PDA

View Full Version : a question for the powerlifters

oneidjack
04-18-10, 12:27 pm
I've based my w/o around the bench, squat, and deadlift having read enough to know that these are the foundation of any good program. My end goal is to work out with a 315 bench, up from the 255 I can get to now and have respectable weight on the bar when I squat and deadlift, though I don't have a number I'm shooting for on those. My question is, should I be doing moderate weights on those three lifts or will I see bigger and faster gains by loading up the bar and cutting my reps. Right now I work down 8,6,4,2 with the reps and usually do two sets. If you think I should change it up, what should I be doing?

Thanks in advance for any advice

jack

intoodeep25
04-19-10, 11:00 am
id look into wendlers 5-3-1, i know alot of guys on here will agree, its pretty dope

C.Coronato
04-19-10, 11:07 am
I agree with intoodeep. Check out the 5-3-1 program.

You should not be 1 rep maxing out every workout session. You will not be growing from there, you need to let your body rest a bit.

ldskenpo
04-19-10, 11:42 am
i have been doing5-3-1 for about 2 months now, it IS the program i would suggest, simple, gradual increases that will make you stronger and lessen the occurrence of the inevitable injuries

Young&Hungry
04-19-10, 5:28 pm
Been doing 5/3/1 for the better part of 2 years, and so long as you have half a brain, you cannot screw this program up. There's no guessing and it's so easy to adjust. Probably the best decision I've made for my weight training ever.