PDA

View Full Version : Commonly underdeveloped

Legacy
05-11-10, 4:42 pm
Seems like when a lot of people train calves, they only train their gastrocs and soleus'. A lot of people tend to forget to train their tibialis anterior aka the front of the leg. I know a lot of gyms don't have machines specifically for them, so I thought I would share the way I train my tibialis so we all can somehow train an important part of the calf that is often overlooked.

I use a standing hamstring curl machine. I set the bottom pad as close as I can to the floor and then I sit on the floor. (Basically if you were doing standing hamstring curls, you would fall backwards and sit on the floor with your heels on the ground and the balls of your feet touching the pad instead of your heels like during a standing curl.) I then extend my toes and put them directly under the pad and curl my foot up to perform a rep, just like doing reverse toe raises. The pad ball will allow you to curl your toes up.

Full squeeze and a full stretch. I find this work really good because you can add weight for resistance and it puts your body in a good position.

Jay
05-12-10, 1:41 am
that is very interesting. So this works the front area of the calves? how many sets do you do
?

prowrestler
05-12-10, 2:21 am
sitdown on a bench, place a 25lb plate on ur foot and curl it up. stabalize weight with a free hand. try placing ur working leg a bit ahead to enlarge the ROM

Legacy
05-12-10, 12:10 pm
that is very interesting. So this works the front area of the calves? how many sets do you do
?

Yes it works the front part of your calf. I usually do about 6-8 sets depending on if my legs are sore or not. Ill do a superset with it though, seated calf raise superset with reverse toe raises, 7 sets 10-25 reps. Usually do this between 2-3 times per week.

Prowrestler has a good idea with sitting on a bench and using a 25lb plate as well, different angle. I just do mine how I explained above so I can stabilize myself by sitting on the ground. Good thinking though prowrestler, ill try that another day to get a diff angle

prowrestler
05-12-10, 1:31 pm
Yes it works the front part of your calf. I usually do about 6-8 sets depending on if my legs are sore or not. Ill do a superset with it though, seated calf raise superset with reverse toe raises, 7 sets 10-25 reps. Usually do this between 2-3 times per week.

Prowrestler has a good idea with sitting on a bench and using a 25lb plate as well, different angle. I just do mine how I explained above so I can stabilize myself by sitting on the ground. Good thinking though prowrestler, ill try that another day to get a diff angle

put a towel on ur foot if its painfull