PDA

View Full Version : Steve Reeves weight chart for naturals

V Man
04-19-10, 7:51 am
Hello

I came across this chart whilst trying to get an idea of what is a realistic lean weight for a natural bodybuilder depending on height. Ive tried to find this using the search facility without success but sorry if there is already a post on this already. Here it is:

5'5" 160lbs

5'6" 165lbs

5'7" 170lbs

5'8" 175lbs

5'9" 180lbs

5'10" 185lbs

5'11" 190lbs

6'0" 200lbs

6'1" 210lbs

6'2" 220lbs

6'3" 230lbs

6'4" 240lbs

6'5" 250lbs

This sounds about right to me. What does everyone think about these weights? Are there any natural 5'9" guys on here walking around at a lean 220lbs?

C.Coronato
04-19-10, 11:34 am
Right now, im a competitive natural bodybuilder. I am dieting now, and i would say im very lean. Im 5'6" and 195.

I dont think you can really go by charts like that. Everyones body comp is different, and there genetic capabilities are different.

JUGGERNAUT
04-19-10, 11:39 am
Agreed TTL, I'm 5'6" and about 1700 lbs at 2%

Juggs hates charts

dannynb
04-19-10, 11:49 am
Agreed TTL, I'm 5'6" and about 1700 lbs at 2%

Juggs hates charts

He really is....is odd though being bigger horizontally than you are vertically.

rev8ball
04-19-10, 12:26 pm
I'm 5'6" and about 1700 lbs at 2%

Beware of Greeks wearing lifts....

But the 1700 lbs at 2% is about right.

G Diesel
04-19-10, 12:57 pm
I like Steve Reeves and many of his theories and methods a whole lot. The guy was a pioneer and had an amazing physique. That said, I wouldn't pay too much attention to preconceived limits imposed by a chart, no matter who the author. I'm 5'11" and 250 or so and though certainly not Steve Reeves lean, I would be way heavier than 190 if dieted down and have been 220 to 230+ in good shape in the past.

Get as big and strong as you can by training hard and heavy and eating the right bodybuilding foods to keep you growing without getting fat. Do this for years to build a sizable base and then diet down. I'd bet you'll end up much larger than that chart would allow.

Peace, G

Birdman
04-19-10, 1:02 pm
I agree with G, nobody is the same, especially in the world of bodybuilding. A chart has limitations whereas, the body does not. Steve Reeves is one of the greats of the past though and has much respect in my book.

dannynb
04-19-10, 1:02 pm
I like Steve Reeves and many of his theories and methods a whole lot. The guy was a pioneer and had an amazing physique. That said, I wouldn't pay too much attention to preconceived limits imposed by a chart, no matter who the author. I'm 5'11" and 250 or so and though certainly not Steve Reeves lean, I would be way heavier than 190 if dieted down and have been 220 to 230+ in good shape in the past.

Get as big and strong as you can by training hard and heavy and eating the right bodybuilding foods to keep you growing without getting fat. Do this for years to build a sizable base and then diet down. I'd bet you'll end up much larger than that chart would allow.

Peace, G

Yep, Hell I'm 6'2" and 251 right now at a very low bf already. Never set limits on yourself, just keep pushing forward. You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish.

Maccabee
04-19-10, 1:03 pm
I wouldnt follow the chart. If I use myself as an example.

I am 23 years old. I am 5"11 at 220 offseason mode.

By the time I am 30-35 years old there is no way in hell I am going to weigh 220. I am hoping to hover at 250+.

So the chart doesnt really matter. Just see how you look and where your health is. I think that is most important.

shizz702
04-19-10, 1:17 pm
I agree with the consensus that this chart, nor any chart should be viewed as a limit. But I do think this chart serves as a good reference for what one can achieve naturally.

One thing to keep in mind there is a big difference in weighing in at those numbers -10% bf compared to 20%+, and Arnold for example was 235 at contest weight, at a height of 6'2".

Beowulf
04-19-10, 1:30 pm
In your mind's eye, how do you envision your physique ideally? Do you like Reeves? Do you prefer Mentzer or Zane? Ronnie or Dorian?

Ultimately, you have this idea of what you want to look like in a perfect world. For some, it's to be as big as you possibly can be. For others, they want more shape and symmetry. Decide for yourself, and take the necessary steps to achieve it.

