PDA

View Full Version : forearms during barbell curls

blaine
05-09-10, 7:44 pm
during my guns day i hit up biceps with some heavy barbell curls. recently i felt a lot of pain in my forearm i think is originating from the bone. it feels sore and hurts when i put the weight down. could it be stress fractures similar to shin splints or maybe i just need to work through it to make it go away. any thoughts?

Big Daddy Poseidon
05-09-10, 7:55 pm
i used to have the same pains bro, try working with different grips, or try different exercises that dont hurt your forearms, then come back to that exercise later (as in a month or two)

prowrestler
05-09-10, 7:59 pm
use the smallest angle on the EZ curl bar.

you dont have the wrist flexibility for a straight bar most likely and its fucking with your tendons and ligaments.

DO NOT try reverse grip curls using a straight bar. its gonna be a hell of alot worse.

blaine
05-09-10, 9:23 pm
thanks, i think im just going to stick to dumbbells. even though barbell was kickass

Menace
05-09-10, 9:58 pm
sounds like Tendinitis. i suffered from it pretty bad about 2 years ago. same pain you describe. i had pain for about 6 months, the straight bar curls are what caused mine, the ez-curl bar takes most of the strain of the wrist/forearm. i had to put my arm training on hold while they healed. lots of rest and compression sleeves helped me get through. my training def changed a lot from it, although it sucked i def learned a lot about my body from it. hopefully what you describing is only the start of something so you can make changes now to prevent any further injury.

HDV
05-11-10, 3:11 am
Guys not to steal the post here but I get the same pains especially doing seated preacher curls with close grip with ez bar.Is this something serious to avoid?

I find if I don't use the bench and do standing curls I don't get the pain

Shawn Rainey
05-11-10, 3:39 am
yeah the preacher curls suck.. seriously they hurt a lot of people. I haven't been able to do them with even light weight in 15 years. and I can handle 750+ lbs in my hands on the bench.. So I just keep away from barbell curls and stick with dumbbells.. thats my suggestion..

HDV
05-11-10, 4:23 am
Thanks Shawn there you have it.Blaine guess we need to hit the dumbbells harder bro

IronWilson
05-11-10, 10:44 am
I am going through treatment for bicep tendonitis right now. You need to find out if it really is a muscle imbalance that is causing this. For me, it was that my scalpulas were not strong enough. So, I had to strengthen them (I didn't know you even could). In the mean time, take a rest from bicep work or anything that irritates them.

fenix237
05-11-10, 11:18 am
i used to get tendonitis in my elbows bad when doing heavy curls- i've since almost completely eliminated isolation bicep work and i'm pain free- i prefer to save my elbows for the big lifts + feel i still hit them hard. i train for strength, so i'm not too concerned about detail. at most, i will do 4 sets of moderate weight curls at the end of a back workout to finish of the guns

i know it sounds like a shameless plug, but taking Flex has helped a lot...YMMV

Funky
05-11-10, 11:24 am
Yeah flex and a ligament-tendon supp will strengthen them and will help you build the tendons/ligaments up! I used to get that pain alot doing even smaller weights with BB curls. I am now back up to 100+ no pain after! Been using both supps for like 2 months now.

shortstack
05-11-10, 1:54 pm
Since I had this same problem a few years ago I'd have to suggest waiting until the injury is not bothering you any more and start hitting some wrist curls.

I do both straight bar curls off the end of my knees while Im sitting on a bench and also with a dumbell off the end of the flat bench. Hit some medium weight that you can hit 12-15 times. I go until I can't curl but that's just me.

I've been specifically doing wrist curls, in addition to bis and tris on arm day, for about 2 years and haven't had any of those forearm pains since.

blaine
05-11-10, 7:17 pm
I'm going to stay away from anything that irritates it for a little while, eliminating barbell curls and sticking to dumbbells. In the meantime I will hit forearms harder on guns days and probably pick up flex.

FITGYM
05-11-10, 8:08 pm
Do you twist your wrist when doing this exercise?

Do you train forearms separately?
When doing Forearm exercises you need to consider the surface you might use for leverage and that the type of bar or dumbbell play a factor. You have to realize that an olympic bar will apply alot more pressure to the joints because of the length of the bar. If you put a set of 10lb plates on an olympic bar know that the lbs per sq inch will be greater than 65lbs.

and give your forearms a chance to heal

LegendKillerJosh
05-11-10, 8:18 pm
My wrists always hurt when I do military presses so I use dumbells. I recommend the same for curls.

fenix237
05-11-10, 11:05 pm
I do both straight bar curls off the end of my knees while Im sitting on a bench and also with a dumbell off the end of the flat bench. Hit some medium weight that you can hit 12-15 times. I go until I can't curl but that's just me.

right on! that's what i was talking about- use a more moderate weight but do higher reps and get them boys burning. i go slow and controlled until failure or close to it- doing it this way my elbows get beat up a lot less than using more weight and less reps + more sets

blaine
05-12-10, 3:33 pm
im gonna let it fully heal. it hurt bad today during my back split. i couldn't do dumbbell rows. it doesnt hurt during pull ups. im gonna switching to weighted pull ups for a bit.