PDA

View Full Version : Shitty barbells

deadlifts
05-12-10, 5:08 pm
I have a decent amount of equipment in my house so I lift there. The barbells I have are absolute crap though and I am looking to get a decent one when I have the funds. In the meantime, is there anything I can do to not get metal splinters in my hands? Can I sand the bars with a really fine grit sand paper without fucking up the knurling?
Thanks Brothers

SailinScotty
05-12-10, 5:18 pm
Not sure if you could sand them down but what about wearing gloves for now. Maybe put duct tape around it our even tape a towel around the areas.

fenix237
05-12-10, 5:49 pm
I can do to not get metal splinters in my hands?

how would you get metal splinters?

Legacy
05-12-10, 6:49 pm
I have a decent amount of equipment in my house so I lift there. The barbells I have are absolute crap though and I am looking to get a decent one when I have the funds. In the meantime, is there anything I can do to not get metal splinters in my hands? Can I sand the bars with a really fine grit sand paper without fucking up the knurling?
Thanks Brothers

I see what your saying bro, you can shave metal down, but I wouldn't suggest it because its a long process. I would say put a few passes of duct tape around the bar like sailinscotty said. Not only will it fix your problem, but you could also make it one of those thick bars, if you like those kind.

Avominion
05-12-10, 9:05 pm
I like to have a wrap with me at the gym that I can wrap around the bar and pull it tight. I find it covers quite an area and would probably be a little easier on your hands. The duct tape idea seems like a good one too. Good luck man.

fenix237
05-13-10, 9:41 am
i'm just guessing, but it seems duct tape could start disintegrating after a few uses and turn into a mess. not only that, but it's slippery (especially with chalk) maybe consider some type of cloth tape. i would go to a hardware store and look around as there are all kinds of tape

i'm still curious how you can get splinters from a steel bar- am i missing something??

ghost
05-13-10, 10:00 am
metal shavings in your hand wont hurt you. man up. :)

C.Coronato
05-13-10, 10:12 am
i'm just guessing, but it seems duct tape could start disintegrating after a few uses and turn into a mess. not only that, but it's slippery (especially with chalk) maybe consider some type of cloth tape. i would go to a hardware store and look around as there are all kinds of tape

i'm still curious how you can get splinters from a steel bar- am i missing something??

I actually have found that when someone does have them done, which some one did on the pins in the squat rack that i would constantly get metal splinters. I dont know why they did it nor do i know why someone would do it on a regular bar.

FITGYM
05-13-10, 11:02 am
Those metal splinters are part of a finish that comes from the factory just to protect from rust. Over time from constant friction from use will loosen the bond on the metal. Get yourself a fine wire brush or a good drill attachable grinding wheel and take it off. The downside is only rust on the bar over time. If this happens than clean it again.

and

If your bar happens to bend from heavy weights than find an old school machine shop and they will straighten it for between 25 and 50 bucks

deadlifts
05-15-10, 8:11 pm
Thanks for the tips brothers,
I dont think I'm gonna tape the bar, I don't really like the feel that gives. Ill try what FITGYM said and if that doesnt give me a solution ill just wait until I can get a decent barbell and man up like ghost said to haha.
Thanks again

P.s. Legacy- I made a thick bar last summer with the same kind of barbell and some pvc, its definitely an awesome training tool

jeff00z28
05-15-10, 8:19 pm
id check craigslist bro. i got an olympic barbell for 30$ a long time ago when i was in this gay crossfit phase lol

deadlifts
05-16-10, 1:42 pm
id check craigslist bro. i got an olympic barbell for 30$ a long time ago when i was in this gay crossfit phase lol

Haha the old crossfit phase. Thats a good call, I'll be sure to keep an eye on that. Thanks