PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back to Tank Status

mjsef88
05-11-10, 11:29 am
Getting Back to Tank Status

Well, I figure my old thread can go the way of the Dinosaur, the Dodo and the Leprechaun, seeing as the title is "Oh Hey, That Guy's Back"....

So, the title is self explanatory. I'm working on getting back to what I was last summer, but better. I'm a big guy at 6'2", and right now roughly 210-220lbs (been a while since I've stepped up on the scale). My body fat isn't out of control but it isn't where it should be, either. I have muscle definition, and my upper abs are visible (although not well defined). My family is a "big" family. Not necessarily overweight, just tall, broad and well...big.

I'm in the EMS Academy. I finished up my EMT-BASIC program and I'm starting PARAMEDIC in the fall. That's pretty much my life, and whatever time is left over is put in to family, friends, girlfriend and personal time (e.g. lifting).

If you've been following along in my old log, you'll already know that I've been on a big circuit kick. It's been working out pretty well. I don't always know when my next workout is going to come, so it's good to get it all in at once. I change up the weights, movements and order if I do consecutive days. Cardio is also big. Treadmill work. I actually LIKE doing cardio. It's a good break from life to just watch TV or read.

I've never liked setting goals for fitness. It's not a matter of a fear of failure, it's just, for me, been more of a "whatever happens, happens. Just give it hell". So, I'll throw out some broad goals: I want to lower my body fat while retaining muscle. I want to increase my cardiovascular endurance.

So, let's get down to plans and junk:

Food: ALOT, clean too. I'm not calorie counting. I'm trying to take in as much clean fuel as possible as often as possible. Occasionally I'll let myself splurge and eat some junk. But to be honest it just makes me feel sick now. I'm trying to take in as much lean meat as possible, but a lot of times I have to settle on a shake because I'm on the go. Ground Chuck cooked up loose with marinara sauce has been my staple for a while. I also put crushed red pepper on everything.

Supps: Pak, Universals Super Cuts and Universals Natural Sterol Complex. I'm using EAS (or something) protein powder. It came in a doggie bag at Costco. It tastes kind of chalk-like, but it mixes smooth and doesn't make me feel bloated after I chug a shake.

Training Schedule: I try to do 4-6 sessions of cardio, 30-60 minutes a week. The more the better. I try to get 3 circuit days in a week, too. Depending on the weight and reps I could do as little as 2 run throughs to as many as 7. Remember, this is a total body circuit, not just individualized body parts.

So let's get at it.

Mr. Dead
05-11-10, 11:32 am
1st!!!

Phil800101
05-11-10, 1:01 pm
You know I'm down for this...

mjsef88
05-11-10, 1:02 pm
1st!!!

You know I'm down for this...

Thanks guys! btw, Phil: I picked up a Taurus PT-25. Neat little pocket pistol.

----------------------
I just ordered some SuperCuts3, Ripped Fast and Natural Sterol Complex. Should be here by the end of the week. This should be enough to push me over the edge with shedding the last of the weight now.

Thrawn
05-11-10, 1:04 pm
On board!

Phil800101
05-11-10, 1:09 pm
Thanks guys! btw, Phil: I picked up a Taurus PT-25. Neat little pocket pistol.

----------------------
I just ordered some SuperCuts3, Ripped Fast and Natural Sterol Complex. Should be here by the end of the week. This should be enough to push me over the edge with shedding the last of the weight now.

Sweet!

mjsef88
05-12-10, 8:48 am
0500hrs
Cardio: Treadmill: 3.4mph, 5% incline, 35 minutes
Post Cardio Meal: 35g shake and a banana.

ghost
05-12-10, 9:14 am
hm... i guess i could sub to this one.

Phil800101
05-12-10, 12:53 pm
Fuck cardio.

Thrawn
05-12-10, 1:14 pm
Cardio at 5 a.m. is plain masochistic =)

G Diesel
05-12-10, 1:40 pm
Tank status is a state of being well worth pursuing... Go hard bro.

Peace, G

mjsef88
05-12-10, 1:45 pm
hm... i guess i could sub to this one.
Ha. You're too kind. In the first post where I say "I figure my old thread can go the way of the Dinosaur, the Dodo and the Leprechaun" I ALMOST put... Leprechaun...well, Rob IS still around. haha.

Fuck cardio.
Eh. Good TV/Anatomy notes make it go by quick.

Cardio at 5 a.m. is plain masochistic =)
Gotta fit it in sometime.

Tank status is a state of being well worth pursuing... Go hard bro.

Peace, G
Thanks G. Just trying to get it done day in and out.

mjsef88
05-12-10, 1:48 pm
Circuts: 25lbs Suicide. 25lb dumbells, 25 reps or failure. Move on. Did this circut 4 times.

Flat DB Pullover
DB Rows
Front Raises/Side Raises (one then the other)
DB Kickbacks (only went to 12-15 reps)
Spider Curls (only went to 12-15 reps)
Weightless Squats
Lunges

No core work today. I have tomorrow off of work, so that will be a big lifting/cardio day for me.

Thrawn
05-12-10, 3:22 pm
Alright, buddy! Looks like you covered almost all bases here.
Kill it tomorrow!

C.Coronato
05-12-10, 4:17 pm
Looking good in here my man for sure.

mjsef88
05-13-10, 12:43 pm
Alright, buddy! Looks like you covered almost all bases here.
Kill it tomorrow!

Looking good in here my man for sure.

Thanks guys!

------------------------------------------
Cardio: 45minutes on the Treadmill, 5.5% incline, 3.4mph

Last night to this morning I've been fighting a massive sinus thing. Right now I feel about 85%. I figure I'm going to take the rest of today off and rest up for the Detroit ABC tomorrow.

ghost
05-13-10, 12:49 pm
yeah, im gonna rest today and kill shit on COD in prep for tomorrow.

Nix0r
05-13-10, 9:58 pm
Lookin' good in here. Wish I could make the trip out, but things ended up taking a turn for the worst with my brother, so I really have to go back home tomorrow.

mjsef88
05-13-10, 10:01 pm
Lookin' good in here. Wish I could make the trip out, but things ended up taking a turn for the worst with my brother, so I really have to go back home tomorrow.

Brother, life happens. Family comes first. I just hope that everything is alright with you and yours.

Phil800101
05-14-10, 3:00 am
Sick work Matt! Hope you're feeling better.

Thrawn
05-14-10, 5:22 am
Hope you feel better soon, Matt!

mjsef88
05-14-10, 8:32 am
Sick work Matt! Hope you're feeling better.

Hope you feel better soon, Matt!

Thanks guys. I got a good night's sleep last night. Definately helped. The pressure has stopped in my sinuses, but my nose is still leaking and I'm coughing up a lung.

Still excited to give it hell at the ABC today!

Thrawn
05-14-10, 1:33 pm
GO FOR IT, big man!!!

Phil800101
05-14-10, 4:35 pm
Kill it today bro!

Wish I could be there...work...grr...

mjsef88
05-14-10, 11:12 pm
Holy Crap, we had an ABC.

Circut: 4 times through:
Flat DB Flys
DB Rows
Seated Shoulder Press
Hammer Curls
DB French Press

1st circut: 25lbs, 2nd circut: 35lbs, 3rd circut 45lbs, 4th circut: 25lbs.
Going up in weight each time smoked me fast.

Great times and steaks afterwards.

ghost
05-14-10, 11:21 pm
dont forget the bb mil presses i had you do.

mjsef88
05-14-10, 11:40 pm
dont forget the bb mil presses i had you do.

