PDA

View Full Version : Pushups?

Grantski
02-23-07, 3:21 pm
hey guys just wonderin wat the general opinion is out there for throwin push ups into a chest routine.

IntensityJT
02-23-07, 3:22 pm
i sometimes to push-ups at the end of my chest workout...usually just do like 2 sets till failure, its a good ending move to really blast the chest at the end

born0withno0soul
02-23-07, 3:25 pm
I always do push-ups on chest days. this was brought up in another recent post about saunas. I get in the dry heat room and do push-ups as a warm up. With all that heat you loosen your chest up good and get a good pump going. I do them every week.

Hollow
02-23-07, 3:25 pm
Likewise, a set or two at the end seems to finish the chest off nicely.

Toni69
02-23-07, 3:26 pm
I always throw in extra stuff whenever I rest..usually something opposite of what I am training, just to stay warm and pumped. Like if I am training back, I will do calves or abs in between sets.

I have done push-ups in between sets on chest day and other training days. Its an awesome feeling to finish a set of let's say shoulder presses and hit the floor and bust out as many push-ups as you can.

brandonA
02-23-07, 3:28 pm
i have to do sissy push up, that's right i said it...dont get me wrong i can do maybe 10 of 15 real pushups, but then that is it, so i do sissys...that way i can do lots....i like them on a cardio day, or some times i did not get what i liked out of chest or tri's...no doubt that they work your ass out......
-B

Freakshow
02-23-07, 3:29 pm
Like Toni, I also do different things in between sets. Abs, calves, and push-ups are all things that I do from time to time. As far as push-ups in a chest routine, I think thats a great idea, maybe at the end of the workout to really finish out strong.

mikejones1
02-23-07, 3:38 pm
try diamond pushups if you havnt already, theyre great and a good changup from regular pushups

Eyes0cket
02-23-07, 4:01 pm
DOnt know if this is a good idea or bad....... But I do pushups and handstand pushups a few times a week till failure right before I take my nighttime shake...... Since doing this my shoulder press and bench press have went up 10-20lbs and I passed a wall I was hitting..... Might not work for you though, if you are one of those people that cant do stuff before bed without staying up all night.....

Bob
02-23-07, 4:03 pm
They are good to do a burnout set but imo if you really wanna destroy your chest hit it with a drop set or something, use perfect form and you will be sore for a few days

Anoby
02-23-07, 5:06 pm
i sometimes to push-ups at the end of my chest workout...usually just do like 2 sets till failure, its a good ending move to really blast the chest at the end

same here

Shark
02-23-07, 5:08 pm
Living up here in Maine now its cold all the damn time. Even a good ten minutes on the treadmill doesnt warm me up sometimes. So on chest and shoulder day I always start out with two sets of 20 push ups to get me warmed up.

ldskenpo
02-23-07, 6:50 pm
I do pushups everyday, I think they are a great exercise
on chest day I keep my elbows wide and on shoulder/ tri day i keep my elbows to my sides.

Big Wides
02-23-07, 7:17 pm
found that push-ups have increased my bench when thrown into the mix weekly, and switch them up, one week reg, the next clap-pushups, or feet up on a box. there are a lot of variations that help

LuvsThePain
02-23-07, 7:36 pm
I think that pushups should be staple for every body builder. I personally do pushups on chest day for my warm up. I've found that nothing gets my chest ready for a good set of bench better than push ups.

I also throw pushups in to finish off the end of my chest routine. Pushups to failure are great for intensity. Just as long as you're practicing good form, pushups can make a great addition to your routine.

ΞRASΞЯ ♠
02-23-07, 8:38 pm
Yah ! I like throwin'em in there in the end. I usually warm-up with dips though, anyone else do the same ?

HeyBigSexy
02-23-07, 9:02 pm
i usually do bodyweighted things on tuesdays and thursdays with my 5am cardio just to really get more caloric burning done...usually ill do uneven pushups and clap push ups...get your heart goin by putting a block about 6 inchs high and starting with your left hand on the block...do a push up then hop to the other side landing your right on the block and doing a push up then back and forth...great for the burn

Kiwi129
02-23-07, 9:07 pm
A lot of guys in my high school weight room do push-ups in between all their chest exercises. The strongest kid (pound for pound) in our school got everyone started on it. I personally don't prescribe to it because I don't want to weaken my important chest exercises.

txpower
02-23-07, 9:19 pm
definately have pushups at the the end of my work out. I superset pushups with dips.

