PDA

View Full Version : Calves and Knees

PRM
04-14-10, 5:34 pm
Looking for opinions here. When you animals hit calves, (straight leg variations) do you lock your knees, or keep them slightly bent?

Reason I'm asking is that when I do them and lock my knees, it hits my calves well, but also hits that muscle behind the knee, which I don't want to grow because I find it's not attractive. I think it's called Plantaris? Anyway, when I do them with knees bent, I don't feel it as much there, but I also don't feel it in my Gastrocnemius as much, and more in my Soleus.

OR

Is that part getting hit, actually my calf? 'Cause I know it goes up there somewhat.

- PRM

Ass to Ankles
04-14-10, 5:39 pm
I do mine with a slight bend, I feel its really hard on my knees to keep them straight. Really focus with bent legs and try to isolate your calf as much as possible. I'm curious to see what others think as well

College Boy
04-14-10, 7:06 pm
That would depend on which portion of the calf I am targeting. When I alter my foot position to get a more specific workout, I've found that a SLIGHT bend increases the pump. But I haven't experienced the feeling behind the knee. Maybe lower the weight and focus completely on feeling it in the calf? It could be that you aren't completing isolating the movement.

PRM
04-14-10, 7:11 pm
That would depend on which portion of the calf I am targeting. When I alter my foot position to get a more specific workout, I've found that a SLIGHT bend increases the pump. But I haven't experienced the feeling behind the knee. Maybe lower the weight and focus completely on feeling it in the calf? It could be that you aren't completing isolating the movement.

Even just standing here doing a calf raise, I can feel behind my knee tense. It gets softer when I push my knees out forward past my toes, but then I feel it less in the calves all together.

zubda345
04-15-10, 1:52 am
I keep my knees straight, there's no problem I m having, my knee dosent feels anything because I put all my weight on my calves, there's a proper position to keep your feet on the place where u'll only hit ur calves. I keep my feet close not wide, I recommend that U ask ur Gym trainer at once he will guide U better, because he is close to u and can see u and we cant....

PRM
04-19-10, 7:39 pm
Bump for more opinions.