Very true. Good call broski.

Mil Presses: 95lbs x 10, 135lbsx10

I was a little nervous about 135lbs and figured it would go up for 2 or 3. I was really stunned at how fast I banged out the first 8. I think I can start pushing my shoulders a little bit harder now. The rehab is helping I guess.

Thrawn
05-15-10, 3:45 am
Great workout and glad to hear you all had a lot of fun!
Even better news that the shoulder took a nice beating without complaints!

mjsef88
05-15-10, 12:05 pm
Morning Cardio: 45 minutes, 3.4mph, 6%-3.5% incline.

I let myself sleep in today. Definately dragged ass. I like having an alarm to wake up. Eh, I needed the sleep.

Core circut:
Lying leg raises to hyperextension oblique side bends to decline bench crunches to hyperextensions.

Did that once and then got really hungry. I'll hit up my core a little bit harder when I sling some weights around later today.

Phil800101
05-15-10, 6:20 pm
Nice work Matt! Looks like you hit it nice and hard yesterday, and some solid work this AM.

deadlifts
05-15-10, 9:05 pm
Nice work!
Is there anyway you could post your recipie for the ground chuck with marinara? Sounds good to me
Thanks Brother

mjsef88
05-16-10, 2:05 am
Nice work!
Is there anyway you could post your recipie for the ground chuck with marinara? Sounds good to me
Thanks Brother

Uh....k?

-2lbs Ground Chuck. Cooked brown. Season to your liking. For me this is: Hot sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cilantro, paprika, crushed red peppers, parsley
-After it's cooked drain the fat.
-Dump in a can/jar of your favorite maranara sauce. My personal is Paul Newman's Tomato and Basil
-Stir
-Add in hefty handful of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
-Add in MORE crushed red pepper (I love it, you may not).
-Stir
-Portion out.

Throw it on pasta, in a hamburger bun or even over a chicken breast (really, it's awesome). Or just eat plain.

mjsef88
05-16-10, 12:34 pm
Cardio: 45minutes, Treadmill, 3.5mph, 4.5% icline

Have to skip weights today. I have my little brother's highschool graduation. At least I get to look stupid fly in a new black suit.

deadlifts
05-16-10, 11:49 pm
Uh....k?

-2lbs Ground Chuck. Cooked brown. Season to your liking. For me this is: Hot sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cilantro, paprika, crushed red peppers, parsley
-After it's cooked drain the fat.
-Dump in a can/jar of your favorite maranara sauce. My personal is Paul Newman's Tomato and Basil
-Stir
-Add in hefty handful of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
-Add in MORE crushed red pepper (I love it, you may not).
-Stir
-Portion out.

Throw it on pasta, in a hamburger bun or even over a chicken breast (really, it's awesome). Or just eat plain.

Thanks, I'm just starting to cook for myselfand im always looking for good new recipies

Phil800101
05-17-10, 12:00 am
There's that damn C word again...

Thrawn
05-17-10, 5:13 am
Good cardio session!
Hope you had fun at your brothers graduation!

mjsef88
05-17-10, 8:26 am
Thanks, I'm just starting to cook for myselfand im always looking for good new recipies
No worries.

There's that damn C word again...
remember, I've been brainwashed into LIKING it!!! It's an ailment.

Good cardio session!
Hope you had fun at your brothers graduation!
Tons of fun! Really nice ceremony and a nice dinner afterwards. I wish my girlfriend was there with me as arm candy. Damn highschool girls.

mjsef88
05-19-10, 9:24 am
Wow work has sucked recently. Tons of meetings and stress. I figure it's good that I'm in on it instead of an outsider. We've gone through two sets of layoffs so far, along with a shaky client base and people leaving (both clients and employees) leaving for a rival bank.

So:

Monday May 19th:
Cardio: 40 minutes, 3.7mph, 5% incline .... cut short, got called into work

Tuesday May 18th:
Cardio: 40 minutes, 3.7mph, 5% incline .... cut short, got called into work
Started to get through a circut when work called again. It's been fun times.

Now I'm here, Wednesday Morning, at work. I have school obligations today, so they can't call me back in for that! Ha!

I'm HOPING to get some lifting in today. I've been itching for it.

Thrawn
05-19-10, 9:32 am
Thats life for ya.
It might not have been perfect, but WORK was DONE. That counts, brother, every bit counts.

Got my fingers crossed for you, hope you can have a full session next time. AND for the shaky worksituation. I certainly know how that feels like and how it can affect you...

mjsef88
05-20-10, 8:25 pm
Not dead yet. Wednesday and Today have been mixes of cardio, meetings, oral board interviews for school, circut training and "office workouts thanks to google".

I've done everything from running outside, to pushups in a suit (sans jacket). Friday looks to be more of the same.

Protein powder, Natural Sterol Complex, coffee and water have literally been keeping me alive this week.

Tomorrow morning should be a bit slower. I hope to check in on all of you then. Right now I'm going to go shower, eat solid food and just kind of relax.

Mr. Dead
05-20-10, 8:28 pm
Oral... Board... what...??? *LOL*

Seriously, though, I know you're getting things done, when and where ya can....

Mr. Dead
05-20-10, 8:28 pm
Not dead yet. Wednesday and Today have been mixes of cardio, meetings, oral board interviews for school, circut training and "office workouts thanks to google".

I've done everything from running outside, to pushups in a suit (sans jacket). Friday looks to be more of the same.

Protein powder, Natural Sterol Complex, coffee and water have literally been keeping me alive this week.

Tomorrow morning should be a bit slower. I hope to check in on all of you then. Right now I'm going to go shower, eat solid food and just kind of relax.

*Courtesy bump...*

Thrawn
05-21-10, 5:57 am
Sounds like you got a lot on your plate, big man!
Such is life, it happens. Hope you can find some time for yourself and training soon, my friend.
By the way: saw some vids from Rob and his frontsquats. Man, you are TALL. I estimate you close to 1.90 meters? 6 foot and an inch or two?

mjsef88
05-21-10, 8:30 am
Sounds like you got a lot on your plate, big man!
Such is life, it happens. Hope you can find some time for yourself and training soon, my friend.
By the way: saw some vids from Rob and his frontsquats. Man, you are TALL. I estimate you close to 1.90 meters? 6 foot and an inch or two?

Oh I've been training.... just not really... conventional training. At least I'm able to get cardio in.

And I'm 6feet and like right inbetween 1-2 inches.

Thrawn
05-21-10, 8:42 am
Oh I've been training.... just not really... conventional training. At least I'm able to get cardio in.

And I'm 6feet and like right inbetween 1-2 inches.

You feeling good about the training, my friend? You feel like you are going in the right direction? Just curious.

Thats rather tall. I mean, we Dutch ppl are used to tall. We are on average the tallest ppl in the world. But i could see you tower above Rob in that vid =)

mjsef88
05-21-10, 8:52 am
You feeling good about the training, my friend? You feel like you are going in the right direction? Just curious.

One of the things I like about circut training is that it's total body. So even if I only get one session in that week, everything is still getting touched. As of this week's training, I'm trying to look at it as a positive. Yeah, at the office I can't really do alot, but pushups, situps, side bends, flutter kicks and bodyweight squats, when done enough times, still put up for a decent workout. It just goes to show that you really can get a workout in anywhere.

I have definately notice a change in my overall flexability. I can move more and with less pain than when I was doing Olympic Style.

