PDA

View Full Version : stiff legged deadlift

msktyshha
05-18-10, 12:31 pm
when doing heavy stiff legged deadlift for hamstrings, I felt my lower back is being involved too, and it's not the muscle it's the bone where I felt it, so after doing 2 reps I stopped doing it before I injured myself. I wanna know how to completely isolate your hams while doing stiff legged deadlifts. I keep my back totally straight and keep a very slight bend in the knees. How can I make my stiff legged deadlift better.

BryanSmash!
05-18-10, 12:43 pm
Do them off of 3-5" blocks, or with 25 or 35lb plates instead of 45s. Focus on keeping the bar close to your body as well.

MrMonday
05-18-10, 12:46 pm
For me, the key to keeping the strain off my lower back and putting it onto my hamstrings/glutes was two simple things:

1) contract your glutes and abs throughout the entire movement.

2) don't let the bar drift forward during the lift; let it drag down along your thighs as you push your butt straight back, then initiate the positive portion of the exercise by pushing your hips straight forward (still keeping the bar in contact with the legs). You want to keep the bar traveling as closely to your center of gravity as possible.

Also, if it makes my advice any more valid, last time I did these I repped out with 365lbs (w/ straps, and I don't mean low reps either). I have relied on this exercise for my hamstring development for a while now:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1982/003bji.jpg

msktyshha
05-18-10, 1:19 pm
thanks guys great advice, I always focus more on the stretch while doing stiff legged with moderate weight but I decided to go more heavy today but it put strain in my lower back. Next time I'll keep the bar more close to my legs and contract my glutes and abs. Another thing I wanna know is, how much of a bend should you keep in your knees, and how does it effect the lift.

tdubs
05-18-10, 3:56 pm
One tip I find really works is to do your stiff leg deads in barefeet. It helps get the load through the heels, which engages the hamstrings and glutes more. Push your hips back as if you are trying to touch the wall behind you with your ass and keep the bar close to your thighs throughout.

Hope that helps, chief.

MrMonday
05-18-10, 4:26 pm
One tip I find really works is to do your stiff leg deads in barefeet. It helps get the load through the heels, which engages the hamstrings and glutes more. Push your hips back as if you are trying to touch the wall behind you with your ass and keep the bar close to your thighs throughout.

Hope that helps, chief.

I would echo this suggestion.

Definitely don't do stiff-leg deads in raised-heel shoes. You need to be able to keep your weighted centered over your heels throughout the entire lift.

Muscleguy93
05-18-10, 5:14 pm
do some lying leg curls for the hams, like reps of 12-15 with low weight to really pump the muscle up and tire it out a little, then hit the stiff legs...doing this will really make you feel it in the hamstrings.

braves561
05-19-10, 12:51 am
I stand on one of those stepup things. Its about 6 inches off the ground.