Jeff the Repper
02-23-07, 10:09 pm
You can do lot with push-ups, like any other exercise you have to do them with 100 % intensity. I do them on the floor with my kids on my back or do a lot of other variations against the wall. If you want to see where you can go with this kind of exercise check out Matt Furey and his training systems. Here again not a mass builder but good to end a Chest / Shoulder day

Time to rep out.....

Mean Machine
02-23-07, 10:46 pm
I do around 100 of them atleast 4 nights a week. Just a habit that I've had since I was young.

hjayss
02-24-07, 1:57 am
Nothing like pushups do not touch a weight I say until you can lift your body weight. Try to do them on top of the db real good stretch good burn to right at the end for me. when I take my week of I still do them and pullups.

Northman
02-24-07, 2:29 am
They are great when doing cardio. I do my cardio on hills, so I...
1) sprint up a steep hill
2) do 50 push-ups
3) shuffle sideways down the hill
4) do 50 bunny-hops
5) sprint up the hill
6) do 40-45 push-ups
7) shuffle sideways down the hill facing the other way
8) do 40-45 bunny-hops

Continue in said manner until you can't either breathe, do a push-up, or do a bunny-hop. I do this every day when trying to loose weight.

NTENSE
02-24-07, 12:25 pm
i'll do a set of pushups right after racking the weights from a chest set as a superset, even if it's only a few of them.

edoublep
02-19-08, 10:54 am
How many other of you goons fvkin love pounding out pushups?

powerhouse
02-19-08, 11:20 am
dude im not a goon and i can do 75 in one set

mcbeast
02-19-08, 11:54 am
i think last time i trained out for pushups i hit 40 claps pushups,and 65ish? Regular pushups.Im actually going to start them back,3xfailure every morning

DRIVEN
02-19-08, 11:56 am
I Dont usually do a whole lot of these, but however i do do them to failure sometimes uneven (on half a ab roller-ball) after chest day does me pretty good 4x15on each side

Pizzalamp
02-19-08, 11:57 am
1000 in 1 hour

pmug0000
02-19-08, 12:01 pm
1000 in 1 hour

Damn, I don't think I've done 1000 pushups in my life! What good does it really do for you to bust out such a high number of pushups? It's not like you'd ever do 50+ reps of bench press, so why the high volume of pushups?

Pizzalamp
02-19-08, 2:35 pm
Damn, I don't think I've done 1000 pushups in my life! What good does it really do for you to bust out such a high number of pushups? It's not like you'd ever do 50+ reps of bench press, so why the high volume of pushups?

lol i dont do that anymore used to do it before i began heavy lifting

focused
02-19-08, 3:05 pm
I'm a real big fan of pushups and pullups, then again, i do these and dips quite a bit since we're allotted very little time in which i can go to the gym.

jeff00z28
02-19-08, 9:28 pm
supersetting bodyweight dips and pushups is a good way to end a workout. for me anyway

hallde
02-19-08, 10:34 pm
every now and then if I have a little juice left after chest day I will a couple of sets of pushups on medicine balls till failure to finish of my chest. I like doing them on the medicine balls cause it adds a degree of difficulty to the movement since you have to stabilize yourself

master of disaster
04-29-08, 7:51 pm
hey, my boxing instructor told me that if I did a 100 push ups or more every night then I could add about an inch or so onto my chest? is this true? would I over work my muscles or anything if I did this plus my regualr workout routine (routine 7) if so then I'll do it, Id like to get a lil bigger and lean for the summer...rock the beach bod haha

Cellerator65
04-29-08, 9:43 pm
in how long tho? a week? a month? a year? its kinda a broad statement bro.

Easiest way to gain size is to lift hard, eat hard, rest hard... btw there is no easy way to get big :)

sanga
04-30-08, 3:51 am
It will depend on calorie intake, recovery, stimulation rather than over stimulation, so many variables.

vgiordano
04-30-08, 5:49 am
Doing 100 push ups each night may slightly impact your regular chest routine. Try possibly working a bunch of pushups into your regular chest day.

Carpe Diem P.T
04-30-08, 8:01 am
Hmm from my last few years of reserach i would say no due to the hypertrophy training range being between approx 8 - 12 reps. anymore in my book is purely endurance.

The myofribils in our muscle fibres grow when there is a direct demand on them to do so. I would say that once you can do more than 15 reps in a row without failure, chest will not continue to grow as the demand on it is too low.

rhane
04-30-08, 10:31 am
Pushups aren't really that stressful. If you're in shape already, all pushups are really doing is depleting muscle glycogen and helping to increase some oxidative systems that will eventually result in high muscular endurance.

