PDA

View Full Version : My cutting routine. Need opinions.

A.A.
04-07-10, 3:13 am
I am starting a cutting routine to prepare for the summer (sun, sea, girls etc. Usual stuff) and I need opinions on if it's good enough and what could/should be changed.

My stats for now.
5.6 height. 210.4 lbs. 18 years old. Would consider myself as a hard-gainer. Gain muscles pretty fast due to genetics. Hard-worker, always give my max in the gym when know what to do.

Diet.
Around 2.4k-2.7k calories.
No junk at all. (bread/ cakes/ chocolate, this kind of stuff)
Breakfast usually either eggs/omelet/flakes...easy stuff like that at 8am.
Snack at 10:15. Universal HI Protein Bar.
Lunch 12:00. Usually a LOT of protein (chicken, fish, meat - this is always the same) For carbs only vegies (lots...shit lots) and if some other carbs,like potatoes or rice, then only a small amounts, max 1 cup.
Snack 2:30 Universal HI Protein Bar.
4pm workout.
7pm dinner - just protein source food (chocken,etc) and for carbs only veggies.

Supplemets using: Stak, Cuts, Nitro, Omega, Flex, PM, Uni-Liver, Universal HI Protein Bars.
Morning - multi-vitamis/Animal Nitro/ Cuts
Snacks: Universal HI Protein Bars.
Before lunch: Cuts
After lunch: Stak (cos its the last meal pre workouot)/ Omega
Pre-work out 3:30 - Pump
During: Just water. Didn't like Intra-Aid.
Post-workut: Nitro, Carb/Prot shake/Hi Protein Bar.
Before Bad: PM and Flex.

Workout Split: Got from my couch. Very experienced guy.
Mon - Upper Body.
Tue - Lower Body
Wed - Cardio day. 1hour-1.5h of just different cardio with moderate speed.
Thur - Upper Body.
Fri - Lower body
Sat - Cardio Day
Sun - Cardio Day

All the reps ranges vary between 10-12 reps and the rest time is around 45-1 min max.
I don't get really overtrained, so don't have to worry about the off day.

The Goal: to lose around 10-20 pounds in 2 month (8 weeks) without loosing too much muscle.

Now, I would really appreciate your opinions, ideas, what should be changed or added.

Thanks.
A.A. out.

Toro
04-07-10, 4:09 pm
Hi A.A.,

your cutting routine looks very good IMO.

I would maybe drop those protein bars for a better quality protein source such as tuna cans, the bars often have too much crap in them.

In addition, i would recommend to spread the cardio among the week. Maybe try doing 30-45 moderate speed sessions each day in the morning, just after you wake up, on an empty stomach. By doing often, short sessions rather than seldom, long ones, you make sure you minimize the muscle loss during the cut.

College Boy
04-07-10, 5:03 pm
I would agree that maybe the bars could go in favor of 8oz. of chicken or a shake - I'm not sure but i think the bars generally have carbs int hem that you don't want. Otherwise, I have followed a very similiar cutting scheme for 5 weeks and have dropped about 5lbs, losing no strength. I take Animal Cuts in the morning before my first meal and do starvation cardio for 30, along with another 45 after lifting.

Muscleguy93
04-07-10, 8:29 pm
. Would consider myself as a hard-gainer. Gain muscles pretty fast due to genetics. Hard-worker, always give my max in the gym when know what to do.

I don't get really overtrained, so don't have to worry about the off day.

A.A. out.

Hm...hard gainer with good muscle building genetics, makes alot of sense. I dont care who you are, you need a rest day man, even IFBB pros with juice take off days. Now for the routine, keep the same routine you had while bulking(if you ever did bulk) dont change your routine becuase your losing fat, think about it, what made you big? Heavey weights, high intensity training, and thats what is going to keep you big. your diet, i'd take out the protien bars stick to real food.

A.A.
04-08-10, 1:21 am
"Maybe try doing 30-45 moderate speed sessions each day in the morning, just after you wake up, on an empty stomach".