I do miss certain things about previous styles of training, but I do like the direction I'm heading in. Now that the weather is getting nicer outside I'm hoping to do more alternative forms of cardio. Like what Nix0r is doing in his journey. Team sports, biking, etc.

Thrawn
05-21-10, 6:56 pm
Sounds like you found a good path for yourself, my friend. Keep at it, i got your back!

How would you rate this vid as far as the powerclean part goes? I suspect its pretty good. Still hard to learn from this IF this is good, cause this guy got GOOD speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PondyTERGwA&feature=related

Thrawn
05-21-10, 7:14 pm
or is this one better?
this is more looking like me doing cleans. not a lot of duck. although this persons technique appears, to me, to be near perfect too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXcS0Xp1aE

you know i trust upon you on a little guidance in the oly world, buddy =)

mjsef88
05-21-10, 7:57 pm
Sounds like you found a good path for yourself, my friend. Keep at it, i got your back!

How would you rate this vid as far as the powerclean part goes? I suspect its pretty good. Still hard to learn from this IF this is good, cause this guy got GOOD speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PondyTERGwA&feature=related

or is this one better?
this is more looking like me doing cleans. not a lot of duck. although this persons technique appears, to me, to be near perfect too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXcS0Xp1aE

you know i trust upon you on a little guidance in the oly world, buddy =)

I like the first one better, but both are top notch. The "duck" is more off a personal feel and if it feels comfortable or not. I liked going down into almost a full squat, but that was just me.

mjsef88
05-21-10, 8:01 pm
Got over to Ghost's house to train in the Dungeon. We trained upper extremities.

Shoulders:
BB Seated Presses: barx8, 135lbsx8,6,4
DB Seated Presses: 30lbsx8, 60lbsx7,6

Tris:
Close Grip Bench Press: Bar + 45lbs chains on each sidex6,6,6, 95lbs+ 45lbs chains on each side: 5, 5
Seated one arm db overhead extensions: 30lbs x 10 x 3 sets

Bis:
Curls: 30lbs x 10x2 sets
Chain Curls: 45lbs chainsx10 x 2 sets, 15lbs dbs + chains x 8 x 2 sets
Barbell curls: 45lbs chains x 10 x 2 sets, 25lbs + 45lbs chains x 4 x 2 sets

Played around with the bands Skiba gave Rob.

Done and done.

Nix0r
05-21-10, 9:58 pm
So much chain work... are you some kind of male dominatrix?

Thrawn
05-22-10, 6:28 am
I like the first one better, but both are top notch. The "duck" is more off a personal feel and if it feels comfortable or not. I liked going down into almost a full squat, but that was just me.

Thanks for checking them out for me. I personally had the idea that the first one was the best also, so that means i am getting an eye for it.
Could it be that the 'duck' is not that comfortable for me because i do not have the reaction time for it? I am the opposite of explosive. So when i pull up the bar, i dont even feel like i have the time to duck.
When i do it with an empty bar and slowly it works, but when i start speeding up, it starts to feel forced and untimable for me.
Doesnt matter tho. I love doing them so much i will keep them in my routine anyway.
I just wanna figure out the leg part. I do a full pull. In the vids i have noticed ppl appear to bounce it off their legs. Or snap it off their legs. I cant figure out what that is all about and how to perform / train that. Yet.

Got over to Ghost's house to train in the Dungeon. We trained upper extremities.

Shoulders:
BB Seated Presses: barx8, 135lbsx8,6,4
DB Seated Presses: 30lbsx8, 60lbsx7,6

Tris:
Close Grip Bench Press: Bar + 45lbs chains on each sidex6,6,6, 95lbs+ 45lbs chains on each side: 5, 5
Seated one arm db overhead extensions: 30lbs x 10 x 3 sets

Bis:
Curls: 30lbs x 10x2 sets
Chain Curls: 45lbs chainsx10 x 2 sets, 15lbs dbs + chains x 8 x 2 sets
Barbell curls: 45lbs chains x 10 x 2 sets, 25lbs + 45lbs chains x 4 x 2 sets

Played around with the bands Skiba gave Rob.

Done and done.

Good work, man! That will get some power in the upper body.

mjsef88
05-24-10, 8:28 pm
Monday:
Cardio: Treadmill: 45 minutes, 5.0% Incline, 3.4mph
Abs:
Decline Bench Crunches: 3x25
Oblique Bends: 2x15 each way
Reverse Crunches: 3x25

Tomorrow looks like it's shaping up to be a carbon copy of today if I'm lucky. Tomorrow is going to be insanely busy.

Thrawn
05-25-10, 4:47 am
Monday:
Abs:
Decline Bench Crunches: 3x25
Oblique Bends: 2x15 each way
Reverse Crunches: 3x25

Tomorrow looks like it's shaping up to be a carbon copy of today if I'm lucky. Tomorrow is going to be insanely busy.

You are still getting it done, Matt. Respect for that.

mjsef88
05-25-10, 11:42 am
Now off to work for a few hours. Then A&P II to dissect a heart!

mjsef88
05-25-10, 1:01 pm
Decided to "work from home" instead.

Circuit: 1st set: 10 reps, 2nd set 15 reps, 3rd set: 20 reps. Kept weight the same throughout.
Incline DB Bench
EZ Bar decline skulls
DB Lateral Raises
EZ Bar Rows
DB Curls

I've finally found the right mix of diet and supplementation timing. For the past 2 days I've been sweating bullets 3 minutes into every workout/cardio session.

Nix0r
05-25-10, 8:45 pm
Damn... I bet you must have been smoked after that.

Thrawn
05-26-10, 5:59 am
Nice work, Matt!!!
Glad you are finding your groove!

mjsef88
05-26-10, 3:27 pm
Wednesday:
Cardio: Treadmill: 3.4mph, 4.5% incline, 45 minutes.

No core work today. I'm trying to give my body a bit of a rest. Yesterday's circuit kind of kicked my ass. So this was my "rest" day.

mjsef88
05-27-10, 7:03 pm
Sitting in lab bored as all hell. I want to dissect a cow's heart damnit! And then make some sick joke about a Memorial Day bbq. But no, the hearts won't come in until NEXT week.

Today's regiment:
Pushups - varying distances: sets of 15
Flutter kicks - 45 seconds
Bodyweight squats- 15 A2G

Did 2x15 and a set of flutter kicks every time I got bored today. I was in the back storage room, so I hit the deck just about every 5-10 minutes.

mjsef88
05-30-10, 4:25 pm
Two sets of cardio:

Treadmill: 50 minutes, 3.4mph, 5.0% Incline
Treadmill: 40 minutes, 3.3mph, 4.0% incline

Did tons of yardwork/grunt work yesterday. Body is still smoked from that.

MRoush
05-30-10, 11:42 pm
Looking good in here Matt. One of these times I will be able to catch up with you guys and participate in an ABC session in the dungeon!

mjsef88
06-01-10, 9:44 am
AM cardio:
Treadmill: 40 minutes, 3.4mph, 4.0% incline

Dissecting a heart today after work!

Mr. Dead
06-01-10, 7:14 pm
What's up, in here...???

mjsef88
06-01-10, 9:54 pm
What's up, in here...???

A lot of cardio, pushups and flutter kicks. Little time for anything else. Advanced Anatomy and Physiology II is kicking my ass and I have a National Registry exam coming up on the 9th, along with a killer clinical schedule.

I head about the raw deal from your show. I would have shot somebody. Speaks volumes to you and how you kept your cool and just went with the flow. Good luck with the long bulk cycle. And hey, what's 12% anyways...nobody will notice if that bumps to like....16%, I mean hey, the pizza IS worth it.

