PDA

View Full Version : I dont understand

Machine
04-21-10, 8:44 pm
I am sitting here watching the stupid idiot box...shame on me...but I do use the information for articles and my book. So American Idol is showing me guilt pictures of a Ugandan 10 year old girl dying from malaria. I feel that it is totally unacceptable for a child to die because of a $10 mosquito net...but then these asshole Black Eyed Pea morons get on T.V. and ask me for money. That is where my train goes right off the tracks...I mean...your the assholes who have the 100 million dollar net worth...you and your Friday night dinner party could pay to wipe Malaria off the face of the earth forever...and yet you have the affrontary to ask for money from lower and lower middle class people? In essence...poor people. Someone explain this shit to me...as a man who served this nation's Armed Forces...and who has been on many humanitarian missions overseas. I just dont understand this phenomenon. Maybe one of you can straighten me out. I must warn you though...I sleep next to Chairman Mao's Little Red Book...just so you know what your getting into.

Any and all comers welcome...

MACHINE

And dont shut me down about politics...everything is political so shitcan that cop out crap.

mritter3
04-21-10, 8:53 pm
Very well said machine, the wealthy want everyone to donate and help when they do nothing...this is what's wrong with our country

logos712
04-21-10, 11:40 pm
I like the politician who's a 'friend of the workin' man', while he lives on one of his several estates with the private golf course John & Jane Q. Public just paid for. I know The Little Red Book of Chairman Mao myself. Along with The Prince, Art of War, Book of 5 Rings, to name a few. That's why I like the iron. It doesn't lie, cheat, or steal from you.

Muscleguy93
04-23-10, 4:04 pm
I agree, rich people asking poor people for money? Is fuckin dumb and I don't understand it either.

G Diesel
04-23-10, 4:32 pm
I'm feeling you Machine as all I ever see is hypocrisy from those in power and those of celebrity that we put on a pedestal, star fuckers that we are as a nation.

That said, I can only imagine being so blessed as to have a big enough platform with which to touch many lives and bring about change. Bubble gum pop stars or politicians or whatever, I can't knock anybody for standing up for or drawing attention to a worthy cause assuming they are putting their money (or time) where their mouth is.

Going on American Idol to do it is another story (that shit is still on TV?).

Peace, G

Pandora
04-23-10, 4:33 pm
Yes I agree that what they make in 5 minutes could wipe out Malaria and other causes instantly however, in a country where celebrity worship is out of control, it is them who motivate people to take action due to their status. Right or wrong, America's cult of celebrity is what it is. Celebrities using their fame to promote a viable cause isnt completely shameful. Them giving a voice to a cause is something that has been done since the days of telethons and Jerry Lewis.

At least they showed footage of some of them over in those countries getting their hands dirty and taking part, instead of just singing on stage flashing numbers to call at the bottom.

U Mad Brah?
04-23-10, 4:35 pm
we are free to choose to do what we like with our money brahs, no matter what a celebrity tells us brahs... they can tell us anything they want, we have free choice to not listen brahs

Legacy
04-23-10, 4:53 pm
If any money is going to be given from an american, it should be given to help the people in our nation first. Call me selfish, but I believe in looking after our fellow americans who are sick and poor and of course the veterans who need our assistance first.

G Diesel
04-23-10, 4:54 pm
If any money is going to be given from an american, it should be given to help the people in our nation first. Call me selfish, but I believe in looking after our fellow americans who are sick and poor and of course the veterans who need our assistance first.

Is one human life more valuable than another?

Peace, G

Beowulf
04-23-10, 4:58 pm

I don't disagree with you Legacy. However, what many people fail to realize I think is that there's a kind of sacred interconnectedness that ties us all together. Humanity, generosity and greatness of spirit knows no arbitrary bounds, such as those which define (and confine) countries. Human suffering is human suffering, regardless of longitude and latitude. More to the point, what happens to people outside this great nation of ours, has and will always have a profound impact on us--whether we like to believe it or not.

