PDA

View Full Version : Injured shoulder advice

iron_hoshi
04-25-10, 8:33 am
Yo fellas,

I recently dislocated my right shoulder doing seated shoulder barbell presses. Although this is a chronic injury i have (comes out few times a year), it has never popped out during training. Ive decided to rest it for about a week or 2.

I was wondering if there are any exercises I can do in the future that would minimise the risk of it coming out again? (It came out wen I was just about to rack the barbell behind my head). Or if there are any of you guys that have had the same problem?

Much appreciated bros.

FITGYM
04-25-10, 2:11 pm
All you can really do is alot of rotator cuff exercises and hope it strengthens and holds. I would recommend having a spotter when you train chest and especially shoulders. maybe go with a lil weight for higher reps so you can feel whats going on in there and maybe stick with the smith machine. It has some good safety features that you can have in place if the shoulder pops again...

Cellardweller
04-25-10, 7:41 pm
I'm sure I don't need to tell you that every time your shoulder comes out it increases the chances of it happening again. All those tendons and ligaments get stretched bad. I have to second FITGYM and suggest smith machine workouts and definitely have a sharp spotter who is aware of your injury. Definitely follow up with an ortho MD.

Tron
04-25-10, 9:24 pm
Another thing is don't put the shoulder in a compromised position... You said:

...again? (It came out wen I was just about to rack the barbell behind my head). Or...

Try turning the bench around and lifting it from in front of you.

fenix237
04-26-10, 11:39 am
x3

don't put your shoulder in a compromised position behind your head- try standing shoulder presses. use lighter weight and build from there. do specific rotator cuff exercises. start taking a pak of Flex every day