weight for rest of sets and use longer dead lift bar
add 1 green band streched under bench from one end of bar to other
2 sets of 8 reps
add 1 red bad to the green one
2 sets of 8 reps
add 100 lbs of chain to the 2 bands and bar weight
1 set of 3 reps
add 50 more lbs of chain to the 2 bands and bar weight
1 set of 3 reps
add 2 35 lbs keddle bells hanging from bar ends by bands, to the 2 bands ( red and green ) and 150 lbs of chain and 185 lbs of free weight.
2 set of 3 reps

talk about working lock out strength, that is a good way to do it.

after that I did some tricep and shoulder work including some ring push ups.

called it a day there but I felt like I was being lazy that day.. grrrr... im kicking myself for not working harder..

Cyrus The Virus
07-01-10, 9:35 pm
Cool videos. Solid bench session.

JustJ
07-02-10, 12:24 pm
Felt lazy? Shit that was a ton of work,dunnow how you do it. Impressive.

Shawn Rainey
07-02-10, 11:20 pm
Felt lazy? Shit that was a ton of work,dunnow how you do it. Impressive.

thank you JustJ.. I guess im just use to higher work loads and more volume!

Shawn Rainey
07-02-10, 11:21 pm
NOT BAD FOR A GIRL!
Speed bench day!

So I know what your thinking, "wasn't your max effort just 2 days before?"
well yes it was, and your point? haha yeah kinda early but adrian was doing his today so why not. Time to stop being a pussy and push some weight around.

So I kept it pretty simple today and just used chains and lots of them

Bench
Bar x 10
bar x 10
bar x 10
135 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 3 plus 100 lbs of chain
135 x 3 plus 150 lbs of chain
135 x 3 plus 200 lbs of chain
135 x 3 plus 300 lbs of chain
225 x 3
135 x 10

then I did some dumbbell hammer curls 3 sets of 8 reps
then I did 3 sets of 6 reps of dips from rings suspended from the ceiling.. holy crap thous are hard just to stay up. Since there not solid and just want to swing around. ( This is the same as what gymnasts use )

then I spent the rest of the time helping tamara get ready for this meet, this is what she did and had some PR's

warm up sets ect..

135 x 3
175 x 1 ( this will be her opener next meet )
205 x 1
215 x 1 PR ( and this is 1 lbs over the current wabdl world record for her age and weight )
220 x 1 PR
225 x 1 PR - Finally she can now say she is in the 2 wheel club.. that is awesome! and to think she is only 20 years old. Not bad for a girl!

I am very proud of her and she is making progress and has a lot of potential for the future!

Cyrus The Virus
07-02-10, 11:53 pm
NOT BAD FOR A GIRL!
Speed bench day!

So I know what your thinking, "wasn't your max effort just 2 days before?"
well yes it was, and your point? haha yeah kinda early but adrian was doing his today so why not. Time to stop being a pussy and push some weight around.

So I kept it pretty simple today and just used chains and lots of them

Bench
Bar x 10
bar x 10
bar x 10
135 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 3 plus 150 lbs of chain
225 x 3
135 x 10

then I did some dumbbell hammer curls 3 sets of 8 reps
then I did 3 sets of 6 reps of dips from rings suspended from the ceiling.. holy crap thous are hard just to stay up. Since there not solid and just want to swing around. ( This is the same as what gymnasts use )

then I spent the rest of the time helping tamara get ready for this meet, this is what she did and had some PR's

warm up sets ect..

135 x 3
175 x 1 ( this will be her opener next meet )
205 x 1
215 x 1 PR ( and this is 1 lbs over the current wabdl world record for her age and weight )
220 x 1 PR
225 x 1 PR - Finally she can now say she is in the 2 wheel club.. that is awesome! and to think she is only 20 years old. Not bad for a girl!

I am very proud of her and she is making progress and has a lot of potential for the future!

I think she is going kick some butt at that meet. I wanted to let you know that I just read an article on EliteFts' website about gout and training and thought you might be interested in it since you have it.

Shawn Rainey
07-03-10, 12:53 am
I think she is going kick some butt at that meet. I wanted to let you know that I just read an article on EliteFts' website about gout and training and thought you might be interested in it since you have it.

awesome.. thanks man.. good looking out.. I just went and read it.. alot of the same info I have read and done, its just intresting how it can be so diffrent for diffrent people..

Shawn Rainey
07-06-10, 2:25 am
Band dead day
So instead of squating today we did some deadlifts with bands..

deadlifts
135 x 6
135 x 6
Add bands 220 lbs of tention at top
135 x 3
135 x 3
225 x 3
315 x 1
315 x 1
365 x 1
365 x 1
410 x 1
410 x 1
410 x 1
365 x 1 added another set of bands for ( 300 at top )
315 x .5 added another heavyer band green ( probly about 450 to 500 lbs of tention at top.. this was way to much )

3 sets of seated rows with weight and bands
Bent over rows with 225 3 sets of 8 reps

called it there

Cyrus The Virus
07-08-10, 2:21 am
Band dead day
So instead of squating today we did some deadlifts with bands..

deadlifts
135 x 6
135 x 6
Add bands 220 lbs of tention at top
135 x 3
135 x 3
225 x 3
315 x 1
315 x 1
365 x 1
365 x 1
410 x 1
410 x 1
410 x 1
365 x 1 added another set of bands for ( 300 at top )
315 x .5 added another heavyer band green ( probly about 450 to 500 lbs of tention at top.. this was way to much )

3 sets of seated rows with weight and bands
Bent over rows with 225 3 sets of 8 reps

called it there

How did that last set feel?