I am not really able to do cardio in the morning,because I have classes from 8 to 2:30 and the only open time for me to do sports is from 3 to 6, thats why I only do cardio on those times. On weekends, yes, I am able to do cardio first thing in the morning on the empty stomach before consuming any food.

milkman04
04-08-10, 1:52 am
Everything looks good except there's no rest days. I'd take at least 1 or 2 days off a week. And instead of a dedicating days to cardio I'd add some in after my weights, 20 minutes of stairclimber or elliptical.

PORTERHOUSE
04-08-10, 3:54 pm
"Maybe try doing 30-45 moderate speed sessions each day in the morning, just after you wake up, on an empty stomach".

I am not really able to do cardio in the morning,because I have classes from 8 to 2:30 and the only open time for me to do sports is from 3 to 6, thats why I only do cardio on those times. On weekends, yes, I am able to do cardio first thing in the morning on the empty stomach before consuming any food.

Don't make excuses for yourself get up earlier and do cardio. I got class at 8 in the morning as well, i do cardio at 530 or 6.

Everyone has to make sacrifices to get ahead. Those who make those big sacrifices when it counts will stand out amongst the crowd, those who don't will blend in.

A.A.
04-08-10, 4:46 pm
Okey. I actually changed my schedule today a little. Even before I saw the last message from DBO3570, which motivated me and added a 2nd push to my mind.

I will be waking up in the morning before first meal at around 6:30, because I noticed that when I take Animal PM, I just cant fall asleep after 6am. I go to bed at 11pm and take it, and at 6 I wake up and have trouble falling asleep and the thing is that it's not bad. It's not that I wake up and cannot sleep and have lack of energy. I wake up, because I feel fresh and full of energy which lasts me for the whole day.

But I would just like to know why cardio in the morning is better? For how long should I do it? And is it ok to do cardio in the morning and do my normal schedule for weights and cardio in the late afternoon?

Toro
04-08-10, 6:18 pm
Cardio first thing in the morning is best since you are working on an empty stomach after 7-8 hours of sleep, therefore you being depleted. As no other energy sources are available, addipose tissue (fat) breaking is favoured. I would try to hit 30-45 mins with moderate intesity.

And no, there is no problem in doing a second sessions late afternoon.

A.A.
04-09-10, 2:19 am
And one more thing...After the morning cardio session, how much time should I wait before consuming any food?

blaine
04-09-10, 2:50 am
you would be better off doing your cardio right after your workout or in the mornings before breakfast during the week and take the weekends off for much needed rest. awesome routine i hope you achieve your goal.

Ass to Ankles
04-09-10, 8:34 am
And one more thing...After the morning cardio session, how much time should I wait before consuming any food?

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, I have class in the morning and get up at like 630 to do fasting cardio, I eat as soon as I jump off and grab a shower. The burning of the fat tissue, for the most part, took place during the cardio session. Your body will continue to burn the fat as long as there is no other fuel to use.

A.A.
04-09-10, 9:24 am
Ass to Ankles,
thanks for the reply and the helpful message, so now I am ok,knowing its fine to eat straight after the morning cardio session. Anyhow I don't eat that much for breakfast that can make a difference...:D I eat clean, usually for breakfast some cheese, omelet, some small sausages x 3-4. and maybe a croissant if I am still not full. Well, this is how my breakfast looked today at 7:40am.

I have 2 more questions:
Ass to Ankles, you said "The burning of the fat tissue, for the most part, took place during the cardio session. Your body will continue to burn the fat as long as there is no other fuel to use". - as far as I understood, the body burns fat primary while the morning session. But what happens when you consume the food straight after that session?

and one more question:
While each lunch and dinner, I eat some kind of protein source (chicken, fish, etc) and always lots of veggies. BUT I eat a LOT of protein. Even though I eat a lot of veggies, plus that I eat a lot of protein until I get full. Does a lot of protein can stop the fat loss and actually make me gain the weight, instead of loosing it? This will give me the idea if I have to eat less protein and make a limit somewhere, because so far I understood through all my research, that if you eat for carbohydrates just veggies, it doesn't matter what you eat and how much you eat for protein, because the main fat is gained from the carbs and if it's veggies, then the fat gain is minimal. Am I correct? Help me out on this one,please.

