PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroidism, training and Animal products

Palewalker
05-15-10, 5:00 pm
I just finished searching through the forum and didn't find substancial information on training, dieting and supplementing when you have a condition like hypothyroidism.

So over the course of the next posts, starting with this one I hope to contribute and shed some light on this condition and how it affects a serious effort to tray and change your body when working out.

While it is a common medical condition, it can severly affect your results in terms of lean mass gain, bf loss and overall conditioning not to mention recovery.

Left untreated, the symptoms can get really really bad and I know since I went through them for a couple of years before being diagnosed with it. It rarely becomes a life threatening condition, with the likes of sever depression, heart failure and come.

So welcome and I hope you find the information posted here useful.

See you guys down the road.

C.Coronato
05-17-10, 9:57 am
This will certainly be enlightening .. I look forward to seeing how you do things day to day.

Palewalker
05-17-10, 11:37 am
Well thanks both for reading and I will try hard to be as objective as possible, and hey why not maybe even help the guys at Animal when seeing results in a guy with my condition.

Of course it is far from being a proper medical research but it is something! lol.

Anyway thanks and take care!!!

Palewalker
05-17-10, 12:56 pm
So here it goes:

This should serve as a formal introductory note so you can get to know the background of my current results. I appreciate those of you taking the time to read this, really thank you.

1. Started lifting around 10 years ago

2. 5'8 tall and merely 132 lbs, yes I was way too thin

3. Decided to get serious and started eating big and training at home hard, this went on for about 5 years. Training at home seriously limited my results since I had limited equipment.

4. By the end of those 5 years I gained around 11 lbs of muscle mass, not entirely lean, despite playing soccer at least twice a week AND running 4 days a wek for 25 minutes each time, body fat levels remained almost the same, also was not eating as clean as I should have, but this was probable the first sign of my body not really responding to training.

5. Went to live to Spain for almost two years from 2005 to 2007. First time ever training ina proper gym and even with a personal trainer, this helped greatly with results but reached a results plateau or barrier rather rapidly.

6. Gained about 9 lbs of muscle mass and added some nice tone and definition, more because of training in a gym and not so mucho because of my diet, supps and rest, those last three were rather lacking.

7. By the fall of 2006 I went down with severe flu like symptoms, depression which got rather bad at times, abnormally low libido, lack of appetite and a sometimes ovelwhelming fatigue, some days it got really bad and went on like this for about 3 months.

8. Went to several doctors there in Spain, got several prescriptions and a few shots, helped but really didn't resolve the problems.

9. Of course, even though I tried as hard as possible to keep eating and keep going to the gym, the results were not there and actually started losing weight, those few pounds I gained went down the drain while still feeling overall bad.

10. End of april 2007, went back to Mexico, family noticed something was wrong, the depression got worse and ended up in therapy, where he asked me to do some blood tests.

11. So the results came through and the therapist without hesitation told me to go see an endocrinologist ASAP. Took the results with me and went to the doctor, long story short I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, doctor said it was for sure the cause of my body and mind feeling so bad.

12. Gym results where of course secondary by then I lost considerable muscle mass during those hard months, I was araound 152 lbs back then.

13. Under treatment, better diet, training in a proper gym and with some good routines and also protein and other supps I recovered SOME results. Despite my efforts I only managed to reach 159 pounds and obviously not exactly pure lean muscle mass.

14. I tried really hard, but just could not get past that plateu, changed my routine, trained my ass off at the gym, ate big, ate dirty ate clean, tried some silly supps (I will talk about them in a separate post in this thread). Was getting frustrated and sometimes felt the drive to keep trying, gf dumped me last year and the job I had then completely sucked.

15. Never really thought back then to stop training and trying but nothing seemed to work, my doctor says it is because of my genetics but mainly because my thyroid problem, some food, some supps and even training just was not enough for my body to properly react. Hell I was even offered steroids which I respectfully rejected, doctor said it was like playing russian roulette with my thyroid gland.

AND THEN....

Fed up with the silly marketing of the supplement industry, (I'm a marketing professional so I can tell the difference between solid and crappy marketing) around late fall 2009 tried my very first Animal product in the form of AP. Discovered the web site and read as much as possible on the brand and the products.

Next entry will start describing the process my body and my results have been going through since I first opened a can of AP.

THANKS A LOT FOR READING.

Until next entry...