Legacy
04-23-10, 5:10 pm

Peace, G

I see what your saying G. No one human life isn't more valuable than the other, however I am a big believer that we need to help our country and the people we share neighborhoods with.

Legacy
04-23-10, 5:19 pm

Peace, G

I see what your saying G. I don't believe one human life is more valuable than the other, however I am a big believer that we need to help our country and the people we share neighborhoods with. There are a lot of problems that are often overlooked because of issues elsewhere. Just my thoughts bro.

Kain81
04-23-10, 6:27 pm
Agreed. but they are only puppets, they got paid mad cash to that infomercial for malaria that could have just as well been for diet coke. they DO NOT CARE...

But lets not let our loathing of hypocrisy take away from our ability to be charitable....

I'm getting by on what i can, but still managed to give a pretty good size chunk to both the Clinton/Bush Haiti Relief fund as well as our local battered Womans shelter...

G Diesel
04-23-10, 6:53 pm
I see what your saying G. I don't believe one human life is more valuable than the other, however I am a big believer that we need to help our country and the people we share neighborhoods with. There are a lot of problems that are often overlooked because of issues elsewhere. Just my thoughts bro.

I don't disagree bro and taking care of our own is something very important to me as well.

But lets not let our loathing of hypocrisy take away from our ability to be charitable....

I'm getting by on what i can, but still managed to give a pretty good size chunk to both the Clinton/Bush Haiti Relief fund as well as our local battered Womans shelter...

Awesome.

Peace, G

NJC_Manhattan
04-23-10, 7:18 pm
" Giving Money to Charity
Have you ever had this happen to you? You're doing laundry, and you pull a pair of pants out and check the pockets and find a $20 dollar bill. If you're anything like me, youll take that twenty and carelessly spend it on something (for me it would probably be a dvd). Yet, that $20 dollars could feed a small town for a day, or prevent a child from going blind. So why don't I donate that money?

I can't use the argument, oh they are so far away. Why? If I saw a baby lying face down choking, but I was 10 feet away as opposed to another person 5 feet away, does that mean I am not responsible, but the other person is because he/she is closer? Absolutely not.

But still, why don't I give the money away?"

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=24720

And G, the value of human life is talked about in the previous post in the thread. Maybe it could shed some light on the situation.

Machine
04-24-10, 7:44 pm
I love the ideas being exchanged here...this is great feedback. I think I was trying to say that the structure is so fucked up that if we were really about the business of humanity...there would be far less human suffering in the world. I know I shouldnt hate on the celebrities...I just can't help wanting to bathe in their blood sometimes.

I will always be waiting for the day when the last shall be first...and the first shall be last. I just want to be there when the sheep of the world are lions for a moment...I believe that would be something to see. Thanks for the open commentary.

MACHINE

Maccabee
04-25-10, 12:42 pm
I hate television with a passion. I just dont like watching all the bullshit. I know others feel differently about it. That is ok because we dont have to agree on everything.

One thing that always bothered my soul most is when I see what Machine posted about. I have nothing against rich people, however I hate seeing their fuckin faces on t.v. asking america to help some one.

I just cant understand why people and organizations need famous people to tell other people what to do. I know why they do it, but it pisses me off.

People should learn to make their own damn choices.

I know for a fact that if all the rich people of the world wanted to they can probably go into Africa and save every starving child and put them through fricken college.

It sounds like a dream. When will people take their heads out of their ass and work together as a team.

You know their is NO such thing as jewish problems, black problems, greek problems, asian problems, christian problems, or islamic problems. Their is just FUCKIN PEOPLE PROBLEMS.

These topics boil my blood. I just want to end my post by saying NEVER STOP HELPING BROTHERS! Help every one. Put the differences aside. Religion, Skin color, and loving your country. We are all one. We are global citizens, not american citizens. I think I went off topic and I apologize for that. PEACE.