If you like Reeves, then the above chart might be useful for providing a basic guide. IMHO, bodybuilding is not about getting as big as you possibly can get. It's about balancing things like strength, shape, symmetry, size, etc.

fenix237
04-19-10, 1:42 pm
there was a thread i read awhile back that had a formula where you took some measurements, like wrist, neck and some others and it showed your gentetc potential. there were several examples of poular BB'ers given touting the accuracy of that formula and it was amazing close

does anybody know where that thread is? i looked in training and livin' and could not find it. can anyone point me in the right direction? that would seem like a lot better chart if you're trying to find what your size potential is. thnx all! - MM

V Man
04-19-10, 1:45 pm
Right now, im a competitive natural bodybuilder. I am dieting now, and i would say im very lean. Im 5'6" and 195.

I dont think you can really go by charts like that. Everyones body comp is different, and there genetic capabilities are different.

^ thats huge for someone of your height.

thats for the responses everyone

V Man
04-19-10, 1:47 pm
there was a thread i read awhile back that had a formula where you took some measurements, like wrist, neck and some others and it showed your gentetc potential. there were several examples of poular BB'ers given touting the accuracy of that formula and it was amazing close

does anybody know where that thread is? i looked in training and livin' and could not find it. can anyone point me in the right direction? that would seem like a lot better chart if you're trying to find what your size potential is. thnx all! - MM

yeah, Id be interested in that chart too MM

prowrestler
04-19-10, 2:23 pm
Fuck - Charts

fenix237
04-19-10, 2:29 pm
Fuck - Charts

i agree with you 100% pro- if i thought charts meant something, i would've been in serious shit my whole life lol! these thing are more a novelty for me than anything i would ever base my training/diet/life around

that said, the formula that i read somewhere looked to be very accuarate and could give someone an idea of what they could grow to potentially if they are interested

blueboy22
04-19-10, 2:37 pm
Great read fellas.

G hit it on the head. Eat big. Lift hard. Sleep long.

V Man
04-19-10, 3:42 pm
Fuck - Charts

lol

Goliathus
04-19-10, 4:43 pm
Ive only been seriously training for a year, and I've passed that up.
5 7, averaging 180, ive hit 190 once

Muscleguy93
04-19-10, 5:23 pm
Fuck - Charts

ya this chart is crap.

Legacy
04-19-10, 7:24 pm
What this chart was used for was back in the older days when people wanted the ideal ancient greek aesthetic look, it was a way for people to determine proper proportions in order to create what at the time was a well balanced physique. In the 19th century, the greek statues showed similar physical characteristics such as a small, muscular waist, wide shoulders and detailed, but NOT overwhelmingly huge, muscles. Along with the chart he posted at the beginning of this thread, these are the other measurements that go along with the height and weights.

Arm size = 252% of Wrist size
Calf size = 192% of Ankle size
Neck Size = 79% of Head size
Chest Size = 148% of Pelvis size
Waist size = 86% of Pelvis size
Thigh size = 175% of Knee size

G Diesel
04-20-10, 10:51 am
What this chart was used for was back in the older days when people wanted the ideal ancient greek aesthetic look, it was a way for people to determine proper proportions in order to create what at the time was a well balanced physique. In the 19th century, the greek statues showed similar physical characteristics such as a small, muscular waist, wide shoulders and detailed, but NOT overwhelmingly huge, muscles. Along with the chart he posted at the beginning of this thread, these are the other measurements that go along with the height and weights.

Arm size = 252% of Wrist size
Calf size = 192% of Ankle size
Neck Size = 79% of Head size
Chest Size = 148% of Pelvis size
Waist size = 86% of Pelvis size
Thigh size = 175% of Knee size

No doubt I follow you and I get the aesthetic presented... At the same time, I can't imagine living my life and pursuing physique goals handcuffed to arbitrary figures based on a certain ideal.

Peace, G

Legacy
04-20-10, 2:50 pm
No doubt I follow you and I get the aesthetic presented... At the same time, I can't imagine living my life and pursuing physique goals handcuffed to arbitrary figures based on a certain ideal.

Peace, G

Yeah I hear ya G, I'm the same way, build your body the way you want it. I just feel like the person who posted the height and weight thing forgot the other half of his argument.