PDA

View Full Version : Why Weights Win

jandirigma
04-19-10, 7:09 am
Introduction:

High-intensity resistance training is the way to go to get fit. Not only does it build muscle, it will help you burn fat, and even improve your cardiovascular health. You see people doing long low-intensity exercises, steady-state cardio, low-intensity strength training, or even high-intensity exercises for too long. High-intensity resistance training of shorter periods trumps all these fitness staples.

Intensity, Metabolism, and Recovery:

What does high-intensity resistance training offer that steady-state cardio and low intensity exercises cannot? First of all, it lets your body use its glycogen supply and later on fat reserves for energy. In steady-state cardio like long walks or low-intensity resistance training, the body never depletes its glycogen stores and does not utilize all the types of fast twitch muscles because it has no need to use them since the slow twitch muscles are not put under significant stress to recruit these other muscles. These kinds of exercises do not cause the body to adapt and develop because of a lack of intensity and force put on the body. Therefore, muscle and endurance does not improve. Since glycogen is not heavily used, fat reserves are hardly tapped for energy because the body remains full of glycogen. No wonder walkers and joggers find it hard to see results in fat loss. Ultra-endurance sports are nonetheless detrimental. They are tiring, but they also do not let the body utilize its entire glycogen stores, but almost exclusively use fat reserves because of the duration of these sports. Primarily this happens because when fat is metabolized for energy, lactic acid is not produced. Now what’s wrong with not using your glycogen stores? This can lead to reduced sensitivity to insulin which in the long run can cause cardiovascular malfunctions, the very thing that people who engage in such activities are trying to fight against. Perhaps you’re thinking, “but runners and triathletes are so fit and durable”. I’m telling you, the effects of their activities will take their toll soon enough. First of all, such intense activities when done for long durations specially after finishing let’s say a race, have been shown to give the heart difficulties pumping blood into its chambers. Not only this, repetitive movements done for extended periods of time can cause chronic injuries. An example can be, excessive running which can damage knee joints and even the feet because of constant striking of the heel on hard surfaces such as concrete. The same problems can come from over-training with weights and not just these aerobic activities mentioned.To make matters worse, these grueling activities ruin the body’s balance of activity, rest, and recovery. Muscles can take more than a week to repair unlike epidermal tissue which can heal in a matter of a week or less. With this in mind, activities must be intense, but of shorter periods of time with adequate periods of rest. Listen to your body and keep your workouts brief but intense. In fact, if you can do that, workouts can only last fifteen minutes. The reason for this is that the body is not designed to keep going and going, because this will simply ruin the balance between activity and recovery. In man’s primitive days, man was used to engage in brief fight or flight actions. These were brief but intense movements. They might have been brief, but this provided enough stimulus to the body. The same applies with brief intense workouts. When adequate stimulus is applied, there is no need to spend countless of hours more in the gym because it is not needed. As much as the body needs to stay active, it must rest. There is a thin line between too much rest and activity, keep them balanced.

Resistance Training for Endurance:

Alright, how can high-intensity resistance training improve endurance when it’s not even cardio? First of all, glycogen is stored in the liver and muscles. The muscles contain glycogen and ATP, so it is metabolized within the muscle, since it is the muscle that helps you move. The heart merely supplies your muscles with blood and oxygen. It makes sense to target the source where raw energy is stored in order to improve endurance and cardiovascular health which is the muscles. High-intensity resistance training allows you to use your glycogen adequately and then resort to your fat reserves. It’s a friggin’ good double deal that steady-state cardio and overly intensive activities do not provide, a systematic metabolism of energy. Because the body is trained to use all its energy sources, adaptations occur causing greater cardiovascular conditioning. Steady-state cardio lacks stimulus to cause any development of the muscle and cardiovascular health. On the other hand, overly intensive activities may they be too much lifting or cardio create too much stress, further causing difficulties to the cardiovascular system because of the overly intensive strain the heart has to go through to pump blood throughout the body. To increase endurance, don’t target the heart itself, the muscles must be trained because this is where your your preliminary energy reserves are stored. Another thing, these activities do not give the body enough time to rest, thus causing more immediate damage and a higher risk for chronic injuries in the future. Remember, balance of rest and recovery is the key to fitness.