MELTDOWN
04-25-10, 11:21 pm
Actors, pro athletes, local big business peoples and the like really twist me up with their commercials and such begging us to "give and make a difference". As Poko just posted, they had tons of cash to spend versus the "working Joe" that still wonders if we have a job next week.
Wife Inc can't stand it when I stir things up when our church (and other churches) and local organizations want donations for 'foreign aid'. I always ask why we can't take that money down and help the homeless folks on the corner downtown, or stock the local food pantry, or cash some in at the local teen pregnancy center. Tons of good to be done in the back yard first before I even think of throwing my debit card at some 800 number.

NJC_Manhattan
04-26-10, 10:42 am
Charity is one of those things that can be a positive inflow of aid or abused and exploited very easily.

I have seen about a dozen kids so far this spring selling candy bars so their team can get 'new gear'. This is about 9 times out of 10 bogus. The kid is just trying to make some money. Though I don't fault the person for trying to get extra cash, what he or she is doing is undermining charity. Before I say this I know it is controversial, same thing with some, not all, homeless people asking for money for food. NYC has some of the most proactive soup kitchens and food shelters in the USA. Thus, its hard for me to believe that they really couldn't find food. There was a time where if someone asked me for money for food, I would walk them into the nearest pizza shop and buy them a couple of slices. So I could see the result. Which brings us to our next point.

A lot of people have trouble blindly giving away money to a charity when they can't benchmark, or even see, the results from their donation. There are also so many charities, that which one is actually legitimate?

List of 200 largest charities (though from 2005, still pretty much the same today):
http://www.forbes.com/2005/11/18/largest-charities-ratings_05charities_land.html

This is important because some charities do not need to give all the money they receive to charity. Thus, why give $100 when only $80 will see the cause? Wouldn't it be better to donate directly, than to go through this 'broker' type entity?

With regards to spokespeople for charity, every group needs a leader, every consensus a voice, every person a face. Without some form of marketing or news, would you even know what the issues were? Though we hate to admit it, celebrities have instant social standing. The main reason why is because they are recognizable and people are more susceptible to listening to them because of their social standing. Example; who would you listen to more regarding nutrition, me or Ox? That answer should be easy.

Though I agree that their message it is hard to swallow, I also commend them getting out the issue. Whether they are forced to or not, the means still have the same positive end.

Just my two cents.

Razor
04-26-10, 1:11 pm
I will always be waiting for the day when the last shall be first...and the first shall be last. I just want to be there when the sheep of the world are lions for a moment...I believe that would be something to see. Thanks for the open commentary.

MACHINE

Amen to that. Over the past few years i've increasingly become frustrated with tv. As soon as the reality tv boom hit everything just seemed to go to shit. Then the "star search" redux boom hit. As more and more shit appeared on the box i watched less and less. Especially when celebrities start asking for donations....jesus christ. Now i turn on the box for movies and gaming. Everything else just tears layers off my sanity.

Machine
04-26-10, 7:28 pm
NJC

My brother...you are missing the point entirely. I say that with respect; and I also say that we shouldn't need charity in the modern world where trillions are churned out per month. We should have societal programming that actually cares about engineering hunger, ignorance, homelessness, and want in all of its ugly forms, out of existence. Like the man said, "Fuck a G-ride...I want the machines that are makin em." If I had my druthers the only homeless people would be politicians and captain's of industry...these people are the enemy of humanity, the liars in written device, the defilers of human prosperity, and the leeches that bleed the body politic to death. They must cease to exist...on all realms...we must put it right.

MACHINE

willah
04-26-10, 11:13 pm
In regards to Machines post above, this is a topic that makes me feel deeply cynical - I wonder what happened to just being a good person. Is altruism really dead?

The below quote ties in rather well to what was said above I think. If we don't figure out a way to reprogram ourselves, to put others, the less fortunate on the same plane as ourselves, create equality on all levels, I fear the worst for us.

The spacecraft was a long way from home.

I thought it would be a good idea, just after Saturn, to have them take one last glance homeward. From Saturn, the Earth would appear too small for Voyager to make out any detail. Our planet would be just a point of light, a lonely pixel hardly distinguishable from the other points of light Voyager would see: nearby planets, far off suns. But precisely because of the obscurity of our world thus revealed, such a picture might be worth having.

