PDA

View Full Version : Lifting with a fractured finger

braves561
04-19-10, 4:10 pm
I fractured my right ring finger a week or so ago, not exactly sure how it even happened. Well the doctor recommends that I dont do any lifting for a week or so.

Well besides cardio, what type of exercise can I do for this week? I was thinking maybe some machine work..

C.Coronato
04-19-10, 4:17 pm
I would listen to the doctor my man. Take the time off, rest a week, and come back full force.

Toro
04-19-10, 4:22 pm
If ur not to desperate to lift, maybe you could take a week off and let that finger heal properly. Chances are you will be back stronger after a well diserved rest and without the risk of a more serious injury.

Cstlfx
04-19-10, 5:17 pm
Legs, such as curls, extensions, presses, hack squats, etc, lifting the plates with your good hand. Dont use the hand when doing everything.

That is, if you only have a slight fracture, like if the doctor puts a splint on it and tells you to take some ibuprofen, sending you off. If your finger is broken, I'd let it heal up first.

theharjmann
04-20-10, 4:05 am
I fractured my right ring finger a week or so ago, not exactly sure how it even happened. Well the doctor recommends that I dont do any lifting for a week or so.

Well besides cardio, what type of exercise can I do for this week? I was thinking maybe some machine work..

i fractured my left ringer a year ago....it didnt hinder me at all....in fact it worked for the best. let me explain:

well to begin with the only disadvantage was that i had to ditch using dumbells and barbells for a few weeks, but this isnt necessarily a bad thing to do every so often. i only used the smith machine and hammer strength equipment.

I used a thumbless grip on all exercises, and because i was cautious about not hurting my finger, my reps were much slower and more controlled which meant i was able to hit the target muscles MUCH more effficiently...i was very sore the day after workouts!

for biceps i used a preacher machine bench with a hands open grip and for triceps i mainly focussed on dips.

for chest i stuck to pressing movements on the hammer strength equipment and the smith machine and flye movements on machines also

for back i had to use straps for almost every movement, but was still able to have some good workouts

for shoulders i stuck to hammer strength equipment and the smith machine...heavy behind the neck presses Kevin Levrone style all the way baby!

for legs i could to every exercise apart from squats.

so when you look at it it isnt actually that bad

IN THIS INSTANCE ONLY i would say fuck what the doctor says since he/she is not a bodybuilder and keep lifting

just remember to be careful in the gym not to get your fingers trapped!

good luck with the recovery

peace

MojoMike36
04-21-10, 10:28 pm
If it wasn't really a gnarly fracture I would just buddy tape that shit and get right back in the gym.

I play rugby. If I stayed out of the gym when I had serious injuries I would be frail. If I confessed to the injuries that I've lifted through I would sound like a bragadouche.

theharjmann
04-22-10, 4:16 am
If it wasn't really a gnarly fracture I would just buddy tape that shit and get right back in the gym.

I play rugby. If I stayed out of the gym when I had serious injuries I would be frail. If I confessed to the injuries that I've lifted through I would sound like a bragadouche.

agreed. i play rugby also. the only broken bone that has kept me off the pitch/out of the gym was my leg.

ive played and trained through broken fingers, toes, ribs, cheeks, nose.

Stupid i know.

But its what we fuckin live for!