PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Ox

Legacy
05-08-10, 10:35 am
I remember watching a video of Ox and PJ Braun training delts about a year ago, and I thought I would share this quote from Ox with all you bros. I think this was the best piece of advice he gave throughout the whole video.

"People think that there are secret movements or you are going to go train with this guy and he is going to teach you some cockamainy thing thats to bring out your glutes or something stupid. Its not about that. Its about hard work. I don't know how else to put it. Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself instead of just walking in the gym and saying oh my god I wonder what so and so is training. I wonder what Victor Martinez is doing, I wonder what Branch Warren does, I wonder what Phil Heath does. Fuck that ya know. You have to go in there and just punish yourself, just punish yourself. Pick up some fuckin' weight and just move it. Ya know press it, pull it, do whatever you gotta do. Just work hard, its not about how many reps I did with this weight or how many sets I did of this exercise or was my form just perfect. Sometimes you just gotta go, just go and don't over think it. Don't get me wrong I am guilty of it too, but sometimes we over complicate stuff like how many grams of protein and how many calories and how many sets and how many reps and how much weight. Sometimes you just gotta go, just do it. A lot of you people know more than you think you know. Someone else doesn't always have the answer, you guys gotta give yourself more credit than that."

FITGYM
05-08-10, 11:47 am
Thats a seriously intense quote.

Elf
05-08-10, 12:22 pm
I watched this video last night. I love the analytical-ness that lifters achieve throughout years of being in and out of the gym, dieting, and listening to so many different opinions. Bodybuilders, and powerlifters alike, are some of the most sensible and logical people. I respect guys like Evan, Fankhouser, Dorian, ect based upon the fact that they know their shit and they tell people how it is.

LegendKillerJosh
05-08-10, 12:32 pm
I disagree with some of that. Cause I believe if you try to train or eat just off instincts, you may not be doing as well as you think. I think you need to record your workouts and diet so you know what you have to do next time you are in the gym.

Sphinx
05-08-10, 12:57 pm
I disagree with some of that. Cause I believe if you try to train or eat just off instincts, you may not be doing as well as you think. I think you need to record your workouts and diet so you know what you have to do next time you are in the gym.

I don't disagree with you, but I think the main gist of the message is just actually taking that initial step and doing as opposed to not doing. Even going off instincts is somewhat necessary, it lets the individual figure out what can or can't work. Thats how I did it.

Legacy
05-08-10, 1:48 pm

I see what your saying, but you can't just go off everything you write down on paper because your body isnt the same from day to day. For example if you have your workout set up for the next day lift, but for some reason you miss meals or just have low energy levels, you might not be able to accomplish the workout you planned out, therefore you have to just go in and do what you can do.

The point of the quote was to get away from the complexity of the issue like where you are at. From your reply, it seems as you believe in writing everything down and counting sets and reps and nutrition and thats fine, to each his own, but what Evan was getting at was there are times when it doesn't have to be an exact science and you just gotta go in and do what you gotta do instead of worrying about how many sets or reps you did, or whether your form was right or not.

I don't disagree with you, but I think the main gist of the message is just actually taking that initial step and doing as opposed to not doing. Even going off instincts is somewhat necessary, it lets the individual figure out what can or can't work. Thats how I did it.

Hit it on the spot bro, training instinctively lets you figure out exactly what works best for you and allows you to learn more about your body.

fawaz
05-08-10, 3:59 pm
i agree with you legacy.if you dont train insane then you will remain the same.keep up the motivation.

Legacy
05-09-10, 11:28 pm
Another valid point he brought up that a lot of people don't think about is that when we are weight training, it isn't just about training each specific muscle, its also important to train your whole body and also the central nervous system and to elicit a hormonal response in the body.

Basically the point was saying how machines and cables have their place in your routine, but in order to hit the central nervous system and hormonal response free weights should be the back bone of each routine.

Ox has great knowledge to weight training. Complex enough to make a lot of sense, yet simply enough to adapt to your routine.