It had been well understood by the scientists and philosophers of classical antiquity that the Earth was a mere point in a vast, encompassing cosmos—but no one had ever seen it as such. Here was our first chance, and perhaps also our last for decades to come.

So, here they are: a mosaic of squares laid down on top of the planets in a background smattering of more distant stars. Because of the reflection of sunlight off the spacecraft, the Earth seems to be sitting in a beam of light, as if there were some special significance to this small world; but it's just an accident of geometry and optics. There is no sign of humans in this picture: not our reworking of the Earth's surface; not our machines; not ourselves. From this vantage point, our obsession with nationalisms is nowhere in evidence. We are too small. On the scale of worlds, humans are inconsequential: a thin film of life on an obscure and solitary lump of rock and metal.

Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you've ever heard of, every human being who ever was lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings; thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines; every hunter and forager; every hero and coward; every creator and destroyer of civilizations; every king and peasant, every young couple in love; every mother and father; hopeful child; inventor and explorer; every teacher of morals; every corrupt politician; every supreme leader; every superstar; every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there—on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena.

Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings; how eager they are to kill one another; how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity—in all this vastness—there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. It underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the only home we've ever known.

The pale blue dot.

eric downey
04-26-10, 11:51 pm
I am sitting here watching the stupid idiot box...shame on me...but I do use the information for articles and my book. So American Idol is showing me guilt pictures of a Ugandan 10 year old girl dying from malaria. I feel that it is totally unacceptable for a child to die because of a $10 mosquito net...but then these asshole Black Eyed Pea morons get on T.V. and ask me for money. That is where my train goes right off the tracks...I mean...your the assholes who have the 100 million dollar net worth...you and your Friday night dinner party could pay to wipe Malaria off the face of the earth forever...and yet you have the affrontary to ask for money from lower and lower middle class people? In essence...poor people. Someone explain this shit to me...as a man who served this nation's Armed Forces...and who has been on many humanitarian missions overseas. I just dont understand this phenomenon. Maybe one of you can straighten me out. I must warn you though...I sleep next to Chairman Mao's Little Red Book...just so you know what your getting into.

Any and all comers welcome...

MACHINE

And dont shut me down about politics...everything is political so shitcan that cop out crap.

truth spoken

prowrestler
04-27-10, 12:51 am

Peace, G

im reminded of the quote

''all animals are equal, but some are more equal then others"

on a whole, yes are lives are equal. to an idividual? hell no. my sisters life, my moms,dads, girlfriends, all my friends...all their lives mean a HELL of alot more to me then people in third world countries. if thats selfish i do not care. they are the ones i love and id bust ass for them.

Dingo
04-27-10, 2:05 am
I feel when celebs try to draw attention to some sort of charity, it is also a away for them to increase their income. Most of the sheep of the planet will jump on the band wagon of whoever shows they "give a shit". In essence these celebrities (some not all) use charity as a marketing machine. I shouldn't have to buy a cd for celeb x to donate x% of the proceeds to charity. If they were truly charitable, we would never hear about it. It's not just the celebrities in this world either, its the major retailers too. Companies dump millions into ad campaigns claiming that for every product sold they will donate some percentage to charity. In reality it is all in the name of profit. Appear charitable, appeal to more customers, profits increase, make a donation to counter taxes.
This is something I am currently trying to get the youth in my church to understand, true charity is given freely, with no thought to reward.

U Mad Brah?
04-28-10, 5:12 pm
if we truly cared brahs, we'd be doing more than talking about it on the internets brahs... we'd be out in the world making a real difference my brahonies

G Diesel
04-28-10, 5:16 pm
im reminded of the quote

''all animals are equal, but some are more equal then others"

on a whole, yes are lives are equal. to an idividual? hell no. my sisters life, my moms,dads, girlfriends, all my friends...all their lives mean a HELL of alot more to me then people in third world countries. if thats selfish i do not care. they are the ones i love and id bust ass for them.