Thrawn
06-02-10, 6:14 am
Keep at it, Matt!
Workout is workout, no matter how you cut it.

Mr. Dead
06-04-10, 6:48 pm
A lot of cardio, pushups and flutter kicks. Little time for anything else. Advanced Anatomy and Physiology II is kicking my ass and I have a National Registry exam coming up on the 9th, along with a killer clinical schedule.

I head about the raw deal from your show. I would have shot somebody. Speaks volumes to you and how you kept your cool and just went with the flow. Good luck with the long bulk cycle. And hey, what's 12% anyways...nobody will notice if that bumps to like....16%, I mean hey, the pizza IS worth it.

Ah, I remember the days of studying Aand P... Don't miss them, or clinicals... *LOL* Good luck with those, and the Registry Exam!!! And... Rage and dd2inxs would notice if it bumped to 16%... *LOL* dd2inxs is Rage's little snitch...

mjsef88
06-07-10, 5:04 pm
I am alive. I am insanely busy. I haven't killed anybody yet.

Days have been filled with cardio, pushups, flutter kicks and bodyweight squats. I have my National Registry Exam this Wednesday, and I'm taking a week off of work in virtually 2 weeks (17th-23rd), so work has been busy trying to get ahead of schedule.

Mr. Dead
06-07-10, 5:05 pm
I am alive. I am insanely busy. I haven't killed anybody yet.

Days have been filled with cardio, pushups, flutter kicks and bodyweight squats. I have my National Registry Exam this Wednesday, and I'm taking a week off of work in virtually 2 weeks (17th-23rd), so work has been busy trying to get ahead of schedule.

Keep them priorities... We'll still be here... Good luck with the Registry Exam!!!

Phil800101
06-08-10, 12:07 am
What's going on Matt? How is everything?

mjsef88
06-08-10, 10:50 am
Keep them priorities... We'll still be here... Good luck with the Registry Exam!!!

Thanks! I just want to get it going. Found out this morning I could find out in as little as 2 hours or as long as 2 months

What's going on Matt? How is everything?

busybusybusy. Are you going to make it up to the Detroit ABC with G Diesel?

Phil800101
06-08-10, 10:59 pm
Thanks! I just want to get it going. Found out this morning I could find out in as little as 2 hours or as long as 2 months

busybusybusy. Are you going to make it up to the Detroit ABC with G Diesel?

I hear ya...most likely not, damn work. Trying to get the day off, but so far no go.

Ever watch "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia?" I just watched the first four seasons on DVD, fucking amazing.

Also did some upgrade work on my Bushmaster...slapped on a Troy Industries rail system with some Magpul rail covers. Slipped in an accu-wedge as well. As Borat would say, "Very nice..."

mjsef88
06-09-10, 9:18 am
I hear ya...most likely not, damn work. Trying to get the day off, but so far no go.

Ever watch "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia?" I just watched the first four seasons on DVD, fucking amazing.

Also did some upgrade work on my Bushmaster...slapped on a Troy Industries rail system with some Magpul rail covers. Slipped in an accu-wedge as well. As Borat would say, "Very nice..."

Damn, good luck getting it off.

I love Always Sunny. I've seen every episode, but the series is what I'm currently watching now during cardio.

Link to the troy rail? I'm looking to upgrade my SPR upper to some rails. I want to go cheap, but at the same time the barrel is accurate enough to justify LaRue or KAC rails.
And yes, I agree with Borat, your boom stick sounds sexy!

Phil800101
06-09-10, 6:19 pm
Damn, good luck getting it off.

I love Always Sunny. I've seen every episode, but the series is what I'm currently watching now during cardio.

Link to the troy rail? I'm looking to upgrade my SPR upper to some rails. I want to go cheap, but at the same time the barrel is accurate enough to justify LaRue or KAC rails.
And yes, I agree with Borat, your boom stick sounds sexy!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Troy-Ind-Tactical-Free-Float-Carbine-p/troy%20mrf%20di.htm

Highly recommend that company as well, really fast shipping and free stickers!

Nice...let me know how it turns out.

mjsef88
06-09-10, 6:33 pm
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Troy-Ind-Tactical-Free-Float-Carbine-p/troy%20mrf%20di.htm

Highly recommend that company as well, really fast shipping and free stickers!

Nice...let me know how it turns out.

I LOVE BCM USA/Manufacturing. I got one of their BCM/VLTOR Gunfighter Charging Handles to T&E from them. I LOVE it. BravoCO has gotten a lot of my money over the past year.

I tend to order from:
AIMsurplus.com
Bravocompanyusa.com
LaRuetactical.com
and I hit up MidwayUSA for small parts/client builds occasionally.

Phil800101
06-10-10, 2:26 am
I LOVE BCM USA/Manufacturing. I got one of their BCM/VLTOR Gunfighter Charging Handles to T&E from them. I LOVE it. BravoCO has gotten a lot of my money over the past year.

I tend to order from:
AIMsurplus.com
Bravocompanyusa.com
LaRuetactical.com
and I hit up MidwayUSA for small parts/client builds occasionally.

Yup, big fan of MidwayUSA. I also like Cactus Tactical and Natchez Shooters Supply. I'll order from Cheaper Than Dirt if they're the only ones who have something in stock or if their price is way lower. I also order stuff from US Cavalry and/or OpsGear, but that's more for non-weapons gear.

mjsef88
06-13-10, 12:41 am
I'm alive. I passed my NREMT-B exam. Yep, I'm a legitimate EMT-B, I applied to the state for my license. That's just more of a "fill out the paperwork and play the waiting-game" thing.

Workouts and cardio have been there, I just haven't had the time to post them. The thing is: as soon as you get past one life goal, you suddenly get bogged down with the next one.

I'm alive and well, I promise.

Phil800101
06-13-10, 5:10 am
Congrats bro!

MRoush
06-13-10, 12:57 pm
Congratulations Matt! Thanks on the update.

Thrawn
06-14-10, 5:42 am
Congrats, buddy!!!

mjsef88
06-22-10, 7:41 pm
Alive, kind-of-ish. Busy with school and work and personal drama. Usual circuit lifting and cardio when I can.

Now, I'm going to go crash, hard, at 6:37pm.

Phil800101
06-23-10, 12:27 am
Alive, kind-of-ish. Busy with school and work and personal drama. Usual circuit lifting and cardio when I can.

Now, I'm going to go crash, hard, at 6:37pm.

Keep up the great work bro!

Mr. Dead
06-23-10, 12:29 am
Yo, Playa... You still tryin' ta be da Cardio Bunny...???

mjsef88
06-25-10, 12:09 pm
Yo, Playa... You still tryin' ta be da Cardio Bunny...???

absolutely. Actually, here's an update:

1.) Some doctor, somewhere in Michigan, signed off on my medical license. That's right, I'm actually allowed to practice emergency medicine in the state of Michigan. (I'm not working anywhere, so this doesn't matter anyways), I do get a kick out of saying "in my medical opinion". All in good fun.
2.) I have a MASSIVE upper respiratory infection. I'm on weapons grade/toxic levels of antibiotics, and they're doing their job well. Still, no excess excercise for 4 more days. I'm still going to be at the ABC, but I'll be the photographer. Kind of like Juggernaut but not as big or scarry (or good looking).

Anyways, yesterday was hell. I could barely stand up, let alone eat or drink anything. Today I'm ambulatory and can eat most foods, and drink water without wanting to cry from the pain (yep, that bad).

