PDA

View Full Version : Mental Block

UnknownGuardian
05-12-10, 5:45 am
I was deadlifting the other day again. And was at the same weight that I was last week. I thought that for sure this time I would surpass the mental block that I had the week before. I know that I can lift it but for some reason when I try lifting the weight my form goes to hel and I cant lift it. Even my lifting partner says that he doesnt know why it happens. He says that I lift with perfect form but when it comes to this weight I syke myself out. What can I do?

TigerAce01
05-12-10, 9:24 am
Try doing the same weight with a rack pull. Almost the same idea of benching with a board, you'll know exactly how the weight feels, and your mind will tell your body that you've lifted the weight before once you decide to go back to a standard deadlift off the floor.

-Ace

Legacy
05-12-10, 12:19 pm
I was deadlifting the other day again. And was at the same weight that I was last week. I thought that for sure this time I would surpass the mental block that I had the week before. I know that I can lift it but for some reason when I try lifting the weight my form goes to hel and I cant lift it. Even my lifting partner says that he doesnt know why it happens. He says that I lift with perfect form but when it comes to this weight I syke myself out. What can I do?

Check yourself bro, it might not be a mental block, it might just be that you can't do the weight (no disrespect). Deadlifting is the one exercise where cheating can really hurt you if you don't know what your doing. If your form is getting sloppy when you hit that certain weight try working up to that weight, start maybe 20 lbs off from it and then go to 15, 10, 5, work in small increments with perfect form on those early sets and try to maintain that form when you get to your sticking set.

hokuto_shinken
05-13-10, 1:06 pm
i had the same problem last week...during the first attempt, i thought that i couldn't lift it because i am thinking about the weight and second guessing myself. so i walked away and cleared my head. came back and tried it again, this time i noticed that my legs were shaking...

so legacy is right, it might not be a mental block as much as your body is just not ready to lift that weight. yet.

Fricano
05-13-10, 8:21 pm
You either lift it or you dont, period. I dont think a "mental block" would stop your muscles from working. Either your strong enough or your not. What did you want to hear? You got to work on your strength.

fenix237
05-15-10, 4:55 am
all good points made here! but i'll add that you definately need a power mindset when trying to break some PR's. if you believe you can get it, that goes a long ways toward suceeding.
when going on an all out on a program to build up your maxes, be sure to pay particular attention to diet with plenty of sleep- food makes a huge difference

V Man
05-15-10, 12:45 pm
Also if your trying to pull a big deadlift, make sure your throughly warmed up and ready to go, dont start your workout with them with cold muscles, do something that gets a bit of a sweat on first, maybe 5 minutes rowing to get your back and your hamstrings primed and ready to go

intoodeep25
05-17-10, 12:00 am
if you have even a shred of doubt that it wont go up, it probably wont. youve gotta go in like a freight train, thinking over and over that the ONLY option is for you to pick that weight up. before i go to bed, if i train the next day, i map out my plan, and i visualize everything. i know that the lifts are going up. become mentally strong, and the physical will follow

UnknownGuardian
05-17-10, 7:34 am
Im going be doing deadlifts tomorrow. All let you guys know how it goes....

intoodeep25
05-17-10, 11:15 am
it better only go one way...up

msktyshha
05-17-10, 12:54 pm
there can be a mental block, shit happens to me too. On the bench, I lift a weight that I did reps for last week, but today i fucking jammed on it in the middle of my set. i noticed last week i was more hyped up, while today I was calm. That's why most guys psyche themselves up before a big lift, all that light weight baby shit works. Post up some of your psyching up techniques, and I will highly appreciate if the big boys would share there psyching up techniques....pleaseeeeeeeee I really wanna know how you psyche yourself up

msktyshha
05-17-10, 12:56 pm
if you have even a shred of doubt that it wont go up, it probably wont. youve gotta go in like a freight train, thinking over and over that the ONLY option is for you to pick that weight up. before i go to bed, if i train the next day, i map out my plan, and i visualize everything. i know that the lifts are going up. become mentally strong, and the physical will follow

fuckin true, that's my belief, the mind has a lot more to offer than we think during our lifts.

