PDA

View Full Version : Animal meets...mixed martial arts?

tommyb1203
05-01-10, 4:46 pm
Sup boys. So don't post on here too much but I do read quite a bit. I have been training in Mixed martial arts for the past two years. I have also been kickboxing for 3 years now. I FINALLY have my first fight comin up this summer so I needed to pack on the strength.

Obviously since I am about to fight, I cannot work under ideal conditions (ei..pack on mass and cut fat later) I need to keep the meat lean and calories low because I weigh(ed) 185 and need to be 155 for my fight.

Anyways just wanted to share my results so far. I have been using the routine from the Bench Like an Animal article (it has only been 4 weeks)

Before: (1 rep maxes)
Weight- 185lbs
Squat- 265lbs
Deadlift- 280lbs
Bench- 185lbs

Now: (4 weeks later)
Weight-174lbs
Squat- 305
Deads- 330
Bench-205

Not sure how great the leg improvement is for 4 weeks, but to me it seems pretty damn solid..10lbs a week increase to squat, 12.5 lbs a week to deadlift, and 5 lbs a week to bench. I plan on finishing this program strong an after these 8 weeks I'm hoping to be somewhere around s-340ish, deads- 360+, bench 215+.

I didn't set exact goals for myself because I don't want to over strain my body before a fight. After this program I will be taking it easy, moving reps up to around 8-10 and keep weights low until after my fight. For the first time in my life II have finally been satisfied with my gains (especially since I am dieting hardcore) and feel like the bug finally bit me in the ass. After my fight I will be hitting the gym and the food with full force. I'll keep everyone posted on the results when I finish this routine. Thanks for lookin brothas..

Mindaugas
05-01-10, 6:31 pm
weird... don't want to call you out... but it's kinda unreal to get these increases in weight's in 4 weeks considering your training mma i'm assuming like 5-6 times a week since you're preparing for a fight? which is very taxing on the body, and i guess you throw in some cardio.... and you lost 10 pounds... and you're preparing for first fight... getting those gains under these circumstances is kinda out of this world... can you post your weight training (and cardio) split for the week, and your mma training for the week.

tommyb1203
05-01-10, 7:29 pm
Keep in mind I'm not training like a pro fighter. I am about to do my first amateur fight nothing special. (I don't plan on being a fighter it's just for fun)

As I stated I've been using the bench like an animal routine for lifting.

I have not been really training (weights/ lifting related) for MMA, strictly technique.

Right now lifting days are:
monday-chest
tuesday-back
wednesday-off
thursday-legs
friday-shoulders
sat&sun-off
(I switched the days of the routine a lil to fit into my scheduele.

Cardio sched. is:
Monday- light run/jog (2 miles in about 16 or 17 minutes)
tuesday- kickboxing workout
wednesday-light run again (same as monday)
thursday- none due to leg day
friday-walk 2 miles (helps me loosen legs)
saturday-kickboxing workout
sunday- MMA full body conditioning (ladders, sprints, hi knees, abs routine, bag work etc)

Standup (kickboxing/ mauy thai) hasn't been too much workout lately mostly technique.
Ground work is jiu-jitsu on saturdays, sundays, and tech. (no rolling) on wednesday

Not sure if that's enough detail for you or not. (Not trying to sound like a prick lol) Keep in mind this is my first time being consistent (lifting) so my gains are not going to keep at this rate I'm sure.

If you really think I am just bullshitting I can make a video next week of these maxes. I'm not trying to come in here sounding like the shit by any means because I will quickly be put in my place lol. My lifts aren't huge by any means I am just happy to be improving quickly.

EDIT: I see your in chicago too, where you from? I'm on the south/ southwest side

ironshaolin
05-02-10, 7:16 pm
Na man, thats real gains. You went up 40lbs on squat, which is 10lbs a week. 20lbs on bench, 5lbs a week, and made great progress on deadlift. I've made progress like that doing 3x weekly martial arts training, teaching martial arts daily and doing conditioning 2-3x weekly.