Shawn Rainey
07-08-10, 2:41 am
How did that last set feel?

well it came off the floor to my knees quick, but then it stopped like a was welded to the floor. yeah it got heavy as hell very fast.

Shawn Rainey
07-08-10, 2:42 am
Trying to kick this cold!
Ok the last few days I have been fighting this damn cold. hacking up shit for the last few days all day long.. not fun!

Anyways today was the last bench day before Olympia, it went ok but I am a bit frustrated I didn't perform as well as I wanted too. I felt like I couldnt get set up and tight like I normaly do. My arch felt horible and it was like I was benching on a water bed today... well that is how it felt and Ben said it looked just like that. GRRR pisses me off.

Bench
135 x 5 wide grip
135 x 5 mid grip
225 x 5 wide grip
225 x 5 mid grip
315 x 3
415 x 1 had a bit of help with this.. should have known then it wasn't gonna be great.
Shirt up into super katana shirt I will be wearing at the meet.
505 x 2 to 2 board
565 x 1 full range ( felt off balance like one side was way heavier than the other )
605 x 1 full range ( got it, but moved slow, no speed )
635 x 1 full range ( again got it, faster off the chest but weak transition speed )
655 x 0 full range ( Felt like the shirt binded up on me in a weird way and had to have spotters take it, I was tired as hell after this set )

I called it there and helped tamara with her sets and found her openner is going to be 187.2 lbs. this will be easy for her as 185 today looked like a warm up set and she slammed up 215 today with no problems. I am going to open with 584, I was thinking before today's work out of opening 607 but I wanna make sure I get a lift in. 606 is the open WA state 259 record that im sure I will break and it looks like adrian's 710 record will be safe at least till worlds.

Cyrus The Virus
07-08-10, 11:37 pm
Hope you start feeling better before your meet. Good luck to the both of you.

JustJ
07-09-10, 3:45 am
I'm sure you and Tamara will do great at the meet. Just get over that cold. What's your opinion on huge arch vs small arch? I know a big arch reduces range of motion and is supposed to be uncomfortable,but sometimes I feel I do better with a minimal arch

Shawn Rainey
07-09-10, 12:40 pm
I'm sure you and Tamara will do great at the meet. Just get over that cold. What's your opinion on huge arch vs small arch? I know a big arch reduces range of motion and is supposed to be uncomfortable,but sometimes I feel I do better with a minimal arch

Ive always had a pretty good arch, and it really hasnt been painfull at all. ( except when I was 180 with 2 blown out disks in my low back ) but I have worked on my low back flexiblity. Im alot more powerfull from my arch as long as I can keep it and the base solid. But its like the last 2 weeks my back flattens out as I lower the bar. as im typing this Im thinking it might be my foot placement causing the issue.

JustJ
07-09-10, 1:19 pm
Ive always had a pretty good arch, and it really hasnt been painfull at all. ( except when I was 180 with 2 blown out disks in my low back ) but I have worked on my low back flexiblity. Im alot more powerfull from my arch as long as I can keep it and the base solid. But its like the last 2 weeks my back flattens out as I lower the bar. as im typing this Im thinking it might be my foot placement causing the issue.

Hmm. You'd know better than I would. I was just curious if an arch could be more of a hinderance to some people, for whatever the reason (just been seeing some big benchers-well,big compared to me- with minimal arch and its made me rethink straining myself trying to get a huge arch).

Shawn Rainey
07-10-10, 3:59 am
Hmm. You'd know better than I would. I was just curious if an arch could be more of a hinderance to some people, for whatever the reason (just been seeing some big benchers-well,big compared to me- with minimal arch and its made me rethink straining myself trying to get a huge arch).

well its just a matter of flexiblity more than anything.. some people are more flexible than others and some people work at it more than others, ya feel me?

not to say you cant have a big bench without a big arch.. there is big benchers from damn near no arch... ( mark Bell) to guys with huge arches... even ryan kennelly has an advrage arch and mendy's isnt amazing..

I use a a big arch because it gives me more levrage doesnt mean im stronger than the guy I beat. In fact I honestly can say alot of the people that I do beat are way stronger than me but I just have better form most of the time and have learned to get more out of my shirt because of my form.

JustJ
07-10-10, 5:07 am
well its just a matter of flexiblity more than anything.. some people are more flexible than others and some people work at it more than others, ya feel me?

not to say you cant have a big bench without a big arch.. there is big benchers from damn near no arch... ( mark Bell) to guys with huge arches... even ryan kennelly has an advrage arch and mendy's isnt amazing..

I use a a big arch because it gives me more levrage doesnt mean im stronger than the guy I beat. In fact I honestly can say alot of the people that I do beat are way stronger than me but I just have better form most of the time and have learned to get more out of my shirt because of my form.

That answers my question,thanks. Guess I'll just try a big arch and minimal arch and see which is more natural+makes it easier to move the weight.

Wingman
07-10-10, 10:13 am
Sessions are looking real solid man. Keep it goin. Good luck with your meet.