PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid issues?

Jay
05-11-10, 2:26 am
Well that kinda sucks. My doctor says my thyroid is borderline and I may have to go on Synthroid. Its weird I have no simptoms, but my tsh? levels I believe were on the upper limit of normal. Ive done a search on here and even the net regarding thyroid and supplements. I havent really located anything good, and the limited info I've found is no help. Im just about ready to start back with my shock therapy. Just wondering if any fellow animals have had to deal with a thyroid issue, and how they incorporate their supplements into it, etc.

C.Coronato
05-11-10, 9:33 am
If you are going to be on meds, i would check with the Doc before mixing any supplements.

Jay
05-11-10, 11:48 am
yea.. i know I should. My doctor is VERY anti-supplement, even before this was an issue. He doesnt believe they are neccessary, whether it be BCAA or a protein shake- even told me that me ingesting over 100 grams of protein is wayy too much. That being said, I know he will tell me to not take any supp's.

Deltoid
05-11-10, 2:11 pm
I think every doctor is...I told mine I took only fish oil and vitamins to shut him up lol. If he knew I took what I took he'd probably try to talk me out of it. But he's not going to, he'd probably say animal pak is too much for a daily vitamin. But they don't understand.

Jay
05-11-10, 9:45 pm
Ya. I think maybe it's cuz they don't know enuff about it so they will just say not to take it. I've done countless research on the net. Even called the medication manufactuer! I may try a pharmacisit or my nutritionist. I wonder why docs are anti supps. Are u taking prescription meds at all?

Cellardweller
05-11-10, 11:32 pm
The US daily recommendation for protein intake for a male is like 55 grams. That's all a doctor knows. Honestly, I think doctors want you to sit on your ass and get fat. Its job security. Reciently all the wheelchairs and waiting room chairs at the hospital I work at have all been replaced with "doublewides." I've even been seeing more EMS stretchers with motorized hydrolic lifts. A pulmonologist walked past some smoking employees once and told them he wasn't going to lecture to them about stopping smoking because they're going to put his kids through college. Crazy.

Rhino I would try asking if there are any herbal or natural suppliments that you should avoid taking if put on those meds. Don't list what you're taking because they will just flat out tell you to stop out of ignorance. I would ask your doctors and the pharmacist. If they give you something to avoid, then try to find out if it's in anything you're taking.

Jay
05-12-10, 1:35 am
Cellar:
thank you. thats prob the best peice of advice ive found/recieved yet. I will definitly do that. Sounds like a great idea, lotta people say that pharmacists know more then doc's when it comes to interactions.

squattingtillipuke
05-12-10, 8:07 am
Been on it since January...can tell you this be prepared to see a spike in energy levels and to have a short term loss of weight, nothing major but I was mid 230's and I dropped 10lbs in a couple weeks while my body adjusted.

Also understand that you will need to have a quarterly test done to see if the dosage is regulating your thyroid properly, from there the doc could increase/decrease the dosage.

I was pretty open about my supps and oddly enough his words were, take pill when you first wake up...don't eat any fiber for 1.5hrs cuz it messes with the digestion of meds and don't take any vitamins for 4 hrs after you take this...it changed up my routine a little but you figure it out after a couple of weeks.

Good luck bro.

Mick

Deltoid
05-12-10, 4:00 pm
Ya. I think maybe it's cuz they don't know enuff about it so they will just say not to take it. I've done countless research on the net. Even called the medication manufactuer! I may try a pharmacisit or my nutritionist. I wonder why docs are anti supps. Are u taking prescription meds at all?

I'm not on any prescription meds, he just tells me not to do what I do lol

NJC_Manhattan
05-12-10, 7:15 pm
Its been said, but see a doctor. Actually see two and compare the opinions

PORTERHOUSE
05-12-10, 7:28 pm
I've been taking levothyroxine since I was 18. On basically any supplement can it says consult w. doctor if you have thyroid problems, but when you you will find out that the doctors don't know anything about supplements (like everyone else has been saying)

I take whatever I want now supplement wise, and have never had a problem. One thing I have learned about taking the pill is to set an alarm for 0300 am and take it and go back to sleep. It separates it enough from food and supplements, and I get my blood checked every 4-6 months, and my levels have been fine.

boyerfitness
05-12-10, 7:31 pm
Well that kinda sucks. My doctor says my thyroid is borderline and I may have to go on Synthroid. Its weird I have no simptoms, but my tsh? levels I believe were on the upper limit of normal. Ive done a search on here and even the net regarding thyroid and supplements. I havent really located anything good, and the limited info I've found is no help. Im just about ready to start back with my shock therapy. Just wondering if any fellow animals have had to deal with a thyroid issue, and how they incorporate their supplements into it, etc.

ok, got some advice for ya. I just had thyroid cancer and last June had my thyroid removed because of the tumor. I did not have any symptoms before I saw the tumor but my TSH was high which suggest hypothyroid. I am a personal trainer and did not gain any weight like most people do when the TSH level is elevated. Now since I have no thyroid I am on meds every day. I can tell you that you want the name brand if they put you on meds. The generic is made different every time and under the one generic name their are 4 different types they can give you so regulating the levels are impossible! So to answer your question I am on a lot of animal products as I am prepping for a bb show. I have had no problems with any of the supplements and my TSH levels are good. I take my meds at night with my Animal PM. Best of luck to you!

Jay
05-13-10, 3:30 am
Thanks to everyone for these responses, it has helped ease my mind so much.

squattingtillipuke: definitly would look forward to the increase in energy. There will be a generous span in time before taking the meds and
them my supplements.

NJC_Manhattan: I have thought about getting a second opinion. I do like my doctor, and honestly was thinking
that may piss him off , like i didnt trust him as I'd need a referal. But I will talk to him and see
what he has to say.

DBO3570: awesome advice, I work 3rd shift and like to get in a shake then meal before lifting and work so
an alarm clock, or even before bed would work out.

boyerfitness: very inspiring piece of information. The medication prescribed was synthroid. I only plan
on taking a preworkout/postworkout/protein supplement stack at this time and glad to here it has not caused
problems. good luck with your show!