PDA

View Full Version : Attacking The School Bench Record

Pitbull60
04-13-10, 7:40 pm
I'm 18 years old, 6' and between 224-228 depending on the day. Most of my lifting background has come from football lifting (Cleans, Bench, Plyos etc). My current bench is 305 and I'm looking to get that up to 320 to break our schools record for the 200-225 weight class by our next testing day in 4-5 weeks.

I usually eat about 3,000-3,500 calories a day on average, less on non-lift days

Supplement wise I've been using Pak, Nitro G, Flex, Pump and Whey Isolate.

Our S&C coach is making out the program for getting it there, but diet wise I don't know where to start, having never followed a diet designed to anything but bulk.

I eat lunch at about 11:30, lift at 3. School runs from 8-2:50 so anything but lunch will have to be limited.

Essentially, I'm trying to maintain or lose a bit of weight while getting my bench ready for test day.
Any Advice?

norrim1
04-13-10, 9:28 pm
How much were you able to press on a testing day previous to 305? Do you guys test every 8 weeks or so?

Pitbull60
04-13-10, 9:36 pm
How much were you able to press on a testing day previous to 305? Do you guys test every 8 weeks or so?

I previously tested at 290 5 weeks before my test at 305.
Typically yes, but we had an odd cycle due to spring break and Easter, and this one needs a 4 week turnover with the last "Record Day" being in 4 weeks

norrim1
04-13-10, 9:56 pm
Sounds like you're making consistent strength gains with your current protocol. If your focus right now is to break your school's record, It might be difficult to try and lean out a little at the same time without compromising some of your power. A 15 pound increase on the bench in a matter of 4-5 weeks is remarkable. At your age, gains will come fast and I think you should capitalize on that right now and try not to limit calories. If it were me, I would increase my consumption to 4,000 per day and just cruise on through...just to be safe. If you find after a few weeks that your weight is over the limit, scale back a little. It's certainly within your reach!

BigChrisF
04-14-10, 1:35 am
I think with this amount of time, I would focus on keeping your diet the same and not gain weight. Work on technique to get the extra 15 lbs and do a simple water cut to make sure you hit 225.

Cole673a
04-15-10, 11:30 am
i tryed my best to get my schools record.... i am 18 weigh 193-198 and just a little under 6' but i maxed at 345, while our school bench record for my weight class is 365.. but i made it to the 345 quickly from 315 by doin heavy as possible 4 sets 8 on flat, and then would get someoneone to push the bar down while i was resisting with lighter weight.. but man best of luck to you, and if it were me, i dont think you could take in too many clean calories

donnanipb
04-15-10, 11:45 am
Throw in some hrt in there and some resistance bands and weighted dips and I don't see why you can't make it.

Pitbull60
04-15-10, 7:00 pm
Any specific whole foods/snacks i should eat? I've no idea where to start

College Boy
04-15-10, 7:16 pm
Natural peanut butter, tuna, good carbs (rice, potatoes, oats), plenty of protein. Just try and keep it clean, but without lowering your calories. It sounds like you could make weight by chillin' in a sauna for an hour, so don't stress. Just train hard bro!

Tron
04-15-10, 7:29 pm
i tryed my best to get my schools record.... i am 18 weigh 193-198 and just a little under 6' but i maxed at 345, while our school bench record for my weight class is 365.. but i made it to the 345 quickly from 315 by doin heavy as possible 4 sets 8 on flat, and then would get someoneone to push the bar down while i was resisting with lighter weight.. but man best of luck to you, and if it were me, i dont think you could take in too many clean calories

Sounds like an HRT style...

Cole673a
04-16-10, 12:30 am
hrt?

adidas
04-16-10, 10:05 am
hrt?

Hormone Repalcement Theropy?

GJN5002
04-16-10, 10:23 am

haha, that would def get him there.

I agree with everyone else. Just keep your diet consistent. Just make sure you are getting good protein in every 2-3 hours and some carbs and a little bit of fat. Since youre going for strength stock up on protein bars and ready to drink protein shakes. Have them between classes or just get some real gains and have that between meals with some water in a shaker. I def wouldnt try to cut any weight just maintain it.

What are you eating now on an average day?

Aggression
04-16-10, 10:24 am

Sounds like an HRT style...

hrt?

Hell Raiser Training fellas.

GJN5002
04-16-10, 10:27 am
Hell Raiser Training fellas.

isnt that more of a hypertrophy specific protocol and not so much strength oriented? I'm only vaguely familiar with it.

Aggression
04-16-10, 10:29 am
isnt that more of a hypertrophy specific protocol and not so much strength oriented? I'm only vaguely familiar with it.

We have a whole section dedicated to it:
http://forum.animalpak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130

I'm not to knowledegable on it, but I know it consists of forced negatives, which is what Cole was referring to in his post.

Tron
04-16-10, 11:06 am

Yes it is which is why I was confused by it and posted that... It will allow moderate strength gains, though...

HRT is also known as SST/FN = Split Strength Training/Forced Negative...

Pitbull60
04-16-10, 7:09 pm
haha, that would def get him there.

I agree with everyone else. Just keep your diet consistent. Just make sure you are getting good protein in every 2-3 hours and some carbs and a little bit of fat. Since youre going for strength stock up on protein bars and ready to drink protein shakes. Have them between classes or just get some real gains and have that between meals with some water in a shaker. I def wouldnt try to cut any weight just maintain it.

What are you eating now on an average day?

Here's an average day:
6:30 Wakeup/Breakfast
PB Toast
Banana
28g Whey isolate Shake
Pak

9:30
Protein Bar in class, currently a 23g EAS Myoplex

11:30
Whatever is on the menu in the cafeteria, Skim Milk

3:00-4:30 Lift
Pre-W/O Pump, PWO Nitro G

5:30
Eat with lifting buddies, typically a Chipotle Chicken Burrito or some Peking chicken on white rice from Lee-ann chin

Chicken Breast with rice
Whey Isolate shake

Also, I picked up a can of Stak and M-stak to see just how well they worked together (had great results from M-Stak in the past). Should i use them both during this cycle? Just one? neither?

GJN5002
04-17-10, 10:26 am
Here's an average day:
6:30 Wakeup/Breakfast
PB Toast
Banana
28g Whey isolate Shake
Pak

Protein Bar in class, currently a 23g EAS Myoplex

11:30
Whatever is on the menu in the cafeteria, Skim Milk

3:00-4:30 Lift
Pre-W/O Pump, PWO Nitro G

5:30
Eat with lifting buddies, typically a Chipotle Chicken Burrito or some Peking chicken on white rice from Lee-ann chin

Chicken Breast with rice
Whey Isolate shake

Also, I picked up a can of Stak and M-stak to see just how well they worked together (had great results from M-Stak in the past). Should i use them both during this cycle? Just one? neither?

Diet is decent.

Throw another scoop of protein in your breakfast shake.

I know the cafeteria is limited but make sure you get some protein in. Whatever choices you have make the best of them. Obviously take chicken or some good meat over like lasagna or whatever crap they have. Have doubles on your protein source if you can. If not double up on you milk.

Try to have another protein bar or shake and a banana about an hour before you workout.

Pitbull60
04-21-10, 6:40 pm
Thanks for the advice guys! Starting the cycle this week