Tron
04-09-10, 8:48 pm
and one more question:
While each lunch and dinner, I eat some kind of protein source (chicken, fish, etc) and always lots of veggies. BUT I eat a LOT of protein. Even though I eat a lot of veggies, plus that I eat a lot of protein until I get full. Does a lot of protein can stop the fat loss and actually make me gain the weight, instead of loosing it? This will give me the idea if I have to eat less protein and make a limit somewhere, because so far I understood through all my research, that if you eat for carbohydrates just veggies, it doesn't matter what you eat and how much you eat for protein, because the main fat is gained from the carbs and if it's veggies, then the fat gain is minimal. Am I correct? Help me out on this one,please.

If you're into muscle (I assume you are since you're here) then you want high protein intake. Can't build a house without materials. Protein is what is used to repair the muscles after your workouts.

Take 1.5-2 grams protein per lb bodyweight. There are many philosophies on carbs so I won't go into that. Limit fat to healthy fats. If you're eating lots of fish/chicken and veggies, you have half the battle. Just make sure the other carbs are complex.

You're getting in 6 meals but from what I see you don't eat after 7. If you wake up at 6 in the AM that means you are going 11 hours without eating. Try to eat something that is slow burning just before bed. I like to say cottage cheese. You can get this fat free and it takes awhile to digest.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Ass to Ankles
04-09-10, 10:30 pm
[QUOTE=A.A.;933361]Ass to Ankles,
thanks for the reply and the helpful message, so now I am ok,knowing its fine to eat straight after the morning cardio session. Anyhow I don't eat that much for breakfast that can make a difference...:D I eat clean, usually for breakfast some cheese, omelet, some small sausages x 3-4. and maybe a croissant if I am still not full. Well, this is how my breakfast looked today at 7:40am.

I have 2 more questions:
Ass to Ankles, you said "The burning of the fat tissue, for the most part, took place during the cardio session. Your body will continue to burn the fat as long as there is no other fuel to use". - as far as I understood, the body burns fat primary while the morning session. But what happens when you consume the food straight after that session?
QUOTE]

Once you eat, your body then begins to use the new food as fuel, during the session all your body has for fuel is the stored fat because you haven't eaten anything yet. It makes cardio with a full stomach make you feel like youre just spinning your wheels

A.A.
04-10-10, 6:00 am
Thanks Tron for the reply.
Ye, I understood that I am having a 11 hour break between eating.
Would it be ok to take a protein shake before bad?

PORTERHOUSE
04-10-10, 8:25 am
Thanks Tron for the reply.
Ye, I understood that I am having a 11 hour break between eating.
Would it be ok to take a protein shake before bad?

Before bed your going to want to use a casein shake, not whey.

Casein digests slowly and will last you much longer while you sleep, whey dissolves quickly and is best for before and after workouts.

Personally, I have both and take casein during the day if I don't have time to cook, or before bed. I take whey in my pre workout meal and after I lift.

If you don't feel like dropping the extra coin, cottage cheese and peanut butter before bed will work just as well.

If Im bulking my pre-bed meal is 2 scoops casein/1 tbs PB. If Im cutting i drop the PB.

Tron
04-10-10, 11:07 am
Before bed your going to want to use a casein shake, not whey.

Casein digests slowly and will last you much longer while you sleep, whey dissolves quickly and is best for before and after workouts.

Personally, I have both and take casein during the day if I don't have time to cook, or before bed. I take whey in my pre workout meal and after I lift.

If you don't feel like dropping the extra coin, cottage cheese and peanut butter before bed will work just as well.

If Im bulking my pre-bed meal is 2 scoops casein/1 tbs PB. If Im cutting i drop the PB.

Spot on. The only reason I didn't say casein is because I in general don't like shakes. I'd rather get my nutrients from food sources personally.