J-Dawg
05-17-10, 1:16 pm
Im going be doing deadlifts tomorrow. All let you guys know how it goes....

Let us know how it goes bro. Some days it just clicks in. You might mess up a bunch of times previously but sometimes you check yourself and it all comes together. Whenever I mess up a lift, I either lay off of it for awhile or go back to lighter form and keep perfecting the form. It may be mental, it may be physical. I think you can perfect form (the physical) so that the mental aspect becomes stronger. Practice makes perfect as they say.

Beowulf
05-17-10, 1:45 pm
Mental and physical go hand in hand. How many times have we felt crappy but managed a great lift? Or vice versa, how often have we felt good, but turned out mediocre lifts? Having the right mentality can translate into having big lifts.

Kain81
05-17-10, 1:58 pm
had trouble squatting 405lbs for the longest time simply because seeing the FOUR WHEELS up there threw me. My squat was at a very clean 385lbs x 5 before, so i knew i could move the four wheels.

my w/o partner put it on there using smaller weight increments, didn't tell me, and i moved it 2 times. (not the safest way, but once i was under it, i knew it was fucking go time) not saying this is what you need to do, but def agreeing mental blocks can make you your own worst enemy.

Beowulf
05-17-10, 1:59 pm
had trouble squatting 405lbs for the longest time simply because seeing the FOUR WHEELS up there threw me. My squat was at a very clean 385lbs x 5 before, so i knew i could move the four wheels.

my w/o partner put it on there using smaller weight increments, didn't tell me, and i moved it 2 times. (not the safest way, but once i was under it, i knew it was fucking go time) not saying this is what you need to do, but def agreeing mental blocks can make you your own worst enemy.

Mind over matter.

tdubs
05-17-10, 2:50 pm
For me, it helps to stay away from the platform until I'm mentally ready to lift. After my penultimate set I relax for a minute, then start pacing around a bit as I come to the end of the rest period. I chalk my hands, tighten my belt, walk up to the bar, few deep breaths and let 'er rip.

fenix237
05-17-10, 4:02 pm
all the meals, training, preparation etc.. as a whole is what gives you the confidence required- you cannot just flip a switch on at that moment and expect to break some PR's

71bbo455
05-17-10, 7:35 pm
A lot of good advice from all the brothers. What I used to do was close my eyes and have my training partner pick my weight for me. Just don't look at it and if it is a mental block it will move. If it doesn't move then it's physical. You have to really trust your partner though. He can't put some stupid weight on that could hurt you. Good luck.

UnknownGuardian
05-18-10, 11:02 pm
As soon as my work was coming to the end I could feel myself getting syked up for this lift. I kept telling myself "I'm getting this shit today". And the fact that I just got my new shoes that I bought specifcally for this lift and squat helped my hype even more. I got to the gym pump that music and started the warm up. Not even thing about how close I was to my target weight I kept lifting. And then realized "DAMN, I JUST LIFTED IT". Having such an adrenaline rush and endorphins running I paked on some more plates and ended going 70 pounds over my max and 30 pounds over my target weight. Damn it feels good. Thanks for all the advice. Oh and if I take long to answer it because I am deployed. Thanks for everthing again.

msktyshha
05-18-10, 11:05 pm
told ya bro there's something about psychin up. Thing is many times we underestimate ourselves, and this psychin up takes us to our true heights bro .......keep it up

tdubs
05-19-10, 2:56 am
As soon as my work was coming to the end I could feel myself getting syked up for this lift. I kept telling myself "I'm getting this shit today". And the fact that I just got my new shoes that I bought specifcally for this lift and squat helped my hype even more. I got to the gym pump that music and started the warm up. Not even thing about how close I was to my target weight I kept lifting. And then realized "DAMN, I JUST LIFTED IT". Having such an adrenaline rush and endorphins running I paked on some more plates and ended going 70 pounds over my max and 30 pounds over my target weight. Damn it feels good. Thanks for all the advice. Oh and if I take long to answer it because I am deployed. Thanks for everthing again.

nice one mate, that's the way to put in work!

stay safe.

theharjmann
05-20-10, 9:54 am

well done

just remember...the second you doubt that you might not be able to lift the weight, you will not be able to lift it.