PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Heavy Weights ?

Singh
05-14-10, 7:04 am
Hapning brothers, bascailly on my shoulders, arms & back I'm a decent lifter . . Only been banging gym three months now !! But see my chest is letting me down BIGTIME and it's getting to me, my bench is really weak compared to other things I can lift . .

Is there any tips / technuiques behind lifting big weight ?

V Man
05-14-10, 8:06 am
Its a gradual progression to add weight on any particular lift. If whatever you are lifting now for any particular exercise is as much as you can with good form, then thats great.

Lets say you lift 10kgs per side on bench press. and you can do this for 10 reps max. OK, Then next work out aim for 12.
Next week aim for 13/14
Then next week aim for 15.

Once you can do 15 reps for 3 or 4 sets with a weight, simply add a small plate to the bar (2.5kgs or even a 1Kg if they have them at your gym) and go back to 10 reps. Work your way up to 15 then add more weight. obviously if you are doing dumbell presses use a heavier dumbell, or if you are using a machine put the pin down the stack 1 slab.

Add more reps and weight S-L-O-W-L-Y. Fuck anyone else in the gym and concentrate on using the correct weight for YOU where your at right now. your strength and size will come in time if you train hard and eat well 100% guaranteed

Sounds simple and it is, but people loose sight of what to do when you're really keen to progress and get stronger - and you will, but Its just going to take some time to get there.

Razor
05-14-10, 8:45 am
You have to realize in this game that eveything is going to take time. Patience can be your friend and enemy meaning it's a plus to have it, a negative to not. Build yourself up to a level where your last set is like 4-5 reps meaning a pretty heavier than normal set. That was my thinking and my weight and strength skyrocketed.

intoodeep25
05-14-10, 10:53 am
do you have a plan when you train for each session? do you have a goal that needs to be accomplished? do you lay out your training so that you know you'll be making progress?

plan,perform,prevail...

msktyshha
05-15-10, 8:06 am
Hapning brothers, bascailly on my shoulders, arms & back I'm a decent lifter . . Only been banging gym three months now !! But see my chest is letting me down BIGTIME and it's getting to me, my bench is really weak compared to other things I can lift . .

Is there any tips / technuiques behind lifting big weight ?

get your form straight on your bench first, really involve your chest and not shoulders. Once you properly know how to involve your chest into bench press then you can easily progress in weight also.

C.Coronato
05-17-10, 9:43 am
Chest defiantly takes some time, as with everything else .. What is your chest training like now? Do you flat bench first? Switch that up once and a while for starters .. do Incline first and Flat last .. My flag grew alot from that alone.

msktyshha
05-17-10, 12:49 pm
Chest defiantly takes some time, as with everything else .. What is your chest training like now? Do you flat bench first? Switch that up once and a while for starters .. do Incline first and Flat last .. My flag grew alot from that alone.

yup one thing is for sure atleast for me it is, incline can put mass on your upper chest area, which gives your chest a fuller and bigger look, so it's a very good idea to do inclines before flat.

Legacy
05-17-10, 1:10 pm
If I am not mistaken, you goal is to add strength correct, and not necessarily mass?

A lot of strength is about form man. Getting your proper form down like 5 point placement, scap locks, grip, tricep and delt involvement and go from there and you will see your strength start to increase. For my bench days I always start with flat and slowly progress in weight before I add more lbs. I usually do about 7 sets at a certain percentage of my max. You say you have good shoulders and arms, therefore if they are as strong as you say, your pushing power should be pretty good once you get your form down. Remember a lot of it is technique, bench is a very dangerous exercise if you approach wrong. In the mean time, go lift some fuckin heavy weight.

Also, read this article by Vag, very good bench tips, supps, and diet tips. Read all 5 installments.

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=22

live2lift
05-17-10, 1:38 pm
If I am not mistaken, you goal is to add strength correct, and not necessarily mass?

A lot of strength is about form man. Getting your proper form down like 5 point placement, scap locks, grip, tricep and delt involvement and go from there and you will see your strength start to increase. For my bench days I always start with flat and slowly progress in weight before I add more lbs. I usually do about 7 sets at a certain percentage of my max. You say you have good shoulders and arms, therefore if they are as strong as you say, your pushing power should be pretty good once you get your form down. Remember a lot of it is technique, bench is a very dangerous exercise if you approach wrong. In the mean time, go lift some fuckin heavy weight.

Also, read this article by Vag, very good bench tips, supps, and diet tips. Read all 5 installments.

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=22

Something along this was exactly what I was going to say. Go on to youtube and look up some powerlifters and model your form after theirs. It may look weird at first with their lower backs arched and the placement of their feet, but trust me this shit works.