PDA

View Full Version : 45 seconds or 2-3 minutes?

Deltoid
05-08-10, 10:24 pm
Okay, I've done both. I've rested for 45 seconds and I've rested 2-3 minutes...people say 2-5 is key for putting on mass. Is this bullshit? Cuz I've heard that doing moderate weight and higher reps builds mass....and vice versa. I don't know what to believe, either way I've put on size switching it up constantly. I just wanna hear what my iron-bro's gotta say at animalpak

Legacy
05-08-10, 11:37 pm
Okay, I've done both. I've rested for 45 seconds and I've rested 2-3 minutes...people say 2-5 is key for putting on mass. Is this bullshit? Cuz I've heard that doing moderate weight and higher reps builds mass....and vice versa. I don't know what to believe, either way I've put on size switching it up constantly. I just wanna hear what my iron-bro's gotta say at animalpak

People rest for 2-5 minutes because it gives your body time to restore your muscles so you can go all out on your next set. For example, if you bench 405 for 10 reps, it would be hard to bench 405 again for another 10 with only 30 seconds of rest because your body stores are still depleted.

The key for putting on mass: overload and excess calories. Train your ass off and stay in the hypertrophy rep range of 7-12, then go home and eat more than your body needs.

I like to switch my rest periods up, so days I take minutes, other days seconds, all based on how my energy levels are and how I want to feel during my workout. You say what your doing for yourself works, I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Menace
05-08-10, 11:47 pm
I think the longer rest between sets helps with strength but not necessarily mass. I've found shorter rest between sets keeps me much fuller and I've found that longer rest period between sets helps my strength gains a bunch. But those workouts are usually lacking in the pump department, so i don't look as full. Again you have to see what works for you as an individual and switch things up. You can't go wrong switching things up, keep your body guessing and growing!

menace

Zeeshan Sheikh
05-09-10, 12:49 am
You have to figure out what works best for you. For me, i only rest for about a minute and then i am ready to do the next set.

NaturalTrainee
05-09-10, 7:28 am
Whatever helps you complete the next set. I usually change rest times, but when I go heavy I rest until I feel ready for the next. Iso movements usually require smaller rests while compounds can exhaust you.

Deltoid
05-09-10, 12:35 pm
Alright so mass has nothing to do with resting, just your strength. On a daily basis I'd like to think I eat enough food for three people. So I guess that's helping me. For some reason it seems like my gains have slowed down though. Thanks for the input though, some interesting reasoning.

Funky
05-10-10, 2:33 pm
I go off how I feel. Example back day doing deads takes way longer than say shoulder press to get through. My body says rest so I do not fall over I say yes sir!!

Deltoid
05-10-10, 3:35 pm
One more question though, should I keep my resting tempo consistent throughout training or does it not matter? I did 2-3 minute breaks between flat and incline bench, then did 1 minute breaks in between the other two exercises. Is this bad or does it not matter?

Funky
05-10-10, 3:37 pm
That sounds good. The way I do it personally is the bigger heavy lifts I give 2-5 minutes depending on how heavy I go. For accessories I give 30 seconds to 2 minutes max!

C.Coronato
05-10-10, 4:41 pm
I rest only long enough to allow my parter to train. As soon as he is done, i go.

Funky
05-10-10, 4:45 pm
I rest only long enough to allow my parter to train. As soon as he is done, i go.

That works well if you have a partner to train with!! I remember those days!

prowrestler
05-10-10, 5:18 pm
depends on the exercise and person

a guy who's 300lbs and 25% bodyfat that is squatting 800lbs will rest a shit load longer then the 165lb guy doing bicep supersets..

big heavy lifts, rest 3mins but really, when your mentally ready, how ever long that takes.

less draining lifts, rest like a minute.

Deltoid
05-11-10, 1:23 pm
Alright awesome guys, thanks a ton!