All in all, I'm feeling alot better than yesterday, but I still am dragging ass with other stuff. I just want to get back on the treadmill...uh...I mean hit the weights...

MRoush
06-25-10, 12:17 pm
Bummer than you are sick, but at least you will be there tomorrow! Looking forward to it.

If anyone wants videos taken I can bring my HD Sony Camcorder.

mjsef88
06-25-10, 12:20 pm
Bummer than you are sick, but at least you will be there tomorrow! Looking forward to it.

If anyone wants videos taken I can bring my HD Sony Camcorder.

You might as well bring it. I wont be lifting so I can keep it protected.

Phil800101
06-26-10, 1:40 am
Glad to hear you're feeling better bro! Hope you're all healed up soon.

Nix0r
06-27-10, 12:23 am
I wont be lifting

Hahahahaha. Liar. Way to puke after deadlifting 135. Pussy.

<3333333

ghost
06-27-10, 2:31 am

<3333333

dude, cmon. it was the antibiotics. haha.

mjsef88
06-27-10, 11:38 am

<3333333

dude, cmon. it was the antibiotics. haha.

I'm going to rape your dead corpses. hahaha great times this weekend, guys.

mjsef88
06-28-10, 6:43 pm
Weekend filled of fun:

Friday- Fencing and fun stuff at the Ghost household. Hung out with Nix0r and Poptarts. Had my heart broken by a schoolboy pizza girl crush. Ice Grill USA blew my mind, again, Major shout out to Greg and cast/crew. If this movie comes to your neighborhood, you MUST check it out. I loved it, and not just because I have a connection to the writer/director/producer. I have a t-shirt and I honestly plan on wearing it around town, not just thrown in a closet or drawer. Afterwords at home there was a lethal dosing of antibiotics and h2o.

Saturday- French Toast and coffee pre-ABC. Went into the ABC with EVERY intention of just being a photographer. The atmosphere, the people, the smell of chalk in the air. That's not happening. We've done INSANE work at past ABCs. I wasn't sitting it out, even if it was only deadlifting 135lbs x 5 with a Clean and Jerk Grip or doing shoulder rehab work. Everybody got in the action. Had the chance to talk to Greg about lifting and lifestyle. Off to a clinical shift. 7 hours in the ER. Got to practice IV therapy more. Pre-nursing student got to practice on me. Hey, she was cute enough. So cute I got caught up in watching her um....."talent" instead of her work. Missed her blowing out my cephalic vein in my hand. Big purple and blue mess. Hey, at least the ER is the place to get hurt. ER doc squared me right away. Right as rain today.

Sunday- Recovery. Felling better on the up and up. Had steak. Studied the lymphatic system for school. End of that.

Monday-Work and work. What else is new?
45 minutes of cardio: Treadmill: 4.5%incline, 3.3mph. 2 episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Circuit: 3 separate times.
Standing DB Shoulder Press
Incline DB Curls
Ranger Pushups
DB Rows
Flat DB Flys
A2G Bodyweight Squats.

Now I'm back to the books. Instructor moved an exam to next week instead of tomorrow. While most people are happy, I am not. Now I have to keep up on the old shit while trying to learn the new stuff he lectures on tomorrow.

Phil800101
06-29-10, 1:23 am
Sounds like an awesome weekend bro! So pissed I couldn't be there.

Nice work today! Looks pretty killer. Hope you're feeling all better soon, and good luck with the exam!

Thrawn
06-29-10, 4:49 am
Good to hear you had a ton of fun, buddy!

Still killing it on the circuits, outstanding! How is it working out for you? You feeling 'faster' and 'lighter' on your feet by now?

And good luck with the exam also!!!

Mr. Dead
06-30-10, 5:36 pm
Nice lookin'/busy weekend, there!!!

mjsef88
07-06-10, 9:54 am
Still alive and kicking. Fun 4th of July weekend. Workouts have been cardio and circuits. Busy two weeks coming up.

Thrawn
07-06-10, 10:28 am
Good to hear workouts are as planned!
Keep at it, buddy!

Mr. Dead
07-09-10, 7:51 pm
Still alive and kicking. Fun 4th of July weekend. Workouts have been cardio and circuits. Busy two weeks coming up.

Hope it's goin' good...

mjsef88
07-19-10, 9:37 pm
I am alive. I am well. I am getting stronger and leaner.

I hope you are all doing the same.

Nix0r
07-19-10, 9:41 pm
Sure am, circuit-man.

Mr. Dead
07-20-10, 6:54 pm
I am alive. I am well. I am getting stronger and leaner.

I hope you are all doing the same.

Just tryin' to get bigger and better...

mjsef88
08-03-10, 10:44 am
Not dead. Busy. Work. School. Usual.

Cardio and Circuits.

Phil800101
08-05-10, 2:00 pm
What's going on my man? How are things?

Mr. Dead
08-05-10, 2:02 pm
Not dead. Busy. Work. School. Usual.

Cardio and Circuits.

Uhm... That's almost like being dead... *LOL*

mjsef88
08-06-10, 8:37 am
What's going on my man? How are things?

Things are busy. Every day there's something new. Classes are over in two weeks and then I'm heading up north. I'm going backpacking for a week in the woods. Really looking forward to that.

In all of the chaos, I really can't complain though. I mean, life isn't bad, it's just busy.

How are things on your end?

Uhm... That's almost like being dead... *LOL*

Almost buddy, almost. I'm not asystole yet...

Thrawn
08-06-10, 8:48 am
Glad to hear things are okay, home slice!
Enjoy the hike, Matt! I know i love a good week of hiking.

mjsef88
08-08-10, 3:05 am
Glad to hear things are okay, home slice!
Enjoy the hike, Matt! I know i love a good week of hiking.

Things are OK.

The hike had to be canceled. My dad has a bunch going on with his teaching job. My brother started a new job and can't exactly ask for a week off of work, and I'm stuck in client meetings all week, along with personal meetings that make me feel all "warm and fuzzy" on the inside.

Unfortunately it had to get 86'd, but hey, at least I won't miss a week of being a Cardio Bunny (Mr. Dead I'm looking over at you).

Mr. Dead
08-08-10, 3:12 am
Almost buddy, almost. I'm not asystole yet...

Good to hear, or read, as it was... Keep on doing your thing!!!

Thrawn
08-08-10, 9:07 am
Things are OK.

The hike had to be canceled. My dad has a bunch going on with his teaching job. My brother started a new job and can't exactly ask for a week off of work, and I'm stuck in client meetings all week, along with personal meetings that make me feel all "warm and fuzzy" on the inside.

Unfortunately it had to get 86'd, but hey, at least I won't miss a week of being a Cardio Bunny (Mr. Dead I'm looking over at you).

Too bad, hiking is FUN. But thats life for ya.

Phil800101
08-09-10, 12:11 am
I hear ya bro. Sorry to hear that the hike got cancelled.

Things are going ok here, same old same old. Had some time off, vacations and what not, but now I'm back it.

mjsef88
08-10-10, 9:11 am
long story short:

I've been playing rugby with a group of guys in an informal league. Saturday I got my foot stepped on. At the time I thought "no biggie" and kept playing. When the match was over I went over to my truck to change back into regular shoes. I couldn't take my left cleat off. I decided to leave it on and drive home.

Got home, had to CUT the cleat off, black sock was red (didn't really know that was possible). Washed up and cleaned the wound. Broken toenail, deep laceration, purple and swelling...oh, and the knuckle of the toe was pointing to the left, a direction I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to go. Reset it myself and iced it. Blood flow and circulation was present after 10 minutes.