InkdMuscle
04-30-08, 11:28 am
Pushups aren't really that stressful. If you're in shape already, all pushups are really doing is depleting muscle glycogen and helping to increase some oxidative systems that will eventually result in high muscular endurance.

I agree w/rhane. Pushups is more for endurance then building muscle IMO. If you want to add size to any muscle structure start with changing your diet up. Then your workout. If you stick to your guns in those 2 depts and be dedicated you souldnt have a problem.

Maccabee
04-30-08, 12:28 pm
Boxing rules bro! You might gain size since this is some thing new to the body, but dont expect it to happen all the time. How many boxers have you seen on tv that have big hard rock chests?

Its all up to what you eat. Since you are boxing you got to do your push ups every night. Thats what I used to do when I was boxing.

master of disaster
04-30-08, 7:08 pm
yeah you guys are right, only way to get big is hard work and dedication, I'll do what vgiordano said, i'll jus subsitute it in for a diffrent exercise then, its really good for cardio too I find, especially if you do burpees, jump up land in push up postion then keep on repeating. or if ya do bout 20 then go at the heavy bag for 5 mins and do 30 situps, that really gets your heart pumpin too. thanks for the info once again guys

Iron_Man
04-30-08, 7:24 pm
its all different for everyone, like me for instance, when i miss a workout, i do about 200-300 pushups, and by the time im done, i get a massive pump, i guess since your doing alot of reps, but i know push ups is a good excercise, it might not get you the "huge" arnold type chest but yeah it could add some mass id say since i have experianced it.

master of disaster
04-30-08, 9:31 pm
well its not really an Arnold chest that I'm lookin, more of a sugar ray leonard kidna one

msktyshha
10-28-09, 10:19 pm
what happened to these old staples. how many of u actually perform pushups in ur chest routines?? any different variations u guys got? any weighted pushups?? I did some pushups to failure at the end of my chest workout on monday and i really felt a good pump after doing them.

sunny_max
10-28-09, 10:34 pm
mostly i do em at the begining of my chest day to warmup....variations....well i do finger pushups and 3 finger pushups, knuckle pushups on the street, and calpping pushups? you knwo the one you push off the floor, clap and get back......i do these exercises on forearm and grip routine....on the days i miss gym i go for feet elevated pushups and try to do 100 of em in 2-3 sets for a good pump!!!

Pizzalamp
10-28-09, 10:38 pm
what happened to these old staples. how many of u actually perform pushups in ur chest routines?? any different variations u guys got? any weighted pushups?? I did some pushups to failure at the end of my chest workout on monday and i really felt a good pump after doing them.
I love pushups
in my chest workouts i always include various forms of them
every now and then ill just go for max pushups...i did 400 last time spread out in sets...next time i do max pushups il go for 1000

grasshopper pushups
scorpion pushups
spiderman pushups
dovetail pushups
dive bomber pushups
plyo pushups
weighted pushups
knuckle pushups
handstand pushups
pushups on hanging rings
pushups on bosu ball
pushups w hands on stability ball
pushups on 2 stability balls
pushups on 3 stability balls
pushups w hands on stabilty ball, feet up on bench

sunny_max
10-28-09, 10:47 pm
I love pushups
in my chest workouts i always include various forms of them
every now and then ill just go for max pushups...i did 400 last time spread out in sets...next time i do max pushups il go for 1000

grasshopper pushups
scorpion pushups
spiderman pushups
dovetail pushups
dive bomber pushups
plyo pushups
weighted pushups
knuckle pushups
handstand pushups
pushups on hanging rings
pushups on bosu ball
pushups w hands on stability ball
pushups on 2 stability balls
pushups on 3 stability balls
pushups w hands on stabilty ball, feet up on bench

shit man thats a lotta pushups i din even know about......thnx pizza.......and 1000 pushups seems awesome imma have to shoot for that as a goal.....

prosslaggerz
10-28-09, 10:55 pm
Hey animals just woke up this mourning and i felt a terribel pain in my shoulders and my chest ..i thought is ok, normal...then i remember that i have been doin´push ups every mourning since a week.. i used to do it once a week now daily.

so it is good to my chest make push ups every days?? or is good for gain and definition like someone told me..??

mcbeast
10-29-09, 3:13 am
Palms In Pushups Off Dumbells is another good one to add to the list..

