PDA

View Full Version : Arm superset guidance

derekppal
05-09-10, 3:39 pm
I searched and had no luck finding an answer to my question. I do bis and tris on the same day and am looking to add supersets to the routine. I have been told various things and am trying to get the best workout possible. Should I do a superset of two exercises for the same muscle, such as barbell curl with preacher curl, or a superset with both muscle groups like barbell curl with skull crushers? Thank you for any advice.

Toro
05-09-10, 3:48 pm
This depends totally on what feels best to you, for instance i encourage you to try both ways and to decide afterwards. I personally like to do three supersets in my arms day, where i do a tricep exercise first and then hit a bicep movement. It gets the job done quick and with great intensity.

Btw read this and give it a try if u like it, it made wonders on my arms.

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=272

SDR
05-09-10, 3:55 pm
something that worked fucking well for the workout (and i havent felt this good of a pump set) was 3 ascending sets of barbell curls (straight bar) superset with tricep pushdowns, and finish off with preacher curls with ez bar superset with overhead extensions using the same ez bar...

TRAIN HARD NOT LONG !

R-Man
05-09-10, 4:54 pm
Barbell curls superset with close grip bench
Hammer curls superset with pushdowns
incline dumbell curls superset with diamond pushups

Ive done this before your arms will grow

fawaz
05-09-10, 5:50 pm
do biceps first then triceps.
superset the biceps by any exersie you can get hold of just go in and grab anything and go to failure on it.keep the blood flow giong.
remember training instinct.

Machine
05-09-10, 9:40 pm
Your arms will grow if you bench press.

Your arms will grow if you squat heavy.

Your arms will grow if you deadlift heavy.

Your arms will grow if you shoulder press heavy.

The point I am making...and have tried to make for over ten years now is simply this...upper arms are like the trim on a house, once you build the bitch, you can always put on the fancy trim. But know this...people who concern themselves with upper arm training and growth are almost always the one's wilth undeveloped or under developed backs, legs, core strength, and just about everything else. I say this not to discourage you...but to illuminate your world that I have watched IFBB pros realize that they have a decent overall package but lack some upper arm development...so what...they go out and get some arms...no big deal. And conversely...I have watched IFBB pros realize that they had 23 inch arms, and not significant foundations, and that it is commonly referred to as "throw away pro body parts" becuase they cant catch the rest of the larger parts up because they were now an upside down pyramid. People think that you can always go back and fix foundational ommisions that are huge...the point is that oyu cannot go back and address large issues...but you can go back and enhance your upper arm development. Just my 2 cents.

MACHINE

Crash
05-09-10, 10:28 pm
...Aside from what Machine said, which is about as on point as it can get; there are two appraoches to this. First would be to Superset opposing muscle groups, first doing Triceps (since they are 2/3rds of the arm), then doing Biceps. This is usually done by those who have a life, and like to be in and out of the gym. The second approach would be the Superset where you do a major movement, (i.e. Barbell Curls or Skull Crushers) followed by an auxillary movement (cables, dumbbells) to further flush the muscle (pump), and do more damage. This is usually an intensity technique, done sparingly...

...Then there are those of us, who like to take it slow. Triceps, then Biceps...

...Strength and Honor...

Legacy
05-09-10, 11:07 pm
Read this article bro, written by Schak. Great workout

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=272

NaturalTrainee
05-10-10, 12:30 pm
Progressive overload.
To set this differently: Which way allows you to best increase the weight with excellent form?

derekppal
05-11-10, 6:32 pm
I hear you Machine, and I do focus on the rest. I feel like my arms are underdeveloped and am switching to the split training routine #9 listed on the website. This will give me one major muscle group per day, then bis and tris together. The article passed on by a couple folks was great, thanks for the advice.

SailinScotty
05-12-10, 5:29 pm
Read this article bro, written by Schak. Great workout

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=272

I agree great article and read. I did this arm w/o for awhile me my arms always felt like they were going to burst out of my skin when I was finished.

Avominion
05-12-10, 9:09 pm
Machine's post = Awesome! I only wish people at my gym understood this concept and would stop criticizing people who are working on their foundations.