Still hurt this morning, so I went to go see my doc. Mind you, this is my "pinky" toe. Embarassing, right? So he orders an X-ray, does a quick physical on it, asks the usual questions. "Well, everything looks alright, except for the fracture. Blood flow looks good, swelling is going down. Here, wear this for two weeks" He hands me a BOOT, like, for a broken foot. I kind of look at him and laugh. He was pretty serious. He knows me, he knows my family.

I ask him again, "seriously?" ...."hell no, suck it up, pussy. Don't run for 3 days." He then wrote me a prescription for tampons and sent me out on my way. He was really more concerned with a lack of blood flow than the actual fracture.

I love my doctor. I thought you guys would get a kick out of that.

Thrawn
08-10-10, 9:21 am
Excellent story =))
Hope that foot heals up quick, Matt!!

Nix0r
08-10-10, 9:25 am
I didn't think Rob was a licensed physician...

Firedrake
08-10-10, 1:53 pm

LOL!

I love docs who "get it" -- my urologist, after yesterday's kidney procedure, told me to take it easy for 48 hours, because he knew I'd last no longer than that. I'm still thinking of getting on the bike for awhile this morning and getting some blood moving. I feel sluggish, and not just from the vicodin.

Hope the toe heals quickly and without much more pain -- and watch them ruggers -- far too many of them have bumper stickers that say "Give Blood-Play Rugby!"

Phil800101
08-11-10, 2:49 am
Lol, that was awesome!

ghost
08-11-10, 9:58 am

only for you. shhhhh.

Mr. Dead
08-26-10, 2:49 pm
Oh, Cardio Bunny... Where aaaaaaaaaare youuuuuuuu...??? *LOL* Hope all is going good, for ya...

mjsef88
08-27-10, 12:51 pm
Oh, Cardio Bunny... Where aaaaaaaaaare youuuuuuuu...??? *LOL* Hope all is going good, for ya...

I'm still alive. That's about all, though. Tons going on with school and work. I've been running, playing rugby, doing dumbbell circuits and hitting the heavy bag.

Hope all is well on your end.

Mr. Dead
08-27-10, 12:54 pm
I'm still alive. That's about all, though. Tons going on with school and work. I've been running, playing rugby, doing dumbbell circuits and hitting the heavy bag.

Hope all is well on your end.

Good to hear, that you're gettin' things done, on all fronts... I'm just tryin' to put some serious size on, until May...

Phil800101
09-06-10, 5:56 pm
How is everything my man?

mjsef88
09-08-10, 11:34 pm
How is everything my man?

Busy my brother, busy.

I just got done with my first day of class for the semester:
0900-1300: Paramedic I Lecture
1400-1600: Paramedic I Lab
1600-1700: Paramedic I Clinical Lecture
1930-2100: Diagnostic Pathophysiology

Luckily that's the only day of class for me (except for patho, that's on Monday's too)(and except outside clinicals, I think I need to pull something like 300 hours this semester in an ER/ambulance).

But other than that, I can't complain. No new toys added to the arsenal recently. You pick up anything new? How's life on your end?

mjsef88
09-16-10, 9:39 am
JUST downed a shake of Pro&Oats. The taste was AMAZING.

More to follow later, I'm out the door for a class. Needless to say, with my busy schedule and never knowing when the next meal is going to come (Paramedic student here stuck between a demanding class schedule and countless hours of clinicals in an ER/Rig)...this is definitely going to be a new staple in my diet.

Also, I'm doing well. I hope you all are, too.

Thrawn
09-16-10, 12:30 pm
Glad to hear it, Matt!

I hope one day you will have more time for training again =)
I miss our little rants about lifting and the life beyond =)

mjsef88
09-16-10, 1:27 pm
Glad to hear it, Matt!

I hope one day you will have more time for training again =)
I miss our little rants about lifting and the life beyond =)

Oh, I'm still training, I just don't have the time to log it in. I've been keeping up with cardio, core work, bodyweight exercises and dumbbell circuit training.

I try to get in:
4-5, 30-60 minute cardio sessions a week.
3-4 days of dumbbell circuits (3-5 sets, varying reps)

And whenever I can I do 20 pushups. Whenever I get bored studying or whatev.

Thrawn
09-16-10, 1:39 pm
Oh, I'm still training, I just don't have the time to log it in. I've been keeping up with cardio, core work, bodyweight exercises and dumbbell circuit training.

I try to get in:

Sounds good, brother!
Bodyweight exercises are always a good thing.
Maybe you can get some bands to train with too, they are a lot of fun and can add some nice resistance to your pushups, for example.

Mr. Dead
09-16-10, 1:39 pm

I try to get in:

Good to see that you're gettin' done, what ya can, in the time available...

mjsef88
09-16-10, 2:43 pm
Good to see that you're gettin' done, what ya can, in the time available...

I'm the Bugs Bunny of Cardio.

Mr. Dead
09-16-10, 3:00 pm
I'm the Bugs Bunny of Cardio.

Ehhhhhh... What's up, EMT...??? *LOL*

mjsef88
09-27-10, 4:03 pm
Well, I guess now is as good as any.....

About a month ago I went through a bad breakup. We ended on good terms, but it's never mutual, you know? Anyways I took it harder than she did. I was newly single, had a month before school started, and a somewhat flexible work schedule. I partied pretty hard with friends. I ate what really wasn't considered to be healthy. But hey, I was single, I deserved some time off.

Fast forward to now. I'm a paramedic student thrown into a very "sink or swim" Academy with a 13 credit course load. I have 300 clinical hours to fit into 3 month block. Work is still pretty flexible, but now it's insane when I'm there. The choice now is hang out with friends and party every night or hit the books for 4 hours. I think the answer is a no brainer.

Well, I'm just at the point now where I feel like I can kind of throw myself out into the dating waters. I'm not looking, but you never know when someone is going to pop up.

Anyways, enough of that. With all of these life changing factors, I needed to remind myself to go back to that one constant. Lifting. I've kept up with lightweight dumbbell circuits and cardio, but it's time to get back to Tank Status. Actually, Stud-Bomb Tank Status.

I'm going on a "cleanup diet". I'm not counting calories, but I'm eating clean. Cardio will be 45 minute segments. Lifting 4x a week. Stretching morning and nightly.

Supps: Universal's Ripped Fast, Universal's Natural Sterol Complex, Animal Pak, Universal's Pro&Oats (better than sex), Generic brand protein powder and joint support.

So, here's the plan:
Monday- Cardio / Chest / Lower Back
Tuesday- Cardio / Bis / Tris / Abs
Wednesday- 13 hour class day. SOL there
Thursday- Cardio / Legs / Shoulders
Friday- Cardio / Make Up Day
Saturday- Cardio / Make Up Day
Sunday- Off / Make Up Day

So let's get to it. Today's Work

Cardio: 45minutes, Treadmill, 3.5% incline, 3.4mph

Chest:
Incline DB Bench: 3 sets x 12, 10, 8 reps
Flat BB Bench: 3 sets x 12, 10, 8 reps

Lower Back:
Hyperextensions: 3 sets x 15

mjsef88
09-28-10, 6:22 pm
Cardio: Fail. Treadmill has a slippery belt. Spent 2 hours trying to adjust and fix it. Still uncertain if it's just dead or not. Internet has been giving me mixed signals based off of the age/use my machine has had.

Bis/Tris/Abs: In and out. Spent study time on fixing the treadmill. Fast paced, heavier weights, little rest, amazing pump.