Right, that is kind of obvious. There'd be something wrong with you if the lives of your loved ones weren't the most important to you personally.

I more meant is a stranger in America's life more valuable than that of somebody in Honduras or Uganda, all things being equal?

Peace, G

U Mad Brah?
04-28-10, 5:23 pm
Right, that is kind of obvious. There'd be something wrong with you if the lives of your loved ones weren't the most important to you personally.

I more meant is a stranger in America's life more valuable than that of somebody in Honduras or Uganda, all things being equal?

Peace, G

well said G brah, just take care of others brahs... make a difference in others lives brahs

Brick By Brick
04-28-10, 6:41 pm
All lives are equally valuable. God Bless Everyone, No Exceptions.

eric downey
04-28-10, 6:43 pm
if we truly cared brahs, we'd be doing more than talking about it on the internets brahs... we'd be out in the world making a real difference my brahonies

sure when im not work 50+ hours a week, married and have a kids that requires the rest of my attention ill get right on it.

Machine
04-28-10, 7:59 pm
I am trying my absolute best not to say something insensitive with this brah shit. You certainly dont need me to tell you that you have the right to your own expressions, verbage, and turn of phrase...I am dammed if I can find any value in your sophomoric attempt at minimization through pre-pubescant sarcasm. You know what I mean brah?

MACHINE

Dingo
04-29-10, 12:37 am
sure when im not work 50+ hours a week, married and have a kids that requires the rest of my attention ill get right on it.

but it doesn't take much to make a difference. Giving a kid the time of day, especially from someone like you, could make all the difference in the world. We as individuals do not have to go far out of our way to help someone out. I know Machine was talking in the ways of celebs signing on with charities to get more money on a grand scale, but on a personal scale, we can all do something even if all we have is 5 minutes of free time.

G Diesel
04-29-10, 9:25 am

In my opinion, that is a contribution to making the world a better place... You are doing your part.

Peace, G

U Mad Brah?
04-29-10, 9:29 am
this is a good discussion brahs, but we must not look past our own hypocrisies brahs if you know what i mean brahs

Phil800101
04-29-10, 11:33 am
NJC

My brother...you are missing the point entirely. I say that with respect; and I also say that we shouldn't need charity in the modern world where trillions are churned out per month. We should have societal programming that actually cares about engineering hunger, ignorance, homelessness, and want in all of its ugly forms, out of existence. Like the man said, "Fuck a G-ride...I want the machines that are makin em." If I had my druthers the only homeless people would be politicians and captain's of industry...these people are the enemy of humanity, the liars in written device, the defilers of human prosperity, and the leeches that bleed the body politic to death. They must cease to exist...on all realms...we must put it right.

MACHINE

Right on. It could be done. It wouldn't be easy, not by a long shot, but it is definitely doable...in theory.

In terms of raw means (food, necessary material goods, medicines, tools, energy, etc), the resources are here in our world right now, but the distribution is completely and utterly fucked. And this is done purposefully.

Why is this so? It's the profit motive, plain and simple. Controlled supply and forced demand. Greed. Gluttony. Power.

G Diesel
04-29-10, 11:35 am
Right on. It could be done. It wouldn't be easy, not by a long shot, but it is definitely doable...in theory.

In terms of raw means (food, necessary material goods, medicines, tools, energy, etc), the resources are here in our world right now, but the distribution is completely and utterly fucked. And this is done purposefully.

Why is this so? It's the profit motive, plain and simple. Controlled supply and forced demand. Greed. Gluttony. Power.

Or maybe the fact of the matter is that all human life is not valued equally and that the poor and hungry are considered a "drag" on the rest of humanity. Better they starve and are weak and sick. Better that their lifespans are shorter. Better they lack the strength for revolution.

Peace, G

Phil800101
04-29-10, 11:40 am
Or maybe the fact of the matter is that all human life is not valued equally and that the poor and hungry are considered a "drag" on the rest of humanity. Better they starve and are weak and sick. Better that their lifespans are shorter. Better they lack the strength for revolution.

Peace, G

That is true as well. Keep them weak, misinformed, and distracted.

