PDA

View Full Version : Leg Workouts.

_Wolverine_
05-01-10, 9:26 am
I'm trying to blow up my legs. I'm starting to do legs twice a week but i want to change it up. Yesterday I did 3 sets of squat with 8, 8, 6, reps. I did leg press, leg extension, calf extension, and lunges. What other exercises should i implement in my workouts on leg days?

C.Coronato
05-03-10, 9:40 am
Do you do any hamstring work? Thats a big part of your leg as well ..

Littlefry
05-03-10, 12:33 pm
Do you do any hamstring work? Thats a big part of your leg as well ..

I agree. Many people neglect their hamstrings and than wonder why they cant improve there squat totals. The hamstring is essential in overall growth of the legs, and strenght of most of the movements involved as well. If I where you I would add in couple sets of stiff leg deadlifts and leg curls to begin.

LegendKillerJosh
05-03-10, 12:37 pm
I agree. Many people neglect their hamstrings and than wonder why they cant improve there squat totals. The hamstring is essential in overall growth of the legs, and strenght of most of the movements involved as well. If I where you I would add in couple sets of stiff leg deadlifts and leg curls to begin.

Having long, strong, flexible hamstrings also takes pressure off the lower back. My brothers chiropractor told him that stretching out the hamstrings is the best thing you can do when your lower back is tight, and when your hams are tight they pull on the back and compress the spine.

If you want to add size to your legs, I don't think training twice a week will help. They are a very large group of muscles that need plenty of rest. If you want to add good size, try pre-exhausting whatever area needs improvement the most before doing your leg presses and squats. Do all your exercises very slow and controlled and focus on the muscle you are working. And eat big of course.

Bombboy
05-03-10, 1:39 pm
Not only does the hammy increase visual size and decrease back pain, it also supports knee health directly through the ACL and IT Band. If your Quads became hyperdeveloped compared to your hamstrings it will increase knee pain.

BB

Birdman
05-03-10, 1:43 pm
I agree with the consensus, hamstring work is a necessity. One of the best hamstring movements, in my opinion, is the glute ham raise or "freakblasters."

Alk
05-03-10, 3:12 pm
Things that have changed my leg days forever:

Indian squats
Sissy squats
Lunges in the smith machine (20 reps per leg = amazingness)
Stiff legged deadlifts
High rep leg extensions (to warm up your knees instead of hurting them)

Among other things.

stumblin54
05-03-10, 9:15 pm
You performed back squats in addition to leg press?

Stumblin