V-Bar Pulldowns: 3 sets x 12, 10, 8
Incline Bench Seated Curls: 3 sets x 12, 10, 8
Decline Bench Skull Crushers: 3 sets x 12, 10, 8

Arms fried. Pump amazing.

Weighted Cable Crunches: 2 sets x 50

Tomorrow is a 13 hour class day so no lifting/cardio. Thursday if the weather is decent I'll just run outside, I guess.

Mr. Dead
09-28-10, 6:24 pm
Lookin' good, in here!!!

Thrawn
09-29-10, 6:06 pm
Alright brother!
Back into the iron!
Lets see you do this!!!

mjsef88
09-29-10, 10:59 pm
Study group: 0700-0900
Paramedic Lecture: 0900-1300 (EXAM somewhere in there)
Paramedic Lab: 1400-1600 (PRACTICAL somewhere in there)
Paramedic Clinical Lecture: 1600-1700 (EXAM)
Pathophysiology: 1930-2100 (EXAM)

And I found out I'm running 48 hours (4 12hr shifts) of clinicals between Thursday - Tuesday. Fun times!

Brain is fried. Looking forward to shoulders tomorrow.

mjsef88
09-30-10, 3:20 pm
Simple and effective:
Shoulders:
Seated DB Press: 3 sets x 12, 10, 8 reps
Seated DB Laterals: 3 sets x 12, 10, 8, 6, 8, 10, 12 reps
EZ Curl bar shrugs: 2 sets x 25

Mr. Dead
09-30-10, 3:24 pm
Looks like the brain and the muscles are gettin' some serious work!!! Great stuff!!!

Nix0r
09-30-10, 3:29 pm
Gotta love straightforward, no-BS, get to work lifting.

You planning on hitting any PRs in Clinical Time?

mjsef88
10-01-10, 3:24 pm
Back and Legs. Played more with movements than weights and sets. Just kind of making sure the form was still there

Box Squats
A2G Squats
Lunges
BB Rows
Cable rows (high and low)
Reverse grip shoulder press
Deads (need some rubber mats, was more concerned with cracking the floor while lowering the weight.)

Also, treadmill is dead. Debating between another treadmill or an elliptical. Budget/Base price is $500, give or take $150-200. Any ideas?

mjsef88
10-02-10, 2:10 pm
Core Day
I decided a few things. While my treadmill is dead and waiting on a replacement, I'm going to cut down on cardio (and stop taking Ripped Fast, too).

I ran around my block a few times. Maybe 25 minutes of a light jog. It reminded me of how much I hate running if I'm not chasing something (like I don't mind running while playing rugby).

Then I did some core circuits: 3 times through
Hypers: 30 reps
Flutter kicks: 30 seconds
High Cable Crunches: 30 reps
Decline bench crunches: 30 reps

Thrawn
10-03-10, 12:29 pm
Straight back into it.... nice, Matt!! Good to see you full of energy and motivation.

My opinion on the treadmill / elliptical:
Neither, i would buy a great rowing machine if i had a need / desire for cardio.
More work being done up top then just legs and core. And rowing is fun, at least, to me. I cannot get myself on a treadmill or eliptical. I will be tearing my few hairs out with boredom after minutes.

Phil800101
10-03-10, 5:43 pm
Looks good Matt! Solid work. How are ya?

mjsef88
10-04-10, 2:54 pm
Today was really simple: Chest
Flat BB Bench: 12, 12, 10, 10, 8
Incline DB Bench: 10, 10, 10, 8

No core work. Stood and worked 12 hours in the ER yesterday, going back tomorrow for another 12. FUN TIMES! when it's no you laying in the bed.

Mr. Dead
10-04-10, 2:55 pm
Nice!!! Simple, yet effective...

Mr. Dead
10-04-10, 2:55 pm
Today was really simple: Chest
Flat BB Bench: 12, 12, 10, 10, 8
Incline DB Bench: 10, 10, 10, 8

No core work. Stood and worked 12 hours in the ER yesterday, going back tomorrow for another 12. FUN TIMES! when it's no you laying in the bed.

*Courtesy Bump...*

MRoush
10-04-10, 2:59 pm
Glad to see you are getting back into lifting Matt. Bringing back some old (but good) memories yet?

Phil800101
10-05-10, 2:55 am
Straight and to the point, good stuff!

Thrawn
10-05-10, 7:11 am
Basic work. SOLID, Matt!!

mjsef88
10-07-10, 2:39 pm
Clinicals have been destroying my soul. That and classes.

Lifting so far this week has been stuck to basics: Pushups, situps, flutter kicks, bodyweight squats. I just got out of a meeting and I'm going to bed. 12/16 hour shifts are running me down.

Don't get me wrong, it's a blast. But now I really need to just crash, hard.

Firedrake
10-07-10, 2:44 pm
As long as you're in bed when you crash. <grin> Keep at it!

mjsef88
10-07-10, 5:30 pm
As long as you're in bed when you crash. <grin> Keep at it!

Yeah Jim! Does my truck bed count?

Thrawn
10-07-10, 5:54 pm
I commend you for sticking with it, buddy!
You are running a hard program here. Your studies demand a LOT from you and you still put in work. A lot of ppl would throw in the towel. You dont. RESPECT.

Keep at it, brother!

mjsef88
10-08-10, 7:43 am
I commend you for sticking with it, buddy!
You are running a hard program here. Your studies demand a LOT from you and you still put in work. A lot of ppl would throw in the towel. You dont. RESPECT.

Keep at it, brother!

Thanks brother from another animal mother! I'm taking a 1/2 day at work today to study and catch up on some missed stuff (mainly LIFTING, but my bosses don't need to know that).

Thrawn
10-08-10, 8:22 am
Thanks brother from another animal mother! I'm taking a 1/2 day at work today to study and catch up on some missed stuff (mainly LIFTING, but my bosses don't need to know that).

Thats my brother alright =)
I wont tell on you =) Lol!

MRoush
10-12-10, 3:11 pm
Keep pushing along Matt. It will be well worth it in the end.

mjsef88
10-21-10, 3:23 pm
Another check in. Still alive and kicking. School really is trying it's hardest to bury me. Midterms are next week. Pathophysiology is getting more and more involved and Medic is just well...it's Medic.

My schedule has been so FUBAR it's basically a 12-24 hour thing. Between school, study groups, work and clinicals and the rest of my life, it's a big adjustment. I mean like, I'll get all of the daily e-mails, put together a daily schedule and go "oh, I get 3-5 hours of free time". As busy as it sounds, I really am having a blast. Friends and family have all been very understanding that I'm "off the grid" and can't hang out as often.

Diet has been everything from really really clean to really really dirty. It just depends on really what's going on that day. If I'm in an ER on a clinical I can really only squeeze in one or two meals. But I bring them from home, so they're healthy. If I'm on the road in a MEDIC rig, it's really just what fast food is in the area. I try to get healthy food, but sometimes you just need a good, greasy burger.

Lifting has been a "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". I've gotten some great workouts in my basement, the hospital employee gyms and even in a parkinglot on an ambulance clinical just doing pushups and stretching. I have no set schedule for lifting now, so it's a "do as much as possible" type deal, where I usually end up working total body.

I bought an elliptical. I hate it. But I'm stuck with it, so I need to learn to love it. It's just a learning curve that I'll need to get used to from the treadmill.

Hope you all are kicking ass and taking names.

G Diesel
11-04-10, 10:50 am
Stay focused bro and get it in whatever way you can.

Good to see that you're taking care of business.

