PDA

View Full Version : 2x vs. 1x a week - Hitting the muscle

braves561
04-29-10, 3:44 pm
Anyone prefer to hit the muscle 2x a week as opposed to 1x?

I was on a Power/Hyper split back in the fall working the muscle 2x per week and ended up with a neck pain, knee pain, and an injured finger. I also had a very hard time putting weight on.

Aggression
04-29-10, 3:53 pm

I was on a Power/Hyper split back in the fall working the muscle 2x per week and ended up with a neck pain, knee pain, and an injured finger. I also had a very hard time putting weight on.

Sounds like that program didn't work for you. Meanwhile it may be great for others. That's the beauty of this sport. Find out what works best for you and run with it.

fawaz
04-29-10, 4:00 pm

yes i find i put on qiucker strength when i train for example chest 2x a week i increased gains better rather than once a week.so keep it up once you start it.

fenix237
04-29-10, 4:03 pm
Aggression made a good point- it's not whether something is better, but rather what works for you. i lift mostly for strength, and i made gains in muscle and strength working a muscle 1x, 2x, and 3x a week on various routines. i've made really good gains on a particular bench program that were 2x/wk

msktyshha
04-29-10, 9:02 pm
yeah I tried 2x a week and know guys who did 2x a week for major body parts and they had the same results as me, which were that we increased more in strength with 2x a week but put on significantly less muscle with 2x a week than once a week. So my experience, 2x a week is good for strength but not for putting on some muscle mass.

MrMonday
04-29-10, 9:28 pm
Sounds like that program didn't work for you. Meanwhile it may be great for others. That's the beauty of this sport. Find out what works best for you and run with it.

I disagree.

Although the program may have been too much (or too much too soon), my first reaction when reading the OP is that his DIET was not under control.

A program doesn't magically make you gain or lose weight. Only your diet does that. If you weren't eating enough food to recover and grow, then no duh you got joint pain and didn't like your training sessions.

I train every muscle group twice in every 6-8 days, and I understand that this requires more food (because for me, it means I'm growing faster).

IRON-L
04-30-10, 4:27 am
I use to train calves 1x per week, got little to no results.

Now I punish them every 3rd day, and its growing, slowly but surely.

NJC_Manhattan
04-30-10, 7:38 am
Certain muscles I dominate on the reg:

Calves
Abs
Forearms

Gets good results, but, as others have pointed out, you need to find what works best for you. Trial and error are golden in this sport.

MR.TeachFreak
04-30-10, 7:57 am
I sometimes do with the 3 day DC split. And I have before in previous workout programs. 2x a week works well for a stubborn body part but it can easily lead to over training if you aren;t careful. If you hit it 2x a week just make sure there is plenty of rest time for that muscle before you hit it again.

braves561
04-30-10, 12:44 pm
Well on the power days (1 upper, 1 lower workout), id average about 25 sets. On the hyper days about 30+ sets

AWARD
04-30-10, 1:58 pm
From about November I've been training chest, back and arms twice a week. A lot of people say its not a good idea but i've been getting noticeable gains in size as I'm bulking right now and strength. Though I find some weeks I'll keep one back and chest day as heavy days, and focus on lower reps (say 6); and the other chest day, ill go for higher reps (say 8 - 10).. It's been working for me so far, I guess it depends on your body.