Kain81
04-29-10, 12:31 pm
Again, i like this discussion. minus some of the good ol' BS some people feel the need to pollute the forum with. but that said.

there are ways to help that take little to no time at all and can be done from right here on your computer. No ones saying we need to go vegan and join the peace corp. I'm a middle class kinda guy. i make under 50k a year. i support. i get by. but for under 100 dollars i've given to my local battered womans shelter. given $30 to the atrocity that is currently happening still in Haiti. And the rest went to a great site called Kiva (well i don't think it's forum friendly to list websites. so PM me, or just look up Kiva.) This organization lets you pick from thousands of entrepreneurs world wide who need financial backing. and i'm not talking 1.5 mill for a company gold plated toilet. It's more like some guy in S.E. Africa that is trying to maintain a butchers shop but can't afford a meat freezer. You donate $15.00 towards bob the butchers meat freezer and he pays it back as his profits increase. when he does. you take that same 15 bones and help out sarah who wants a soda fountain in her soda shop so the drinks can be cold. it's a big circle. and is a great feeling when it comes back around and you see pics of what you and others came together to help build.

k. i'm done. you get the point. $10 is the world to some and a protein bar to some of us.

Kain81
04-29-10, 12:36 pm

Peace, G

and G. i wouldn't toss the Poor and Hungry in there. I know a lot of amazing people who have hit a low point in life and been poor and hungry and are stronger than most others because of it. but i'd toss the people who have given up on life in there , the drug addicts, the alcoholics, the thieves and the people who just have absolutely no regard for the life they were given. Everyone falls on hard times and sometimes end up poor and hungry, but not everyone is content on staying there and making their life worth even less by polluting it with a white rock or a heated spoon....

eric downey
04-29-10, 12:39 pm
but it doesn't take much to make a difference. Giving a kid the time of day, especially from someone like you, could make all the difference in the world. We as individuals do not have to go far out of our way to help someone out. I know Machine was talking in the ways of celebs signing on with charities to get more money on a grand scale, but on a personal scale, we can all do something even if all we have is 5 minutes of free time.

u wanna donate money fine. but donate to something your passionate about. for me give to st jude research hospital. ive been there and see what they do.

G Diesel
04-29-10, 12:50 pm
and G. i wouldn't toss the Poor and Hungry in there. I know a lot of amazing people who have hit a low point in life and been poor and hungry and are stronger than most others because of it. but i'd toss the people who have given up on life in there , the drug addicts, the alcoholics, the thieves and the people who just have absolutely no regard for the life they were given. Everyone falls on hard times and sometimes end up poor and hungry, but not everyone is content on staying there and making their life worth even less by polluting it with a white rock or a heated spoon....

We've all hit low points at one time or another. I'm no one to judge. My point was that our world generally considers some lives more valuable than others and that maybe there is a reason food and resources often are not shared with those in need--maybe those in power don't want them to live.

I know plenty of good people who have struggled with drugs or alcoholism or who dealt with the consequences of their lapses in judgement... Many good people out there whose life circumstances put them in a dark place without the luxury of hope. There are very few of our brethren who don't deserve a shot at redemption.

Peace, G

DEADn
04-30-10, 11:27 am
I hate television with a passion. I just dont like watching all the bullshit. I know others feel differently about it. That is ok because we dont have to agree on everything.

One thing that always bothered my soul most is when I see what Machine posted about. I have nothing against rich people, however I hate seeing their fuckin faces on t.v. asking america to help some one.

I just cant understand why people and organizations need famous people to tell other people what to do. I know why they do it, but it pisses me off.

People should learn to make their own damn choices.

I know for a fact that if all the rich people of the world wanted to they can probably go into Africa and save every starving child and put them through fricken college.

It sounds like a dream. When will people take their heads out of their ass and work together as a team.

You know their is NO such thing as jewish problems, black problems, greek problems, asian problems, christian problems, or islamic problems. Their is just FUCKIN PEOPLE PROBLEMS.

