PDA

View Full Version : Elbow positioning on DB Chest Press

Toro
04-28-10, 5:45 pm
Couple of days ago i watched an MD video where the guy they interviewed suggested to keep the elbows in during chest presses. This is more common on barbell presses but, most people tend to do DB chest press with their arms sticking 90 degrees from their body. This guy claimed that by doing this you isolate more the chest by leaving the delts partially out of the pressing motion.

It made a lot of sense to me and so i tried it just to feel the difference. It actually worked, i did not feel my delts as much and the pressing movement felt solid. However, i did notice that you miss out the stretching part when you lower the DBs (similar to a flye motion), but wtf youre supposed to be pressing. Im deffinatelly trying this with some heavy weight tomorrow.

This might be very usefull if youre having any shoulder injury or you just want to save your front delts for w/e reason.

theharjmann
04-29-10, 8:31 am
well Branch Warren presses with his elbows in slightly

and Ronnie Coleman presses with his elbows fully at 90 degrees

and i REALLY wouldnt mind having either of their chests.

i think your over thinking it

just press some weight in the gym but with good enough form so that it doesnt cause injury.

IRON-L
04-29-10, 8:43 am
Bro, I tend to love the old fashioned way, cause I find that elbows in hurts the elbow a bit.
If you're getting results with this, why not mix them up, one week 90 degree angle, then the next week elbows in.

I like to do like a dumbell incline hammer press, I feel it saves the elbow a bit and I like to think that it helps to construct a fuller, rather than a wider chest - then again, thats only my opinion.

Aggression
04-29-10, 8:58 am
well Branch Warren presses with his elbows in slightly

After watching his DVD, I gave this movement a shot, as I never felt perfect with the elbows straight out. I've been doing it the 'Branch' way ever since.

Brick By Brick
04-29-10, 11:20 am
I try to mimic the elbows in, wrists under the bar, etc., form with DB Presses that I use on BB bench press. I'm using my DB press to help bring up my BB press, so that's my rationale. Your results may differ.

Aggression
04-29-10, 11:40 am
I feel the benefit of a DB press is that you're able to have the hands in a different position compared to the 'locked-in' position that a barbell has on you. So when using a DB press, my elbows are out, yet no in a straight line, and my wrists are slightly turned upward, with my thumbs pointing at me.