One thing I might suggest, however. Bodypart splits like the chest/back/shoulders/legs thing you're doing are awesome for bodybuilders, not so much for fighers or athletes. I might recommend going to a 3 day a week strength specific program, either doing full body, or upper/lower, or push/pull splits. I've done them all, and I find those types to be much more beneficial to your performance in the fighting games.

tommyb1203
05-02-10, 10:22 pm
I might recommend going to a 3 day a week strength specific program, either doing full body, or upper/lower, or push/pull splits. I've done them all, and I find those types to be much more beneficial to your performance in the fighting games.

Shit, thanks man. I'll have to check into that a bit. I got almost 14 weeks till my fight, so I'm gonna finish out this routine and I'll see about throwin that in next.

Mindaugas
05-02-10, 11:18 pm
It's all good im not trying to call you out or anything i just want to help if i can. I got few muay thai fights under my belt. Like ironshaolin said, doing a split like that isn't that beneficial to you. I would suggest doing strenght training 2 times a week. As for cardio/conditioning, while running is great but it's not the best choice. I'm assuming that the fight is gonna be two 5 minute rounds, the training i would suggest would look something like this.

Day1
power cleans 5x5
Bench 5x5
Standing Strict BB Press: 5x5
Weighted Pull ups 5x5

Sprints 20 seconds all out, 1 min rest x 10 times

Day2
Pushpress x 1min
Ball Slams x 1min
Pushups x 1min
High Pulls x 1min
Burpes x 1min

1 min rest

Squat Thrusters x 1min
Sprawls x 1min
Hang cleans x 1min
box jumps x 1min
Jump Rope x 1min

Doing this will benefit you way more than doing cardio. The goal here is to get as many reps as possible, have a buddy time you and count and write down all your reps for each exercise. After you done add the numbers up and see your total. This way you can see your progress. I would suggest using 95 pounds for all the lifts that require BB ofcourse hah.

Day3
Squats 5x5
Standing One Arm DB Press 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
Dips 5x5

Eliptical or rower - 5 minutes all out 1 min rest 5 minutes all out. Again keep track of the distance you cover and each time try improving.

Day4
Same as day 2

You can do this mon, tuesday, thursday friday or monday tuesday ....friday saturday... you get the idea. In my opinion training like this would be very good for you. Hope you this helped if something's not clear let me know.

FITGYM
05-02-10, 11:21 pm
get yourself a can of Animal PM and reep the benefits of sleep. You might not get all of the gains you are looking for but you will be surprised at the gains you do get

xlionx
05-03-10, 10:21 pm
I no longer train as a fighter actually i switched sports and now and now gettin ready for a show and do alot of powerlifting meets.....umn but pretty sure you already got your answer but here you go...i trained like a bodybuilder while i got ready for my first fight and i also had to cut a good deal of weight.And the reason was i came from a wrestling background and we had an offseason and so on and so fourth but also cuz i later read that sean sherk trained like this.His split was
arms-monday/thursday
superset 1
barbell curls 6 /6-8
lying trice ext 6 /6-8
superset 2
alt db curls 4 /8-10
pushdwns 4 /8-10
preacher 4/8-10

back,shoulders-tuesday/friday
superset 1
mac. t bar rows 6 /8-10
seated mil press 6 /8-10
superset 2
one arm row 4 /8-10
seated db press 4 /8-10
superset 3
close grip pullups 4 /8-10
side lat raises 4 /8-10

chest-wednesday
dec. hammer press 6 /8-10
incline hammer 4 /8-10
inc db press 4 /8-10
flat bench db press 4 /8-10
pec dec flyes 4 /8-10

legs-saturday
kettlebell swings 6 /12-20
deadlifts 6 /8-10
leg press 4 /8-10
leg ext. 4 /8-10
lying leg curls 4 /8-10

superset 1
adductor mac 4 /20-30
abductor mac 4 /20-30
superset 2
standing calf raises 4 /10-15
seated calf 4 /10-15
Some of his training was all superseted and his reason was there isnt alot of time to rest in a fight which made sense.And he does alot of caveman training which is pretty sick.
hope this helps

tommyb1203
05-03-10, 10:26 pm
Thanks for all the replies guys. My main coach is out right now, but he will be back in a few more days so I will probably go with whatever he recommends before my fight.

I was doing this routine while he was gone mainly because I didn't know what would be best and just wanted to get started improving. After my fight I will be testing out all of these routines and see what works best for me so again, thanks for any and all input