Muscle Recruitment and Health Benefits:

One more good thing about resistance training is that it systematically recruits muscle fibers unlike activities that may use several types all at once such as plyometrics and cardio. For example, to initiate a jump, slow and fast twitch muscles are used all at once. The quadricep and gastrocnemius (slow twitch) as well as the gluteus maximus and hamstrings (fast twitch) are recruited immediately to trigger one swift movement. I’m not saying plyometrics are bad, but this will not give you accurate muscle targetting as compared to resistance training because you can select the weight you lift, which in turn will stimulate different muscle fibers. This happens when you select a weight you can do with higher reps, thus tiring out the slow twitch muscles. As weight increases you gradually recruit you gradually recruit type II A and type II B fibers. This progression of recruitment allows complete development of the muscles. Makes sense right? And unlike the activities mentioned, resistance training can beneficial for those with arthritis and the elderly. It helps increase bone density and joint strength and flexibility. This is due to the pressure puts on the body to cause these adaptations. Pressure may seem like a dangerous word for the elderly and those suffering from arthritis, but the pressure placed on the body by resistance training is not like a bone-against-bone kind of pressure. Practitioners may select the weight they can bear, making it safer for them. This allows them to adjust the resistance and pressure to suit their strength. The same can’t be said with cardio. You can slow down but you can’t change the density of the surface you run on, making these activities a bit harsh for people with joint pain. In fact, joints move smoothly in resistance training because this is a no impact activity, yet the stimulus provided through the weight carried is enough to cause beneficial adaptations without compromising one’s health.

How to Intensify:

High-intensity resistance training keeps things simple. If you can pump the intensity by increasing the weight, taking less rest, and even supersetting (check Men’s Health for examples), and throwing in more compound movements to target more muscle groups at once, you won’t need to spend much time in the gym. An intensity tip would be to select a weight that’s signifiantly heavier than you’d probably lift. Lift the weight slowly and go to failure.

Conclusion:

The point is, resistance training must be the basis of your training for overall physical development. It’s the safest and most reliable way to build endurance and lose fat without sacrificing strength and mass. Balance your rest and activity periods and keep workouts brief and intense. Save your muscle and save your time. High-intensity and short duration is the way to go. Ramp up the intensity so you can shock muscles, cut time spent in the gym, and get enough rest for growth. I hope these chunks of information can be of useful supplementation to your current routine.

V Man
04-19-10, 8:08 am
True.

Ive been down the distance running / triathlon route in an attempt to lower my bf levels and it just doesnt work as well as hard weight training on a slight calorie defacit. Also my left knee gives me problems due to all the years running on concrete.

Stay away from marathon cardio.

rockyIV
04-19-10, 10:51 am
True.

Ive been down the distance running / triathlon route in an attempt to lower my bf levels and it just doesnt work as well as hard weight training on a slight calorie defacit. Also my left knee gives me problems due to all the years running on concrete.

Agreed. I was training for tri's the last year and finally gave up on it due to having 3 kids to provide for and the biking in traffic scares the sh!t out of me. Swimming is still fun to keep up cardio and running is good since it's an activity me and my wife enjoy but I didn't see a significant reduction in bf level like I did when I was lifting religiously. I'm back in the squat rack now so watch the f*ck out.

jandirigma
04-19-10, 12:20 pm
True.

My knee felt pretty awful pretty quickly even just after my first 5k. Instead of feeling invigorated, I felt pretty weak for a few days. Yup, marathon cardio sucks...unless you really do it for the sake of enjoyment, haha!