These topics boil my blood. I just want to end my post by saying NEVER STOP HELPING BROTHERS! Help every one. Put the differences aside. Religion, Skin color, and loving your country. We are all one. We are global citizens, not american citizens. I think I went off topic and I apologize for that. PEACE.

America is more obsessed with Hollywood thing anything else. If you can get an actor or someone 'famous' to push a 'product' you will get people to give. If you can get 'famous' people to answer those phone then you will get even more people to give. Adults will turn into teenagers and willing give money to a cause if they can brag that they spoke to so and so. It is how shallow society is.

DO you realize many Americans know more of what is going on in Hollywood then they could tell you the branches of Government?

I don't like watching tv much anymore either. I usually have some form of talk radio on. Usually something on hd radio on the npr stations or some am stations. Even now I currently have classical music playing but normally I have talk radio on.

Beowulf
04-30-10, 11:38 am
America is more obsessed with Hollywood thing anything else. If you can get an actor or someone 'famous' to push a 'product' you will get people to give. If you can get 'famous' people to answer those phone then you will get even more people to give. Adults will turn into teenagers and willing give money to a cause if they can brag that they spoke to so and so. It is how shallow society is.

DO you realize many Americans know more of what is going on in Hollywood then they could tell you the branches of Government?

I don't like watching tv much anymore either. I usually have some form of talk radio on. Usually something on hd radio on the npr stations or some am stations. Even now I currently have classical music playing but normally I have talk radio on.

I don't know. I think Hollywood is the easy target because everyone has a TV and watches movies. I'd say Americans are obsessed with celebrities in general, whether they are actors or pro athletes or rock stars. I think we're wired that way and this fascination with celebrities is not just limited to America. Let's be fair. Would we feel differently if LeBron James was asking for disaster relief aid? If Mick Jagger was asking for help to educate people in a third world country? Realistically speaking, even politicians can be celebrities, politicians from both sides of the aisles--Reagan, Clinton, etc.

U Mad Brah?
04-30-10, 12:05 pm
I don't know. I think Hollywood is the easy target because everyone has a TV and watches movies. I'd say Americans are obsessed with celebrities in general, whether they are actors or pro athletes or rock stars. I think we're wired that way and this fascination with celebrities is not just limited to America. Let's be fair. Would we feel differently if LeBron James was asking for disaster relief aid? If Mick Jagger was asking for help to educate people in a third world country? Realistically speaking, even politicians can be celebrities, politicians from both sides of the aisles--Reagan, Clinton, etc.

it's whoever we feel personal bias towards brahs, only good brahs should be asking for money... who are we to tell a brah what to piss their money at brahs... can't make our own decisions in life brahs?

Beowulf
04-30-10, 12:07 pm
it's whoever we feel personal bias towards brahs, only good brahs should be asking for money... who are we to tell a brah what to piss their money at brahs... can't make our own decisions in life brahs?

Translation, Brahspeak to English: Live and let live.

G Diesel
04-30-10, 12:10 pm

Progressive as I may be, I too believe in personal financial sovereignty. Who am I to tell the next man how to spend his dough?

If you are compelled to be charitable in one way or another, the act of giving in and of itself makes the world a better place (brah).

Peace, G

Mr. Dead
04-30-10, 12:23 pm

We've all hit low points at one time or another. I'm no one to judge. My point was that our world generally considers some lives more valuable than others and that maybe there is a reason food and resources often are not shared with those in need--maybe those in power don't want them to live.

I know plenty of good people who have struggled with drugs or alcoholism or who dealt with the consequences of their lapses in judgement... Many good people out there whose life circumstances put them in a dark place without the luxury of hope. There are very few of our brethren who don't deserve a shot at redemption.

Peace, G

Interesting points... Considering I was homeless and on the streets due to alcoholism and the irresponsibility of my youth... I had actually tried to use the "services" available at the time... Which set me up as an in-home caregiver to a paraplegic gentleman, with the understanding that I would be able to get a job and eventually get out on my own... I soon learned that was never his intention... Other "caregivers" in the home had been promised the very same thing... But none were ever allowed to do so... I left after 2 nights and was back on the streets... I eventually fought and scraped my way to where I am now... I'm a nurse... A co-vice president on the board of dierctors for a non-profit organization... I own a home and an acre of land... But, because of my past mistakes and hardships, does this make my life any more or less valuable than another's...??? No...