Military here, dont really have a choice but to do them haha! I like to throw em in with ab circuits and whatnot tho. They are a good foundational exercise.

Pizzalamp
10-29-09, 6:45 am
i wouldnt do pushups every day.
youre working your delts, chest, and triceps very hard with pushups, and those muscles need time to recover and rest.

if you have terrible pain, then i would rest your upper body for some time, and perhaps see a doctor.

good luck.

Pizzalamp
10-29-09, 6:48 am
shit man thats a lotta pushups i din even know about......thnx pizza.......and 1000 pushups seems awesome imma have to shoot for that as a goal.....
NICE!

i forgot to list
pushups on 2 medicine balls
diamond pushups..on the floor or on 1 medicine ball
alligator pushups
single lateral rolling pushups
t pushups

theharjmann
10-29-09, 7:04 am

i love doing pushups

on chest day i also train abs

and pusups are a perfect transition exercise to finish off chest and start abs since you use so much core in a pushup.

msktyshha
10-29-09, 8:23 am
wow what a list of pushups loll awesome man i love diamond pushups, stability ball pushups and clap pushups. btw how do u go about doing these 1000 or 500 pushups. like where in ur workout do u fit them. cause doing them in the beginning as for me would leave me too fatigued for my workout. and doing so many pushups does it help to build mass or just endurance?

msktyshha
10-29-09, 8:34 am
maybe ur going too down on ur pushups. i know some guys they do some sort of chair pushups just to get the extra stretch, but i think they are not too good for ur shoulders. also x2 watever pizza said

ironshaolin
10-29-09, 8:34 am
Pizza,

Good stuff! Leave it to any martial artist to come up with about a million ways to do pushups.

I'll add:
Un-even pushups(one hand high, one low)
thumb pushups
foreknuckle pushups
forgot the name on these, but put one leg in air, lean towards opposite side on the way down
9 count finger tip pushups-we do these in kung fu. count 1, raise hands into air. count2-bend over, fingers on floor. 3-jump back to pushup position. 4-lean back, stretching shoulders. 5-go to bottom of pushup and hold. 6-pushup 7-lean back again. 8-jump your feet in, 9-stand up, circle hands out and make fists at belt level. We'll hold each count for 3-4 seconds, they get tough after a few.

don't forget everyone's favorite-one arm pushups
pushups with hands on dumbells
pushups with hands ona barbell
medicine ball pushups
one hand on medicine ball pushups
one hand on medicine ball pushups, switch hands every rep

If I had 5 more minutes, I could come up with a few more.

Beach91
10-29-09, 9:13 am
just did pushups last nite,

i love supersetting them
peck deck and pushups superset during chest day, love em

Arm day, i do a chinup with legs straight out followed by the tricep, hands in a diamond position pushup superset.

great exercise

dyskee
10-29-09, 1:09 pm
rest a little bit

prosslaggerz
10-29-09, 2:01 pm
thanks guys--..

Pizzalamp
10-29-09, 8:39 pm
wow what a list of pushups loll awesome man i love diamond pushups, stability ball pushups and clap pushups. btw how do u go about doing these 1000 or 500 pushups. like where in ur workout do u fit them. cause doing them in the beginning as for me would leave me too fatigued for my workout. and doing so many pushups does it help to build mass or just endurance?
with the high rep pushups that was pretty much my whole workout-i wouldnt do that many pushups every chest day-just once in a while to shock the muscle

Pizza,

Good stuff! Leave it to any martial artist to come up with about a million ways to do pushups.

I'll add:
Un-even pushups(one hand high, one low)
thumb pushups
foreknuckle pushups
forgot the name on these, but put one leg in air, lean towards opposite side on the way down
9 count finger tip pushups-we do these in kung fu. count 1, raise hands into air. count2-bend over, fingers on floor. 3-jump back to pushup position. 4-lean back, stretching shoulders. 5-go to bottom of pushup and hold. 6-pushup 7-lean back again. 8-jump your feet in, 9-stand up, circle hands out and make fists at belt level. We'll hold each count for 3-4 seconds, they get tough after a few.

don't forget everyone's favorite-one arm pushups
pushups with hands on dumbells
pushups with hands ona barbell
medicine ball pushups
one hand on medicine ball pushups
one hand on medicine ball pushups, switch hands every rep

If I had 5 more minutes, I could come up with a few more.
good stuff iron!

Tron
10-30-09, 12:21 am
Lee Haney did all kinds of bodyweight stuff... Can't be too wrong then, can it?