NickSP
04-19-10, 2:14 pm
Solid article overall, but I have a couple quirks about it. First, is the first sections about it. A lot of what they said has gone completely against everything I learned in some of my courses. The body does not go through your energy stores sequentially...you do not have to burn through your entire glycogen stores before using fat. It's not like the body sits there using all glycogen and then once it burns out, moves on to fat. Whatever you're doing, all the different energy pathways are active, just to different degrees. Carbs are used more during high-intensity activities because burning fat is a much slower process and can't quite fulfill the energy requirements. Low intensity activity mostly uses fat (although carbs are still being used of course) because there's not a strong need to rely on carbs, fat burning can keep up with the energy needs.

Also, I suppose they're right in that LI cardio isn't going to give your muscles a stimulus or whatever they were saying, but I'm not sure who does cardio specifically to build muscles. I also don't get why they said it won't build endurance, they themselves mentioned fiber types. Type I fibers are BUILT for slower, lower resistance activities (endurance). They don't produce much force but they can last (fatigue-resistant) which is exactly what low intensity cardio gives. With training, these fibers will have a greater oxidative capacity, enzyme activity in the fat burning process, etc. Also, how does cardio not improve cardiovascular health, even if it is low intensity? If your muscles are working and the heart rate increases, I'd say it's improving your cardio health. I walk for my cardio, and just in the last several weeks of starting my cut, the same exact workouts I used in the beginning don't get my HR nearly as high as it did before. I'd say that means my cardio health is improving.

One last thing, the size principle says that essentially fiber types are recruited in the same way every time. Smaller fibers (well, the motor neurons) are always recruited first, and if more force is needed, it will fire at a faster rate until it hits it's maximal firing rate. If yet more force is needed, the next unit will start firing, and so on. Units are recruited by increasing size. So I'm not sure whey they say that only lifting in a certain way will recruit fibers systematically.

jandirigma
04-19-10, 10:31 pm
Solid article overall, but I have a couple quirks about it. First, is the first sections about it. A lot of what they said has gone completely against everything I learned in some of my courses. The body does not go through your energy stores sequentially...you do not have to burn through your entire glycogen stores before using fat. It's not like the body sits there using all glycogen and then once it burns out, moves on to fat. Whatever you're doing, all the different energy pathways are active, just to different degrees. Carbs are used more during high-intensity activities because burning fat is a much slower process and can't quite fulfill the energy requirements. Low intensity activity mostly uses fat (although carbs are still being used of course) because there's not a strong need to rely on carbs, fat burning can keep up with the energy needs.

Also, I suppose they're right in that LI cardio isn't going to give your muscles a stimulus or whatever they were saying, but I'm not sure who does cardio specifically to build muscles. I also don't get why they said it won't build endurance, they themselves mentioned fiber types. Type I fibers are BUILT for slower, lower resistance activities (endurance). They don't produce much force but they can last (fatigue-resistant) which is exactly what low intensity cardio gives. With training, these fibers will have a greater oxidative capacity, enzyme activity in the fat burning process, etc. Also, how does cardio not improve cardiovascular health, even if it is low intensity? If your muscles are working and the heart rate increases, I'd say it's improving your cardio health. I walk for my cardio, and just in the last several weeks of starting my cut, the same exact workouts I used in the beginning don't get my HR nearly as high as it did before. I'd say that means my cardio health is improving.

One last thing, the size principle says that essentially fiber types are recruited in the same way every time. Smaller fibers (well, the motor neurons) are always recruited first, and if more force is needed, it will fire at a faster rate until it hits it's maximal firing rate. If yet more force is needed, the next unit will start firing, and so on. Units are recruited by increasing size. So I'm not sure whey they say that only lifting in a certain way will recruit fibers systematically.
Hmmm...I'll look into that. That's some info I've gotta cross-check again. I guess what I meant to say that cardio is not as efficient as weights in building endurance plus strength, but anyway, good spot.