Peace, G

mjsef88
11-04-10, 11:15 am
Stay focused bro and get it in whatever way you can.

Good to see that you're taking care of business.

Peace, G

Thanks G. The work is hard and the hours are long but I really an having a blast in class. It just sucks when clinical hours get in the way of the ABC next weekend.

ghost
11-04-10, 11:19 am
dont let him lie, he is missing it bc there is a sale on purple surgical gloves.

mjsef88
11-04-10, 11:27 am
dont let him lie, he is missing it bc there is a sale on purple surgical gloves.

You have to admit, they make my eyes pop.

ghost
11-04-10, 11:28 am
hahahaha. as long as you stop going around asking to check everyones oil, we'll be alright.

mjsef88
11-04-10, 11:32 am
hahahaha. as long as you stop going around asking to check everyones oil, we'll be alright.

why do you have to try to change who I am?

ghost
11-04-10, 11:35 am
why do you have to try to change who I am?

well if you put it that way, fine.

NJC_Manhattan
11-04-10, 12:31 pm
How's everything going in here?

Mr. Dead
12-31-10, 4:03 pm
Oh... Cardio Bunny... Where arrrrre youuuuu...??? *LOL* Sorry, couldn't resist... I hope you and yours have an awesome New Year...!!!

mjsef88
01-10-11, 10:40 pm
Still alive. Seems like most of my recent posts have been something like that.

I had a great Christmas/New Years. I hope you guys did too. Santa brought me Animal Pak and some protein powder (great for pre-mixed "lunches" in the back of an ambulance). Work has been, well, non-existent. My department did some downsizing this past quarter. My area is now running at 1/4 strength - without me and a majority of my bosses/chain-of-command. It sucks getting laid off, but I feel like I'm getting out of the proverbial sinking ship at just the right time. I'm really not that bummed out about it. Like at all. I have a few job prospects, but right now I'm just taking some time getting back to getting adjusted to the Paramedic Academy mode of studying/learning. Speaking of: Last semester went great. I passed my Specialist exams (on the school level, not the National level - we can't test for that until after this semester). My two study partners and I graduated the top three in the Academy (I was #3). The Paramedic stuff looks like it's going to be hard, but I've got a great group that I'm working with as far as classmates go. My Academy is apparently one of (if not THE) best in the nation. I had my first day of Pharmacology today and already have a stack of drugs that I have to have memorized inside and out. If I can make it through this semester of Pharmacology/Cardiology then I'm looking at really, really, really awesome Internship prospects to finish up my schooling/Paramedic Academy in the summer.

I haven't been lifting/cardio-ing as much. Family was in town, then friends from out of town came in/moved home. I did do some dumbbell work today. That's the one thing I need to get back into - lifting/cardio. I've noticed that I've gained a little bit of the "EMS Spread"/Holiday weight. Nothing too extreme, and hey, it's heavy sweater season anyways. I just think that lifting/cardio is going to be a major release for me this semester. I feel a little bit sore (and hey, those pink rubber coated dumbbells are HEAVY!).

For about four months I've been playing Rugby. It's just starting back up (indoor league). It's a semi-formal league. It's also a killer workout. Constant running. If there was no hitting then it'd totally suck. Due to school I'm not able to commit fully, just as a sub (still gets me at least 35 minutes minimum playing time). I've gotten dinged up and may have re-pissed off some old injuries, but all in all it's still too much damned fun to quit.

Now for the bad news: with my school and spring break, going to the Arnold is looking really fucking slim. Between clinicals and possibly a new job with much less flexible scheduling, it's feeling like a long shot right now. I'm still seeing what I can do. One plan right now is driving separate on Friday and then leaving Saturday morning.

So yeah: If you managed to read down to this point: I'm doing good. Things are looking awesome as usual. Hope you crazy bastards are still kicking it hardcore.

Oh, and I've been brewing my own beer. Beer is anabolic, right?

Thrawn
01-11-11, 4:25 pm
Glad to hear you are doing GOOD and living life as it comes around your corner, buddy!
Congrats on doing so well with your studies, that is AWESOME.
Rugby is great fun; we used to do it sometimes at school too. I always had a blast. I was an accident not waiting, but GOING to happen with it everytime, but hell i loved every (literally bloody in my case) second of it.

Keep us updated every now and then, Matt! Keep on keeping on, my friend.

Firedrake
01-13-11, 10:45 pm
Glad to hear you're doing good -- we'll miss you if you don't make the Arnold, but Real Life (TM) comes first, unfortunately. I lucky in that I now have a job that allows me to set my own schedule.

Great work on the Academy!

ghost
01-14-11, 7:38 am
HE LIVES! let me know about the arnold asap man.

mjsef88
01-14-11, 7:38 pm
HE LIVES! let me know about the arnold asap man.

For logistics and all that, count me OUT. I'm trying to find time to still come down, but I'll find my own way down.

MRoush
01-19-11, 11:44 pm
Nice to see you are still fighting the good fight Matt!

mjsef88
04-28-11, 8:19 pm
It's been all too long since I've checked in here:

Life has been a controlled chaos - Paramedic School is winding down. I just took my Cardiology final exam/Practical. I ended up with a B in the class. Funny how one LITTLE mistake in the Practical sends you from an A- to a FLAT B. Oh, well, such is life and I' passed. It's a mistake I'll never forget, and luckily for a future patient, won't make again. I'm not completely out of the woods, yet. I still have a Pharmacology exam on Monday. That means 65 drugs need to be memorized in and out, scenarios need to be dominated and practicals need to be perfect.Right now I'm sitting with a 85%, so I'm not overly worried, but there's still room for improvement.

Anyways, between the string of clincals, schooling and "free time" (read: sleeping), there hasn't been much to talk about. Really, Paramedic School is life. Clincals are life. I can't remember the last time my alarm wasn't set for 0500hrs. Such is life, roll with it now, I guess.

Anyways, as far as my lifting life is concerned, workouts are sporadic and inconsistent. That doesn't mean that I'm lax, I'm just restricted in scheduling. I'm lucky that I have two partners, brothers really, in the Academy who like to lift. We've hit the College gym up more than a few times. Workouts have been balls to the wall, because you never know the next day you'll have off to train again. Rugby helps, too. I've mainly been playing the 8-man, so I've kept up on my cardio. Tons of running and sprinting, along with physically throwing another human being to the ground (Olympic Weightlifting, I'll forever love you for the skills you've given me).

Anyways, I missed the Arnold this year. I was severely bummed about it. I did, however, get an opportunity that I just couldn't pass up on. I got a mini-internship with PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) and a few extra Operating Room shifts to get extra practice on live practice Intubations. I saw the various facebook pics from the Arnold, and, really, I wish I was there.

I feel like I've been living in the back of an ambulance for the past 3 months. You get as much physical activity as you can in, when you can. 20 push-ups here or there, anything to break the monotony from call-to-call. I really love what I'm doing, I really do. I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I wouldn't change places with anybody to get out of it. Hopefully just a few more weeks and then Paramedic School will be done.

I really do miss you all, and hope everything is going insanely well with all of you. Internet time (along with every other sort of free time) has been limited, so, sorry about that.

All the best,
-Matt

Phil800101
04-28-11, 11:31 pm
Sounds good bro, keep up the great work! You've got your priorities straight, and that is what matters.

You were definitely missed at the Arnold this year. Good times. Hopefully you can make it next year, each year gets better and better, and I'm sure it will be no different for 2012.

Nix0r
04-29-11, 1:42 am
:(

I love you.