Brick By Brick
04-30-10, 12:26 pm
Interesting points... Considering I was homeless and on the streets due to alcoholism and the irresponsibility of my youth... I had actually tried to use the "services" available at the time... Which set me up as an in-home caregiver to a paraplegic gentleman, with the understanding that I would be able to get a job and eventually get out on my own... I soon learned that was never his intention... Other "caregivers" in the home had been promised the very same thing... But none were ever allowed to do so... I left after 2 nights and was back on the streets... I eventually fought and scraped my way to where I am now... I'm a nurse... A co-vice president on the board of dierctors for a non-profit organization... I own a home and an acre of land... But, because of my past mistakes and hardships, does this make my life any more or less valuable than another's...??? No...

That's what I'm talking about right there. An honest person deserves the chance to redeem themselves if they so wish. I commend you for being a success story, Mr. Dead, my hat is off to you.

U Mad Brah?
04-30-10, 1:30 pm

way to make something of ur life mr dead brahonie

U Mad Brah?
04-30-10, 1:36 pm
Translation, Brahspeak to English: Live and let live.

well said beobrah live and let live is the msg brah... fight only when u need to fight brahs... don't live in glass houses brahs... help others by your actions brahs... but can't force others to behave as u always want my highfalutin tootin brahonies

IronWilson
04-30-10, 4:40 pm

This is because we are lied to constantly by the government. At least those reality shows might have some reality elements to them. The government is always lying in such an obvious way. We never know what is going on behind the closed doors of the politicians. And we don't really know whats real or not with television today.

In my opinion, the government and modern entertainment are very similar. The main difference is that when you see someone on tv, you are entertained by them and know that they are a jackass. When you see a political figure, they are supposed to be our leaders that will make the best decisions for our country, but most are no less jackasses then those celebrities.

Now I'm no anarchist or anything, but our government shows us what is pretty. But they don't show us their imperfections. And as for political programming, they are the same as any tabloid or reality show. We get to see what happened somewhere and get to hear what someone thinks about it. Who cares what this or that political figure thinks about something? Frankly I am sick to death of hearing these analysts like Bill O'Reilly screaming incoherently about whatever subject they happen to be talking about on his show.

So basically, everything that is mass marketed is somewhat of a lie. There is no distinction between entertainment shows and political programming, except that in politics, they wave the issues facing our country in front of our faces, to remind us that there is nothing we can do about them. As nihilistic as this sounds, ultimately, they are going to broadcast what brings in viewers or listeners.

Muscleguy93
04-30-10, 4:49 pm
i agree with all you "brahs".

Mr. Dead
04-30-10, 6:53 pm
That's what I'm talking about right there. An honest person deserves the chance to redeem themselves if they so wish. I commend you for being a success story, Mr. Dead, my hat is off to you.

way to make something of ur life mr dead brahonie

Thank you... I'm just glad I was able to change my direction and fix it...

LegendKillerJosh
04-30-10, 7:01 pm
Amazing post from Machine, and I never expect less from him. Things like this are why the entire world is fucked up. I mean I would not be for the government taking all the money in the world and dividing equally amongst everyone as that would be retarded. But taking money from someone like me who doesn't make much more than I can live off of while CEO's of companies going bankrupt are giving themselves million dollar bonuses, well who wouldn't that piss off??

Machine
04-30-10, 9:31 pm
G

Your last comment is what I see and it fuels my revolutionary rage...you know how John Brown was sluffed off as a "radical" in his life and times. Now...I consider him a true hero of humanity. Thank you for a true affirmation.

And for Brah man...I have genuine love for you as my human brother...meant no real harm...sometimes the happy pill works...and sometimes it doesnt...sorry.

MACHINE